Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Hollywood racist toward Hispanics?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Is Hollywood racist towards Hispanics?
YES
14.81%
NO
85.19%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Is Hollywood racist toward Hispanics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I have to say about George Lopez is "Fuck that Puto!!!!"
Old 07-30-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No. Every minority group thinks everyone is out to get them and that they're all racist. It's all bullshit. Also, they tend to forget that stereotypes aren't randomly created. They exist for a good reason.
Old 07-30-08, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
No. Every minority group thinks everyone is out to get them and that they're all racist. It's all bullshit. Also, they tend to forget that stereotypes aren't randomly created. They exist for a good reason.
Like the flap over Jar-Jar Binks when PHANTOM MENACE came out.
Here in Chicago we have a famous person in Ronnie Woo-Woo Wickers (Cub Fan) who acts just like Jar-Jar Binks.
Old 07-30-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
I don't think anything is 100% racist free...
Yea. Racism is almost gone. Most 'normal folks' don't really care these days. You always have your little cells of folks who hold that kind of hate. World problems revolve around comfort, money and safety and stuff. People don't really hate a certain 'race' anymore.

If a Hispanic doesn't get a role - it's because it's not made for a hispanic. Or the person isn't marketable enough. Or the execs just don't want to 'go out on a limb and hope that people like the actor'. It's not because Hollywood hates the race.
Old 07-31-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
Yea. Racism is almost gone.

Wait you were serious?
Old 07-31-08, 02:43 PM

Yea. Racism is almost gone.
In Phoenix, AZ? Sounds good.

I gotta agree with you guys above, as bad as asians have it (maybe not in terms of American population-to-screen ratio, but in marginalized roles, i.e. asian women are hot and available to all other races, but asian men are fugly)
arabs are portrayed 1.0001 dimensionally, the .001 being when they're not terrorists. I saw some good portrayals in Shaloub's character in 'The Siege' as well as the smarter son of the Amir in 'Syriana.'
Old 07-31-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My grandparents are both arabic and they always talk about this stuff, but are you guys talking about arab actors? Or arab characters?

Because Keanu Reeves is arabic and a bunch of other actors are arabaic, or part arab, but they never play the arab characters so most people never notice that they are in fact a minority.

But then if you're talking about Arab characters, most people only notice if the character either says he's arab or if they are from somewhere in saudi arabia. And usually when the story needs an arab or something, it's generally for fighting or some war story, like Antonio Bandaras in the 13th warrior or all the bad guys on 24.

So unless the neerdy character in the teen romantic comedy stops the film, looks at the audience and says Hi, I'm an arab, I can't see a way of getting around this.

I hate the pc babel, 24, crash, bullshit storys that are all "we thought you were a terrorist, but we were wrong! we should not have judged you!"

But hollywood is always really stupid when it comes to race, like crash was the first movie to come out of hollywood that said minoritys are people too and that was considered "edgy".
Old 07-31-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love how people decry that Hollywood -- the largest, most prosperous, most influential, and most revenue-generating and people-employing industry that is THE most tolerant, open-minded, and Politically Correct billion-dollar industry on the PLANET -- is somehow "racist", "homphobic", "sexist", etc.

Go into ANY other industry and see how good you have it if you're a complaining minority. Otherwise, lie back and pop open a frosty can of Shut The Fuck Up.
Old 07-31-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And as far as Arabs are concerned, check out their media and see how ethnic and religious minorities are portrayed in their countries. It sure as hell ain't pretty.
Old 07-31-08, 05:12 PM
Banned

Yea. Racism is almost gone. Most 'normal folks' don't really care these days. You always have your little cells of folks who hold that kind of hate. World problems revolve around comfort, money and safety and stuff. People don't really hate a certain 'race' anymore.

If a Hispanic doesn't get a role - it's because it's not made for a hispanic. Or the person isn't marketable enough. Or the execs just don't want to 'go out on a limb and hope that people like the actor'. It's not because Hollywood hates the race.
Well said and I wish the hosts of SHOOTOUT would have said that to George Lopez. Would have made look like deer in headlights.
Old 07-31-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
Because Keanu Reeves is arabic and a bunch of other actors are arabaic, or part arab, but they never play the arab characters so most people never notice that they are in fact a minority.
I read that he's part Asian and the reason he gets so many roles is because he doesn't look entirely Asian. Nor does he acknowledge being Asian.
Old 07-31-08, 06:06 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I dunno if Hollywood is racist, but like others have already said, they will go for projects that will make the most money, and unfortunately, Hispanic actors haven't proved to be bankable. I'd say the people who want certain types of entertainment might be racist, and that Hollywood caters to that. Racism by association? *shrugs*
Old 08-01-08, 05:15 PM
Banned

Well the Hispanic teen crowd could've lined to see CRAZY BEAUTIFUL and CARLITO'S WAY: RAISE TO POWER. And made that young actor a star, but didn't.
Old 08-01-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
He's probably just talking about his own career. I wonder if he's even seen most of the films accomplished actors like Edward James Olmos have been in. What about Cheech Marin? He's no longer "celebrity" but he's developed a solid career as a character acter in films and TV.

What about JAVIER BARDEM, who played the most memorable screen character of 2007?! And won an Oscar for it. And got huge applause when he delivered his acceptance speech in Spanish.

Jennifer Lopez? Before she threw her career down the crapper, Hollywood seemed to have high demand for her.

You want to know a group that's underrepresented in Hollywood? Norwegians.
Javier Bardem isn't Hispanic. Neither is Edward James Olmos.
Old 08-01-08, 06:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Javier Bardem isn't Hispanic. Neither is Edward James Olmos.

Olmos = Son of Mexicans
Bardem = Born in Spain
Old 08-01-08, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Crash is an overrated piece of work that is simply ok, it's concept seemed complex and large but the actual outcome was convoluted, nonsensical for it's level of absurdity, and boring as fuck. You want to talk about realistic edgy crisscrossing tales? Amores Perros.

but on the topic on hand: I think race is irrelevant. Though there is a low figure for Hispanic leads in comparison to white leads.The same can be said for African-Americans. I'm Mexican, and I don't think Hispanics are being screwed. I do realistically see though that the industry is expanding that, I mean remember the first time a minority was a lead, the story would somehow make a point why that character was the lead? That's practically gone. And all those minority projects in the states....they suck. Instead of making a film with an Hispanic a lead for race's sake, give a damn good story to the extent that race is irrelevant. I mean for example look at Gael Garcia Bernal, that man is in some great projects that are very diverse in character.
Old 08-01-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho

Olmos = Son of Mexicans
Bardem = Born in Spain
Olmos is of Spanish and Aztec descent as far as I knew (he himself was born in California I believe).

I went to m-w.com and it seems Hispanic also refers to Spanish people. I personally never thought of Spanish people being Hispanic. For me: Hispanic: South of the U.S., and Spanish - from Spain.
Old 08-02-08, 03:08 AM
Banned

Yea. Racism is almost gone. People don't really hate a certain 'race' anymore.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.
Old 08-02-08, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Well the Hispanic teen crowd could've lined to see CRAZY BEAUTIFUL and CARLITO'S WAY: RAISE TO POWER. And made that young actor a star, but didn't.
Carlito's Way: Rise To Power
was direct-to-video (and a huge hit upon said release), no-one wanted to see Crazy/Beautiful simply because it didn't look remotely interesting, and you're conveniently overlooking the fact that he was the star of hit horror flick Hostel. Lopez, you make utterly, utterly stupid arguments.

By the way, his name is Jay Hernandez. If, indeed, you even cared.

Note: I prefer to use the term "Latino", since "Hispanic" was a term dug up purely for census reasons. Friends of mine refer to themselves as Latino rather than Hispanic.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 08-02-08 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-03-08, 01:21 AM
Banned

Well, Jay did an excellent job in CRAZY/BEAUTIFUL and the movie got good reviews.
If there ever was a Latino star in the making it was him in this movie.
But the Latino community wasn't there.
And that's who's fault it is with George Lopez's comments.
He seems to want Hollywood pour money into movies that will lose money just to have a Latino staring in it. Just like "some" Latino's want open boarders and illegals made U.S. citizens.
Old 08-03-08, 01:25 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
He seems to want Hollywood pour money into movies that will lose money just to have a Latino staring in it. Just like "some" Latino's want open boarders and illegals made U.S. citizens.
I don't see the correlation.