Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic Park: 15 Years Later

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jurassic Park: 15 Years Later

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 02:25 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'm 25 now, I was 10 when it came out.
exactly, the thread says "15 years laters," there's bound to be not too old of people here (I'm 26).
Old 05-03-08, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I remember that my local theater had just upgraded their sound system and Jurassic Park was the first movie to break it in. It was incredible. The T-Rex attack had my heart pounding and I remember the tension breaking and everyone laughing at the end of that scene when Tim says: "Well, we're back in the car again."
The whole T-Rex attack on the Explorer scene was (and still is) awesome. And the above line is my favorite out of the whole movie. But I have to give Honorable Mention to the T-Rex chasing the Jeep scene. Especially when they show the Rex in the rearview mirror, with the "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" logo.
Old 05-03-08, 02:57 PM

What's great about this movie, and most of Spielberg's action films, isn't so much the action, but it's how it's done, in a way that makes us involved in the movie as well, and not just looking at things happening on a screen. I really hope the new Indy is good. It's been a number of years since he's made an audience pleaser like this, and I use that term as a compliment.
Old 05-03-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And the movie had kids you actually liked. That scene with the electric fence and the kid flying off still cracks me up.
Old 05-03-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Speaking of the kids, the scene with them and the Raptors is as scary & suspenseful to me as the T-Rex scene. I love the way a director can give you the layout of a location and use it to build on the suspense.
Old 05-03-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
If I recall correctly, the soundtrack was pretty good as well. The music when the helicopter is just reaching the island seems to stand out in my head.

Like most boys, I thought dinosaurs were the coolest. This movie didn't help get me out of that phase at all.
Old 05-03-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember going to the closest town that was showing (about 45 minutes away...no theater in my home town), and when we got home (dad, brother, me, and my cousin) my Mom said we looked like we had seen a ghost. I don't remember being scared, and I think it was more of the absolute shock of what we had just seen: dinosaurs that actually looked real.
Old 05-03-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I love this movie

I remember being a kid on opening day and waiting in a really long line to see the film. Various retail stores were selling toys and other merchandise a couple weeks before to advertise the movie, etc.

Bugged my dad for days on end to get some stuff so I could nerd it out during the movie. So in line I had my giant T-Rex toy on my shoulder, as well as a Jurassic Park shirt (I believe it had the logo on front of the main gates in the movie). Now that I think about it that was tremendously nerdy and funny.

At that point I hadn't even seen the movie yet, but I knew I would be a fan.
Old 05-04-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'm 25 now, I was 10 when it came out.
Hmm. I thought you were closer to 30 for some reason. I've got 7 years on you which puts me at about a Jr. in h.s.
Old 05-04-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Jurassic Park, though a great movie, created the era of CGI, and still think that was a bad thing for the summer blockbuster. Too many directors today sell their movies with CGI and action and put the characters and story second, and guys like Spielberg knew to keep an even balance. Jurassic Park and T2 showed that CGI could be a tool to make a movie better, as I think directors have lost sight of this lately.

Anyway, Jurassic Park is still entertaining, still fun to watch, and what everyone forgets is the whole movie has a moral in that you don't mess with mother nature, dinosaurs were gone for a reason, and in the end, what looked like a great idea for a theme park to make $$$$$, turned out be a disaster of epic proportions.
Old 05-04-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazam
And the movie had kids you actually liked. That scene with the electric fence and the kid flying off still cracks me up.
That's a big point for me. I usually HATE kids in movies, as they just come off as annoying to me, but I agree with this.

I'm 25 too. Childhood memories indeed, ya old farts!
Old 05-04-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Also, Jurassic Park has barely five minutes of CGI. The rest is all practical and model effects. Man, is it ever golden though.
This should be a rule of some kind for movies "use CGI as little as possible".

I was at Best Buy yesterday and I saw "Pirates of the Caribbean" on some HDTV's, every single CGI character stood out or moved in a way that didn't seem real.
Old 05-04-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Always been one of my favorites however I was already married with 2 kids by the time this came out. I'm sorry I missed this in the theaters but we only went out once a year to movies and this one wasn't it that year. Hey I had VHS hooked up to my stereo, who needed the theater? Saw JP2 in the theater but that was terrible compared to the first one.
Old 05-04-08, 02:06 PM

I remember that this movie played FOREVER. It was still at out dollar flicks when the summer movies of 1994 come about. You just don't see that hold-over anymore. Especially since every studio has to get the summer movie out by October on home video for the Christmas rush. I believe that this was one of the last event movies to come out, other than Phantom Menace and Titanic, that people repeatively went to see.
Old 05-04-08, 04:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
This opened the night of my senior prom, and if I had been paying closer attention, I might have skipped prom for it. I wound up seeing it with my dad the following week for father's day, and from the digital experience logo that premiered with the film, it was one of the true expeiences that I have had.
Old 05-04-08, 04:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
If I recall correctly, the soundtrack was pretty good as well. The music when the helicopter is just reaching the island seems to stand out in my head.
What's interesting (for me anyway) is that the iconic T-Rex attack sequence is completely unscored from beginning to end.
Old 05-04-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
This was one of the last movies (other than Christmas-themed ones like Elf and Santa Clause 3, which came out in theaters around Christmas and were put out on DVD the following Christmas) that took more than a year to be released on home video- it didn't come out until fall 1994. Its initial run in theaters lasted several months and some brought it back for a while later.

I was really pissed because the laserdisc came out a week later than the VHS, and then it was ridiculously overpriced ($44.99 list, I got it on sale for $34.99).
Old 05-04-08, 05:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
This was one of the last movies (other than Christmas-themed ones like Elf and Santa Clause 3, which came out in theaters around Christmas and were put out on DVD the following Christmas) that took more than a year to be released on home video- it didn't come out until fall 1994. Its initial run in theaters lasted several months and some brought it back for a while later.

I was really pissed because the laserdisc came out a week later than the VHS, and then it was ridiculously overpriced ($44.99 list, I got it on sale for $34.99).

It came out the first Tuesday in October 94. I was running west coast video at the time, and remember all the blockbuster's and suncoast's in the area breaking date big time on the title.
Old 05-04-08, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UAIOE
This should be a rule of some kind for movies "use CGI as little as possible".
I completely agree with this statement. I still think the dinosaurs look great, but the thing that distracts me a little bit when watching the movie now is the stunt doubles for the kids being too obvious. Like the scene where the girl is hanging and they put the little girls head on a muscular adult.

And it has one of my favorite lines ever...

"Hold on to your butts".

Last edited by Lee Harvey Oswald; 05-04-08 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-04-08, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I completely agree with this statement. I still think the dinosaurs look great, but the thing that distracts me a little bit when watching the movie now is the stunt doubles for the kids being too obvious. Like the scene where the girl is hanging and they put the little girls head on a muscular adult.
I think it's more convincing than CGI people.
Old 05-04-08, 08:26 PM

Saw it three times in the theater. Plus...bought the VHS..then the widescreen VHS...then the DVD..and I'm all over it when it goes Blu.
Old 05-05-08, 09:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I watched this over the weekend, and even though it's not that old there's some funny stuff. For example, Samuel L. Jackson smokes like a chimney in an office environment, and nobody bats an eye. Not to mention the ridiculously clunky Unix interface.
Old 05-05-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Like everybody else I saw this opening weekend in a packed theater. I was 9, had not seen a single advertisement for it and loved every minute. This was also the first film I saw twice in theaters, which happened to be my first trip to my favorite theater, the Uptown in DC.

Didn't see anybody mention it but my favorite scene is the kitchen sequence with the kids and the raptors. I remember being truely afraid for them, completely wrapped up in the movie. Great suspense, great movie.
Old 05-05-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
This has been one of my favorites since I first saw it in the theater. Truly a great experience from beginning to end. Even the all-too-convenient ending wasn't so apparent until multiple viewings.

Who'd have thought Jeff Goldblum would have become the summer blockbuster king for several years afterward?

As great as the first one was it's been truly disappointing seeing the two sequels fall so short of greatness that was the original (although the trailer falling over the cliff in The Lost World was one of the higher points of the series).
Old 05-05-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
This has been one of my favorites since I first saw it in the theater. Truly a great experience from beginning to end. Even the all-too-convenient ending wasn't so apparent until multiple viewings.

Who'd have thought Jeff Goldblum would have become the summer blockbuster king for several years afterward?

As great as the first one was it's been truly disappointing seeing the two sequels fall so short of greatness that was the original (although the trailer falling over the cliff in The Lost World was one of the higher points of the series).
I really enjoyed III and was only really let down by the abrupt ending.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.