Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Bay Wants to remake "Friday the 13th" (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Michael Bay Wants to remake "Friday the 13th" (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should take a risk and actually kill Jason off, and by that I mean don't do a sequel.
They did that, it was called Part 4: The Final Chapter. But then there was a problem... Part 4 made so much money that they had to make a sequel. Then they sent Jason to Hell...and he STILL came back! If that doesn't say "I can't die!", i'm not sure what does.

No matter what they do, they'll never kill Jason off completely. And if they do, he still won't stay dead.

The only way to make sure Jason stays dead is to have an unprofitable movie, but even with Jason X, the lowest grossing film in the series, they didn't stop. They made FvsJ, and now a remake. Jason will always be around in some way, shape or form. He's not going anywhere. He's just not hitting the screens in the yearly way that he did in the 80's.
Old 10-04-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
Jason will always be around in some way, shape or form. He's not going anywhere. He's just not hitting the screens in the yearly way that he did in the 80's.
Mr. Voorhees has worked his way up to an A-List star; why do you think he was wearing that steel mask in Jason X, he was sick of wearing some sh*tty old hockey mask from the 70’s, even ugly, murderous serial killers need some bling.

Now…

Where's my 'Caffè e latte' Bitch!
Old 11-14-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
Nispel scores a date with next 'Friday'
By Borys Kit

Nov 14, 2007

Marcus Nispel is in final negotiations to direct the revamp of "Friday the 13th" for New Line and Paramount/MTV. Platinum Dunes is producing.

Damian Shannon and Mark Swift wrote the script for the redo, which aims to bring back horror icon Jason, the unstoppable hockey mask-wearing killer.

While Jason made only a brief appearance in the final frames of the first movie in 1980 and didn't even don his famous mask until the third movie, the new movie will focus on Jason -- who will wear the mask and kill -- and keep the famous setting of Crystal Lake.

Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller of Platinum Dunes are producing.

A winter start date is being planned.

"Friday" reunites Nispel with Platinum Dunes, for whom he directed 2003's remake of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." The director, who began his career in music videos, also helmed "Pathfinder" and USA's telefilm "Frankenstein."

He is repped by CAA and attorney David Weber.
Old 11-14-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm all for Jason being the killer, but Mrs. Voorhees is a large reason why Jason is the way he is. If it was me, I'd basically condense part 1 into a long precredit sequence (but Mrs. Voorhees would only be jailed not killed) and Jason would do the killings for the rest of the film. She'd ultimately be orchestrating the massacre (after release from jail), and Jason would have to kill her. I'd start with sackhead Jason, too.

Don't know how I feel about Marcus Nispel directing.
Old 11-14-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friday the 13th is no classic picture, so I have no problem with it being remade. But yeah, original movies are far and few between.
Old 11-14-07, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Friday the 13th is no classic picture, so I have no problem with it being remade. But yeah, original movies are far and few between.
Is the original Friday the 13th a critical darling, a brilliant film or a masterpiece? No, no its not. But is it a classic? Yes, yes it is.

Remember, classic doesn’t always equal good.
Old 11-14-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by CreatureX
I agree with your thoughts KC!

As for modern day horror classics, I would put down 'The Descent', '28 Days Later' and 'High Tension' on my list!
Those are exactly the ones I'd pick out too, along with some of the better Japanese horror flicks of recent years like Audition, Ringu and Ju-on (even though they've been copycat-ed to death and become so oversaturated that I probably won't be able to stand watching them again for another 10 years). Wrong Turn wasn't bad either, even though it's a highly derivative genre pic. And Cabin Fever was a great quirky horror film that I think will hold-up well as time goes on. And of course, there's the Saw and Hostel franchises which seem to have taken on a life of their own (although I don't personally think of them as modern classics).
Old 11-14-07, 03:12 PM

Btw, I recently broke away from the continuing Friday series (and my obsessive need to be a completist) and purged all the non-Paramount Fridays from my collection. The official series is now Pts. 1-8 as far as I'm concerned. Everything thereafter just doesn't have the same feel and starts to get overly adventurous and hyper-stylized. I may even take it a step further and cut back to just the first four, which were the only really great ones, imho. I did the same thing with my Halloweens too, capping them at the first 5.

Last edited by joliom; 11-14-07 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 03:14 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
My question is, where the hell was Jason hiding all those years between him drowning and Part 2?
Old 11-14-07, 03:24 PM

In that old cabin in the woods that they find at the end of Part 2.

The real question is, why wasn't he living with his mother? Did she think he was dead? If so, why wouldn't he make contact with her? Afterall, he would have still been a child when he first survived the drowning, so wouldn't it be natural for him to go back to his mother? He just emerged on the bank of the lake and decided to wander off into the woods and live as a 10-year-old hermit? And if she knew he was still alive and was hiding him in that old cabin in the woods, what does she have to be so pissed off at the counselors for? "You assholes nearly got my retarded son killed - I'm gonna wait 10 years and take revenge on a bunch of unrelated teenage camp counselors!"

Last edited by joliom; 11-14-07 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 03:28 PM

Maybe he knew he was a burden to his mom, and decided to let her live a better life without him, but once he found his mother dead, he snapped. That's all I can come up with.
Old 11-14-07, 04:00 PM

I guess the second one is the most logical. When Jason nearly drowned because of the counselors' negligence, Mrs. Voorhees realized he wasn't safe around people and decided to hide him off in woods "to protect him." Then as the years progressed her psychosis deepened. Eventually she transferred all of her delusions and paranoia onto a new crop of horny teenage counselors, coming to view them as the personification of all her fears and rage at the world at large and decided to destroy them all. After she was killed, Jason found her corpse and was likely irrevocably traumatized. Since his mother was his whole world and the only other human interactions he had had were likely defined by abuse and ridicule, he finally snapped too and commenced his own murderous rampage. Only he lacks any of his Mother's well-honed social skills or intelligence, and suffers from stark physical deformities, so he can never blend in and pretend to be a normal functioning member of society. This limits his effective target range to people he happens to come across in his immediate vacinity, and forces him into a stalk and ambush type of predation. As time goes on and he is more successful in his killing, he begins taking less precautions and hunts with far less apprehension of capture or counter-attack by his intended victims. So he gets bolder and less restrained, killing at will and upping the body count exponentially.
Old 11-15-07, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by joliom
The real question is, why wasn't he living with his mother? Did she think he was dead? If so, why wouldn't he make contact with her? Afterall, he would have still been a child when he first survived the drowning, so wouldn't it be natural for him to go back to his mother? He just emerged on the bank of the lake and decided to wander off into the woods and live as a 10-year-old hermit? And if she knew he was still alive and was hiding him in that old cabin in the woods, what does she have to be so pissed off at the counselors for? "You assholes nearly got my retarded son killed - I'm gonna wait 10 years and take revenge on a bunch of unrelated teenage camp counselors!"

Maybe Jason was the smart one in the family. Anyway this is a bad idea, I mean look how Halloween turned out.
Old 11-15-07, 03:12 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My hopes for this remake (since it's going to happen anyway):

1. I hope they don't go overboard in trying to tell Jason's backstory. Extensive origin stories for horror villains are never exciting (Hannibal Rising, Rob Zombie's Halloween, TCM: The Beginning).

2. I hope they don't make Jason into some torture-horror type killer, where he's got them tied up and is doing weird sadistic things to them. Jason's like a hunter, he goes for the quick kill (and later displays his prey like a trophy).

3. I hope they go back to Jason's roots and just have him be an unstoppable psycho, and not some supernatural being or parasite or demon or whatever else.

4. I hope they retain the isolated woods/summer camp feel of the early films. As well as the famous musical cue...
Old 11-15-07, 03:23 PM
Suspended

Michael Bay is a cancer to film.

E
Old 11-15-07, 03:52 PM

Bay can produce and Uwe Boll can direct. That should insure a truly awesome cinematic experience for horror fans.
Old 11-15-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep Uwe Boll far away from Jason Voorhees!
Old 11-15-07, 08:44 PM

Whatever happened to all the Michael Bay defenders around here? Did Transformers finally make them see the error of their ways, or were they all just banned forever from DVDTalk? It used to be that you couldn't sweat the guy without someone, of shall we say, questionable intelligence, chiming in with a vociferous defense of his work. Usually it involved bragging about how he made Armaggedon and Bad Boys as if that was supposed to be vindicating or something. Now you say Michael Bay is a pus-filled boil on the ass of American cinema, and everyone just nods silently in agreement. I guess we finally turned a corner somewhere...

Last edited by joliom; 11-15-07 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there better be a lot of hot girls with big tits getting naked and slashed in this thing.
Old 11-15-07, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by joliom
Whatever happened to all the Michael Bay defenders around here? Did Transformers finally make them see the error of their ways, or were they all just banned forever from DVDTalk? It used to be that you couldn't sweat the guy without someone, of shall we say, questionable intelligence, chiming in with a vociferous defense of his work. Usually it involved bragging about how he made Armaggedon and Bad Boys as if that was supposed to be vindicating or something. Now you say Michael Bay is a pus-filled boil on the ass of American cinema, and everyone just nods silently in agreement. I guess we finally turned a corner somewhere...
I quite enjoyed his last couple of films, The Island and Transformers. They were way better than Bad Boys or Armageddon.
Old 11-16-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoy Bays movies. When I watch one of his films, I dont expect cinematic history to be made; theyre popcorn flicks, and thats all that I expect. Now even with that said, Bay + Friday the 13th = Fail
Old 11-16-07, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by CWhippy03
I enjoy Bays movies. When I watch one of his films, I dont expect cinematic history to be made; theyre popcorn flicks, and thats all that I expect. Now even with that said, Bay + Friday the 13th = Fail
That’s pretty much my feelings and opinions on Bay’s flicks as well.

So far in the Horror genre he’s literally tied in the good to sh*t ratio. The 2003 remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre wasn’t nearly as good as the original, but it was a cut above most sh*tty Hollywood Horror remakes. The 2005 remake of The Amityville Horror wasn’t poetry, but again, wasn’t an unwatchable piece of sh*t, and it kept me entertained.

The Hitcher on the other hand was truly a giant waste of film. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning wasn’t nearly as bad as The Hitcher, and in general it was more bland than bad, but it has so much potential to really show the back story of leatherface. it ended up being another bland “Kill the Teenagers” horror flick.

I think M. Bay + Friday the 13th = sh*t as well.
Old 11-16-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, it has been revealed that they'll show how Jason is able to jump around Crystal Lake unnoticed so much. He has
Spoiler:
a series of underground tunnels that he uses that allow him to wander around unnoticed

Also, this movie does consider him to be
Spoiler:
human, not an undead killer.
Old 11-16-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^ Is that a fucking joke? I know the guy is good with tools, but he ain't a fucking ditch digger. And as for the second spoiler: WHY? I guess the screenwriters didn't learn from the mistakes Zombie's Halloween made. Fans don't want you fucking with origins. There is a strict set of rules most every F13th has followed, and these developments are already fucking that up.
Old 11-16-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No joke. Serious. The story was here:

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=12575

What bothers me is that a series of tunnels under the forest just sounds...stupid.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.