Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DragonBall (Live Action) - News, Yada, hmmm

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

DragonBall (Live Action) - News, Yada, hmmm

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts
Re: DragonBall (Live Action) - News, Yada, hmmm

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Yeah, that is totally all that I'm looking for. I haven't been following the buzz or talk about this movie, but I'm sure fans are in an outrage over the movie from the moment it was announced. I loved Dragonball when I was a kid, so I'm just hoping for some fun with this. A perfect recreation wouldn't even make for a good movie.
Then you're definitely in the right mindset to enjoy this movie.

I avoided all the fan opinions until after I saw the film. I wasn't surprised to see all the venom thrown its way. But I did find it funny to read what the so-called fans insist this movie should have been like. What they describe sounds like a boring, joyless, self-obsessed, Shakespearean tragedy wannabe. Even at it's most self important (and boy could it really go down that dreadful road way too many times), the Dragonball Z portion of the series never hid the fact that it was a comedy at heart. I would have hated this movie if the fans had their say.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-10-09 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed the movie. Don't go in expecting too much and you'll be happy. Fight scenes were decent and an extra amount of cleavage was nice. Can't say I'll buy this when it comes out but it's at least worth a rental.
Old 04-10-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
There was a ton of advertising for this movie, but much like the Hannah Montana movie, it is only on specific channels. I got bored one night and watched an episode of Spongebob, every other commercial was for Dragonball or H. Montana.
I must be really watching the wrong shows or something, I've seen plenty of Hannah Montana ads and absolutely no Dragonball ads. In fact, if not for seeing the review blurb on this site, I wouldn't even have known it came out this week.
Old 04-10-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I haven't seen much advertising for it either.
Old 04-11-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw this tonite. As expected, it sucks. It's better than the recent Chun Li movie, but worse than even Mortal Kombat or Raul Julia's Street Fighter.
Old 04-11-09, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Well the sequel, Dragonball: Reborn has already been greenlit. Given this film only cost $50 million, I'm sure they'll make enough to warrant a sequel.
Based on it's Friday night earnings, it's expected to gross less than $5 million this weekend.
Old 04-11-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Seantn
Based on it's Friday night earnings, it's expected to gross less than $5 million this weekend.
Well that sucks.

Hopefully it does big international ticket (and eventual video) sales.
Old 04-11-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by E. Honda
I saw this tonite. As expected, it sucks. It's better than the recent Chun Li movie, but worse than even Mortal Kombat or Raul Julia's Street Fighter.
Mortal Kombat was the first thing I thought about after seeing this movie. It's very similiar in story and quality.
Old 04-11-09, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's an extra scene halfway through the credits.
Spoiler:
Surprise, Piccolo is still alive!
Old 04-11-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
There's an extra scene halfway through the credits.
Spoiler:
Surprise, Piccolo is still alive!
Damn, I was wondering why I didn't see something like that.
Spoiler:
I found it odd that the film didn't leave an opening for the Piccolo Junior saga.
I went with my grandfather so I couldn't stay for the credits. Well, I was already gonna go see it again so I guess I have some extra incentive.
Old 04-11-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

I wasn't expecting much, but I was still mildly surprised at how little of the original manga/anime made it into the film. Which begs the question...why do it? There are many reasons why the original series was so wildly popular around the world. Why ignore all of those things in making the movie? Why completely alter the character of Goku, whose youthful appeal, healthy appetite, overwhelming courage, and lust for adventure provided the heart of the original series. In this movie, he's just another generic high school boy with secret powers.

Also, they turned Chi Chi into quite a sexpot (played by Jamie Chung), an astounding change from the anime, although that may not be such an unwise choice for a movie like this, given how little else of interest there is in it. But she's clearly not the Chi Chi we alternately loved and resented in the original.

Emmy Rossum's Bulma is quite a bit older and more voluptuous than the goofy teenage Bulma we met at this stage of the story in the original comic. Again, not a bad thing. She's more of an adventurer, with a high-tech gun always at the ready. Thanks to Rossum, Bulma is actually the only interesting character in the whole piece and I wish she'd been in a better movie. (And Rossum's gotten quite attractive since THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, the last thing I saw her in.)

But at least it was short--around 84 min., including the end credits.

I may have disliked FORBIDDEN KINGDOM last year, but it was a lot better than this.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-11-09 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-11-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow i must be crazy to think that Mortal Kombat AND Street Fighter were awesome...but perhaps im taking them from the perspective of WHEN THEY WERE FIRST RELEASED WHEN I WAS A KID! Which is when, I believe, you're SUPPOSED to judge them from...Anywayz, I thought the Dragon Ball movie was entertaining, tho not amazing in any way, and I am lookin forward to a sequel (which i do hope will be better).

And Ash Ketchum...HOW COULD YOU HATE THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM?! SUCH A GREAT MOVIE!
Old 04-12-09, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw it again yesterday and still found it enjoyable. They accomplished a lot with such a miniscule budget. That said, I wish they had a little more cos the quintisential live action Dragonball-style battle is definitely the Super Burly Brawl of The Matrix Revolutions.

Now that I saw the mid-end credits scene, I have a question:

Spoiler:
Was the woman nursing Piccolo back to health the same woman Mai presumably shot point blank during the beginning of the movie?

I'm still cool with the changes made in the movie since Dragonball wouldn't translate too well in a live action setting if it had been done 100% like the comics/cartoons. I like that they stuck to the spirit of the series if not the actual letter.

Besides, if you want the comics or the cartoons, both are readily available. And before anyone brings up the tired LOTR argument, please re-read the books. All three films took major liberties with the source material. FOTR is the truest to the book and even that was heavily altered (with varying results) from what's in the book.

I still enjoy Mortal Kombat and the Raul Julia Street Fighter movie. The former is a pretty decent attempt to bring the first game to the big screen (choosing to use Enter The Dragon as its template which was also the template for the first game). As for Street Fighter, although it's a piss poor adaptation of the game, it's a fun B-grade action/comedy and I enjoy on that level although I still long for a proper adaptation of the source material.
Old 04-12-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14

And Ash Ketchum...HOW COULD YOU HATE THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM?! SUCH A GREAT MOVIE!
Read my post. Did I say I "hated" it? No I said I disliked it. Not the same thing.

Besides, I've seen all of Jackie Chan's and Jet Li's movies from their prime years, so anything in this latter stage of their careers is bound to disappoint.

What most bothered me about FORBIDDEN KINGDOM was that mopey-ass white boy who goes back in time. For a kid obsessed with martial arts and Chinese culture, he constantly complains once he finds himself in that world and is forever whining about wanting to go back home. I have a strict rule for young protagonists of movies like this: if you don't want to step up to the plate and be a hero, get out of the movie! There are plenty of kids who'd leap at the chance for such adventures. What would the Harry Potter movies be like if little Harry hated magic and was scared of wizards and sorcerers and spells and ghosts and was constantly whimpering about wanting to go back home to his "muggle" family? You'd never know because nobody would ever have made a movie of a book like that!

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-12-09 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Should I see this movie? I have never seen the show (since I pretty much hate anime stuff) but really liked Mortal Kombat, Forbidden Kingdom, Speed Racer and can't stand Street Fighter the movie. I see most movies, so I was thinking of catching this, but reading the wildly mixed comments here, I'm not sure...
Old 04-12-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Should I see this movie? I have never seen the show (since I pretty much hate anime stuff) but really liked Mortal Kombat, Forbidden Kingdom, Speed Racer and can't stand Street Fighter the movie. I see most movies, so I was thinking of catching this, but reading the wildly mixed comments here, I'm not sure...
If you liked Mortal Kombat, Forbidden Kingdom, and Speed Racer, you'll likely dig this. It's mostly like Forbidden Kingdom in that it's a quest film and the protagonist's group of companions grow along the way. It's remenicent of Mortal Kombat since it was true to the spirit of the source material but was willing to take liberties with various elements of the original. And it has a hint of the cartoony humour of Speed Racer. Dragonball: Evolution can be very funny at times (particularly any scene involving Chow Yun-Fat and certain funny lines from Randall Duk Kim) but it doesn't reach the broad level of humour of Speed Racer.

The only similarity this movie has to the Raul Julia Street Fighter movie is that Goku wears the same garb as in the comics/cartoon (and his hair is totally restyled to match the hairstyle from the comics/cartoon) towards the end of the movie.

It's a harmless poprcorn flick. No more. No less.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-12-09 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went out and watched it tonight. My first time in a theater since Departed. As a huge fan of the series I went in with a completely open mind after reading the reviews. I just needed to have some fun. It was a pretty fun movie. Obviously a ton of stuff was changed around but overall I enjoyed it for what it was.

Oh, I was also the only person in the theater. First time that has happened to me.
Old 04-14-09, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Saw this tonight with a group of my friends. We all agreed while not an exact retelling; this movie was still a lot of fun to watch. Definitely a purchase down the road.
Old 04-14-09, 06:17 AM

If you have never watched/read any Dragonball, will the story be accessible?
Old 04-14-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's easy to follow. They really condensed the story (and removed characters) so that it could work in an 84 minute movie.

You'll only have three questions that the film never addresses:
Spoiler:
1) How did Piccolo escape his prison?

2) Why does Mai serve Piccolo?

3) How did Roshi expect to cast the Ma Fu Ba alone when it took seven mystics the first time around?

Other than those three unanswered questions, the story is real easy to follow.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-14-09 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-17-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a 128 page draft of the script: http://dbthemovie.com/Dragonball%20Z.pdf

I haven't read it yet but I've been told Pilaf was the villain in this draft instead of Piccolo.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-17-09 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I'm 48 pages into the script (I'm at the point when Yamcha has joined Bulma and Goku on their way to Turtle Island) and, although I thoroughly enjoyed the film as is, they would have been better off using Ben Ramsey's draft. It stays truer to the comics/cartoon so as to better please the fans but with enough embellishments so as not to overwhelm and openly welcome newcomers to the franchise.

And in these first 48 pages there's more hand to hand combat than the whole finished film offered.

The only change I see that would definitely rub fans the wrong way (other than those that were also present in the finished film) is
Spoiler:
a Goku/Bulma/Yamcha love triangle.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-17-09 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-18-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ma Fu Ba Dance:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3Bz3jHYzL4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3Bz3jHYzL4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 04-20-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I read this recently over at IMDB and found it interesting:

Originally Posted by DragonbradZ
I recently sent an email to Ben Ramsey's Myspace. He added me as a friend in order for me to write to him. This was my message:

----------------- Original Message -----------------

To: Ben Ramsey
Date: Apr 19, 2009 11:19 AM
Subject: DB:E

Read your 1st draft of the script. Saw the movie. I didn't like it. Wasn't faithful to the source like Sin City,300,Watchmen & Iron Man were.
Though I noticed your script had more homages to the manga.
Did you read the whole manga before writing or did you watch part of the anime for research?

I know you didnt have a hand in preventing FOX or James Wong in changing the script or making the choices for cast.
But I feel you should of hinted that Goku was Asian more in the 1st script, maybe that would of made a difference (probably not).

I dont like FOX. They dip their hand way too much in the film process.
I know they originally wanted Stephen Chow to direct this (he couldnt; was filming CJ7 at the time), so they made him honorary "advisory" producer (thuogh not listening to any of his ideas) and marketed his name and face as main producer in Asia (even though the producer was really Tim Van Rellim).

Also using Joon Park (not even a martial artist..a Korean Pop Singer...they took out your 2 fight scenes with Yamcha & Goku)

To help hype the movie in Asia (selling out) and cast that Justin Chatwin guy as Goku (who to me, Goku was always basically a Jackie Chan on paper...hell, he's influenced by the first Drunken Master movie)

But your use of high school plot device wasnt even needed. Nor was the romance. You're basically pandering to "nerd geeks" who like Dragon Ball, which isnt the case.
Dragon Ball is so popular for so many reasons to so many different types of people around the world. It isnt just popular to "nerd geeks" who you feel can 'identify' on film with the cliche 'high school outcast'.
Its basically like trying to modernize The Jungle Book or Tarzan.
People would be like "WTF".

Also what FOX doesnt realize is that Goku is Asia's "Superman"
Let them have their superhero!
Would we accept a Superman that was Asian or Black?
Probably not.
I know Will Smith was offered the role of Superman but turned it down because, his words: "I didnt want to offend the white fans. I already did something similar with Jim West in Wild Wild West"

The movie probably financially would have done better interntationally considering the majority of DB fans are in Asia since the story's been popular there since 1984m, and the U.S. only got wind of the story in 1998.
4 billion vs 127 million.
Simple math.
Also, lets say there even is a sequel; yur script opened too many plotholes for future stories to make sense.
Still trying to figure out how Piccolo knows about Goku since he was trapped in a jar for 2000 years.
Many non fans are also trying to figure that one out.

I know the movie process is a joint handed effort; not bashing you totally here, but I honestly thought that since the movie industry has come so far in HW with upping the bar in quality that story like this would have gotten the Lord of The Rings Epic trilogy treatment, and not be under budgeted with an inferior director, weak script (dude its weak cmon) and miscast, which is really insensitive to the Asian community.

I mean, whens the last time you seen an Asian male superhero?
Whens the last time you seen an Asian male lead get the girl?
Or whens the last time you seen an Asian female lead that got the guy that wasnt Asian?
Maybe Asian American community doesnt stick up for themselves in HW. Maybe HW is still guilty of Yellowface and being Ethnocentric/Eurocentric.
But in this day and age, where Blacks and Hispanics have made advances in HW (small), I thought at least this movie could have broken some barriers.
My little brother drove from NY to LA 2 years ago to break into the movie business. I would hope HW wasnt like this and could 'grow up' for his sake.

-

And this was his response:

Apr 19, 2009 10:03 PM
Subject:
RE: DB:E
Body:
The truth of the matter, brother, is that Hollywood is a racist town. The people in power want to make movies that they think will sell. They believe that white leads will sell better than non-whites.

I read all Dragonball Mangas and a few of the DBZ mangas and I watch tons of videos. I based my draft on the "Saga of Goku" and the "King Piccolo saga." If you read the draft that was on line that wasn't my 1st draft. My first draft didn't have Goku in High school. And it started off with an extensive prologue about King piccolo first invasion of earth and his defeat at the hands of Master Mutaito.

Emperor Pilaf Mai and Shu return and free Piccolo who wants the Dragonballs to regain his youth. Roshi, Goku and company want the dragonballs to summon Master Mutaito's return.

My first draft was too budget prohibitive so it was scaled back considerably. I wrote at least 5 drafts of that movie. I'm not even sure of the one that was rewritten for the screen. I had nothing to do with the production process at all. I never met with the producers or directors. I wish I had.

My draft was a departure from the source material, but I tried to maintain the spirit of the Mangas. My main problem was making Goku a teen but having him on the same adventure that the child Goku was on. I gave cameos to many other characters like Krillen, The Ox King, Tambourine, Suno, Puar, Oolong and Androids.

I think if they did my 1st draft more hardcore fans would have dug it. On the real though, Dragonball and Dragonball Z is a hard property to try to make a live action, feature film out of. I think It would have been a better animated joint with top-flight pixar quality digital animation.

Sorry you didn't like the DBE. But look our for Blood and Bone. It's a fight film that I directed staring Michael Jai White. If you like REAL fighting you'll dig this movie. "

His Myspace page

http://www.myspace.com/benramsey187?...5&lnkkey=Link2

So there you have it.

He even agrees that live action movie SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN MADE and if anything, just make it a Pixar type CGI movie.
Oh and here's a screenshot of the e-mail exchange:

Originally Posted by DragonbradZ
I lol'd at your rip on Mac users. My friend would not be amused.

Anyways:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1580/ramseyw.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7011/ramsey2.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6788/ramsey3.jpg

imageshack was the first place I thought of. Dont know if its the best uploadsite but whatever
I actually enjoyed the draft that's making the rounds online (which I posted earlier in this very thread). I'm curious to see what he originally wrote.
Old 08-03-09, 09:46 PM

I know it offended the hardcore fans, and I used to be one, but I actually sat down and thought it was very entertaining.