DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Beowulf (11/16/2007) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/507424-beowulf-11-16-2007-a.html)

Yavin 07-26-07 10:21 AM

Beowulf (11/16/2007)

The new trailer for Beowulf is up here.

Looks good, but still seems a little "videogame-cutscene-ey" to me. I find it odd that they don't mention Crispin Glover as Grendel when they do the obligatory name drop at the end of the trailer, but maybe that's because he isn't as well-know by the general public.

maingon 07-26-07 10:51 AM

I thought it looked excellent, I didnt realize it was a CG flick, Almost looks photorealistic, Half way through the trailer was when I noticed it was CG

Drop 07-26-07 11:01 AM

I really want to see the IMAX 3D version of this.

Steve Phillips 07-26-07 11:56 AM

The 3-D version will be widely available; it is being released in 3-D in both Real D (digital projection) and IMAX formats. 1000 3-D screens for sure and maybe more.

Giles 07-26-07 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
The 3-D version will be widely available; it is being released in 3-D in both Real D (digital projection) and IMAX formats. 1000 3-D screens for sure and maybe more.

well that's a first! To bad Warner Bros. wasn't aggressive or could have released DLP prints of the latest Harry Potter with it's 3D segment done outside of the IMAX experience.

Jam Master Jay 07-26-07 02:29 PM

The Quicktime version of the trailer is up at http://www.apple.com/trailers now. Looks incredible!

woofman 07-27-07 05:15 PM

Looks pretty good, but ya know, that's the third freakin' movie this year I've heard with that same music. 28 Weeks Later, Sunshine, and now this.

Bandit03 07-27-07 08:04 PM

Finally saw the trailer and it looks incredible. Its amazing how real the CG looked. I loved the original Beowulf story, hopefully this movie stays true to the original, or atleast as true enough as a movie can be.

OldBoy 07-27-07 08:49 PM

i couldn't even tell it was motion capture CG at first. it's simply amazing what they can do. i won't see it, but the technical marvel that went into this must have been something else.

GoldenJCJ 07-27-07 08:58 PM

Looks good, although I wish they wouldn't have made the characters look exactly like the actors. It looks like they altered Ray Winstone a bit (I actually think they made Beowulf look like Patrick Swayze) but Anthony Hopkins, John Malkovich, Robin Wright Penn, and especially Angelina Jolie all look exactly like the real people.

I'm worried that it's going to be too weird watching computer characters that look their real life counterparts.

Giantrobo 07-28-07 05:36 AM

It seems like I've been hearing about this flick 4-ever. :lol:

Supermallet 07-28-07 05:53 AM

This is going to be awesome. Aside from the 3D, it was written by Neil Gaiman.

MoviePage 07-28-07 09:54 AM

I think it looks terrible. It's like a video game preview.

Beowulf is one of my all-time favorites, read it many times, and I'm fully expecting them to screw it up. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, though.

pinata242 09-10-07 04:19 PM

Here's the red-band trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24539.html

bboisvert 09-10-07 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Beowulf is one of my all-time favorites, read it many times, and I'm fully expecting them to screw it up. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, though.

If you're expecting it to be accurate to the source, I would agree that they'll likely screw it up. If you're just looking for a quality film that uses the source for inspiration, you might have better luck.

Who knows, it may suck (Zemeckis is definitely hit-or-miss with me). But I'm open minded about the whole thing.

MartinBlank 09-10-07 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
This is going to be awesome. Aside from the 3D, it was written by Neil Gaiman.

I saw the trailer for this this weekend and I could have sworn it had the screenplay by Neil Gaiman and Roger Avery (Pulp Fiction/Rules of Attraction)....am I correct?

Artman 09-10-07 06:27 PM

Why would they be releasing R-rated trailers if the theatrical is going to be PG-13?

Drop 09-10-07 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
I saw the trailer for this this weekend and I could have sworn it had the screenplay by Neil Gaiman and Roger Avery (Pulp Fiction/Rules of Attraction)....am I correct?

Yes, they seem to be a good pair. Avary did a wonderful adaptation of Rules of Attraction, and I know Ellis loves his Glamorama script. They are definitely not doing a direct Beowulf adaptation (would be too hard with all the "digressions"), but they are aware of that and are just trying to make a good film from the source material.

One thing I really liked that Gaiman said was that he hoped classes would watch the film and compare it to the story and have a debate on if the changes were for better or worse.

I'm excited, especially for the 3D version.

Giles 09-10-07 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
Why would they be releasing R-rated trailers if the theatrical is going to be PG-13?

because they are already planning on releasing that R-rated version down the line as a unrated DVD version.

having seen the trailer - I have come to conclusion, that even though every film character looks like their real human counterpart, Beowulf looks nothing like Ray Winstone.

Artman 09-10-07 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
because they are already planning on releasing that R-rated version down the line as a unrated DVD version.

Yeah, but they don't want us to get excited for the R-rated version and skip the PG-13 one do they? Cause that's what I'm feeling... screw theatrical I'll wait for DVD.

Giles 09-10-07 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
Yeah, but they don't want us to get excited for the R-rated version and skip the PG-13 one do they? Cause that's what I'm feeling... screw theatrical I'll wait for DVD.

but you'll miss it in 3D then!

chris_sc77 09-10-07 10:26 PM

I think that visually the films looks like crap (I dont want to see a movie that looks like bridging scenes from a video game!) but i love both Neil Gaiman and Roger Avary so I might have to see this. Also I get the feeling this will bomb big time.

fernsita 09-11-07 04:27 PM

Personally, I think the graphics look great. It is just another style and look that they are going for and I think it looks different. Plus I think it is gonna look amazing on the big screen, especially in 3D. And I do agree that Gaiman's involvement is a huge plus.

chris_sc77 09-11-07 05:06 PM

Why not film this in live action though?
They could have made a film that visually looks great like lord of the rings but instead they go with creepy-looking cgi characters.

Drop 09-11-07 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Why not film this in live action though?
They could have made a film that visually looks great like lord of the rings but instead they go with creepy-looking cgi characters.

Above all because it apparantly looks amazing in 3D. Everyone involved says seeing it in 2D on you computer monitor is disappointing, the only way it should be seen is 3D.

I think another good reason is to have a cohesive style. Instead of having those weird moments where CG mixes with live action (in which this film will have a ton and which not even LOTR was all that succesful) everything should flow together well, plus you get the actual performance of these actors.

I enjoyed this interview with Gaiman and Avary: http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=interviews&id=11232 . It answered a lot of my questions and allayed many of my doubts.