Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aliens and the Nuked Fridge have been around since a 1992 treatment Darabont had NOTHING to do with. The first of many screenplays using this was Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from mars, which was written around 1993-1996. A draft of the script had been online since the late 90's. I'm surprised more people don't know about this.
Old 06-12-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is info on one of the first versions of Indy 4, from the mid 90's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana...m_Mars_(script)

http://www.theindyexperience.com/fil..._4_scripts.php
Old 06-12-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 335 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Was Darabont's the original script? from the sound of it, these things may have existed before that.
The Fridge stuff wasn't in the Chris Columbus' "Monkey King" script (also pretty bad, BTW) from the 90's -the only thing I remember in that script that made it into INDY IV was the "Mac" character.

I haven't read the Jeb Stuart script.

EDIT: I just skimmed the Stuart script - the fridge scene is in there too, although much later in the movie. Yep, looks like this was a Lucas idea that he insisted Darabont keep.

BTW, Stuart's script has much more of the 1950's Sci-Fi B-Movie "feel" to it than even the final version of INDY IV. Much more "saucer action" at the end of this one.

Sheesh - with these three scripts to work from, it's no wonder Koepp couldn't put together a better screenplay. It's also no wonder why INDY IV took 20 years to make - those are some painful reads. Still, Darabont's is, I believe, the corniest of the three...at least Columbus and Stuart try to take Indy seriously. Darabont's is filled with all this silly "one liners" and "cute" references.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 06-12-08 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-12-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
At this rate, I'm surprised there wasn't a big giant mechanical spider and a fight with polar bears in the arctic.
Old 06-12-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The Fridge stuff wasn't in the Chris Columbus' "Monkey King" script (also pretty bad, BTW) from the 90's -the only thing I remember in that script that made it into INDY IV was the "Mac" character.

EDIT: I just skimmed the Stuart script - the fridge scene is in there too, although much later in the movie. Yep, looks like this was a Lucas idea that he insisted Darabont keep.

BTW, Stuart's script has much more of the 1950's Sci-Fi B-Movie "feel" to it than even the final version of INDY IV. Much more "saucer action" at the end of this one.

Sheesh - with these three scripts to work from, it's no wonder Koepp couldn't put together a better screenplay. It's also no wonder why INDY IV took 20 years to make - those are some painful reads. Still, Darabont's is, I believe, the corniest of the three...at least Columbus and Stuart try to take Indy seriously. Darabont's is filled with all this silly "one liners" and "cute" references.
I dunno how I feel about that, Darabont does have stilted dialog in his movies, but at the same time, a lot of 50s scifi pics had really corny dialogue... faithful or just bad?

I enjoyed the movie, but it isn't all the memorable. I'm over it, next?
Old 06-12-08, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

I'm having trouble tracking the current Lucas-bashing. Lemme see - we are just assuming Lucas insisted on keeping the frig scene, but it has been reported numerous times that he nixed Darabont's now unpopular treatment of a script - the same script that Amistad's Steven Spielberg and Hollywood Homicide's Harrison Ford fell in love with.

So Lucas is bad for Indy right, but not that bad? What about the posters who seemed quite certain about the grandness of Darabont's script several pages ago in this thread.

Oh that's right, raped childhood and such ...
Old 06-12-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
If you're trying to suggest Amistad is a bad film, keep trying.

There's no doubt Ford has picked some real clunkers in the past 10 years, but Spielberg has managed to retain and grow his directorial skills while Lucas seems to have regressed if anything.

And I make these comments again reiterating that I am a fan of the SW prequels. However IMO the quality gap between Indy IV and the first three is much wider than the SW OT and PT quality gap.
Old 06-12-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
IMO the quality gap between Indy IV and the first three is much wider than the SW OT and PT quality gap.
Nah. Lucas's dunderheaded, misguided SW prequels betrayed a universe. The Indy sequels, all silly and wholly separate from the original Raiders, have all been mostly standalone (increasingly ridiculous) adventures and therefore easier to swallow. But still mostly dumb.
Old 06-12-08, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
If you're trying to suggest Amistad is a bad film, keep trying.
What, no defense of Hollywood Homicides?

I actually liked Amistad more than a lot of other recent Spielberg films, but I thought it "read" funnier than most of those. My point is that I personally don't think Spielberg and Ford have been at the top of their game, or at least the best judges of material in recent years.

Certainly, a majority on this forum would say the same thing about Lucas, but that is why we all use words like "personally" and "in my opinion."

Last edited by lawyer goodwill; 06-12-08 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-12-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does Lucas have a Indy cartoon in the works too?
Old 06-12-08, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by big whoppa
I wish ... I would prefer something Thunderbird-esque in style!
Old 06-12-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lawyer goodwill
I wish ... I would prefer something Thunderbird-esque in style!
I'd be game for that!
Old 06-13-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd actually love to see a pulpy animated series that could recall the original concept art for Raiders.

http://www.theraider.net/films/raide...ngof/mo_02.jpg
http://www.theraider.net/films/raide...ngof/mo_03.jpg
http://www.theraider.net/films/raide...ngof/mo_04.jpg
http://www.theraider.net/films/raide...ngof/mo_11.jpg
Old 06-13-08, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
Nah. Lucas's dunderheaded, misguided SW prequels betrayed a universe. The Indy sequels, all silly and wholly separate from the original Raiders, have all been mostly standalone (increasingly ridiculous) adventures and therefore easier to swallow. But still mostly dumb.
Well said! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 06-13-08, 11:44 AM

I'd be game for that!
I would, too. Through animation, Indy's adventures could span the globe and mix the supernatural at the stroke of a pen - or a computer keyboard.
Old 06-13-08, 09:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so I finally saw this tonight, at the Uptown and while I thought the whole premise and execution of the film felt a tad too goofy in places, I still enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.
Old 06-14-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 937 Likes on 661 Posts
Finally saw it tonight. Packed house. Liked it, not loved it. I'll have to see it again to determine that. Would probably rank it the same as everyone else. Just above Temple but behind Ark & Crusade. I have the same complaints as everyone else, fridge/tarzan/aliens, but it was still a damn fun ride. I was surprised that the CGI didn't look near as bad as in the trailers. The jeep scene followed by the ants was spectacular.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
It is a serious treat to see Indy back on the big screen. Watching him after all these years, all I could think of was how many poor imitations we've seen (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Tomb Raider, National Treasure), and how good of a team Spielberg and Ford make. When Indy cracks that famous smile, you can't help but smile yourself.

I'd say the film is better than Temple of Doom, but not quite as good as The Last Crusade (obviously not as good as Raiders). Certain elements feel a little too rushed (I could have watched ten hours of Allen and Ford getting into their little arguments), and honestly the whole thing felt like it was over a little too soon, but I sincerely hope that this isn't Indy's last outing. If it is, it's a damn good way to go out.
I couldn't agree more. I see that Darabont is getting some shit on his take. I haven't read it but to my understanding we have him to thank for getting Marion into the script. I think he at least deserves that. I think she stole the movie. My absolute favorite moment of the film was the look of a giddy schoolgirl she had when Indy told her that the problem with all the other women he's been with was that they weren't her. It's those little character moments that make the film. I'd almost say they compensate for some of the absolute ridiculousness in the film.

Also loved the nod to Han Solo's famous line, "I've got a bad feeling about this." Subtle and cool. Also liked the nod to the 'Saucer men' title.
Old 06-15-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 198 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
so I finally saw this tonight, at the Uptown and while I thought the whole premise and execution of the film felt a tad too goofy in places, I still enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.
Spot on.

I finally saw it today, too, w/ my dad, brother and my brother-in-law. All four of us enjoyed it.

***1/2 out of five.

I had lowered my expectations so much that it was much better than I thought it would be. There were a couple of scenes that I could have done w/out, particularly the aforementioned monkey/vine swinging, but overall I was more than happy. I watched the first three over the weekend in preparation, so it was nice to see a few nods to the earlier films/casts. Some of the dialogue between Indy and Marion seemed a bit forced, not to mention that Karen Allen seemed a bit rusty to begin with.
Old 06-16-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
At this rate, I'm surprised there wasn't a big giant mechanical spider and a fight with polar bears in the arctic.
Old 06-18-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
Some of the dialogue between Indy and Marion seemed a bit forced, not to mention that Karen Allen seemed a bit rusty to begin with.
i finally got to this last friday also and i agree, she seemed a little off. other that a fridge scene and some over the top ending, i really enjoyed the film. it wasn't that these scenes killed it either, it just seemed like it went a little too far.
Old 06-18-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
My thought is that it comes no where near the quality of Spielberg and Lucas' early work in the series, so it's a major disappointment. However, I don't think it hurts the series like the Star Wars prequels did, and I can even appreciate the fact that it provides closure for the characters.

All nitpicking aside, I get the sense that the story thinks it's clever when the audience is always three steps ahead of it. And, frankly, it's just plain poor. However, I can imagine it would have worked better as the third Indiana Jones movie when everyone involved was still at the top of their game. Last Crusade always felt like a shameless retread of Raiders to me. Crystal Skull at least tries to be an original sequel just like Temple of Doom tried something different.

I feel if Crystal Skull was made 20 years ago and included Sean Connery, it would have been a worthy addition to the series.
Old 07-07-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 638 Likes on 512 Posts
Finally saw it this weekend. I was definitely underwhelmed. Perhaps Spielberg and Lucas should be permanently banned from revisiting any of their franchises.
Old 07-07-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Finally saw it this weekend. I was definitely underwhelmed. Perhaps Spielberg and Lucas should be permanently banned from revisiting any of their franchises.
Couldn't give two craps about Lucas and his junk, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of Stevie's old stuff revisited. A new Jurassic Park movie as long as he directs might be cool. Maybe a bigger budget remake of Duel. No matter what he does, please, for the love of God, leave Jaws alone though.
Old 07-07-08, 02:03 PM

I wonder if the Crystal Skull aliens built that temple in the opening scene of Raiders. A booby-trap set off by a broken beam of light seems a little too sophisticated for the Hovitos to come up with on their own.

Just some idle speculation in the summer heat...
Old 10-02-08, 08:21 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Just saw this on dvd and hmmmm, not terrible but rather disappointing

i thought Harrison still pulled off an older Indy quite well. I'm over Shia Leboef, he is being overexposed.

The story was just lacklustre

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.