Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Owen Wilson attempts suicide!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Owen Wilson attempts suicide!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is a Thelonious Monk.
Old 08-29-07, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wilson's in the upcoming The Darjeeling Limited, the opening night feature at the New York Film Festival on Sept. 28. This slot is reserved for the most prestigious film.
Old 08-29-07, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
What is a Thelonious Monk.
He was the composer of 'Suicide is Painless' the theme to M.A.S.H.
Don't kids these days learn these things?
Old 08-29-07, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by porieux
Actually that was sarcasm. I'm a big music fan, not of his, but I am well aware of who he was.
Old 08-29-07, 01:49 AM

Actually that was sarcasm. I'm a big music fan, not of his, but I am well aware of who he was.

Oh sorry, I'm not too quick with the sarcasm.
Old 08-29-07, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh, "Suicide is Painless' was written by Johnny Mandel with lyrics by Mike Altman (Robert's son).

Thelonious Monk was a fantastic jazz pianist, have you actually ever heard any of his work?

Still you're not familiar with Owen Wilson huh?
Old 08-29-07, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Uh, "Suicide is Painless' was written by Johnny Mandel with lyrics by Mike Altman (Robert's son).

Thelonious Monk was a fantastic jazz pianist, have you actually ever heard any of his work?

Still you're not familiar with Owen Wilson huh?
Looks like you aren't too quick with the sarcasm either

Somebody is going to get mad if this thread doesn't get back on topic...

And no, for the last time, I honestly am not familiar with him.
And I don't think it's very interesting to pretend I don't know someone....

Here are my top listened to artists, maybe you have heard of at least some of them? Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, Two Lone Swordsmen, Thelonious Monk, Black Sabbath, Buckethead, Raymond Scott, The Beatles, Mastodon, Vader, Miles Davis, GreensKeepers, Isis, Fantômas, Scientist, Black Strobe, Voivod, Opeth, Celtic Frost, Skyclad, Birdy Nam Nam, DJ Vadim, Andrés Segovia, Goblin, Ruins, King Tubby, Ursula 1000, Tomahawk, Children of Bodom, The Herbaliser, Iron Maiden, Ayreon, The Presets, Augustus Pablo, In Flagranti, Joakim, Black devil disco club, Lamb of God, J Dilla, The Chameleons, Therion, Warhorse, Cephalic Carnage, Blind Guardian, Beastie Boys, Chicken Lips, Spank Rock, Alarm Will Sound, Carcass, Tommy McCook.

Last edited by porieux; 08-29-07 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-29-07, 02:07 AM

Somebody is going to get mad if this thread doesn't get back on topic...
Very true...

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Wilson's in the upcoming The Darjeeling Limited, the opening night feature at the New York Film Festival on Sept. 28. This slot is reserved for the most prestigious film.
Has there been an official wide U.S. release date announced for this?
Old 08-29-07, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by cranberries fan
Marilyn Monroe was murdered in 1962 it's was not a suicide.You need to read-up on the subject of Miss.Monroe ok.

Marilyn Monroe either died from an accidental "huge" overdose of prescription meds or an INTENTIONAL "huge" overdose of prescription meds. Most forensic experts believed it was intentional. No one has ever proven conclusively that Ms. Monroe was murdered by the FBI or CIA or Mafia (or whatever) because of her romantic involvement with both Attorny General Bobby Kennedy and President John F. Kennedy. If you know of a credible report that states otherwise, please share the source with us.
Old 08-29-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I said nothing about you being a troll so I don't know whose ass you pulled that from.

Look, I'm not taking it personally; I'm just finding it hard to believe that there is someone out there (especially a member of a DVD/movie forum) that has no clue who Owen Wilson is.

Anyway, I was flipping through cable and I saw that You, Me, and Dupree was on, I know it's an awful movie, but I just had to watch a little. It honestly felt a little weird (in a sad way) watching Owen's scenes.
Its not hard to believe. A lot of people here don't like watching bad movies.
Old 08-29-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He apparently now dropped out of a movie directed by Ben Stiller and co-starring Jack Black.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/enterta...en_Wilson.html
Old 08-29-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I just don't understand why this is considered anyone's business but Wilson and his family's. The media coverage of this is sickening. Shows there are no boundaries now.
Old 08-29-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's a celebrity and a public figure, and therefore it's "news." I personally don't find anything wrong with it. The guy's movies have grossed lots of money, and clearly lots of people like him (or his work).
Old 08-29-07, 04:00 PM

Here are my top listened to artists, maybe you have heard of at least some of them? Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, Two Lone Swordsmen, Thelonious Monk, Black Sabbath, Buckethead, Raymond Scott, The Beatles, Mastodon, Vader, Miles Davis, GreensKeepers, Isis, Fantômas, Scientist, Black Strobe, Voivod, Opeth, Celtic Frost, Skyclad, Birdy Nam Nam, DJ Vadim, Andrés Segovia, Goblin, Ruins, King Tubby, Ursula 1000, Tomahawk, Children of Bodom, The Herbaliser, Iron Maiden, Ayreon, The Presets, Augustus Pablo, In Flagranti, Joakim, Black devil disco club, Lamb of God, J Dilla, The Chameleons, Therion, Warhorse, Cephalic Carnage, Blind Guardian, Beastie Boys, Chicken Lips, Spank Rock, Alarm Will Sound, Carcass, Tommy McCook.
I have actually heard of most of those people. But there are a few that I have no clue about. The Beatles? Jethro Tull? And what is this Frank Zappa? That sounds weird...

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I really wouldn't consider all of his movies "bad" movies. I am not saying all of his movies are good but I wouldn't just lump them all together. I mean, I think Rushmore is a masterpiece and The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic, and Bottle Rocket are good movies. I think there are even merits to some of his other mainstream comedy hits.

But my point still stands; you may not like these "bad movies" but at least you know who he is.
Old 08-29-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I just don't understand why this is considered anyone's business but Wilson and his family's. The media coverage of this is sickening. Shows there are no boundaries now.
That's the catch about choosing to be in the public eye. It goes both ways. AC/DC.
Old 08-29-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some excerpts from today's AP wire:

-"Wilson's next big-screen appearance is in ''The Darjeeling Limited,'' slated for release next month, in which he stars with Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman. In an eerie coincidence, Wilson plays a distraught man -- bandaged throughout the film -- who other characters imply has attempted suicide.
-''Following a discussion between the cast and filmmakers, all have agreed `The Darjeeling Limited' will open as planned on September 29,'' Fox Searchlight said in a statement Wednesday." "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-"British actor Steve Coogan, who appeared with Wilson in ''Night at the Museum'' and ''Around the World in 80 Days,'' denied tabloid reports Wednesday that he provided Wilson with drugs.
-''My thoughts are with my friend Owen at this difficult time,'' Coogan said in a statement to The Associated Press. ''But I do want to set the record straight and say that the allegations published today are completely and utterly false.'' "
Old 08-29-07, 06:16 PM

I have actually heard of most of those people. But there are a few that I have no clue about. The Beatles? Jethro Tull? And what is this Frank Zappa? That sounds weird...
Yeah you are trying to be sarcastic but your premise is flawed.
You may not have perspective but your favorite actor boy here
is way more obscure than those classic artists.

Not everyone is in a homogenized TV culture haze.

But my point still stands; you may not like these "bad movies" but at least you know who he is.

Your point that everyone in the civilized world knows who this dude is, or they are lying? LOL!
Old 08-29-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course, that's built on the assumption that you have to have seen any of his movies to know who he is, which is untrue.
Damn it! So does this mean that because I know who Owen Wilson is that I'm still stuck in this "homogenized TV culture haze"?

-

With that said, I personally don't see what's so shocking about someone not knowing who he is. He is a famous actor, and (in my opinion) he's been in a few very good movies (especially "The Royal Tenenbaums"), but I hardly consider it a given that everyone has heard of him... But apparently that's just me.

Last edited by Sondheim; 08-29-07 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by me12321
Damn it! So does this mean that because I know who Owen Wilson is that I'm still stuck in this "homogenized TV culture haze"?
Not at all. Only if you can't possibly conceive of someone not knowing who he is.
Old 08-29-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Not at all. Only if you can't possibly conceive of someone not knowing who he is.
The disconnect isn't "someone", but "someone on this board". And if you're not at least familiar with Wes Anderson's movie (I'm not saying you have to like them), then you just don't care about movies. So people are understandably puzzled by someone who would post on this board and not care about movies - that's all.
Old 08-29-07, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
The disconnect isn't "someone", but "someone on this board". And if you're not at least familiar with Wes Anderson's movie (I'm not saying you have to like them), then you just don't care about movies. So people are understandably puzzled by someone who would post on this board and not care about movies - that's all.

Well I guess by your definition I don't care about movies. I'm OK with that.

I don't know who Wes Anderson is either, by the way.
Though I may have heard of his films (assuming he is a director which is what you seem to be implying)

Last edited by porieux; 08-29-07 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know who Wes Anderson is either, by the way.
Though I may have heard of his films (assuming he is a director which is what you seem to be implying)
I understand that not everyone appreciates a director's style and may really just enjoy films that are specifically targeted towards the mass market. The opening night slot at the NY Film Festival is a position that many directors would give their eye teeth for but they understand that it's impossible to "apply for". Wes Anderson, like it or not, is a recognized "auteur" whose creative vision has won him many fans BUT not necessarily a wide enough audience as of yet. Maybe this feature will boost his name recognition further and, hopefully help Owen's spirits too.
Old 08-29-07, 09:18 PM

Yeah you are trying to be sarcastic but your premise is flawed.
You may not have perspective but your favorite actor boy here
is way more obscure than those classic artists.

Your point that everyone in the civilized world knows who this dude is, or they are lying? LOL!
I would hardly call Owen Wilson more obscure than some of the artists mentioned on your list. I would say that more people out there know who Owen Wilson is than Frank Zappa. Which is a shame considering Zappa was a genius.

And I don't really watch tv all that much, so I'm not sure how I'm in a cultural haze.

Oh, and he's not my favorite actor; love his work, but not my favorite.
Old 08-29-07, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I was just curious to see what Lunatikk thought good movies were and apparently The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic are among them.

Nice collection by the way Lunatikk.
Old 08-29-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would hardly call Owen Wilson more obscure than some of the artists mentioned on your list. I would say that more people out there know who Owen Wilson is than Frank Zappa. Which is a shame considering Zappa was a genius.
As I started to read some of the odd comparisons on here, this thought mentioned above is pretty much what crossed my mind.

If you stood in the middle of a mall and showed people photos of Frank Zappa and Owen Wilson, I'm guessing that people might more often be able to identify Wilson. Unfortunately, I'm almost POSITIVE that if you asked people no older then say....25 years old...would be more likely to ID Wilson over Zappa. And if you asked these people "What is this man's career," they'd be more prone to identify Wilson once again as an actor, or at least say "that guy's in movies." Zappa's long hair might give him away as a musician, but if you showed a shot of him with short hair...I'd gather they'd have NO clue.

Unless you're one of those "I don't watch tv and movies" kind of person, odds are you've been exposed to Owen Wilson. Airing of movies on TV (both pay and on the free local channels, his face on magazine covers, trailers in movie theaters etc., it's kind of hard to not know who an actor is. MINIMALLY, you'd probably have one of those "what movie do I know him from," sort of moments.

When it comes to the music end of things...you're less likely to have accidental/casual exposure unless the band/musician is HUGE (like say Beatles) and have their music used in commercials etc.

Sorry for ranting on there, but hopefully I got the gist of my idea out.

Is it possible to keep the comparisons within the same career? Who is another actor like Owen Wilson (in popularity levels I mean) that one could compare to and also think "How can anyone not know who this guy/gal is?"

EDIT: Vince Vaughn maybe?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.