Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm looking forward to WAR !

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I'm looking forward to WAR !

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darn...I was looking forward to watching it too. From the reviews it seems like an Ecks vs Sever wannabe.
Old 08-26-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from this. Man what a horirble movie. Kiss of the dragon was better. Really boring and stupid and like no fighting in the movie. I almost walked out.
Old 08-26-07, 03:25 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
the final 'twists' are so stupid that it's a good thing we don't give a shit by that point anyway...
Yeah, I that was about the most ridiculous twist in recent memory.
Spoiler:
They make a point of Statham's character id'ing Li's eyes, but he conveniently can't remember if they are his enemiy's or his partner's? I honestly think the second twist seemed like an afterthought (that Statham was the one who sold his friend out) because they realized they needed a reason to have a fight scene (which sucked anyway) and it wouldn't make sense unless *someone* was the bad guy.
The only decent scene was Jet Li laying waste to the club early in the story.
Old 08-26-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just bad.

Could've been fun, but no chemistry and lame cliched action conventions.
Old 08-26-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This movie was horrible. LIke previous posters said, it was an ACTION movie with minimal action. I don't go to a Jet Li VS Jason Statham movie and want to see them act for two hours, I want them to fight.

It was sauteed in wrong sauce, and I kinda want my money back.
Old 08-26-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
I didn't think it was that bad, it could have had more action, but the ending kind of made me think
Old 08-26-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Bad...bad....did I mention bad? Cause this movie was not good. Jet Li, Jason Statham, yakuza, and the Triad, it literally almost writes itself.....yet somehow it took a couple of writers to fuck it up.

Badly photographed action, uninteresting story, and no chemistry or sense of excitement coming from any of the actors.

Ecks vs. Sever....shit, at least that had a couple of decent action scenes.
Old 08-26-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Me and friend just saw it, and both enjoyed it. Of course I could watch these 2 in anything so....
Old 09-01-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got back from this. Agreed that the dialogue is pretty lame, disagreed about the action; plenty of shooting and ass kicking.
Old 09-15-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I finally got around to seeing this today and I really enjoyed. I highly disagree with some of the previous comments about lack of action. There was lots of it! Lots of gun play and swords fights. I actually loved the final twist at the end about Li's character....However, the only thing I didn't like was the ending...It was so abrupt without any sort of resolution.

As for the acting......C'mon....I don't walk into a Jet Li action movie expecting acting in the realm of a John Huston movie or Martin Scorsesee....Some of you need to lighten up.

A solid B+.....For the DVD I would love to hear commentary from Li and Statham together.
Old 09-16-07, 02:24 AM

Y'know, when people say things like "the ending sucks because...blah blah blah", do you realize you're pretty much spoiling the movie, even though you don't describe specific scenes in detail? As someone who hasn't seen the flick yet, I hate to read even anything regarding lack of resolution, plot twists, or anything of that nature. Please be more vague in your comments.
Old 09-16-07, 02:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. I don't understand the complaints about a lack of action. Sure, it wasn't constant action, perhaps a bit too many attempts of "acting" from Li and Statham, but it had plenty of good action sequences. I saw it for free, no plans to ever watch it again, even if I "have" to buy it again.

But it would make a decent rental for anyone wanting a mindless action flick. C-/D+
Old 09-16-07, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw this last night - better than what I would expect, but there is nothing special about it. I hated the accent people uses in the movie (mostly that Devon Aoki and Jet Li, I even chuckled when Li speaks in English at one scene), but well... what do you expect.
Old 09-16-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

overall i thought it was pretty decent. i can see why people are complaining about lack of action, but it didn't really bother me.
Old 09-27-07, 05:51 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
finally saw it, yes there could have been more hand to hand action but it kept me interested. Good twist at the end, no it wasn't groundbreaking but was cool