Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Deer Hunter

Old 07-10-08, 10:10 PM
Ram
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Deer Hunter

What do you guys think about this movie?

I like the Russian Roulette scenes.
Old 07-10-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never watched it. But i've heard its quite good. But it just seems like another war film. Is it any different than the other war movies out there?
Old 07-10-08, 10:16 PM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mhg83
I've never watched it. But i've heard its quite good. But it just seems like another war film. Is it any different than the other war movies out there?
it's mostly about these people's lives before and after the war, and not so much the war itself.

the film is a masterpiece.
Old 07-10-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never seen it. I feel as though I should try to check it out someday though.
Old 07-10-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
It wasn't a war movie like I was expecting, so I was in the wrong frame of mind. The performances were quite good, but I wasn't very into the film.

I plan to rewatch it at some point, since I know what I'm getting into this time.
Old 07-10-08, 11:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 156 Likes on 137 Posts
Ram,
you don't answer pm, but you can do a search: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=506382
Old 07-11-08, 12:29 AM

Absolutely love it.

It caught me off guard at first. I expected something different. I don't know why. I had done zero research on the movie before the viewing, but afterwards, it was a movie that I had to watch again, and loved it, again.
Old 07-11-08, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PERFECT! that what this movie is enough said.

The last Russian Roulette scene get's me everytime.
Old 07-11-08, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i guess i get to be the one to crap on it a tad, sure the russian roullette scenes are very well done and effective, but the wedding scene feels endless and really drags the movie down in the first hour. i read somewhere that the reason for the scene, is that the director wanted to top the wedding scene in the Godfather.
Old 07-11-08, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i guess i get to be the one to crap on it a tad, sure the russian roullette scenes are very well done and effective, but the wedding scene feels endless and really drags the movie down in the first hour. i read somewhere that the reason for the scene, is that the director wanted to top the wedding scene in the Godfather.
The reason for the lengthy opening scenes in the U.S., including the wedding, is to establish the relationships between the characters and what their lives and personalities were like before the war. They're smalltown, blue-collar workers, with friends, family, faith and community. Without knowing that information in such authentic detail, seeing the effects the war had on them wouldn't be nearly as powerful or heartbreaking.

It's not a fast-paced, slam-bang action-oriented war movie. Anyone who goes into it with that mindset is sure to be disappointed. In fact, "The Deer Hunter" is so unlike any other movie, it's often unsettling on first viewing. It's a movie that greatly rewards patience and rewatching.
Old 07-11-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's a great movie...

a classic...

everyone who loves cinema should see it at least twice...
Old 07-11-08, 07:32 PM
Cool New Member

The Deer Hunter is definitely an awesome movie.