Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Heath Ledger found dead in Manhattan Apartment.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Heath Ledger found dead in Manhattan Apartment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From TMZ:

Heath's Family: He Did Not Kill Himself

Posted Jan 22nd 2008 7:29PM by TMZ Staff

TMZ has been contacted by reps of Heath's family. They've been told by police that Heath's death was absolutely accidental.

They are particularly distraught over media buzz that he may have taken his own life. We're told he was not that kind of person.

As we just reported, Heath was ill with pneumonia when he died.
Old 01-22-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182
There's a lot of 2 year olds without fathers... there's only one Dark Knight
What a douchebag thing to say.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 01-22-08, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.I.P. really really sad now
Old 01-22-08, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by outcastja
TMZ has learned Heath Ledger was sick with pneumonia when he died today in NY.
Hmm. Aspiration leading to asphyxiation?

Last edited by Lt Ripley; 01-22-08 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 06:46 PM

RIP Heath Ledger. I sincerely hope he didn't take his own life, but it doesn't sound that way.

Aside from his roles in Brokeback, Patriot, and upcoming Dark Knight, he was a gifted actor who definitely had not reached his prime. My prayers for Michelle, his daughters, and his family.
Old 01-22-08, 06:49 PM

r.i.p., another case of drugs. so young too
Old 01-22-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread is fascinating.
Old 01-22-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
First off, where did I say he should burn in hell? Second, calm down.

Regarding the news article you posted, if it was that bad for him, he should have just quit playing the Joker. Why take a toll like that on yourself if you can't handle it.

The reports indicate that suicide is the most likely scenario. I will qualify what I said earlier and say that if he did indeed commit suicide he's an idiot because he truly had everything to live for, but if he didn't then it's sad to see him go.

Then you're reading the wrong reports or your just putting your foot in your mouth. Which of the two is it?

All I know is you jumped into the thread saying he's a moron for dying. Wonderful.

He's a method actor, he gets into his character. Hell, if Bale died during the machinist would you have said the same thing "That dumbass, shouldn't have let himself get into a starving unhealthy role!"

Nice way to back peddle your comments. Next time how about you save any lashings till after we get the facts?
Old 01-22-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A Hollywood actor dies from a drug overdose? Can't be true.
Old 01-22-08, 07:17 PM

R.I.P. Heath Ledger....

Sad news....and unclear as to what has happened.
Old 01-22-08, 07:18 PM

This makes a good case for drug testing in Hollywood. You want to star in a movie, especially a Trilogy, pass the drug test first. Studios buy insurance on actors in the event they have to stop filming mid-production. They try to make sure the stars don't get hurt, don't go hang gliding or parachuting and stuff like that during production. I say congress should come down hard on Hollywood just like they have on MLB. And don't get me started on the Hollywood doctors who pass out prescription drugs like candy.
Old 01-22-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,706 Likes on 2,664 Posts
Already in Movie Talk
Old 01-22-08, 07:31 PM
Banned

I will reiterate what some others have said: Rest in peace, bro. You will be missed, and I hope you find happiness in the next life.
Old 01-22-08, 07:34 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamers
This makes a good case for drug testing in Hollywood. You want to star in a movie, especially a Trilogy, pass the drug test first. Studios buy insurance on actors in the event they have to stop filming mid-production. They try to make sure the stars don't get hurt, don't go hang gliding or parachuting and stuff like that during production. I say congress should come down hard on Hollywood just like they have on MLB. And don't get me started on the Hollywood doctors who pass out prescription drugs like candy.
Yeah, because these two issues correlate so well.
Old 01-22-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Brack
Yeah, because these two issues correlate so well.
More than you might think, considering these people, like it or not, ARE considered role models by many and should set a good example.
There's no need for the sarcasm about something like that.
Old 01-22-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First of all, I'm pretty shocked by what I perceive to be pretty hollow and tasteless comments. Suicide or not, the tragedy is that someone has died and left behind a young child. It would be a tragedy no matter what, but it's magnified because of his celeb status. And if it were suicide, throwing someone under the bus for that is just terrible. We'll never know the depths of hurt or frustration he was feeling, and if you're the type who is healthy enough to be able to process all the way through feelings of depression, bully for you.

If it was an accident and from complication with medications, then holy crap. That makes it all really, really sad, and folks calling for him to burn in hell will hopefully realize how tasteless they're behaving.

Finally, I was shocked when my wife told me this. I'm a fan of some of his stuff, and he looks like he nailed the Joker. I haven't looked forward to a movie as much as I've looked fwd to TDK in a long time, and this is terrible for all of those involved who have worked so hard on that film.

God bless Heath and his family and friends in this time of grief. This is a great loss for fans of film, also.
Old 01-22-08, 07:42 PM

How many of these threads do we need? One in every forum. Sad though.
Old 01-22-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,150 Posts
< Shocked and sad for his 2year old.
Old 01-22-08, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by reubs82
First of all, I'm pretty shocked by what I perceive to be pretty hollow and tasteless comments. Suicide or not, the tragedy is that someone has died and left behind a young child. It would be a tragedy no matter what, but it's magnified because of his celeb status. And if it were suicide, throwing someone under the bus for that is just terrible. We'll never know the depths of hurt or frustration he was feeling, and if you're the type who is healthy enough to be able to process all the way through feelings of depression, bully for you.

If it was an accident and from complication with medications, then holy crap. That makes it all really, really sad, and folks calling for him to burn in hell will hopefully realize how tasteless they're behaving.

Finally, I was shocked when my wife told me this. I'm a fan of some of his stuff, and he looks like he nailed the Joker. I haven't looked forward to a movie as much as I've looked fwd to TDK in a long time, and this is terrible for all of those involved who have worked so hard on that film.

God bless Heath and his family and friends in this time of grief. This is a great loss for fans of film, also.
Quoted for truth.
Old 01-22-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sad day. I'm a bit anxious for Dark Knight. R.I.P. Heath Ledger. Prayers be with you and your family.

In the meantime, I believe I will go pop in A Knight's Tale DVD. Haven't watched it awhile anyway.
Old 01-22-08, 07:46 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
More than you might think, considering these people, like it or not, ARE considered role models by many and should set a good example.
There's no need for the sarcasm about something like that.
one is about cracking down on cheating in a sport. how exactly are these actors cheating?
Old 01-22-08, 07:46 PM

I think I'll pop in 10 Things I Hate About You.
Old 01-22-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe we could make this one a "Heath Ledger movies we have on DVD" thread.

I actually have none, but I found a copy of the SE of Brokeback Mountain a few weeks ago, and thought about getting it. I'm defintiely going to get The Dark Knight , which I'm confident will be a great movie.
Old 01-22-08, 07:49 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Sad news indeed...far, far too young.
Old 01-22-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Why do all the male actors die, but the airhead alcoholic drunk-driving females end up living, and doing only a few days in jail. The only exception I can think of is Anna Nicole.

In any case, I liked Heath's acting. He was getting better, choosing more controversial roles, and finally picking what made him an individual, versus what he thought everyone wanted him to be.

His replacement in TDK might be Garrett Hedlund. He was Achilles' brother in Troy. He does look like Heath, and does remind me of him.

Normally I don't say this about young actors, but Heath was really getting some great roles. His career would have been fabulous, and would have been up there with Matt Damon and Brad Pitt.

Sad to see yah go, buddy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.