Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hobbit

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
I would very much like to see The Hobbit. I think it would have a lot of appeal, simply for the dragon.

Bilbo did mention a one liner about the dragon during his birthday party.
I also hope it happens, it would be great to see the hobbit on the screen.
Old 09-12-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by masbrad
Just answring your firs tquestion here. In the book the Hobbit ends and the Fellowship begins 60 years later. However Bilbo leaves at his birthday and turns the ring over to Gandalf who leaves the ring with Frodo and goes out to research the origins of the ring. So the start of Frodos journey takes place 17 additional years later. so the time from Bilbos first journey in the Hobbit and Frodos first journey in Fellowship is roughly 77 years. In the movie you dont get the sense of that much time passing from when Bilbo leaves for Rivendell and Frodo sets out on his journey.
Yeah, Gandalf was gone for like 16 or 17 years in FOTR when he left Frodo at Bag End to go research the Ring in Minas Tirith. I didn't get the sense he was gone but 16 or 17 days or so in the movie. I really don't think it is going to matter much how much time the movies set up between the end of the Hobbit and the time Gandalf arrives in the Shire at the start of Fellowship. It isn't like they're going to re-edit FOTR and put a "70 Years Later..." subtitle on it.

Last edited by pinata242; 09-12-06 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-12-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by Borst
What would they call it if they made 2 movies The Hobbit part 1 and part 2? That would be stupid.
The Hobbit
The Hobbit Reloaded

Old 09-13-06, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The Hobbit
The Hobbit Reloaded

I would have figured there would be a The Hobbit 2: Wine Barrel Boogaloo comment by now.
Old 09-13-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hobbit Shots Part Deux
Old 09-13-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I don't know about the books, but in the context of the film, we see Bilbo when he finds the ring, which occurs in The Hobbit. Ian's look doesn't change between that scene and his birthday party, so obviously he hasn't "aged a day" since the events of The Hobbit.
The ring arrests his aging, so he is as old in Fellowship as he was in Hobbit. However, given the fact that they chose a younger Frodo for Fellowship, and to show the time differential, a younger Bilbo would make sense. It could go either way, but I suspect the studio (and possibly Jackson) will want a younger Bilbo in the role.
Old 09-13-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
It could go either way, but I suspect the studio (and possibly Jackson) will want a younger Bilbo in the role.
I don't know, it'd be pretty odd to have a different Bilbo but the same Gandalf and Elrond from LOTR. They may want to try and keep Ian Holm for continuity, since they're trying to tie this in with the LOTR films for obvious reasons.
Old 09-13-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I don't know, it'd be pretty odd to have a different Bilbo but the same Gandalf and Elrond from LOTR. They may want to try and keep Ian Holm for continuity, since they're trying to tie this in with the LOTR films for obvious reasons.
It didn't seem to hurt the Harry Potter franchise at all. By the way, I know that Ian Holm is far from dead, but I remember him not being too happy with having his face taped up.

Also, one thing I always wondered about. When Bilbo finds the ring in Gollum's gave, his hair looks brown to me. But when Gandalf sees him he says "you haven't aged a day." Just how long was Bilbo's trip supposed to be? Or am I reading too much into it?
Old 09-13-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
It didn't seem to hurt the Harry Potter franchise at all.
Harry Potter 3, the film in which Dumbledore was replaced, is the lowest grossing film in the franchise so far:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...arrypotter.htm

By the way, I know that Ian Holm is far from dead, but I remember him not being too happy with having his face taped up.
I mentioned that as well. I also mentioned a possible solution through them de-aging him digitally.

Also, one thing I always wondered about. When Bilbo finds the ring in Gollum's cave, his hair looks brown to me. But when Gandalf sees him he says "you haven't aged a day." Just how long was Bilbo's trip supposed to be? Or am I reading too much into it?
I think it's the lighting of the scene that's making his hair color look different.
Old 10-26-06, 02:49 AM
Banned

Two Hobbit films planned??

Two Hobbit Films Planned
MGM touts twice the LOTR prequel action.
by IGN Staff

October 25, 2006 - MGM and New Line Cinema are moving ever closer to making J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit a big-screen reality. And now it seems that the studios may be planning not one, but two films based on the 1937 fantasy novel.

MGM chief operating officer Rick Sands revealed the plans this past weekend during a trade show in Orlando, Florida, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The Hobbit follows Bilbo Baggins on an adventure with a band of dwarves and the wizard Gandalf as they attempt to reclaim the dwarves' stolen treasure and restore their kingdom

This is the second time in the past month that Sands has publicly commented on the project. A few weeks ago, he issued a statement in response to a fan petition urging MGM and New Line to pursue Lord of the Rings helmer Peter Jackson as the director of The Hobbit.

"Peter Jackson's phenomenal success with The Lord of the Rings trilogy makes him the first and most ideal choice for directing The Hobbit. MGM would be thrilled to collaborate with the Academy Award-winning director on this MGM New Line Cinema production," Sands said.

Keep your browser set to IGN for more Hobbit updates.
Old 10-26-06, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hobbit as 2 films is basically doubling their money. It could be one movie easily but who would skip over that cash? 2x Theatrical, 2x Dvd Sales.
Old 10-26-06, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Don't do it P. Jackson! Just look at what Mr. Lucas did to the Star Wars Saga, cause sometimes less is more.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is one of those movie series where everything clicked, and doesn't need anymore movies, just like SW-OT movies.

For all the LOTR fans who are clamoring for The Hobbit, on paper it always sound cool to think of more movies of your favorite series on the big screen, but I guarantee it will be a letdown in the end, cause the hype turned out to be the best thing of the PT movies.

But I do really respect P. Jackson, so I hope i am wrong.
Old 10-26-06, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here we go again. You can't compare The Hobbit to the PT of Star Wars. Here's one reason: as a story, The Hobbit existed before LOTR. It isn't a prequel. The narrative of The Hobbit stands on its own and isn't trying to be coherent and match up with something that has existed for 20 years and is deeply cherished by those going to see it.

Second, I don't think it is fair to compare Peter Jackson to George Lucas in this case. Not yet at least.

The Hobbit will work well.
Old 10-26-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
Here we go again. You can't compare The Hobbit to the PT of Star Wars. Here's one reason: as a story, The Hobbit existed before LOTR. It isn't a prequel. The narrative of The Hobbit stands on its own and isn't trying to be coherent and match up with something that has existed for 20 years and is deeply cherished by those going to see it.

Second, I don't think it is fair to compare Peter Jackson to George Lucas in this case. Not yet at least.

The Hobbit will work well.
Listen I am diehard SW fan, but I will readily admit that Jackson is a much better director then Lucas. But already they are making The Hobbit in two films now? The Hobbit can be made in one movie, but that tells me they are already thinking of the money, cause two of everything, DVD & Theater, etc is makes more money then one.

I agree that it doesn't have to jive with LOTR, and the Hobbit can be its own entity, but I just think that the expectations for these movies sometimes are just too hard to meet.

Just look at King Kong, Jackson strung it out to 3 hours, when the original was half that time. I think Jackson is falling into the same trap as Lucas cause they kind of forget what made the early successes great, and deviate too much because they get too out of touch.
Old 10-26-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli
Listen I am diehard SW fan, but I will readily admit that Jackson is a much better director then Lucas. But already they are making The Hobbit in two films now? The Hobbit can be made in one movie, but that tells me they are already thinking of the money, cause two of everything, DVD & Theater, etc is makes more money then one.

I agree that it doesn't have to jive with LOTR, and the Hobbit can be its own entity, but I just think that the expectations for these movies sometimes are just too hard to meet.

Just look at King Kong, Jackson strung it out to 3 hours, when the original was half that time. I think Jackson is falling into the same trap as Lucas cause they kind of forget what made the early successes great, and deviate too much because they get too out of touch.
I think you're assuming Jackson is the one making this decision entirely. Let's not forget there are 2 movie studios involved that have already seen what kind of money LOTR generated.
Old 10-26-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I remember reading that one plan for "The Hobbit" included expanding certain parts of the story to bring it in closer to the LOTR trilogy.

Some of the expansions would probably include things like bringing in Saruman and Galadriel for White Council scenes involving the "necromancer." And a bigger role for Elrond, and maybe even Arwen and a young Aragorn. It also wouldn't surprise me if they threw in some more history or flashbacks to the older ages if they're looking at two films.

I'd love to see Smaug of the bigscreen, yo.
Old 10-26-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The animated version was pretty good. I don't see why a live action version wouldn't be just as good.
Old 10-26-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
I think you're assuming Jackson is the one making this decision entirely. Let's not forget there are 2 movie studios involved that have already seen what kind of money LOTR generated.
It doesn't even sounds like he's making the decision at all. The article starts out talking about how they might be planning to split The Hobbit into two movies, and then goes on to say how great it would be if they could get Peter Jackson signed on.
Old 10-26-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
It doesn't even sounds like he's making the decision at all.
Apparently he hadn't even been asked when the new first broke.

http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/30085
"I was reading that this morning on the net. It's a rather strange thing to wake to. I'm up for it, but somebody should phone me because I'm getting a bit booked out at the moment!"
However, he does seem to like the idea of two films:
"We think the two film idea is really smart. One of the problems with The Hobbit is that it is a fairly simple kids story, and doesn't really feel like The Lord of the Rings. Tonally I mean. It's always may be a little worried, but with two films that kinda gets easier. It allows for more complexity. At that implied stuff with Gandalf and the White Council and the return of Sauron could be fully explored."
Old 10-26-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
If he's up for it, whoever's in charge of assigning this would be an idiot to not give it to him.
Old 10-26-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I don't think it is fair to compare Peter Jackson to George Lucas in this case.
You're right... Lucas created his stories.
Old 10-26-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Are you trying to argue that the LOTR films aren't good because they aren't original? I'd rather see 100 more adaptations like the LOTR films than one more "original" film like The Phantom Menace.
Old 10-26-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho
For better or worse...
Old 10-26-06, 12:32 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love to see it happen as two movies, with more plot put in to better tie it to the LOTR trilogy.

Specifically, I'd like to see them stick to the basic story, but add in whatever they can to make it match the tone, and just fit better in general, with the movie trilogy.
Old 10-26-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Maybe they can throw in flashbacks depicting passages from Similarion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.