Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Beowulf (11/16/2007)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Beowulf (11/16/2007)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My most anticipated movie of the year. Zemeckis never lets down.
Old 10-16-07, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone think this movie will make any money? I think it will be lucky to get $30 million. IF that Final Fantasy movie didnt make money I dont know how this will.
Old 10-16-07, 10:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so how does the extra 3D fee actually work, does that amount go to the theatre or to the film box office intake, I would assume to the theatre to defray the cost of the REAL-D system - right?
Old 10-16-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Does anyone think this movie will make any money? I think it will be lucky to get $30 million. IF that Final Fantasy movie didnt make money I dont know how this will.
Yes, it should make quite a bit of money. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes $30 million opening weekend alone.
Old 10-17-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know, this movie has bomb written all over it. For anyone interested in Beowulf, I would suggest picking up the Seamus Heaney translation, which is excellent

http://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-New-Ve...2652742&sr=8-1
Old 10-17-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Does anyone think this movie will make any money?
Depending on just how good the movie is, I'd expect 75mill or so... a decent take but still not enough to cover costs.
Old 10-21-07, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
My most anticipated movie of the year. Zemeckis never lets down.
I'm with you. Forget all the people talking about box office bomb...this wont be it. If it's anything like what it seems to look similar too its going to be amazing.
Old 11-06-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone seeing this in 3D on thursday night?
Old 11-06-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't this coming out next week, Lara? Or do you know something I don't?

I'll be there day one, but I doubt I'll do the midnight thing.
Old 11-06-07, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lara Means
Anyone seeing this in 3D on thursday night?
is there a DC sneak?
Old 11-06-07, 02:23 PM

Why not film this in live action though?
They could have made a film that visually looks great like lord of the rings but instead they go with creepy-looking cgi characters.
+1

My wife wants to see it which means I will be seeing it. But these electronic puppet characters do nothing for me. I had the same gripe with Polar Express.
Old 11-06-07, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Holysmoker
+1

My wife wants to see it which means I will be seeing it. But these electronic puppet characters do nothing for me. I had the same gripe with Polar Express.
they were rather emotionless weren't they?
Old 11-06-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

+1

There are a lot of reasons why this isn't live action. The film isn't about being 100% realistic, it's meant to realistic like a painted portrait is realistic. Which fits because the story is myth, and there should be some detachment from real-life.

On top of the that, shooting this way gives the actors the utmost freedom in their performance, they don't have to worry about hitting a mark, or waiting for the crew to set up after each take, they just perform. Crispin Glover would not have been cast had it been live action because Zemeckis knows Glover is crazy on a set, but that's irrelevant here.

Furthermore, the film is apparantly incredible in 3D, and by being CG it allows for a much easier and smoother transition to that.

You'd also be interested to know Zemeckis took the Polar Express criticisms very seriously and they developed a new way to capture eye movements and other facial muscles that apparantly is worlds better.

By saying it should be live action misses a big point of what they're going for.
Old 11-06-07, 04:31 PM

I hear you, but I don't think its about actors freedom in performance. If anything, I think the manipulation of the digital image takes away any freedom they are expressing. In my opinion it would have more interesting to go the Sin City or 300 route.
Old 11-06-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hear you, but I don't think its about actors freedom in performance. If anything, I think the manipulation of the digital image takes away any freedom they are expressing. In my opinion it would have more interesting to go the Sin City or 300 route.
I disagree. I've heard Crispin Glover say that his performance is 100% on the screen. He's very happy with how Grendel turned out. I'm not sure how it would take away freedom, considering the whole point of the tech is to capture the performance. They could manipulate the performance just has much if it was live action, except this way they can avoid inconsistencies.

The problem with going the Sin City route is this film would require a lot of FX work, and CG/Live-action intergration comes off poorly, even today. They avoid those issues by making everything CG. I'd rather have a consistency of style, more than anything else that takes me out a film.

Gaiman has described the 3D version as being inside of graphic novel. Avary was originally going to direct the film as a live action piece, but now states that this is the best way the film could've been made.
Old 11-06-07, 07:31 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
If it's good, it's good. If it sucks, it sucks. I never get the CGI argument. Unless it looks god awful, CGI can look hokey as long as the story is good. and Polar Express didn't, especially in IMAX 3D, look strange to me. It's animation, not live-action. Just because it has a realistic look doesn't necessarily mean it should look like live-action.

However, based on the commercials and trailer for Beowulf it looks like they are trying for live-action.
Old 11-06-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't understand how the Sin City/300/Sky Captain route is any different?

In both scenarios you essentially have actors playing against nothing but their imagination with all the external stuff filled in afterwards. Its not like they just wanted someone Ray Winstone's size to go through the motions - they wanted Ray Winstone to act and they got that.
Old 11-06-07, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by clemente
I don't understand how the Sin City/300/Sky Captain route is any different?

In both scenarios you essentially have actors playing against nothing but their imagination with all the external stuff filled in afterwards. Its not like they just wanted someone Ray Winstone's size to go through the motions - they wanted Ray Winstone to act and they got that.
In Sin City/300/Sky Captain the actors looked real...IN Beowolf they don't...They look like something on a video game.
Old 11-06-07, 10:16 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
they just look hairy to me:

Old 11-07-07, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,148 Posts
In my opinion it would have more interesting to go the Sin City or 300 route.

...and people would be bitching about that too.
Old 11-07-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In Sin City/300/Sky Captain the actors looked real...IN Beowolf they don't...They look like something on a video game.
Exactly, they're not supposed to look like actual humans.
Old 11-07-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
I don't know man. It could be a good movie, but from an artistic point of view, I just don't like the look of it. It looks really drab and lifeless, and though the CG is supposed to be cutting edge, both Final Fantasy movies (along with the cutscenes from the last few games) still look more impressive than this does.
Old 11-07-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found it funny that when he says "I am Beowulf!".....It sounds exactly like "This is Sparta!"

Last edited by JaxComet; 11-07-07 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-07-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JaxComet
I found it funny that when he says "I am Beowulf!".....It sounds exactly like "This is Sparta!"
Yeah. They are really marketing this as being like "300," which I think is a horrible marketing decision. I wasn't really paying attention to this project until I saw the trailer, and I thought it looked horrible. I've got somewhat higher expectations now that I hear Zemeckis is directing, but the marketing really does this film no favors.
Old 11-07-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't know man. It could be a good movie, but from an artistic point of view, I just don't like the look of it. It looks really drab and lifeless, and though the CG is supposed to be cutting edge, both Final Fantasy movies (along with the cutscenes from the last few games) still look more impressive than this does.
I disagree. I think it looks significantly better than any Final Fantasy CG creation. The animation is, of course, leagues better. I'll take Gaiman's word that it does indeed feel like being in graphic novel, until I can form my opinion by seeing the whole thing in 3D.

Here's a little pic of the sensors on the face and suit:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.