Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Bay Wants to remake "Friday the 13th" (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Michael Bay Wants to remake "Friday the 13th" (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, the release date is Friday the 13th, February 2009.
Old 11-16-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah, the perfect date movie for Valentine's Day.
Old 11-17-07, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I look forward to a scene where Mrs. Voorhees walks away from an explosion towards the camera in slow motion.

OMG I dont know why but this post has me in TEARS! : : : : : : : :
Old 11-18-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The sad thing is that if Bay were actually directing instead of producing that shot would be in the movie.
Old 11-19-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
So, it has been revealed that they'll show how Jason is able to jump around Crystal Lake unnoticed so much. He has
Spoiler:
a series of underground tunnels that he uses that allow him to wander around unnoticed

Also, this movie does consider him to be
Spoiler:
human, not an undead killer.
Oh boy! This remake is starting to sound like the #1 Comedy of 2009.

Now I do wish Bay was directing instead of producing. If that scene did actually happen and make it into the movie, it would be stuff of legend on the DVD Talk forums.
Old 11-19-07, 04:17 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
And as for the second spoiler: WHY? I guess the screenwriters didn't learn from the mistakes Zombie's Halloween made. Fans don't want you fucking with origins. There is a strict set of rules most every F13th has followed, and these developments are already fucking that up.
Well, in the first four movies (five, if you want to be technical) he was pretty much a living, mortal person. Granted he had an extremely unlikely tolerance for injuries but it was never suggested he was actually undead or that there was any supernatural element to the series until part 6. They retroactively tried to come up with a supernatural origin explanation in Jason Goes to Hell, but I always hated it.

But yeah, I hate the tunnel idea. Next thing you know they'll have him running or driving a car.
Old 11-19-07, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by joliom
In that old cabin in the woods that they find at the end of Part 2.

The real question is, why wasn't he living with his mother? Did she think he was dead? If so, why wouldn't he make contact with her? Afterall, he would have still been a child when he first survived the drowning, so wouldn't it be natural for him to go back to his mother? He just emerged on the bank of the lake and decided to wander off into the woods and live as a 10-year-old hermit? And if she knew he was still alive and was hiding him in that old cabin in the woods, what does she have to be so pissed off at the counselors for? "You assholes nearly got my retarded son killed - I'm gonna wait 10 years and take revenge on a bunch of unrelated teenage camp counselors!"
The mom killed the two who weren't watching him (at the start of 1), as for the people 10 years later, she didn't want the camp re-opened, and was just nuts. She thought Jason was dead. In a novelization that does a great job of filling in all the gaps, Jason suffers some damage from his near-drowning, and lives for years in the woods like an animal. He is by the lake and sees his mother for the first time in years as she is killed in the first film.
Old 11-19-07, 08:37 PM

Also, something similar to that tunnel idea was used in Hell Night, wasn't it?
Old 11-19-07, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
But yeah, I hate the tunnel idea. Next thing you know they'll have him running or driving a car.
He used to run sometimes in the early Fridays.

Originally Posted by ChristopherS
And just recently in Vacancy.
Old 11-19-07, 08:51 PM

The mom killed the two who weren't watching him (at the start of 1), as for the people 10 years later, she didn't want the camp re-opened, and was just nuts. She thought Jason was dead. In a novelization that does a great job of filling in all the gaps, Jason suffers some damage from his near-drowning, and lives for years in the woods like an animal. He is by the lake and sees his mother for the first time in years as she is killed in the first film.
If that's the case then I guess the biggest plot hole for me becomes why, at ten years old, does he survive a drowning and migrate out into the woods? If he's lived his whole life with his mother, why would he suddenly go off on his own? Amnesia?
Old 11-20-07, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
also in 'mountaintop motel massacre'
Old 11-20-07, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If that's the case then I guess the biggest plot hole for me becomes why, at ten years old, does he survive a drowning and migrate out into the woods? If he's lived his whole life with his mother, why would he suddenly go off on his own? Amnesia?
This series ain't for you if you're looking for logic.

Part 7 has Jason battling a telekinetic teenager who resurrects her dead father from a lake to destroy Jason and save the day!
Old 11-20-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Part 7 has Jason battling a telekinetic teenager who resurrects her dead father from a lake to destroy Jason and save the day!
Oh, and here I thought part 7 had brilliant social commentary.
Old 11-20-07, 01:35 PM

Don't take my musings on the plot too seriously...I was just having some fun trying to connect all the dots.
Old 11-20-07, 05:11 PM

The novelizations by Simon Hawke do a great job of filling in all the blanks but the books are hard to find and I haven't read them in years and don't remember the explaination for why Jason wouldn't just return to his mother at the camp. My guess would be he emerged on the other side of the lake, lost and confused on top of already being retarded and suffering some more brain damage from the near-drowning, and it doesn't seem too far fetched to me that he'd just wander stupidly into the woods and fend for himself, maybe waiting for his mother to find him.
I like that the first bunch of F13 movies resisted in giving away much information.
Old 11-28-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently theres a bit of new info that says this will NOT be a remake. As with everything from the net, take this info with a grain of salt.

From Shocktillyoudrop.com

After speaking to a source close to the project who wishes to stay outside of the spotlight (for now), we're striking the former term out of future reports on the film.
"It's not a remake," says our insider. Don't even expect an origin tale - as some production listings around Hollywood are pegging it as. Imagine if there was a story to be told somewhere between parts two and four, just add water (from Camp Crystal Lake, duh), insert a leaner, meaner, faster Jason Voorhees, set to "blend" and you've got the recipe for what Dunes, writers Damian Shannon and Mark Swift and director Marcus Nispel got cookin'.
Old 11-28-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,109 Posts
Hollywood's afraid of the word "remake" they prefer "reimagining".

I'd prefer that they DID stay away from an origin story. We already know everything we need to about Jason.
Old 07-28-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Footage from comic com watch it before youtube yanks it

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/13095
Old 07-28-08, 10:02 AM

This doesnt look half bad. But it's wait and see with me. Sort of like the best of Friday the 13th part 1-4.
Old 07-28-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks badass.
Old 07-28-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That footage gets me fucking pumped. I know that Nispel's TCM remake looked great at first, but it's got little to no replay value anymore. THIS looks killer. That final shot of Jason running full force at that chick on the ground gives me a soft boner. I've been a HUGE fan of F13th for over 15 years, so if anyone should be over this remake it would be me. But I think that the series could use a reboot of sorts. Things got pretty out there with Jaosn X, even though it was a lot of fun, so I look forward to seeing ol' feral sackhead Jason getting back in action. So, for now, F13th 2009 can't come any sooner for me.
Old 08-21-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Official pic from the upcoming film, from Bloody-Disgusting:

And the poster:

Last edited by NoirFan; 08-21-08 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-21-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Platinum Dunes remake doesn't look bad?

I'll be damned, it really doesn't!

See, Texas Chainsaw is classic and set a bar high for a remake, and The Hitcher is such an awesome little film that both were all too easy to drop the ball on. With Friday the 13th, what you see is what you get: dumb fun, nothing more. Tits, blood, gore, Jason, drugs and alcohol, that's all you need for a movie like that. I'll definitely see this one.

If only they could stop Near Dark from remake-land.
Old 09-21-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Bloody-Disgusting:
We confirmed today that you'lll finally be able to see the trailer for Platinum Dunes, Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros.' Friday the 13th remake on October 24th with prints of Lionsgate's SAW V.
Old 09-21-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The novelizations by Simon Hawke do a great job of filling in all the blanks but the books are hard to find and I haven't read them in years and don't remember the explaination for why Jason wouldn't just return to his mother at the camp. My guess would be he emerged on the other side of the lake, lost and confused on top of already being retarded and suffering some more brain damage from the near-drowning, and it doesn't seem too far fetched to me that he'd just wander stupidly into the woods and fend for himself, maybe waiting for his mother to find him.
I like that the first bunch of F13 movies resisted in giving away much information.
So how did he get the super strength??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.