Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pineapple Express (David Gordon Green, 2008)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pineapple Express (David Gordon Green, 2008)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Were there any gorgeous location shots...or did Green totally sell out?
Old 07-22-08, 10:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Quake1028
Just saw it tonight as well.
BTW, I didn't like it as much as Superbad (which I consider an elite comedy) or Knocked Up or 40YOV, but it was very funny, and I generally like comedies much more on repeated viewings.
I was gonna post pretty much the same thing. Thanks for saving me the time.
Old 07-23-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Were there any gorgeous location shots...or did Green totally sell out?
Not really, that I can remember, but at times my focus was elsewhere (security type stuff). Then again, it's not really a movie that would lend itself to those kind of shots. A lot of it takes place indoors.
Old 07-23-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I so want to find out how this turns out:

Old 07-23-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Just got my 2 free advanced screening passes for the film today.

Hopefully if I don't work next Thursday, I'll be able to attend the screening with my girlfriend.
Old 07-23-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those who have seen it, how would you compare it to the other great action comedy of the past few years, Hot Fuzz?
Old 07-24-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I saw it last night, absolutly amazing, i loved every minute. The laughs keep rolling, and when the action kicks in it plays with so many of the standard buddy action conventions you can't help but crack up. The comparison to Hot Fuzz is justified, but I would but this as being a better flick (and I love HF).
Old 07-24-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like it's now opening Wednesday, August 6th. Two days early. Probably because Tropic Thunder did the same with it's release date on the following week.
Old 07-24-08, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found out they are having a preview in Rochester, NY this monday and David Gordon Green is going to be doing a Q and A.

FUCK YES. Can't wait.
Old 07-26-08, 04:21 AM

Saw the film and wrote my review last night. Here it is, courtesy of my MySpace blog. Apologies if there are any spoilers:

Pineapple Express - ***1/2
Directed by David Gordon Green

Although highly anticipated by me, I worried going into the sneak screening of this movie tonight that I might not enjoy it all that much, especially after the positive, but not thoroughly enthusiastic responses I received from some old friends from Pittsburgh last night. However, as the lights went down and the picture started to unfold, i realized that my expectations were going to be exceeded, because this action comedy manages to be a daring studio movie that manages to balance both well in both style and execution.

Starting with the vintage black & white Columbia logo (from the 1930s), Pineapple Express opens in 1937, when the military is testing the effects that marijuana has on people. This opening sequence is not only a truly inspired sequence, but it also manages to make you laugh out loud at the same time. You'll be drooling at the visuals, but you'll be laughing right along with it too. The film then transitions to present day, where we meet Dale Denton (Seth Rogan), a process server who disguises himself as many different people during his work day so he can deliver them subpenas and other things like that, but also has his own problems, including the fact that he is dating an 18-year old girl named Angie and his recent obsession with marijuana as well. That's where Saul Silver (James Franco, stealing the whole show I might add) comes in. He's Dale's pot dealer, and he is just gotten in some of the most rare pot known to man called the Pineapple Express. Saul's saying alone for it makes the scene itself a very funny affair. While on his way to issue a subpenea to a man named Ted Jones (Gary Cole), Dale discovers quite by acident that he is a drug czar, and that he has a crooked cop named Carol (Rosie Perez) who helps him do his dirty work. We find out because Dale becomes a witness to their murder of a member of an Asian gang, who is at war with Ted's gang. While leaving his butt of Pineapple Express on the ground, Dale hurries back to Saul, this time to find out how rare the drug is and whether it can be traced back to them. Before they know it, both Dale and Saul are on the run and are level-headed enough to notice that they're being chased by just about everyone who is not on their side.

What follows from that point on is a buddy movie similar in style to comedy classics like 48 Hrs. and Rush Hour as they try to avoid Ted Jones and his goons, who are planning to dispatch of both Dale and Saul, as well as trying to explain their situation to anyone, from Dale's girlfriend all the way to Saul's friend Red (the hilarious Danny McBride). In fact, Red is the character that manages outside of Franco's Saul to deliver some of the biggest laughs of the film. Take the scene where Dale and Saul interrogate Red on what he knows. Once Dale realizes that he is lying, what ensues is one of the funniest violent scenes I have ever had the privlage of viewing on the big screen, as they try to kill him off and fail unbelievably in the process. This idea becomes a running joke, and a very good one at that. You think at first that Rogan and his co-writer Evan Goldberg won't be able to come through with it, but they do, and in spectacular fasion too, I might add. It's also a testament to David Gordan Green's direction that it comes off without a hitch.

There are numerous other scenes that will have you in stitches, such as a couple of smart car chases (the one I'm referring to specifically is the one that has been seen in the trailers, with Saul's leg going through the windshield), a confession scene where Dale tells his girlfriend that he loves her, only to realize his mistake, a meeting with her parents (Ed Begley Jr. and Nora Dunn) that turns into gunpoint 101, and an extended finale taking place in a barn that involves our heroes, main villains, and the Asians all shooting at each other. It is in fact this sequence that proves Pineapple Express's worth, that it's really an uproarious excuse to make us laugh and watch Apatow and company blow everything up, including the kitchen sink.

If there are really any complaints that I have with the film, there are really only two. One, we kind of leave Angie hanging at the end. It's unfortunate because just seeing her get out of this mess would've been a little more satisfying. The same goes for its ending, where it seems like it just ends. It seemed that there could've been a true denoumont, but the creators seem to just want to quit while they're ahead. While I wish there was a little more to go after that scene, I guess after the insanity that came before it, ending it with just one scene afterwards might seem like the best alternative. Still, they are minor quibbles in what is truly a funny film.

My initial reaction leaving the movie was that I had witnessed one of the funniest films of the summer, but in all fairness and honesty, the film has sunk in for two reasons. One, there really hasn't been a truly funny comedy made so far this summer yet, and two, I caught myself quoting the movie as I left it. Here is so far the funniest film of the summer, and although it's not quite the funniest film I've seen this year, it makes for worthy competition for a spot up there. It's really an amazing feat that I'm able to announce that the writers of Superbad have managed to create another comedy classic, this time one where its action and comedy comes together to form a compatible charge that I have not seen in quite some time. When this film hits your local multiplex, expect to laugh until it hurts. One of the funniest films of the year, and easily the funniest film to grace us so far this summer!

Also, I just want to mention that if you want to hear a good tune during the end credits, stick around for the title song performed by none other than Huey Lewis & The News. This is actually the second time I've heard it (I was introduced to the song on the official soundtrack page on MySpace not too long ago) and I liked it a lot more the second time around. To conclude this review, I repeat my last line from the previous paragraph: When this film hits your local multiplex, expect to laugh until it hurts. One of the funniest films of the year, and easily the funniest film to grace us so far this summer!
Old 07-28-08, 10:42 PM
Banned

Just went to a press screening with a Q and A with David Gordon Green. The film was really enjoyable. It was such a great mix of comedy and action. Pretty much every laugh is matched with some intense action, which brings more laughs. It's quite the adventure film as a whole. I LOVED Franco in it. He is great in his role as a lovable loser. You can also tell DGG's directorial touch. This is not just a stoner comedy, its a piece of cinema that holds its own, when comparing it with other adventure flicks and upper tier comedies. I really recommend seeing this movie, it was a great refresher from the disappointing Step Brothers.

8/10.
Old 07-29-08, 01:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
this is sounding better and better every day. 4 and 1 on tomatoes too.
Old 07-31-08, 04:56 PM

can someone tell me what the music is that plays in one of the trailers? and it's not the Huey Lewis theme song. thanks.
Old 07-31-08, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott1598
can someone tell me what the music is that plays in one of the trailers? and it's not the Huey Lewis theme song. thanks.
M.I.A. - Paper Planes off the 2007 album Kala

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sei-eEjy4g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Planes_(song)

It features a sample from Straight to Hell by The Clash
Old 07-31-08, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by JPRaup
M.I.A. - Paper Planes off the 2007 album Kala

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sei-eEjy4g
that's it. thank you. dl'ing as we speak...
Old 07-31-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm looking forward to this.
Old 08-01-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have now seen all of the big 3 comedies this summer, and I think Pineapple just edges out Tropic Thunder as my favorite of the bunch.
Old 08-04-08, 10:15 PM
Suspended

I saw it a screening tonight. Really funny. It works because its such a throwback to all those 80s cheesy action comedies. I was a little disapointed Gary Cole didn't have more to do and the plotline between Dale andhis girlfriend was never wrapped up but overally I liked it. Anyone notice all the homoerotism in the movie? Reminded me of when I went to a Q&A with Simon Pegg and he talked about how all those buddy comedies are kind of gay if you dig deeper into the psyche.

Can't wait to see Tropic Thunder thursday!
Old 08-04-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You might want to spoiler some of that.
Old 08-05-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The movie was great. My favorite line was from Franco...

*slightly slowed down so his voice is deeper*
"Fuck the po-lice!!!"
Old 08-05-08, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quake1028
You might want to spoiler some of that.
well, on conan tonight, they showed the scene, where both rogan and franco are hand cuffed, and each of them trying to get each other lose, it looks like they're having sex. that is also in the trailer.
Old 08-05-08, 05:30 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Saw it tonight. Very funny. Not my favorite recent Apatow production (that would be Sarah Marshall), but there were a few scenes that had me rolling.

Spoiler:
When Dale is on the phone with his girlfriend and she says she wants to marry him and he immediately sobers up and says "...I made a mistake," I almost pissed myself laughing.
Old 08-05-08, 06:54 AM
Suspended

My fave line of the movie by far because it was so random is

Spoiler:
FUCK JEFF GOLDBLUM MAN
Old 08-05-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Reviews have been seemingly a little mixed.

That said, Ebert is a big fan of this flick: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/427486480