Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: James Cameron's Avatar - news, rumors, castings..

Looks promising.
Old 06-07-09, 02:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Can't wait
Old 06-15-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Fox to Show Extended 3D Scenes of AVATAR at San Diego Comic-Con

While it’s been rumored for some time, a trusted source tells us that Fox will be showing extended 3D scenes from James Cameron’s upcoming film, “Avatar” at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con. We don’t know how much we’ll be seeing but I sure like that word “extended” (there are so many commercials that use it when talking about making a man “larger”, whatever that means). We don’t know where they’re showing this footage and if it will be for the public or just press. It’s possible they could show it in Hall H, but the difficulty there is projection. 3D projectors ain’t cheap and it’s not like Hall H just has one really big screen. It’s a big stage with lots of flat panel monitors hung from the ceiling and scaffolding that falls on your editor-in-chief. So what then? Do they get one of the larger conference rooms and try to just keep cycling people through to watch footage and then return their glasses for other people to use (eeeewwwww)? Or do they rent a local theatre and use that to show footage?

Either way, “Avatar” isn’t going to be the only film that needs to find a way to show off 3D footage. As the technology becomes more prevalent, other studios are going to need a way to show off their 3D footage to the unwashed masses of convention-goers. There’s already word that we’ll be seeing a brand new trailer for “TRON” and keep in mind that Steve lost his already fragile mind when he saw the 3D test footage for the film at “ShoWest”. Throw in films like “Toy Story 3″, “Alice in Wonderland”, or really any upcoming film either from Disney or DreamWorks Animation in addition to anyone else that has a 3D movie and it’s not unrealistic to think that 3D is going to have a presence at Comic-Con and “Avatar”, more than any other 3D movie, wants to make that presence known.
Old 06-16-09, 02:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh crap! Well that just justified the money I spent on those Comic-Con tickets!
Old 06-16-09, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please give us details about this when you go. You'll be our man in the frontlines.
Old 07-05-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What company is doing the CG? I know it's not ILM..............
Old 07-05-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weta
Old 07-05-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Comic-Con banner
Old 07-05-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

How is this movie supposed to be "epic"? I know that it has taken him a good chunk of his life to make it a reality but I'm really not sure how the special effects (or even the story) are going to be that evolutionary from what we already have. Sometimes the reliance on special effects can bring a movie down and I wonder if after 2 hours or so of non-stop special effects people will tire of it.
Old 07-05-09, 11:20 PM

Because it's a Sci-fi James Cameron movie. That alone makes expectations as high as they can possibly be.
Old 07-05-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
How is this movie supposed to be "epic"? I know that it has taken him a good chunk of his life to make it a reality but I'm really not sure how the special effects (or even the story) are going to be that evolutionary from what we already have. Sometimes the reliance on special effects can bring a movie down and I wonder if after 2 hours or so of non-stop special effects people will tire of it.
Look at it this way. If people will run out in droves to see a crap movie about giant robots fighting for almost 3 hours, just think what a movie by a talented director with a good story and real actors in an albeit CGI world will do!
Old 07-06-09, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by valkyrie
Look at it this way. If people will run out in droves to see a crap movie about giant robots fighting for almost 3 hours, just think what a movie by a talented director with a good story and real actors in an albeit CGI world will do!
Do we know that the story is actually any good? And just how is it that these special effects are groundbreaking? I'm not knocking the movie at all and Cameron is a really good director, but damn if I can't get too excited about something that I haven't seen one snippet of. Also, the fact that it has a good story and incredible effects doesn't guarantee that it will do better than Transformers. Sad but true.
Old 07-06-09, 01:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We're not saying it will do better at the box office (although it could), but it's almost certainly bound to be better than Transformers 2.
Old 07-06-09, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope that it is an awesome and original movie but not knowing anything at all about it keeps me from getting too hyped. I am just curious as to how these special effects are supposed to blow away what we already see these days.
Old 07-06-09, 02:36 AM
Banned

Well we don't have cameras that shoot in 3D yet...but..Cameron does. So there's one thing that will change our view of the special FX. The premise of Avatar intrigues me cuz..well...I could see it going wrong. BUT...it's Cameron. I hope to god it lives up to whatever it has to live up to.
Old 07-06-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the fact that it's an effects heavy film, with a huge budget and is shot ENTIRELY IN 3D is what makes it a big deal - this ain't Spy Kids or My Bloody Valentine.
Old 07-06-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Weta
I checked there website out, I was surprised that i've never heard of them. They look up there with ILM.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Well we don't have cameras that shoot in 3D yet...but..Cameron does. So there's one thing that will change our view of the special FX. The premise of Avatar intrigues me cuz..well...I could see it going wrong. BUT...it's Cameron. I hope to god it lives up to whatever it has to live up to.
Yeah but the 3D cameras don't impress me to much. Mostly because I hate 3D and also because it's only 1080p. But I will see Avatar in 3D because it would be stupid not to, and I can't wait for the first trailer because I want to see how good these "ground breaking" really are.
Old 07-06-09, 10:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I checked there website out, I was surprised that i've never heard of them.
They worked on a small trilogy of films that got very little publicity. "Lord of the Rings" or somesuch.
Old 07-06-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
They worked on a small trilogy of films that got very little publicity. "Lord of the Rings" or somesuch.
Yeah, i've heard of them. Was that a straight to DVD type of thing or?
Old 07-06-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Hey now, I remember being told the the Matrix sequels would contain visual effects, the likes of which we've never seen, and we all know how that turned ou...wait, forget what I just said.

I agree with you that it's hard to get excited for a movie that's been in production forEVER, that we have yet to see so much as a single clip from, and that we're all being told is that it's revolutionary. Yeah, sorry, I've heard that before.

I have all the faith in the world in Cameron so I'm still really looking forward to this because it's a James Cameron film, all the "you've never seen anything like it" CGI stuff is just icing on the cake (if it turns out to actually be great).

Cameron hasn't let me down yet and I'm not expecting this movie to either. If it were any other director I wouldn't give this movie a second thought.
Old 07-23-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by James Cameron
We’re going to do something unprecedented. It’s a social marketing experiment. We’re going to take over as many IMAX 3D theaters and other select 3D theaters worldwide on August 21 and we’re going to let an international global audience come see 15 minutes of Avatar for free. It’s going to be Avatar day.
Old 07-23-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

It looks fantastic and amazing! Weta has outdone everything they've previously worked on. I'm not sure how well it will be received.
Old 07-23-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great marketing move for a relatively unknown film. Seems like they are about to start firing the marketing cannons. Hopefully
Old 07-23-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
It looks fantastic and amazing! Weta has outdone everything they've previously worked on. I'm not sure how well it will be received.
I thought the same thing. Looks great but some people already dislike all this 3D stuff. I can't wait to see the full movie.
Old 07-23-09, 11:18 PM
Banned

WTF.....I'm going to see this shit...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.