Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Charlton Heston dies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Charlton Heston dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 246 Posts
NY Times Obit: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/mo...tml?ref=movies <-- a must-read

Mr. Heston. Thank you for many years of entertainment, and for the further years of fighting to uphold our Constitution. You always did what you believed was right, and were an example to both the Right and the Left as to how to comport yourself professionally and with dignity.

RIP.
Old 04-06-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The groceries ran out.

One of my favorites, so many classics.
Old 04-06-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
It's no older than Heston being in the NRA. And this is what I mean how they will try and bury that story.
It is why I believe George Clooney will not be the darling with the majority of the American movie public and why he isn't the box-office king he should be. Clooney does have the IT, but those comments he made about Heston turns me off.
So basically, you want to turn stories honoring Heston's life and career into "George Clooney said some nasty things about him five years ago, let's focus on that."

You want to bring attention to what Clooney said about Heston, fine, but I don't think dragging it up while trying to honor Heston is the right time.
Old 04-06-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Mr. Heston once joked: “I have played three presidents, three saints and two geniuses. If that doesn’t create an ego problem, nothing does.”
You will be missed Chuck.
Old 04-06-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I was saddend to hear of his passing. I thought he was a great actor. One of my favorite movies from him was not a big hit but then again it has been a rewatchable DVD ever since I have bought it, Arrowhead. Jack Palance, Brian Kieth and him made for a great picture. It was made in the 50's and it shows him in his prime. He's had so many great movie roles like Planet of the Apes, El Cid, Major Dundee, etc. I would just like to thank him for everything he's given me. P.S.- I'm going to have to watch a few of his movies this week in his honor.

Last edited by JOE29; 04-06-08 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-06-08, 02:59 PM

Charlton Heston was great in his own way. Not necessarily the most natural of actors, but he had gravitas. I didn't agree with some of his politics, either, but at least he cared, for good or for bad. They don't make them like that anymore. I always considered him and Gregory Peck to be similar, and I can't think of many, if any, contemporary actors that are in that particular mold.
Old 04-06-08, 03:04 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's tough when a mythic icon like this goes. Well at least he's up there with all those mythical people he portrayed.
Old 04-06-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Who could forget the 66th best movie line of all time (much greater in my book) according to the American Film Institute from one of the greatest Sci Fi flicks of all time.

"Take your stinking paws off of me you damn dirty ape!"

So long to one of the greatest!
Old 04-06-08, 04:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by FRwL
It's tough when a mythic icon like this goes. Well at least he's up there with all those mythical people he portrayed.
If they are mythical, then he's not anywhere.

But he's up there I would guess.
Old 04-06-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 182 Posts
Surprised and saddened. He will be missed. Thanks for all the great movies.
Old 04-06-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=379436543310263692&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

I wonder if the media can get a word from Michael Moore on what he can say about Charleton Heston?
Old 04-06-08, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There may have been actors of his generation with great technical skills, but I don't think any could beat him for making watchable films. Actors today could learn a lot from how his passion and presence improved any project from his prestige films to cheesy genre movies like Earthquake and The Omega Man.
Old 04-06-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Mr. Heston has acted for seven decades and will be one of the most cherished icons of acting, as well as a human being for being direct and honest with his opinions, even though I disagreed on a few issues.

While Mr. Clooney has been in a few good films, George is but a fart on the acting spectrum and challenging rolse when compared to the acting talents and timespan of Mr. Heston.
Old 04-06-08, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
So basically, you want to turn stories honoring Heston's life and career into "George Clooney said some nasty things about him five years ago, let's focus on that."

You want to bring attention to what Clooney said about Heston, fine, but I don't think dragging it up while trying to honor Heston is the right time.
I bring it up because the media is going to bring up the NRA. And here in Chicago on our 5pm local news when they did the Heston story they brought up the NRA.
And since the media kisses Clooney's butt I want to remind people what Clooney said. Mr. Heston marched and was beside MLK when he gave that famous speach. And was a supporter of JFK and many civil rights in the 60's. But just because Mr. Heston was a conservative the Hollywood liberals took their cheap shots ala Micheal Moore and George Clooney. But based on this weekend's box-office totals it seems no Oscar, NEWSWEEK cover, E! news butt kissing will ever make America embrace George Clooney the way they did Charlton Heston. Charlton I know your with God now!!
Old 04-06-08, 06:15 PM
Banned

^Is this a joke?
Old 04-06-08, 06:16 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
True, a lot of people thought "Leatherheads" was going to be George Clooney's "Ben-Hur." I guess they were wrong.
Old 04-06-08, 08:25 PM

Clooney is no Chuck Heston...not by a long shot!

RIP Chuck, you will be missed by many.
Old 04-06-08, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by flyboy
Clooney is no Chuck Heston...not by a long shot!
yeah, for one, HE AIN'T DEAD!

too soon?
Old 04-06-08, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brack
yeah, for one, HE AIN'T DEAD!

too soon?
No but Leatherheads is ha!
Old 04-06-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 203 Likes on 168 Posts
His roles were enjoyable to watch.

RIP Mr. Heston.
Old 04-06-08, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by flyboy
No but Leatherheads is ha!
we're going from actor to movie now? eh, there are plenty of Heston duds.
Old 04-06-08, 09:38 PM

Well, it never takes long for a thread like this to turn to complete and utter drivil.

Lets remember a great icon gone, a decent and well liked man gone, and NOT run thru 2nd Amendment debates, politics and Michael Moore.

Not the time or the place.

We have lost almost all the great ones from that generation. Who will take their places? The cliche "it is the end of an era" is, unfortunately, happening right before us. Some get it and some don't. I feel sorry for those who don't.
Old 04-06-08, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Carcosa
We have lost almost all the great ones from that generation. Who will take their places?
George Clooney.
Old 04-06-08, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Carcosa
Well, it never takes long for a thread like this to turn to complete and utter drivil.

Lets remember a great icon gone, a decent and well liked man gone, and NOT run thru 2nd Amendment debates, politics and Michael Moore.

Not the time or the place.

We have lost almost all the great ones from that generation. Who will take their places? The cliche "it is the end of an era" is, unfortunately, happening right before us. Some get it and some don't. I feel sorry for those who don't.
nobody. the days of Charlton Heston, Humprey Bogart,Clark Gable and John Wayne are sadly gone.
Old 04-06-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
Good-bye, Mr. Heston. You are one of the great ones. You are missed.

Moses: "Welcome to Heaven, Chuck."

Charlton Heston: "Thank You"

Moses: "Dude - you made me look good!
Gag.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.