Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2007 OSCAR TALK - news, discussion, speculation

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2007 OSCAR TALK - news, discussion, speculation

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts
Norbit is an Oscar nominated film. Zodiac is not.
I wanna cry
Old 01-22-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunde
Norbit is an Oscar nominated film.
Eddie will lose this one too. So ironic.
Old 01-22-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Well, since TWBB and NCFOM are the front-runners, there is always a chance that they split and a third film sneaks in. I dont think it will happen, but you never know (Atonement?).
If that were to happen, although I don't think it will, then Michael Clayton would be my choice that would sneak in. It received 3 acting, screenplay, and director. Atonement had 1 acting, 1 screenplay, and no director.
Old 01-22-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like its a two horse race between There will be blood, and No country for old men.
Old 01-22-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
Norbit is an Oscar nominated film. Zodiac is not.
I wanna cry

hang in there *passes the tissues box*
Old 01-22-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Juno deserves all the Oscar attention as I thought Little Miss Sunshine did last year.

I know Daniel Day Lewis is likely a shoe-in but I really hope Depp wins because he's been screwed a number of times.
Old 01-22-08, 05:44 PM

Michael Clayton with 7 nominations, seriously? I must have missed something because I thought it was average at best.

Good to see Casey Affleck nominated for Jesse James, hope he wins. Love all the nominations for best actor other than Clooney, WTF????, can't really decide between Day-Lewis, Depp, and Viggo.
Old 01-22-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by runnersdialzero
Also, they had to throw in that one total WTF nod. This time it goes to Tommy Lee Jones for In the Valley of Elah. A movie that has had ZERO buzz in the last 3 months.
That's why it's important to pay attention to gut feeling/early buzz a little, in addition to the big blitz of buzz that comes in December and January. I find it unlikely that an Academy member who loved Tommy Lee Jones' performance would think, "Well, I can't write him down, the buzz has faded!" when filling out the ballot. And thank goodness for that, because his nomination is completely deserved.

This seems to happen every year - a movie or performance is talked about as an early frontrunner, but it doesn't get as much precursor/media attention at the end of the year so everyone ignores it, and then it shows up in the nominations anyway.

Same for Blanchett in Elizabeth: The Golden Age this year.
Old 01-22-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Daytripper
But thrilled "The Bucket List" got zilch. I love the commercial where they have critic's reviews and one said "Give the Oscar to Nicholson and Freeman now!". Good one.
You know a movie is bad when it's too sappy and uplifting for even the Academy.
Old 01-22-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
No, I think this is a case of the Academy mindlessly getting behind a film that that average numbskull moviegoer has embraced, and the Academy knows that's the kind of shit they need to nominate to get people into watching their telecast. If this were a year with more phenomenal films Juno would be nowhere on any list.
I doubt they choose nominations based on telecast viewership - or at least, very few of them do so. Do you really think Jack Nicholson considers potential show viewers when filling out his ballot?

The key part of your statement is in the first half of your sentence. Most Academy members are average numbskull moviegoers.
Old 01-22-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just noticed Lars & the Real Girl was nominated for Original Screenplay.

All in all, I hope its on TV.
Old 01-22-08, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I just noticed Lars & the Real Girl was nominated for Original Screenplay.
i was hoping that ryan gosling would have gotten nominated for Lars as he had been nominated for a bunch of awards up to this point. oh well. he had Half Nelson last year.
Old 01-22-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
oh dear god hearing o'reily just talk about the nominated movies almost made me break my tv.
Old 01-22-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting Oscar Nomination factoid:

With Javier Bardem's nomination for Supporting Actor for No Country for Old Men, Kate Hudson is now the only nominee for 2000 to have only one nomination.

Russell Crowe: 3 (1 win)
Javier Bardem: 2
Tom Hanks: 5 (2 wins)
Ed Harris: 4
Geoffrey Rush: 3 (1 win)

Julia Roberts: 3 (1 win)
Juliette Binoche: 2 (1 win)
Joan Allen: 3
Ellen Burstyn: 6 (1 win)
Laura Linney 3

Benicio Del Toro: 2 (1 win)
Jeff Bridges: 4
Albert Finney: 5
Joaquin Phoenix: 2
Willem Dafoe: 2

Marcia Gay Harden: 2 (1 win)
Kate Hudson: 1
Frances McDormand: 4 (1 win)
Julie Walters: 2
Judi Dench: 1 (1 win)
Old 01-23-08, 01:44 AM

I was hoping that Andy Griffith would get a BSA nomination for "Waitress", but I realized that is a pretty stacked category this year. I thought his performance was better than Alan Arkin's winning performance last year.
Old 01-23-08, 04:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shonn
Michael Clayton with 7 nominations, seriously? I must have missed something because I thought it was average at best.

Good to see Casey Affleck nominated for Jesse James, hope he wins. Love all the nominations for best actor other than Clooney, WTF????, can't really decide between Day-Lewis, Depp, and Viggo.
Hollywood is out to make Clooney a star.
Even the public doesn't go and make his movies hits except for the OCEAN movies which could be because it's a star filled cast.
Old 01-23-08, 05:54 AM

No Denzel nominations for AG???? FLUX the Oscars!!!!
Old 01-23-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,071 Likes on 849 Posts
Originally Posted by OutRun2
No Denzel nominations for AG???? FLUX the Oscars!!!!

He didn't deserve one.
Old 01-23-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 658 Posts
It's refreshing to see that even though Charlie Wilson's War received good reviews, the default nomination of Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts didn't happen. To make it even more refreshing, someone else in the film got a nomination instead (Hoffman).
Old 01-23-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by redrum
oh dear god hearing o'reily just talk about the nominated movies almost made me break my tv.
I know....what an idiot. He said that No Country For Old Men was good for 75% of the movie and There Will Be Blood was boring. He said he wont see Atonement because he doesnt understand British movies.

He said Juno should win, but that the academy should start nominating more mass appeal movies.
Old 01-23-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,071 Likes on 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Coral
It's refreshing to see that even though Charlie Wilson's War received good reviews, the default nomination of Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts didn't happen. To make it even more refreshing, someone else in the film got a nomination instead (Hoffman).
Having seen the movie, it got what it deserved.. a nomination for Hoffman.
Old 01-23-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I know....what an idiot. He said that No Country For Old Men was good for 75% of the movie and There Will Be Blood was boring. He said he wont see Atonement because he doesnt understand British movies.

He said Juno should win, but that the academy should start nominating more mass appeal movies.
Well, did he offer any suggestions? Looking at the 13 movies that grossed $150 million or more, I just see Ratatouille as a contender, and it did get a couple of nominations. The only other one I think they could possibly take seriously is The Bourne Ultimatum (though I actually haven't seen that yet).
Old 01-23-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know it's not good to equate taste in films with intelligence but...
Old 01-23-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Shonn

I couldn't agree more. Sure, Clooney was pretty good in it. But Best Picture of the Year nomination??
Old 01-23-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
I couldn't agree more. Sure, Clooney was pretty good in it. But Best Picture of the Year nomination??
I don't see it, either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.