Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Film Posters thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Film Posters thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Originally Posted by beesonosu
In the title under her head...not really a smiley face but do you see it now? Silly especially considering the brutality of the movie and what happens to beautiful Monica.
I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about, and was straining my eyes to see it, when I finally realized you were talking about one of the katakana characters that spells the Japanese title of the film ("Alex", Bellucci's character) Great poster BTW.

I have piles and piles of chirashi (mostly stuff from the past 5 years or so that friends in Japan have sent me). One day I really have to get a bunch of them framed and hung up. Their small size makes it possible to hang up a lot of artwork from your favourite films (but they are obviously not as visually striking as a large poster). They, along with film programs, tend to be more commonly collected movie items in Japan, compared to full sized posters (probably due to space considerations)

Last edited by cultshock; 03-10-08 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Kinoart.net is a great site for Polish posters.
Polish posters are fantastic.

There's an art gallery that I went into in Vegas where they will re-create any number of classic posters (think King Kong or Casablanca) using the same methods that were used to print the originals. The results are simply stunning.

I don't have any posters hanging in my HT room. Just a framed Bettie Page postcard.
Old 03-10-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beesonosu
What technically qualifies it as a chirashi?
cultshock touched upon this already. Essentially they are promotional film flyers distributed in Japan. Just do a search for 'chirashi' on eBay to get an idea of what's available and for how much...

With living spaces as small as they are in the metropolitan areas of Japan, the flyers being as small as they are are perfect for such arrangements.
Old 03-11-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
cultshock touched upon this already. Essentially they are promotional film flyers distributed in Japan. Just do a search for 'chirashi' on eBay to get an idea of what's available and for how much...

With living spaces as small as they are in the metropolitan areas of Japan, the flyers being as small as they are are perfect for such arrangements.
Yep, when you walk into most movie theatres in Japan, there are stacks of these flyers lying around, promoting films that are being released in the next several months. They are like mini movie posters (approx. 7 by 10 inches) and some films may have 2 or 3 different versions released over time. These are free for the taking, and no one notices or cares if you grab a bunch of them.

There are also movie memorbilia stores in Japan that sell them. Of course, newer ones don't sell for much, considering how common and freely available they were, but older ones can command good amounts of money. Charashis have been made since the mid 1940's, for both domestic and foreign films.

As visitor q says, ebay is your best bet for getting these outside of Japan. Since a bunch of Japanese sellers offer these, and they aren't hugely collectible outside of Japan, the majority of the ones for sale are pretty reasonably priced.

Last edited by cultshock; 03-11-08 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-11-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
.. ebay is your best bet for getting these outside of Japan.
Well, until Citaya gets up and running again. Hope all is well with the guy ...
Old 03-11-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have Batman Begins and Superman Returns on my Office walls framed. I also have Rocketeer and Blad Runner in the Bathroom framed.
Old 03-16-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Added a few new ones today:

Had hoped to get one for Happy Together (my favorite WKW film) but I don't really care for the one image that seems to be used for almost all the promotional materials. Not complaining about having these two beauties, though!

I love Kurosawa's Cure and having never seen a poster for it before, found this was just too odd to pass up.
Old 03-16-08, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey CB .. mind spilling the beans on how you acquired that "Cure" poster, or more importantly, where?

I have a chirashi of that very same picture and I'd cut off my pinky for a larger version. Great pic!!
Old 03-16-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here you go, vistor Q: MovieGoods

According to my invoice, this was a "print on demand" poster. I'm assuming there isn't normally a lot of interest and it took a while to ship presumably because of this. I'm happy with the quality of all three I received.
Old 03-16-08, 11:23 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by woemcats
My girlfriend got me a few 11"x17" posters for my birthday last year but could never find frames... where's a good source for those, preferably sub-$20?
The Michael's near me has started carrying that size -- nothing fancy, very simple thin black frame, but works for me. They're very affordable, less than $10, I think.
Old 03-16-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
my only originals are
Empire Strikes Back and just got a Back to the Future as well. Also have a conan the destroyer japanese poster. Some of those Japanese posters are cool.

I like those warner special editions with the mail away posters. I got the King Kong, Forbidden Planet, and Superman ones.
Old 03-16-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Here you go, vistor Q: MovieGoods

According to my invoice, this was a "print on demand" poster. I'm assuming there isn't normally a lot of interest and it took a while to ship presumably because of this. I'm happy with the quality of all three I received.
Very nice on all accounts. It's also good to see they offer a 11x17 range as well. Not too worried about the special ordering situation. I'm more concerned about availability, but it's good to know what to expect.

Phew, I can keep my pinky after all.

Thanks for the link!
Old 05-09-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Shoulda thought about posting about these here at DVDtalk sooner.

Anyone interested in custom-designed poster prints (very limited #'s!) might be interested in the ones that have been coming out of mondotees.com

I've picked up a couple (OOP now), but some of the recent ones are still available.

Characters who were infected have "glow-in-the-dark" eyes.

Can't remember off the top of my head if I ordered the regular or variants of those ones - currently at the frame shop.

This one's in the mail right now:

also glow in the dark!

Some other new designs still in stock include a "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "Speed Racer".
Old 05-10-08, 11:35 AM

I just got this mounted last month. Pride of my poster collection

Last edited by kahuna415; 05-10-08 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-10-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had an unhealthy poster obsession for the past several months. I've been buying up lots of foreign posters and original one-sheets. It's an ugly habit since you can only display so many at once.

Here's a short list of some of new most recent/prized additions:

The Thing (original o/s)
Death Wish (orig. o/s)
Death Wish II (orig. o/s)
Death Wish III (orig. o/s/signed by Ed Lauter)
Death Hunt (orig. o/s)
They Live (Thai)
Robocop (Thai)
Big Trouble in Little China (Spanish)
Phantasm II (foreign, poss. Thai)
Hardcore (insert)
The Mechanic (HUGE French)
Night of the Creeps (orig. o/s)
Fright Night (orig. Jap./ signed by cast)
A Nightmare on Elm St. 2 (orig. Jap.)
Godzilla 1985 (orig. o/s)
Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster (orig. US one-sheet)
The Devil's Rejects ("Last Supper" banner-sheet)
Eyes Without a Face (UK re-issue quad)
Lone Wolf McQuade (orig. o/s)
Death Wish III (Belgian)
Night of the Comet (orig. o/s)
Blue Velvet (orig. o/s)
Mulholland Dr. (orig. o/s)
Friday the 13th part 2 (Turkish)
Dr. Phibes (Turkish)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (Mexican lobby)
Jaws (Mexican lobby)
King Kong '76 (2-sheet 8' poster)
The Black Hole (orig. daybill)
Rolling Thunder (Aussie daybill)

I have a lot more than this, but those are all that I can remember off the top of my head. It's a bad habit to get into, but getting some of these rare posters is pretty damn satisfying.
Old 05-11-08, 08:37 PM

I have been looking for a poster for the movie Cinema Paradiso for a while now. The poster is the cover of the 2 disc Deluxe Edition seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/Cinema-Paradis...0556093&sr=8-1

I saw this once on an online forum (can't remember where) and I would love to get a 27 x 40 copy of it. Can anybody help?

-- John
Old 05-12-08, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I wasn't going to reply but..WHAT THE HELL!

The original WTC poster was stolen and sold by my brother but I replaced it with these...both signed by John Romita Jr and Stan Lee!

The only Spider-Man 2 poster I own and sadly I missed out on the Spider-Man 3 posters

Signed by the Rayment Twins

Not signed but badass

The only Batman poster I own

I have too many X-men posters

Not pictured the Star Wars prequel trilogy posters. The only one I'm missing is the second poster for Revenge of the Sith.

Going through this thread has made me realize how much I loved/love collecting movie posters, and I promised my lady I'd frame what I have and not buy anymore until then. Which brings me to a question, can anyone school me on framing? I went to Aaron's Brothers and they qouted me about $200 to "properly" frame just one of my posters. They said I didn't want to use the wrong materials for fear of ruining the poster over time...am I being BS'd or is this true? Does glass or plastic work better for the window, and is UV coating worth the hassle?
Old 05-12-08, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by zero
Going through this thread has made me realize how much I loved/love collecting movie posters, and I promised my lady I'd frame what I have and not buy anymore until then. Which brings me to a question, can anyone school me on framing? I went to Aaron's Brothers and they qouted me about $200 to "properly" frame just one of my posters. They said I didn't want to use the wrong materials for fear of ruining the poster over time...am I being BS'd or is this true? Does glass or plastic work better for the window, and is UV coating worth the hassle?
I dunno, I just use the cheap $20 frames from Walmart for my 27x40 posters.

I have mostly comic posters, here's my list:
all 5 Superman films (thank you WB free rebate with Superman tin set!)
Batman Begins
Hellboy
2 Dark Knight (brick wall and Joker Why So Serious)
Sin City
All 3 Spidermans
V for Vendetta
Fantastic Four (this one might just remain in the tube lol)
The Punisher

Next up to purchase: Iron Man and Hellboy 2
Old 05-12-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Anybody know where I can cop an original DS Spider-Man WTC advance poster for under $1K??
Old 05-12-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
eBay?

We had a them here at work, but the company pulled them all.
Old 05-13-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Originally Posted by devilshalo
eBay?

We had a them here at work, but the company pulled them all.
Too many bootlegs on Ebay. I found a place that has them for $350 but they are OOS.
Old 05-14-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace
Too many bootlegs on Ebay.
If you just want it to display it, what's the harm in that?
Old 05-14-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuan Jim

That is awesome! Also, thanks for the heads up, I may have to go check out one of my favorite childhood movies on the big screen(with a bucket of beer)!
Old 05-15-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
A few more sweet custom jobs for the Alamo Drafthouse Leone Rolling Roadshow - those would be some fun screenings to attend:

Old 05-16-08, 12:24 AM
Banned

I just snatched up the 3 for the "Man With No Name" trilogy.

Last edited by Lt Ripley; 10-31-12 at 10:56 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.