Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel announces release dates....

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Marvel announces release dates....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
See...I think she's too small in height to do that...but I mean fuck, If they can make James Marsden taller than Hugh Jackman in the X films (by the use of crates from what Singer said)...why not? Also..Who would be Pietro?
Old 09-15-08, 04:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is Scarlet Witch a common Avengers character? I always thought she was an X-Men villain.

And my guess on Longoria is Wasp.
Old 09-15-08, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Is Scarlet Witch a common Avengers character? I always thought she was an X-Men villain.

And my guess on Longoria is Wasp.
She started out as a villain, as her and Quicksilver are Magneto's kids, but they both ended up being good and became Avengers members.
Old 09-15-08, 06:13 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/s/scarletwitch.htm

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The X-Men stuff passed me by. I only ever remembered her as an Avengers member appearing in the black & white reprints I used to read in the UK many moons ago. Per a Wiki-bio page:
"Once Pietro and Wanda reach adolescence, they discover that they are in fact mutants. Pietro possesses superhuman speed, while Wanda learns that she can control probability. When the pair display their powers in public, and are again attacked by a superstitious crowd, they are saved by their father - now the supervillain Magneto - although neither Magneto nor his children are aware of their connection. Magneto then recruits the pair for the first incarnation of his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. The Brotherhood battles the X-Men on several occasions, although the twins become reluctant members and only remain because of their obligation to Magneto. When Magneto and his lackey the Toad are abducted by the cosmic entity the Stranger, the Brotherhood dissolves and the twins declare their debt to Magneto to have been paid. Soon after Magneto's abduction, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are recruited by the hero Iron Man to join the Avengers. Along with Captain America as leader and former villain Hawkeye, the four become the second generation of Avengers...."
Old 09-28-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Kenneth Branagh to direct Thor?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1
Old 09-29-08, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Thats fucking ridiculous but I'd see it no doubt.
Old 09-29-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I've always liked Branagh. I think he can handle it.
Old 09-29-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So that means that Branagh is going to cast Emma Thompson as Thor's momma...
Old 09-29-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^You know they divorced right? I think Branagh is actually a really good choice, his direction is very solid IMO.
Old 09-30-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Branagh has been confirmed:

MARVEL MOVIE MANIA

According to Variety, Marvel has extended their deal with Paramount, which will distribute their future films "Iron Man 2" (May 7, 2010), "Thor" (July 16, 2010, and Kenneth Branagh has been confirmed as the director), "The First Avenger: Captain America" (May 6, 2011) and "The Avengers" (July 15, 2011).
Old 09-30-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's confirmed that he's in negotiations (and it'll probably happen since it made its way to Variety) but I haven't seen or heard anything about a deal yet. That "confirmed" line in parenthesis was added by a website to a press release about the Paramount deal.
Old 09-30-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well good for Branagh. Should be a good commerical hit for him. Maybe he can start making these every so often and get some funding to do more Shakespeare.
Old 09-30-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, Thor is my favorite Marvel character and the book right now is pretty damn good with Straczynski (sp) writing it, with the one shots by Faction. So I hope this one turns out as well as Iron Man did.
Old 09-30-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
They're going to follow the Straczynski model of how to handle Thor with Modern day interaction. So it should be good.
Old 10-14-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Hulk to be the villian in The Avengers?

http://movies.ign.com/articles/919/919596p1.html

"Iron Man scribes Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby have told MTV Movies that all the events in the various Marvel films are leading up to the superheroes battling The Hulk in The Avengers movie.

Fergus said: "I hope The Avengers embraces that. You don't want like 10 super-badass good guys fighting together. Where's the fun in that? Let's break it off a little. Friends or colleagues who become enemies is always an interesting thing because you know it's based on love and friendship and that's always the worst thing to have turn bad - someone you actually care about and someone you actually believe in."

"I personally like when good-guy characters have to fight each other," he went on. "Good guys going against good guys who both believe in an issue is way more interesting than a villain clearly into evil and I like when former friends become committed enemies."

All will be revealed when the movie hits our screens in 2011."
Old 10-14-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ I think I've read that somewhere before as well. Probably it was just speculation also. But this would be a nice way to break the mold of the genre a bit.
Old 10-14-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
That sort of follows the original origin:

From Wikipedia:

The first adventure features the Asgardian trickster god, Loki, who seeks revenge against his adopted brother, Thor. Using an illusion, Loki tricks the Hulk into destroying a railroad track, after that he then diverts a radio call by Rick Jones for help to Thor, whom Loki hopes will battle the Hulk. Unknown to Loki, the radio call is also answered by Ant-Man, the Wasp and Iron Man. After an initial misunderstanding, the heroes unite and defeat Loki. Ant-Man states the five work well together and suggests they form a combined team — with the Wasp naming the group the Avengers.

Or maybe they're gonna go The Ultimates route with them battling an out-of-control Hulk wanting to stop Betty's date with Freddie Prinze, Jr.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 10-14-08 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-14-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Is the rumor that Guillermo Del Toro directing Dr. Strange with Neil Gaiman writing the script going to be true? That well be awesome if that happen.
Old 10-14-08, 11:41 AM
Banned

Oh shit...that would be awesome! But it seems Delo Toro has his fucking plate full till 2017 with Universal and the Hobbit films specifically atm. That's not even adding if and when Hellboy III will even come to a full pre-production stage.

EDIT: Well The Del Toro part directing would be badass, I dunno about Gaiman writing though...

Also...I'm assuming this is still the Banner/Hulk on the run as the misunderstood Monster being taken down by our Heroes, which is cool. Banner by now has control of The Hulk one would assume by the end of the last film. So...a lot of pissed off Hulk for sure cuz he's still misunderstood and I hope he talks a lot more..you know. Simple Hulk speak...Hulk Smash, Puny man, Tin Man, etc

Last edited by Solid Snake; 10-14-08 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-14-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Having Hulk as the villain is retarded.
Baiting Hulk to fight some other main villain, which involves him fighting the Avengers is awesome.

Hulk should be used in the same way as he was in Ultimate Avengers books and the Next Avengers cartoon movie.

The main villain of The Avengers movie should be a famous Avengers villain:

BARON ZEMO would be good but he may not be able to be used since his look-a-like - Cobra Commander - will be hitting the screens first in G.I. JOE (unless the G.I. JOE movie doesn't use a hooded KKK-looking version).

KANG would be good too.

But the best villain for The Avengers movie should be ULTRON. If the Ant-Man movie comes out before The Avengers, they can even start the origin of Ultron in that film, in which Hank Pym creates Ultron - at the end of the Ant-Man film, they can have an almost fully functional Ultron laying on the laboratory table, his eyes can light up a la Terminator, then cut to the end credits.

It will all be good timing with all the upcoming superhero movies. Then in THE AVENGERS movie, if Ultron is the villain, they can have Ultron create Vision, whom would be a popular underdog Avenger character because he's similar to WATCHMEN's Dr. Manhattan.
Old 10-14-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The Hulk as a target for Shield makes sense. Why else would Fury be walking around putting a team together before any other major villians show up? Just in case they do?
Old 10-14-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think Hulk as the main threat is great and makes perfect sense.
Old 10-14-08, 05:03 PM
Banned

These two before me and myself have mentioned the Hulk as the threat and in a sense the reason for bring all these heroes together to take him down makes sense. While misunderstood, The Hulk is a threat to civilians. His mayhem and destruction indirectly causes great harm to anybody near the vicinity of his epicenter. SHIELD bringing forth The Avengers to take the Hulk is 100% easy to believe.

We have the Cap film, it ends with him in the ice. IM2 comes out and does it's thing, Favreau has stated that he would like to end it there cuz it would be a bad way to end the IM franchise with the curse of the 3rd being crap. Also he hopes to direct The Avengers too. The Thor film will pop out as well, I wonder how they'll actually introduce him in the film. And if from what that synopsis of the Cap film that was given is true, The Avengers will somewhat have start off early with Cap being reintroduced to the Modern World. In doing so, he'll be chosen to lead the Team etc....pretty much like the comics did.
Old 10-14-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think Hulk as the main threat is great and makes perfect sense.
Agreed. Having a sympathetic villain will be good instead of the usual all-out evil guy that the hero has no problem murdering at the climax of the film.
Old 10-14-08, 06:25 PM
Banned

Well so far in the Marvel Studios...everything seems to be inline with the comics in a way. The Iron Monger died, Stane to be exact died. The Abomination is still kicking as he was for a long time in the comics..so...I hope to see more of the characters' fates to be like the comics unlike where every villain is killed and you just continue your life. That was an issue I had with The Burton Batman films and Spidey films (though Sandman did leave alive). Ra's always dies so that's cool that he died in Begins, and Schumacher's Batman films killed half and kept half the villains. The Schumaker films were crap altogether though...so you know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.