DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Fincher, 2008) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/532179-curious-case-benjamin-button-fincher-2008-a.html)

PopcornTreeCt 05-23-08 09:31 PM

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Fincher, 2008)

The Curious Case of the Benjamin Button

Youtube Trailer

imdb synopsis:

Tells the story of Benjamin Button, a man who starts aging backwards with bizarre consequences.

Directed by David Fincher

Starring:

Brad Pitt
Cate Blanchett
Tilda Swinton

Release Date: December 19th, 2008

+++

Trailer got me excited. This one looks great.

RyoHazuki 05-23-08 09:35 PM

Agreed this looks fantastic. Best picture contender methinks.

MBoyd 05-23-08 09:46 PM

Yeah I really liked the look of it. Didn't know it was Fincher, that makes it even better.

GatorDeb 05-23-08 09:53 PM

I'll be there opening week.

riotinmyskull 05-23-08 10:12 PM

let's hope this one gets some oscar attention. i hated seeing ZODIAC not nominated for a single thing.

Daytripper 05-23-08 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
let's hope this one gets some oscar attention. i hated seeing ZODIAC not nominated for a single thing.

Shame on Fincher for releasing it in January. Isn't "Silence of the Lambs" one of the few movies to win major awards that had been out for nearly a year before the Oscars? "Zodiac" did get robbed. And, again, I blame the release date.

TomOpus 05-23-08 10:50 PM

Heard about the movie some time ago (anything Fincher does, gets my attention) but today at Indy was the first time I've seen the trailer.

Looks amazing and I like it's release date.

Seantn 05-23-08 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Shame on Fincher for releasing it in January. Isn't "Silence of the Lambs" one of the few movies to win major awards that had been out for nearly a year before the Oscars? "Zodiac" did get robbed. And, again, I blame the release date.

Wasn't in March?

Mr. Salty 05-23-08 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Shame on Fincher for releasing it in January.

As if the release date was up to Fincher (and it was released in March, not January).

A lot of factors, including studio politics, go into how heavily a movie is promoted by the studios for Oscar consideration. Paramount released both "Zodiac" and "There Will Be Blood." Usually studios don't compete against themselves for the major awards. Although the release of "Zodiac" early in the year may have been a factor, I suspect the bigger factor was that Paramount put all its promotional effort behind "There Will Be Blood."

CKMorpheus 05-24-08 12:10 AM

I'll be first in line! Can't wait. Saw the great trailer before Indy 4 and it got the whole theater talking.

kstublen 05-24-08 12:11 AM

Saw the trailer before Indiana Jones on Thursday. Looks very intriguing.

Aegean2007 05-24-08 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Saw the great trailer before Indy 4 and it got the whole theater talking.

I wish my theater was like that! It was seriously dead silent after that trailer (I had a huge smile on my face), but the whole theater was in uproarious laughter after "Kung Fu Panda"...

Brack 05-24-08 12:44 AM

I am looking forward to this as well.

Cosmic Bus 05-24-08 12:53 AM

Was happy to see this trailer tonight, since I'd heard it was attached to Indiana Jones but Regal here often leaves off previews seen elsewhere. I love the lack of a synopsis via voiceover, simply letting the film speak for itself (for now, at least). And those visuals! Absolutely breathtaking.

These two minutes more than made up for the terrible mess that was Indy IV. :)

Zen Peckinpah 05-24-08 08:46 AM

Count me in. An extremely intriguing teaser, and anything Fincher usually guarantees my interest. Maybe they'll finally give him his dues for getting fucked over on the raw deal Zodiac got.

starseed1981 05-24-08 09:32 AM

Fincher + Pitt = SOLD

MoviePage 05-24-08 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Fincher + Pitt = SOLD

+ Blanchett + Swinton = SOLDx2

RichC2 05-24-08 10:31 AM

imdb.com has the budget listed as $150m.

Not sure what that will end up being (imdb on pre-release movies isn't exactly accurate), but that seems oddly high for a movie adaptation of a F. Scott Fitzgerald story.

I'm stoked to see it.

discostu1337 05-24-08 10:39 AM

guess I'm the only one who thought the teaser looked pretty lame. However, I have been waiting for about 2 years for this movie, and Fincher rules...so who knows...

RichC2 05-24-08 10:41 AM

Is the one in theaters the same as this one? This one comes off a tad like a perfume commercial more than anything.

PopcornTreeCt 05-24-08 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Is the one in theaters the same as this one? This one comes off a tad like a perfume commercial more than anything.

It appears to be the same except the line at the end is in another language.

Sessa17 05-24-08 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage
+ Blanchett + Swinton = SOLDx2

Yup, that's what has be excited for the film. Not a Pitt fan & all & Fincher is way more miss than hit for me.

IMO the two best actresses going right now in the same film.

beavismom 05-24-08 11:50 PM

The trailer looks good but I will be seeing it anyway since I know one of actresses playing the younger Cate Blanchett role.

Seven%Solution 05-25-08 01:35 AM

Who is the actress at the 1:28 mark in the trailer? She looks so familiar. I can't find her listed on IMDB. It looks like Blanchett, but I could swear it isn't.

Joe Molotov 05-25-08 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It appears to be the same except the line at the end is in another language.

I like how the title proudly proclaims it to be the "English Trailer", despite the fact that it clearly isn't. :lol:

Anyway, it looks interesting and I'm really excited about it.