Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tron 2 Announced at SDCC!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tron 2 Announced at SDCC!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Tron 2 Announced at SDCC!!

Originally Posted by Labor
Olivia Wilde was easily my favorite in the movie, and not just due to her look, I loved how upbeat and curious she was. Its a shame it took so long to introduce her into the movie.

If I had to pick one scene that lived up to the films potential, it would be the dogfight. Great action, great use of 3D, great music and thrilling.

Garret Hedlund isn't as bad as people are saying imo. I think he did an acceptable job
I lost count on all the negative posts but don't recall anyone singling out Hedlund. Or even mentioning him for that matter. The poor kid had zero to work with. He's a nice looking guy who did a serviceable job all things considering. I had never seen him before this film. I plan on seeing "Country Strong" because I do like Gwyneth Paltrow. I'm sure if he's decent enough actor it will come out more in a film like that.
Old 12-19-10, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I had no idea what was going on in the last half of this movie. I only watched the first Tron in it's entirety (after previously just catching bits and pieces on TV) a few weeks ago, so it was still somewhat fresh and I enjoyed it enough. The start of this movie went along fine and did a perfectly adequate job getting Sam into the grid and kicking off the action sequences. From there? Just felt like a big clusterfuck with a plot that tried to get far more deep then it needed to be.

Spoiler:
I had no idea what the deal was with the ISO's and why that altered CLU's intentions, or what they were doing with the TRON program and why he decided to randomly turn at the end. It seemed weird that all of a sudden Kevin Flynn could just take out everything at the end like that as well. I guess I missed something there. The last half of the movie felt like the Matrix or Pirates sequels, where it tried so hard to give things depth that it loses the magic. And i've never heard of Michael Sheen before, but his character was absolutely dreadful.

I didn't have any issues with the acting, loved the look and style of the movie as well as the soundtrack. And I've loved Olivia Wilde since she started on House. But yikes, I'd much rather prefer a simpler, more focused movie (or dumbed down, if you want to call it that) then what the final product was.
Old 12-19-10, 07:38 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sheen was Frost in Frost/Nixon among other flicks too....
Old 12-19-10, 07:39 AM

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Spoiler:
Tron's redemption was confusing. I didn't see any reason for him to switch sides nor any build up to it.
Spoiler:
What about how Tron and Flynn likely thought they'd never meet again? That Tron's seeing Flynn reawakened the good they were trying to do and those last moments of defending his friend? That the last time these two saw each other, they were sure the other would be dead? And ever since then, Tron has felt trapped?
Old 12-19-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Sheen was Frost in Frost/Nixon among other flicks too....
Wow, what are the odds he could play Frost in so many films?
Old 12-19-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw it on Friday. Thought it was a little bit too dense for most people except people who know Tron. Even then it is kinda confusing. I know the Matrix kinda ripped off Tron to an extent, but Zuse or Zeus or whatever, was like an extremely flaming gay Merovinginian.

Basically, for being so confusing, I really thought it was a complete rip off of the original's plot line. Wish they would have opened up the Tron world a little bit - the closed universe we saw in this Tron doesn't make sense given the technological developments that probably existed in 1989. The original Tron even stated the MCP was going to connect into the Pentagon and Kremlin's computers, given that I would have assumed that somebody in Tron Legacy world would have figured out a way to open a portal beyond the user initiated world.

Overall, I found the movie entertaining. I don't get to movies very often now with a newborn around and I wanted to see this. Having said, I saw it on non-Imax 3D and thought the 3-D was pretty poor. The only other movie I saw with 3D was Avatar, which I thought had much better 3-D effects.
Old 12-19-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Wow, what are the odds he could play Frost in so many films?

What are the odds he could play Tony Blair so many times?
Old 12-19-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Is Sheen turning into one of those great actors who will turn up in flicks just to collect a nice paycheck? Seems to be exactly what he did both in TRON and in NEW MOON (and presumingly in BREAKING DAWN as well). He's too good for this kind of material, but at least he doesn't appear to be taking the roles very seriously.
Old 12-19-10, 10:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sheen was also great in 30 Rock.
Old 12-19-10, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Is Sheen turning into one of those great actors who will turn up in flicks just to collect a nice paycheck? Seems to be exactly what he did both in TRON and in NEW MOON (and presumingly in BREAKING DAWN as well). He's too good for this kind of material, but at least he doesn't appear to be taking the roles very seriously.
He's old. It's time to be funny.

See Robert DeNiro.
Old 12-19-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
Sheen was also great in 30 Rock.
Completely forgot about him on there. Yes, he was great.

I nominate him for a Razzie for his performance in "Tron". Funny, I can take. Hammy? No.
Old 12-19-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
He's old. It's time to be funny.
Hey! Screw you, he's only 3 years older than me!
Old 12-19-10, 12:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Completely forgot about him on there. Yes, he was great.

I nominate him for a Razzie for his performance in "Tron". Funny, I can take. Hammy? No.
But how awesome would he be in a David Bowie biopic? Seriously.
Old 12-19-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
That would be a good choice.
Old 12-19-10, 01:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Although I will say, Tilda Swinton is currently a dead ringer for David Bowie circa 1976:

Old 12-19-10, 01:23 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Tron: Legacy is a great movie-going experience. Complaining about the plot is kinda pointless, considering that the first movie didn’t make much sense if you thought about it too much. The point is whether or not we buy the performances and their concern for the plot, which is all that really matters in a TRON film IMO. Oh, and cool games/chase scenes, which surpassed all my expectations. Solid performances all around. I’m still waiting for the original Tron to show up on Blu ray, which could have catapulted the film’s opening weekend take, which still isn’t disappointing no matter what the mainstream media would like us to believe.
Old 12-19-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I will say, Tilda Swinton is currently a dead ringer for David Bowie circa 1976:
I dont' know why that makes her so much hotter to me.
Old 12-19-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Tilda Swinton needs to do a combined biopic of David Bowie and Conan O'Brien.
Old 12-19-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first thought when I saw Sheen's character was "Bowie!" so I didn't have a problem with the over-the-top performance as I figured that's who he was intentionally channeling. But it's details like this -- and many others that allude to the original Tron and the early '80s -- that, while cool to me (I dug the references to Journey, a young Jeff Bridges, arcades, etc.), will probably alienate a teen audience.

Highlights: every scene Wilde is in; the hand-to-hand combat (whomever is directing the G.I. Joe sequel should take some notes); the light cycles; the costume design (loved the look of Tron); the music...

And the low: Didn't care for the lead and kept wishing for fewer one-liners. And the bit on the way to the portal draaaagged.

Enjoyed it though and my 8-year-old had a blast. My dad took me when I was 9, so was a huge treat for me to so the same for my boy.

Last edited by TimeandTide; 12-19-10 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-19-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh, as a moderate fan of the original, I went into this one with fairly low expectations, and totally loved it. It kept the feel of the original, but it felt like a more fully realized world. Great soundtrack, and I was digging some of the deeper themes explored:

Spoiler:
* Eastern religious approach of getting rid of desires/self interest vs. Judeo-Christian emphasis on individuality and action

* Frankenstein-type themes of Flynn playing God and creating own universe but his flawed human nature led to reprehensible results/ CLU as monster

* both Flynns in Jesus-type role of coming down and living as a program

* CLU as Satan-type creature, given power by Flynn/God, but rebelling against that authority and becoming evil

* Zeus/paganism as false gods?

* the idea of the independent lifeforms originating in the grid, and the questions that raises

Now sure, a lot of the stuff in this movie we've already seen in the original Tron, The Matrix, Star Wars, etc. But I felt they were at least done pretty well here, and the story held together for me enough that I was engaged with the characters and their plight. Also, I found the costume and set design, since they had to reference the original, to be a bit more quaint and less self-consciously hip and cool than they were in, say, the Matrix. And yes, great score. I enjoyed the heck out of this one.
Old 12-19-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed. Actually saw the film twice over the weekend. Once with my 11-year-old son in 2D on Friday and we both loved it. Saturday was a rare night out with the guys and I got to take in the IMAX 3-D presentation. While I agree the plot is somewhat dense and the film could stand a trim here and there, the visuals more than made up for it. Bridges provided the emotional connection to make me care about the fates of the other characters. Pretty solid effort. I'm curious to see if there will be future film visits to the Tron world.

Last edited by dvduser6; 12-19-10 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-19-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it today in IMAX and absolutely loved it.
Spoiler:
I thought it was clever that Flynn still talked like it was the 80's using words like radical
Old 12-19-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I took my family to see this today, and everyone liked it. Actually, my daughter and I loved it. It was a lot of fun.

Yeah, the mid section drags a bit, but there's so much to go over that I don't have a problem with it. The movie took on some more serious themes and had some interesting philosophical points that gave the story more depth than I expected.

While it wasn't a perfect movie, it was good. And above and beyond the story and acting the visuals and score were phenomenal.

It's well worth seeing if you've ever enjoyed the original Tron at all, and even if you haven't it's still a good movie on it's own.
Old 12-19-10, 09:00 PM

I saw TRON LEGACY yesterday ... I loved it! I still can't believe they made a sequel to TRON. I can understand a lot of the criticisms the movie is getting. But I still had fun seeing a wonderful movie from my childhood getting reintroduced to a new generation in a new and exciting way. The Daft Punk score was also out of this world.

And yes, Olivia Wilde was simply gorgeous!
Old 12-20-10, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The scene with Flynn when he shows up in the club was a better Jedi moment than than anything in Star Wars Episode I-III.

Frankly, it's good that they didn't explain everything. Look at what explaining "The force" did to the franchise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.