Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rush Hour 3 — the reviews thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rush Hour 3 — the reviews thread

Old 08-10-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
$25,000,000 + 20% back end gross would pretty much get me out from under any rock and working again.

Yeah, I'd heard he got $20 million for the 2nd one. Not sure if it's true, but damned if I wouldn't be enjoying life and only making a movie every few years at that pace.
Old 08-10-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Yeah, I'd heard he got $20 million for the 2nd one. Not sure if it's true, but damned if I wouldn't be enjoying life and only making a movie every few years at that pace.
Yeah I hear he was making $20m and Chan around $15m.

Hence why Tucker hasn't made jack in 6 years.
Old 08-10-07, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does Johnny Drama (Kevin Dillon) make a cameo as a bus driver that was played out in an episode of Entourage?
Old 08-10-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm. I thought the Rush Hours were OK buddy movies, but rubbish Chan movies. Really just Chris Tucker movies that Jackie was in
Old 08-10-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kevin Dillon does not have a cameo I thought this was alright, has it's moments but is the weakest of the three - the plot is paper thin and it seems the same scenes play out multiple times and the casting of Max Von Sydow is extremely uninspired. A few funny bits, but none of them are as funny as part Rush Hour flicks and the action isn't as dynamite as the past flicks either. A decent matinee but when Bourne is playing now and Superbad opens next week - if you want really good action or comedy, wait for those... if you like the series though, this will entertain enough.
Old 08-10-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
I saw this today and had a good time. If you like the 1st 2 movies, then you'll definitely enjoy this one.

I have to agree that the plot and villains are probably the weakest of the 3 movies, but Chan and Tucker's charisma and chemistry kept the movie fun. I don't watch these types of movies to nit pick on plot/dialgue etc. The movie entertained me and that's all that mattered. I still can't believe that Tucker is getting over $25M to star in this movie. New Line is seriously kissing his ass.

If the movie does well, which I'm pretty sure it will, I think New Line will definitely want at least one more movie. Hopefully Tucker won't take another 6 year sabbatical this time around and Jackie won't be in a wheel chair by then.

Overall I give it B-
Old 08-10-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
I'm not sure if this deserves a spoiler but:

Spoiler:
The scene with Carter and Lee in George's cab singing "Lady Marmalade" was not in the movie

Also, unless you were really paying attention in the 1st movie:

Spoiler:
Soo Yung's bodyguard played by George Kee Cheung, who was killed in the 1st movie, was brought back as one of the villains in the Eiffel Tower
Old 08-10-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yikes. What a disappointment. The Rush Hour movies were always thin on plot but you can at least enjoy yourself because there's some great action and good comedy. This movie has action and comedy, but it's not near the level of the other two. There's a few really delightful moments but overall I have to blame Brett Ratner for doing such a terrible job. This ranks up there with the Pink Panther remake.
Old 08-11-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
As someone who really enjoyed part 2 (much more than the first one), I thought this 3rd part was a clunker. Some funny bits here and there, but the formula is showing its age and Brett Ratner doesn't have enough style to elevate the crappy script.

I think I saw somewhere that Jack Black and Mos Def are going to be taking over the lead roles for the next RUSH HOUR (or maybe that was just a rumor), so that might inject some life back into the series.
Old 08-11-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're thinking of the Jack Black/Mos Def movie "Be Kind, Rewind", in which Rush Hour is one movie that they re-create.
Old 08-11-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
You're thinking of the Jack Black/Mos Def movie "Be Kind, Rewind", in which Rush Hour is one movie that they re-create.
Hey, you're right!

Well, if they do a fourth movie with Jackie and Chris Tucker, they should bring in Tony Jaa as a third cop who teams up with them and cast Jean Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal as the villains.
Old 08-11-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the writing in this triquel was hit-or-miss when it came to much of the comedic reaction lines by Chris Tucker, which surprised me, and his character comes off just a little too opportunistic in some scenes. But the chemistry between Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker is still evident, even though the plot was thin, almost too thin to bring them back together in an organic fashion.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 08-12-07, 05:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I really enjoyed the movie and was very entertained. Well worth $6.25 ticket price.
Old 08-13-07, 10:25 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw this on Friday and was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it was because my expectations were so low going in, but I enjoyed it. Granted, it was nothing groundbreaking, but has this franchise ever been groundbreaking? If anything this film stays the course... it's more of the same, for better or worse, depending on your point of view. Unlike something like Shrek the Third where there was a clear drop in quality for the third installment.
Old 08-13-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Yeah, this is a so-so movie. Okay, but clearly the worst of the three.

My main thought leaving the film was it has been years since the last one, and THIS is all the better storyline they could come up with? The story here seems like something that was thrown together quickly rather than everyone "waiting around for the right script".
Old 08-13-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Liked the first, loved the second, was mildly amused by the third.
Old 08-14-07, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a piece of shit movie. This coming from someone who owns the other two. It felt like the threw this shit together in a weekend.
Old 08-15-07, 04:26 PM

I hate to say it...

..but i was not impressed by this. Disappointing would be the single word I would use to describe it.

I am a huge JC fan, and enjoyed the first two movies.

Not so much here. It had all the elements of the first two movies, but for me, none of the magic. To me, it just seemed as though everything was forced. CT's role was almost him playing an exaggerated version of himself in the first two flicks (which, IMHO, was starting to be annoying).

I couldn't get into the characters, plot, or script for some reason. Everything just seemed incredibly predictable and formulaic (like who the main bad guy was).

In fairness, there were a couple of scenes that had me laughing out loud, but a couple was not enough.

Sadly, I would recommend this as a rental.
Old 02-14-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Holy shit! Have you seen what this movie has earned so far via DVD rentals? 64.5M. Eight weeks out, and at #7 on the charts. I follow DVD rentals weekly and I've never seen a move earn that much and still be in the top 10.