Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic Park: 15 Years Later

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-02-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

June 11th 1993 Jurassic Park debuted in theatres nationwide. The first scene when the brachiosaurus are revealed is breathtaking. I still get goosebumps. The T-Rex rampage has to be one of the best "monster" scenes ever filmed.

I read the book, even before seeing it opening weekend and I still loved it. Yeah, it's nowhere near the book but it's still a great summer blockbuster. 15 years later the special effects are still better than the majority of Hollywood films. I think the film has aged well. Before cell phones, those in peril were truly screwed.

I love Jurassic Park. It will always be one of my childhood favorites.
Old 05-02-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the best summer movies of all time. The cgi has a little bit of dating on it, but if the movie was made today, the entire thing would probably be filmed in front of a green screen.
Old 05-02-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
June 11th 1993 Jurassic Park debuted in theatres nationwide. The first scene when the brachiosaurus are revealed is breathtaking. I still get goosebumps. The T-Rex rampage has to be one of the best "monster" scenes ever filmed.

I read the book, even before seeing it opening weekend and I still loved it. Yeah, it's nowhere near the book but it's still a great summer blockbuster. 15 years later the special effects are still better than the majority of Hollywood films. I think the film has aged well. Before cell phones, those in peril were truly screwed.

Okey Dokey.

With that said, yeah I agree. I remember going to the drive in and see'ing the T-REX rampage and it is one of my fondest movie memories.
Old 05-02-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I remember being amazed by the dinosaurs when I first saw this on the big screen. Cool feeling.
Old 05-02-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts
I remember that my local theater had just upgraded their sound system and Jurassic Park was the first movie to break it in. It was incredible. The T-Rex attack had my heart pounding and I remember the tension breaking and everyone laughing at the end of that scene when Tim says: "Well, we're back in the car again."
Old 05-02-08, 09:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I think I saw this three times in theaters. The CGI holds up well against most films that have since been released.
Old 05-02-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
I think that was the movie that I saw the most times in a theater. my family and I saw it six times! Great times. I also enjoyed the sequel.
Old 05-02-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
Funny, I caught a few seconds of this playing on some network while channel surfing tonight.

For me, the reveal of the brachiosaurs has always felt weak to me. Perhaps it was because I'd already seen the trailer and knew that much more up-close-and personal effects were on their way. The brachiosaurs always seemed too distant for me, the separate between the live action field and CGI composite too clearly delineated.

I've also always been under the impression that the scene was shot with the intention of the brachiosaurs being closer. Everyone's eyeline in that scene is a little too high up. Also, there's one point where Sam Neil reaches out his hand flat vertically, like he was physically touching a dinosaur, except in the shot there's no dinosaur there and it instead is played off like a really awkward gesture towards the distant brachiosaurs (because whenever I guesture or point to something, I use the flat of my hand).

The T-Rex scenes are all gold though.
Old 05-02-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
JI love Jurassic Park. It will always be one of my childhood favorites.
Yep. One of the best sci-fi movies.
Old 05-02-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
It still amazes me that 15 years later films still can't do it as good as Jurassic Park did. The Brachiosaur is probably the weakest, but when it goes up on it's hind legs it still feels magical.

Looking forward to the eventual Blu-Ray release with uncompressed sound. The DTS audio my first time seeing it in the theater was ear-blowing and will always be one of my fondest theater going experiences.
Old 05-02-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts
Jurassic Park is still one of my all time favorite movies. It's a great story, great effects, and a great cast. It all holds up well.

Citizen Kane it ain't, but it isn't supposed to be! It's FUN.

And now it's one of my daughter's favorite movies (she's 8). She has good taste... (Hey, she sat through Seven Samurai and even liked it!)
Old 05-02-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
I believe it was the first time I'd seen a movie in a THX-Certified theater. The opening scene just blew me away. I went back 3 more times.

Great movie and will always be an achievement in sound design and CGI.
Old 05-03-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember seeing the trailer for the movie on TV and getting goosebumps from that.
Old 05-03-08, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recall seeing this at the movies with my Dad when it came out. He wasn't the type to really venture out to the theater but we both just had to see the movie. It blew my mind and is one of the best movie memories I have from my youth.
Old 05-03-08, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
First movie I ever saw more than once in the theater. I don't have a valid reason for not owning it on DVD though.
Old 05-03-08, 02:46 AM

First saw this in 1993 when I was at that age where Dinosaurs were just about the coolest things ever.

The moment when you see the Brachiosaur and other dinosaurs for the first time is probably one of the most memorable moments in movies for me. It was just jaw dropping back then.
Old 05-03-08, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Loved it then and love it now. It's everything a summer blockbuster should be.
Old 05-03-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
15 years later the special effects are still better than the majority of Hollywood films.
That's because Jurassic Park is a rare breed that blended CGI with traditional special & creature effects seamlessly. There's still something to be said for giant rubber & robotic effects. Unfortunately since, everything is all CGI and loses a LOT of character because of it.

Childhood favorites? How old are you?

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I believe it was the first time I'd seen a movie in a THX-Certified theater.
Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I remember that my local theater had just upgraded their sound system and Jurassic Park was the first movie to break it in.
Most theaters upgraded. It was the first movie with a DTS soundtrack in theaters. DTS partnered with Universal to make it happen.

I would totally go see this in the theater again.
Old 05-03-08, 11:10 AM

In December we should do a "Schindler's List" 15 years later thing....

Both movies had memorable audiences: JP had them laughing and screaming, SL crying and weeping.

Spielberg pretty much owned 1993.
Old 05-03-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Childhood favorites? How old are you?
I'm 25 now, I was 10 when it came out.
Old 05-03-08, 11:56 AM

When I first saw it I was astonished!

I come from a time when Ray Harryhausen's dynamation dinosaurs/creatures as in movies like The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, One Million Years BC, Jason and The Argonauts etc where as good as it got. So you can imagine what it was like for me to see Jurassic Park with my eldest son who was 10 at the time!!!

Okay, time has passed, but I still rate Jurassic Park as one of the all time classics, in every department.
Old 05-03-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw this opening weekend. We had to sit in the row in front of the front row because the theater was oversold. I was in 6th grade and it totally blew me away. I've always been fascinated with dinosaurs. I even wanted to be a paleontologist when I was a kid. I saw it at least 2 more times in theaters. I don't watch it that often, but it's always a lot of fun when I do bust it out. It's a fantastic film.
Old 05-03-08, 12:13 PM

I think the cgi dinosaurs (or the dino scenes in general) look better in the original in comparison to the sequels. I dunno if it is the "smoke and mirrors" aspect of making this film (shadows and rain, too!), it just plays better in the original JP for me.
Old 05-03-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, Jurassic Park has barely five minutes of CGI. The rest is all practical and model effects. Man, is it ever golden though.
Old 05-03-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I remember that my local theater had just upgraded their sound system and Jurassic Park was the first movie to break it in. It was incredible. The T-Rex attack had my heart pounding and I remember the tension breaking and everyone laughing at the end of that scene when Tim says: "Well, we're back in the car again."
Same here! I remember that my theater upgraded their sound system for this with DTS, with the logo being a CD flying at the screen, and then exploding.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.