Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Owen Wilson attempts suicide!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Owen Wilson attempts suicide!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, I'm not a fan of his, but this is sad if true and I hope he gets better.
Old 08-27-07, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
If I may add, a person may also feel it is the best thing for others they love... and not necessarily as selfish as it's usually labeled as.
One of my friend's fathers killed himself, stating that he was putting his family through too much with his poor health. I'm not too sure that was the best idea, though.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Owen's work, so I guess on a purely selfish note, I hope this isn't true. Less selfishly, suicide kinda sucks, so I hope he figures out what is bothering him.
Old 08-27-07, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And I thought he was reading Don't kill myself books. Guess not.
Old 08-27-07, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
A shame if true, I'll buck the trend and admit I'm a fan, not of everything he's been in, but his work with Wes Anderson is great. Hope he gets through OK.
Old 08-27-07, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope suicide wasnt the case for his hospitilization. If so, thats sad and i hope the guy resovles whatever issues hes having...
Old 08-27-07, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Cut only his left wrist, took an "undeterminable" amount of pills, and was not alone enough to be found by a family member just in time...sounds like a cry for attention to me...
Old 08-27-07, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Artman
If I may add, a person may also feel it is the best thing for others they love... and not necessarily as selfish as it's usually labeled as.

I refuse to judge anyone who attempts or succeeds in suicide. Whatever their reasons, it is always a tragedy for everyone involved.

One of the saddest outcomes in the Iraq War has been the suicides of 118 of our brave soldiers, marines, and sailors since the beginning of the war. Of the 3,728 dead casualties (to date), 118 men and women murdered themselves while deployed in Iraq. It is difficult to determine (in advance) which folks can survive difficult circumstances from those individuals who cannot take one more minute of a desperate situation. No one knows when this "mental disintegration" will occur.

Last edited by oldchuckles; 08-27-07 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-27-07, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by hardercore
What the hell does somebody like Owen Wilson have to be depressed about?
If a person like Owen attempts to do it things must be really shitty...
Old 08-27-07, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yikes, hope he'll be ok. I enjoy his movies.
Old 08-27-07, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this actually isn't that big of a shock when considering the 3 movies he co-wrote with wes anderson. bottle rocket dealt with a main character who had a mental breakdown. rushmore was fairly dark with a couple depressed characters. royal tenenbaums had a character who attempted suicide and also owen's character was a drug addict. plus i heard that he likes jd salinger books which often have suicide and depression as themes. as care-free as he may seem i'm pretty sure he's got a dark side to him.
Old 08-27-07, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yet only cutting one wrist, chugging just enough pills and finding the time to be alone when he was easily found seem like signs that this is a call for attention.
Old 08-27-07, 07:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Yet only cutting one wrist, chugging just enough pills and finding the time to be alone when he was easily found seem like signs that this is a call for attention.
That or It could be a "I might live or I might not type of thing."
Old 08-27-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's sad when someone gets to the point that he or she feels like death is preferable to life.
Old 08-27-07, 08:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I mean, if you had a nose like that... wouldn't you?

(Wow, I guess I was the one that "went there")

ewwww - harsh!
Old 08-27-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Wow, I'm not a fan of his, but this is sad if true and I hope he gets better.
Well said.

I’m not a fan of his work either but I hope he gets better.
Old 08-27-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Report on FoxNews. Nothing new... just a source other than tabloids and entertainment rags.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294667,00.html
Old 08-27-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jdpatri
Report on FoxNews. Nothing new... just a source other than tabloids and entertainment rags.
Try telling that to the folks that post over in the political forum.
Old 08-27-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Try telling that to the folks that post over in the political forum.
Yeah... that's why I chose not to say "more reputable than" in favor of "a source other than" a tabloid. I figured that no matter your political affiliation, it was still not a tabloid. But I could be wrong. I tend to stay out of such arguments.
Old 08-27-07, 11:58 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Umm...the "sources" are the Star and the Enquirer. I'm not betting on suicide until it's verified by an actual source.
Old 08-27-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From TMZ:

TMZ has obtained the following statement from Owen Wilson:

"I respectfully ask that the media allow me to receive care and heal in private during this difficult time."
Old 08-27-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One wrist makes more sense - How does one cut two wrists anyway? I would think that one would realize after cutting one wrist that it hurts like hell - how does one have the strength or courage to use the sliced-up arm to do the other one?

I'm a fan of Owen's, but what an a**hole - looks like a cry for attention or more respect. He has just degraded himself to Lyndsey Lohan level for me, another actress I had liked before she got moronic with her partying and making bad movie choices...
Old 08-27-07, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I'm a fan of Owen's, but what an a**hole - looks like a cry for attention or more respect. He has just degraded himself to Lyndsey Lohan level for me, another actress I had liked before she got moronic with her partying and making bad movie choices...
What's wrong with a cry for help? Would you prefer he put a shotgun in his mouth? Who are you to judge him? We don't even have details.
Old 08-27-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sad news regardless... will definitely make that scene with Luke in 'The Royal Tenenbaums' which was WRITTEN by Owen a bit harder to watch
Old 08-27-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BJacks
What's wrong with a cry for help? Would you prefer he put a shotgun in his mouth?
Are you comparing Wilson to Hemingway?
Old 08-27-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BJACKS,
why would you have the details anyway? You think the details will be true? I can judge whoever I want - you think anyone feels bad for the "horrors" that Lohan, Paris Hilton, Tara Reid, and Nicole Ritchie have been through? It's okay for bad actors to try to kill themselves,b ut it's sad when good actors try to kill themselves? That's judging. There's a difference with blowing away your own head (depressing and pathetic) than someone else blowing away your head (sad tragedy). And furthermore, you can't use that "Who are you to judge him" comment, Bible Boy. I've seen your past posts. How do you know I'm not a policeman from Virginia? Eh? You think that's not judgemental saying that "I like to be sneeky and wait around all day for speedsters as my livelihood?" Hypocrate.

You honestly think that you will get that story "Wilson was fixing his roof, fell on a saw, cut his wrist, took a lot of pain killers to ease the pain as he was frantically calling for help?" Come on...he tried to do something stupid.

Last edited by toddly6666; 08-27-07 at 05:46 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.