Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Things You Just Noticed...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
^ I do the same thing.

It's amazing how much it's used!
Old 11-04-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdslater1
Doesn't really fit the title of the thread, but I have to share. On the main making of doc on the Legend UE DVD. They don't mention Tom Cruise. Ever.
Just watched this last night and noticed the same thing. Weird.

In The Neverending Story I never realized that Bastian's mother's name is
Spoiler:
Moonchild
I always thought it was just intentionally unintelligible when he calls it out. Now that I know what it is, it sounds so clear to me.

I was kinda disappointed. My friend and I even joke when we learn something that is disappointing & takes the magic/mystery out of something, we say
Spoiler:
"Moonchild"
Old 11-04-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In Cool Hand Luke, as Newman is preparing to eat 50 eggs, there is a sign above him reading "No eggs today".
Old 11-04-08, 08:59 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I can't remember what I just noticed for the first time re-watching Young Frankenstein a few weeks back, but that's one of those movies where I notice something new every time I watch it.
Old 11-04-08, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Groundhog Day, the town centre where the annual ritual is performed is called Gobbler's Knob. I probably noticed that when I was younger but didn't get the joke until after high school.
Old 11-04-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by GrimTangent
In Groundhog Day, the town centre where the annual ritual is performed is called Gobbler's Knob. I probably noticed that when I was younger but didn't get the joke until after high school.

What joke? That's what the actual place is called....

http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/punxs...undhog_day.htm
Old 11-04-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I also noticed in THE DEPARTED that Matt Damon's left arm suddenly frees itself from handcuffs when Leonardo hauls him into the elevator and throws him to one side.

I never noticed that it was Chris Reeve's voice over-dubbing young Clark Kent during the Smallville scenes played by Jeff East.
Old 11-04-08, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by covenant
What joke? That's what the actual place is called....
http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/punxs...undhog_day.htm
Oh wow. I always thought it was derived from the slang term "knob gobbler". I guess the slang came later.
Old 11-06-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Wilhelm screams.

Ever since I learned about the Wilhelm scream, I pick them out of things all of the time now.

Bllllaaaarrrhhhhh!!!!
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ I do the same thing.

It's amazing how much it's used!

Old 11-09-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Watched Kung Fu Panda and just realized something huge...

Spoiler:
During the Dragon Warrior Ceremony, as Po is trying to get in or a view at least. Check out Oogway...he isn't watching the warriors brought by Shifu. He is watching Po's attempts. You can see this best when Po tries to launch himself with the tree. Look carefully at the way Oogway's head is angled. Its up towards the top of the frame because he is watching Po.

No wonder he says "there are no accidents."
Old 11-09-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MaxMFP
Near the beginning of Back to the Future, Doc is shot by the Libyans soon after showing Marty the DeLorean. In the shot where he has his hands up and throws away the gun, in the background one of the lamp posts in the far distance flickers for a split-second. This is the "other" Marty returning from 1955 and running towards the parking lot when the DeLorean he comes back with stalls.
Hmm... I'm a little suspicious of that one. I've read up on just about everything about Back to the Future and never heard about that before. I'll have to watch for it. Has this posted anywhere else before?
Old 12-11-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When David Hemmings enters the nightclub in Blow-Up, there's a sign on the door with a drawing of a gravestone, and on it the words "Here lies Bob Dylan passed away Royal Albert Hall 27 May 1966 R.I.P.".
Old 12-11-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...there's something else going on in the beach volleyball scene in Top Gun.
Old 12-11-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Wilhelm screams.

Ever since I learned about the Wilhelm scream, I pick them out of things all of the time now.

Bllllaaaarrrhhhhh!!!!
There's a scream that I've heard several times in different movies and such. I know it's not the Wilhelm scream but it's similar. I first noticed it in the movie Broken Arrow. The scream can be heard when Howie Long falls off the train toward the end of the film.

The exact scream was also used in the opening credits of the old Nick show Ahhh! Real Monsters.

I know I've heard it in other things but those are the only two I can remember at the moment.
Old 12-11-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I noticed in Fight Club when Norton is about to approach Marla for the first time, there's a guy hanging in the background about to do the same thing.
Old 12-11-08, 10:10 PM

In The Dark Knight, for about a second you can see that one of Maroni's thugs is grabbed and pulled off-screen as they're all about to get into the car. This explains why a... certain special someone... managed to get into the seat next to Maroni in order to decide his fate near the end of the movie.

Last edited by metaridley; 12-11-08 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-11-08, 10:43 PM

In the dark knight opening, i noticed after one of the clowns gets shocked by the fault he has his shoes on his hands in the next take. don't know how i missed that one.
Old 12-12-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I posted this on the CHUD.com thread but I think it's kinda cool.
Justin Theroux wrote Tropic Thunder (directed by Stiller), he also was in Zoolander (directed by Stiller) as the "evil DJ" who plays the music Zoolander has to kill to. In the unrated version of Tropic Thunder Justin Theroux plays the DJ again at the "one week down" party.
You could also say something about Iron Man2 being written by Theroux for RDJ.
Old 12-12-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
Pixar is great with details too.

Ratatouille - When the mean head chef is chasing Remy through Paris right at the end when he jumps to the other boat and just misses it he pulls off the table cover the couple is sitting at leaving all the plates still on the table.

When Anton Ego is told that Gusteau's is popular again he spits out some of his wine, looks at the bottle, and forces himself to drink what's left in his mouth.

Cars - Tow Mater is an incredibly annoying redneck car played by an incredibly annoying redneck.
Old 12-12-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Josh Brolin was the older brother in The Goonies. I honestly had no idea until I looked him up after watching No Country... many months ago.
Old 12-13-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just watched Back to the Futre for the umpteenth time and just noticed that the part when Doc is setting up the cables on the lamp post to send Marty back a cop asks Doc what he's doing, Doc replies it's just a weather experiment, and the cop asks Doc if he has a permit. What I just noticed is that as Doc says "of course I have a permit", he reaches into his pocket and instead of pulling the permit he pulls out his wallet to bribe the cop.

For some stupid ass reason I always just assumed he actually had a permit for weather experiments.
Old 12-13-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Gremlins 2 was on TV last night. I never realized Christopher Lee was in it. I'd seen the movie a lot when I was younger but I didn't know who he was at the time.
Old 12-13-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Yeah I know that one, it kind of sounds more like "yerahhhhhhhhh!!!"

There's a woman's scream I hear in like every movie, too.
there's this one round of applause track that i hear fairly often and i can make out a woman saying "oh man yeaaaaaa" buried under the clapping and screaming.
Old 12-13-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We watched "The Big Lebowski" again last night, and I had never noticed that the Dude puts non-dairy creamer in his White Russian when he's over at Maude Lebowski's house.
Old 12-13-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
there's this one round of applause track that i hear fairly often and i can make out a woman saying "oh man yeaaaaaa" buried under the clapping and screaming.
I remember hearing once that they've been recycling that same laugh track since the early days of television, I've never bothered to try, but evidently you can hear that same woman's reaction in everything from I Love Lucy to Three's Company to Everybody Loves Raymond. Kind of creepy actually, to know that your listening to an audience reaction from 50 or 60 years ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.