Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Charlton Heston dies

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Charlton Heston dies

Old 04-06-08, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing actor. Even if the movie wasn't great, you knew he was present. Love Omega Man, Soylent Green, The Buccaneer, Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, Midway, Touch of Evil, El Cid, 55 Days at Peking, Airport '75 (Well he was great in it), his part in Wayne's World, Planet of the Apes, many more. Politically speaking, whether you agree with him or not, he strived to make a difference. Great Actor. Even greater Man.
Old 04-07-08, 12:45 AM

Heston was just and epic actor. In stuff like Commandments and Ben Hur that already had a larger than life feel he raised it higher. He will be missed. Damn dirty apes.
Old 04-07-08, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Another good role of his was in Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet. RIP.
Old 04-07-08, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
George Clooney.

Great actor. He'll be missed, but his work will live on forever
Old 04-07-08, 07:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Watched Will Penny for the first time last night. I was going to watch my favorite Heston film, Ben Hur, but decided to watch his favorite instead. Very good film.

I have several more of his that I've never seen, will try to watch them over the next week or so. Touch of Evil on tap for tonight.
Old 04-07-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts
From the San Diego Union-Tribune:
Heston was always able to channel some energies into the public arena. He was an active supporter of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., calling him a 20th-century Moses for his people, and participated in the historic march on Washington in 1963.

He served as president of the Screen Actors Guild from 1966 to 1971. A registered Democrat for many years, he was selective in the candidates he chose to support and often campaigned for conservatives.
Obviously, Heston was an independent thinker and stood up for what he believed in.

From a couple comments that I've read here I may just have to pick up Arrowhead.
Old 04-07-08, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bloopbleep
nobody. the days of Charlton Heston, Humprey Bogart,Clark Gable and John Wayne are sadly gone.
Because most of the stars have turned to Godless liberal politics.
And George Clooney could have been the next great star, but the majority of America is conservative. He's at the point that when he does work to bring attention to Dafor we believe it's a publicity stunt for his career.
Old 04-07-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wm lopez
And George Clooney could have been the next great star, but the majority of America is conservative. He's at the point that when he does work to bring attention to Dafor we believe it's a publicity stunt for his career.

Hello.

This is a thread about Charlton Heston. Not actors you hate.

Thank you.
Old 04-07-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course, the hilarious irony of your argument is that Heston was very liberal throughout the vast majority of his movie-making career, you know, the times when America supported him and were going to his movies in droves. He only started turning conservative in the '70s when his acting career was winding way down.

From Wikipedia:
Heston campaigned for Presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson in 1956 and John F. Kennedy in 1960.[9] When an Oklahoma movie theater premiering his movie was segregated, he joined a picket line outside in 1961.[10] During the civil rights march held in Washington, D.C. in 1963, he accompanied Martin Luther King Jr. In later speeches, Heston said he helped the civil rights cause, "long before Hollywood found it fashionable."[11]

Following the assassination of Senator Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, Heston and actors Gregory Peck, Kirk Douglas and James Stewart issued a statement calling for support of President Johnson's Gun Control Act of 1968.[12][13] He opposed the Vietnam War and said he voted for Richard Nixon in 1972.[14]
Old 04-07-08, 11:25 AM
Cool New Member

RIP Charlton Heston
Old 04-07-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Another good role of his was in Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet. RIP.
Although it was just a cameo, that was a great role for him.
Old 04-07-08, 12:57 PM

Yes...this thread seems to be a bit innapropriate to be airing ones politics or throwing out not-that-funny one liner comments. You sure have the right to do it but it does make one look pretty dumb.
Old 04-07-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts
I don't remember him in True Lies, wasn't his part cut?

And good God, Ive only heard a few comments at the office...but appearantly people can't seem to comprehend that a person could support civil rights and be a gun-supporter as well. My boss made the comment regarding Heston and MLK "well, maybe he supported the sniper..." nice.

Last edited by Artman; 04-07-08 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,190 Posts
I liked his cameo in the Planet of the Apes remake.
Old 04-07-08, 01:49 PM
Banned

I watched THE VIEW today and they talked about Charlton Heston and yes they brought up the NRA and nothing about Micheal Moore or George Clooney comments. I will be watching the rest of the Hollywood shows today to see if they bring this up.
I'm willing to bet that HANNITY & COLMES and THE FACTOR will bring it up.
Old 04-07-08, 02:02 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
of course those prats would.
Old 04-07-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts
I watched THE VIEW today and they talked about Charlton Heston and yes they brought up the NRA and nothing about Micheal Moore or George Clooney comments. I will be watching the rest of the Hollywood shows today to see if they bring this up.
I'm willing to bet that HANNITY & COLMES and THE FACTOR will bring it up.
The only person placing importance of GC/MM shit in regards to Charlton Heston is you. Most people are highlighting his career, not what some other actor said about him (poor-taste joke from 5 years ago).

RIP

EDITED TO ADD: Checked MM page, and he simply has a big photo with the press release, and a link to the MPAF...
Old 04-07-08, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
The only person placing importance of GC/MM shit in regards to Charlton Heston is you. Most people are highlighting his career, not what some other actor said about him (poor-taste joke from 5 years ago).

RIP

EDITED TO ADD: Checked MM page, and he simply has a big photo with the press release, and a link to the MPAF...
In this thread yes I brought it up because I wanted you all to be aware that the media was going to bring up the NRA with Heston's death. So far THE VIEW and Chicago local news also brought up NRA, why? And if your going to bring up NRA. Then bring up what two high profile Hollywood liberals said about Mr. Heston which was around the same time frame of the NRA.
Old 04-07-08, 03:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Again -- the focus has (and should be at this time) what Heston accomplished with his life. His role in the NRA would be one of those accomplishments. What other people said about him years ago is not relevant or necessary when remembering the man.

It's not that hard to understand.
Old 04-07-08, 03:26 PM

In this thread yes I brought it up because I wanted you all to be aware that the media was going to bring up the NRA with Heston's death. So far THE VIEW and Chicago local news also brought up NRA, why? And if your going to bring up NRA. Then bring up what two high profile Hollywood liberals said about Mr. Heston which was around the same time frame of the NRA.
Because he was president of the NRA, that's why. Jeez Louise.

How does Heston's decision to be president of the NRA have anything to do with comments said about him? Those are two very separate things.
Old 04-07-08, 03:27 PM
Banned

Thank you for the link.
Anyone who reads it will understand why I brought this up unless of course you share Clooney's views then you will be mad.
Old 04-07-08, 03:34 PM

Thank you for the link.
Anyone who reads it will understand why I brought this up unless of course you share Clooney's views then you will be mad.
actually if you agree with Clooney, you don't care.
Old 04-07-08, 03:39 PM

Thank you for the link.
nothing should be taken serious from a man(George Clooney) who once dressed up in a batman costume that had nipples. btw he also knocked the batman movies, a hand that fed him. no sense in getting rilled up about him. you should start a anti-Clooney thread as this one is to celebrate and remember Mr.Heston.
Old 04-07-08, 04:07 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Great man, great actor, truely an original and there won't be any more like him.

rest in peace.
Old 04-07-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well in all fairness, I think Charlton Heston would be quite proud of his association with the NRA, so I don't think it would be disrespectful for the media to briefly mention it when reporting on his death.

Sad to see him go. Ben-Hur is truly one of the greatest movies ever made. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.