Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Fincher, 2008)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Fincher, 2008)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Fincher, 2008)

Originally Posted by riley_dude
From funnyordie.com

I liked The Curious Case of Benjamin Button the first time around when it was released under the title Forrest Gump. Our friends at Funny or Die have put together a great video comparing the similarities of the two films....http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1d7...p-from-fgump44
It's interesting because I didn't know going into the film that the same person wrote Gump and Button, but I certainly had the feeling that it had that Gump feel to it. Here's the thing though: I hate Gump and I loved Button. In the end, it had to do with the fact that I believed in Button's world (and, yes, I know this sounds crazy because he is a person that ages backwards). I think this has to do with Fincher's directing and IMO, better acting, than anything else.

I certainly observed the Gump similarities and I think this is a testament to certain intangibles (that are not easily defined) that can alter the film-going experience. These movies are similar (and written by the same person) and I hate one and love the other.
Old 01-19-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There were great moments here, and a Fincher film is always a marvel to look at, but it could have been so much better with a different writer and without the pretend "epicness".
Old 03-01-09, 01:51 AM

How Benjamin Button got his face

This is a bit nerdy but I thought it would be cool to share this.

Ed Ulbrich, the digital-effects guru from Digital Domain, explains the Oscar-winning technology that allowed his team to digitally create the older versions of Brad Pitt's face for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

LINK
ted.com/talks/ed_ulbrich_shows_how_benjamin_button_got_his_face.html
Old 03-01-09, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: How Benjamin Button got his face

This might be better served in the existing Benjamin Button thread, instead of a brand new thread.
Old 05-10-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Saw it last night. Maybe I'm too literal, but it bugged me that no one in the movie barely questioned or mentioned the movie's main hook that of a man being born and aging backwards. The one notable exception was when Ben decided to leave Daisy. I thought it would have been interesting to have the characters explore that a bit more.
Old 05-11-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just watched it today, i really enjoyed it. I actually have a question (probably can be anwsered by someone who has the criterion dvd), in the end credits it mentions 2 other people playing Ben Buttons as an old man. Was it Brad under the makeup, just on someone elses' body using cgi or something else or what. And to be honest, it didn't really feel all that long (or at least there was no looking at the clock, or hoping that it would end soon)

Also makeup wise, i was more amazed at how well they made Brad look really young towards the end, and also i didn't realize that was Cate Blanchette under the old lady makeup as well till prob about half way through
Old 05-11-09, 05:48 PM

I enjoy this film quite alot! The performances by Pitt, & Blanchett are very strong and impressive. And OMG the make-up & special visual effects are amazing! A truly great film!
Old 06-20-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Finaly watched this last week. Talk about disappointing! I was bored to tears half the time. Way too long and, once you get used to his condition, there's nothing to keep you hooked. It's like Forrest Gump, if you take away all of the cool shit he did, that is. I didn't even feel like the romance between Benjamin and Daisy was developed enough to show it really meant something. And it was creepy when, even though he was technically a kid, Benjamin looked like an old perverted man lusting after a pre-pubescent girl. Aside from some great make-up effects and production design, this was one Fincher films I'll probably never watch again.
Old 06-20-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riley_dude
From funnyordie.com

I liked The Curious Case of Benjamin Button the first time around when it was released under the title Forrest Gump. Our friends at Funny or Die have put together a great video comparing the similarities of the two films....http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1d7...p-from-fgump44
New link:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/35b...f-forrest-gump

Yeah, that's pretty funny and pretty accurate.

If you see only one version of Forrest Gump this year, make it the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It's exactly like Gump... except, no AIDS. Playing at a theater near you. Again.
I just saw the Curious Case of Forrest Gump, er, Benjamin Button a couple of months ago - I agree that it's an OK movie. Worth watching once but no more, definately just rent the DVD (don't buy it).
Old 04-06-11, 06:50 PM

I just watched this and in all honesty I think this is Fincher's best film, beating out Seven and even Fight Club. One of the most well written and compelling stories I've seen in a long long time.

Great movie.
Old 04-06-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OutRun2
I just watched this and in all honesty I think this is Fincher's best film, beating out Seven and even Fight Club. One of the most well written and compelling stories I've seen in a long long time.

Great movie.
I will have to disagree with your assessment.

Never mind Seven and Fight Club, have you seen Zodiac or The Social Network?

I actually prefer Panic Room, The Game and (gasp) Alien 3 over Benjamin Button.

I think it's Fincher's worst film. The CC DVD is fantastic though.

Glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps I need to revisit it.
Old 04-06-11, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I will have to disagree with your assessment.

Never mind Seven and Fight Club, have you seen Zodiac or The Social Network?

I actually prefer Panic Room, The Game and (gasp) Alien 3 over Benjamin Button.

I think it's Fincher's worst film. The CC DVD is fantastic though.

Glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps I need to revisit it.
DVD? It's merely good in comparison to the BD. Gotta upgrade, my friend.
Old 12-22-12, 12:05 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It took me four years, but I finally saw this. Got the Blu-ray for $6 as a Black Friday presale. The funny thing is that when I posted about getting it on Facebook, I had a deluge of friends telling me how it was one of the worst films they've ever seen, so it was strange to go through this thread and find that almost everyone loved it when it came out. I wonder if people's opinions have changed.

I liked it, but didn't love it. I never felt a connection to Benjamin or Daisy. They were on the screen, I enjoyed the performances, but never felt like I was watching real people doing real things. It all felt so artificial and put on. I hated the CGI. Didn't believe it for a second. Prosthetics would have been much better. This might be Fincher's worst film, or maybe the second worst after Panic Room.
Old 12-23-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It took me four years, but I finally saw this. Got the Blu-ray for $6 as a Black Friday presale. The funny thing is that when I posted about getting it on Facebook, I had a deluge of friends telling me how it was one of the worst films they've ever seen, so it was strange to go through this thread and find that almost everyone loved it when it came out. I wonder if people's opinions have changed.
If I was around when Benjamin Button came out, I have no doubt my opinion would be as hateful as it is now. Fincher's worst film by far. The worst film ever? No but it feels like one of the blandest films ever. It's expertly crafted but so what? I can eat all the right things to produce the brownest, shiniest shit but it's still shit.
Old 12-23-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still like it. I think it's better than TGWTDT (which I liked in theater but multiple viewings revealed that its slower than watching paint dry)
Old 12-24-12, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Nope. Still hate it. It's expertly crafted, no doubt, but an altogether pointless endeavor. My least favorite Fincher movie by FAR. I don't care for Julio Jo, he will set your treehouse on fire.
Old 12-24-12, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I hated this when my brother rented the DVD. I was only half paying attention, but thought it seemed pretty darn pretentious. But stupid me, I bought the BD from a Blockbuster 5 for $20 sale last year (it was a Criterion for $4, I couldn't resist! ).

Finally watched it again the other night (took two sittings to get through). Certainly a technically well made film, but it's void of any real soul. Every shot is art directed within an inch of it's life. Pitt and Blanchett have zero chemistry together and nothing in the film feels spontaneous or genuine. I'm shocked any of the actors received Oscar noms. Henson was fine as Queenie, but what about that performance screamed "Give that woman an award!"?. Brad's questionable accent alone should have put him out of the running. I feel Julia Ormond gave the best (and most understated) performance in the entire film.
Old 12-24-12, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Also I may have mentioned this before, but how the hell did Button end up knowing every single circumstance of the events leading up to Cate Blanchett's accident? Not even Sherlock Holmes would care enough to figure it out that far down the line.
Old 12-24-12, 03:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I took that as either a cinematic contrivance or he made it up to show how any little thing could have prevented the accident from happening, but didn't.
Old 12-24-12, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically sound, but horribly boring movie. I saw it in theaters and regretted it. I'll never watch it again.