Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

[Rec]

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 01:30 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Does anyone know if the Spanish Blu-ray is region free?
Old 04-21-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I think there's a great chance this could make more money than Saw V.

1) Saw IV left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
2) It's opening in the middle of the month.
3) Saw V is going against High School Musical 3.
3a) Counter-programing? Maybe, but every female I've seen the Saw flicks with at midnight will be at High School Musical 3 that weekend.
Do you see the Saw flicks with 12 year olds?

jk, but I agree that the Saw movies are on their way out. People are getting tired of them, as can be seen by the drop in Saw 4's gross. It still did well, but it did about 20 million less than part 3, and I expect part 5 to have a similar drop off. I think people are ready for something different than Jigsaw's torture traps. It is neat that it's like the Friday the 13th series of the 2000's in the way that it has a new installment each year, but just like the F13 series, it started to decrease in Box Office right around parts 5 and 6.
Old 04-21-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I just saw this tonight. Great movie. Any movie with scenes that scare the shit out of my wife is alright with me.
Old 04-22-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is one of the scariest movies I've ever seen - no hyperbole. The last 5 minutes are truly some of the most intense, frightening I've ever watched. Everyone who feels disillusioned by and tired of recent horror movies (as I am), please check out [Rec]. You owe it to yourself.
Old 04-22-08, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I just saw this tonight. Great movie. Any movie with scenes that scare the shit out of my wife is alright with me.
Haha! May I ask where/how you (or anyone here in the U.S.) got to watch it? It's really got my attention. Thanks!
Old 04-22-08, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beesonosu
Haha! May I ask where/how you (or anyone here in the U.S.) got to watch it? It's really got my attention. Thanks!
yeah, when is the DVD of the original scheduled to be released.
Old 04-22-08, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by beesonosu
Without getting too explicit, there are a lot of means to see this. I've got a source who often hooks me up with things of this nature.

As for an official dvd release, rumor has it that it will be out around the time of the US remake later this year. Nothing's official though.
Old 04-25-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts
Just saw the Quaranting trailer as well:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_p...tine/high.html

Looks pretty decent.
Old 04-26-08, 01:44 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Just watched this last night. I have to say I haven't been freaked out by a movie in a long time but this was really creepy. For those who have seen it (question about the ending):

Spoiler:
What was that thing in the attic in the end, some kind of demon or what?
Old 05-04-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Just watched this last night. I have to say I haven't been freaked out by a movie in a long time but this was really creepy. For those who have seen it (question about the ending):

Spoiler:
What was that thing in the attic in the end, some kind of demon or what?
Looked like
Spoiler:
an undead child
to me.

While I liked the movie overall, I really wish the lead female would have been a bit smarter. Especially during the scene when they are spying on the hazmat guy and the cop. I kept wanting Pablo (the cameraman) to kick her in the mouth or tell her to STFU.

Other than that, some pretty cool shots. Nice tension in some scenes, but I found the ending to be a little less than what I was expecting.
Old 08-05-08, 04:13 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/34141/rec/
Old 08-05-08, 05:11 PM

still no word on a R1 dvd?
Old 08-05-08, 06:00 PM

Nothing...and there are 14 reviews at rotten tomatoes...so they must be getting review copies somewhere.

in related news
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cann...ec_2_announced

Cannes 2008: REC 2 Announced
Horror sequel looking for buyers.
by Chris Tilly | May 16, 2008
Blog Article | Discuss Article
It looks like [REC], the Spanish horror flick that has been terrifying audiences all over Europe this year, is about to get the sequel treatment.

Spain's Filmax is currently promoting REC 2 in Cannes, with directors Jaume Balaguero and Paco Plaza again attached to direct.

According to Screen Daily, there's no word on cast, budget or start date, but the filmmakers have revealed that the sequel will retain the original's "claustrophobic concept", with the horror again seen through the lens of a handheld camera.

As for the original [REC], although the film is yet to be released in America, it has already been remade under the title Quarantine, with John Erick Dowdle directing and Jay Hernandez starring.
Old 08-05-08, 06:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts
Originally Posted by Howiefan
Does anyone know if the Spanish Blu-ray is region free?
I'd also like to know the answer to this.

I'm not a big fan of horror movies, but this one's a keeper.
Quarantine MIGHT be decent... but I noticed two things in the trailer that kinda bothered me:
Spoiler:

1. When trying to escape through the window, it looks like the 'authorities' shoot one of the people stuck in the building. I GUESS that was done for it to seem more American... but I don't like it.
2. The very last scene in the trailer is the main character getting pulled away from the camera. Obviously, not a good choice to have in the trailer because people like me will be waiting and waiting for that scene, only to realize, half-way through, exactly what the outcome is going to be. This is, of course, in contrast to the teaser for [REC], which leaves very much to the imagination.
Old 08-05-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
The Spanish Blu-ray is oddly encoded, it's 1080i in PAL, this is causing some serious problems for importers.
Old 08-05-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
The Spanish Blu-ray is oddly encoded, it's 1080i in PAL, this is causing some serious problems for importers.
Blu-Ray does not have PAL or NTSC.

I stand corrected, it does appear that [REC] is recorded at 50i, essentially PAL playback speed. My bad.

Last edited by valkyrie; 08-05-08 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 11:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts
50i is no problem for us HTPC users... I think. I'm willing to give it a shot, anyway.

Where's the best place to import this from? I'm not so good with the non-english websites...
Old 10-11-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Watched it.

It's good.
Old 10-11-08, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I'd also like to know the answer to this.

Spoiler:

1. When trying to escape through the window, it looks like the 'authorities' shoot one of the people stuck in the building. I GUESS that was done for it to seem more American... but I don't like it.
If memory serves, that also happens in [REC]. Upon rewatching, the scene is not in [REC]

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Spoiler:

2. The very last scene in the trailer is the main character getting pulled away from the camera. Obviously, not a good choice to have in the trailer because people like me will be waiting and waiting for that scene, only to realize, half-way through, exactly what the outcome is going to be. This is, of course, in contrast to the teaser for [REC], which leaves very much to the imagination.
I also scratched my head at the decision to use that scene in the trailer
Listening to an interview on Attack of the Show, the lead actress(Quarantine) mentioned surprises(relative to [REC]) therefore I thought there had been an addition or twist to allow that scene in the trailer.

Last edited by maxpower; 10-14-08 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-11-08, 11:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by achau9598
Looked like
Spoiler:
an undead child
to me.
in [REC] that firmly attributed

Spoiler:

her as being the one who started it all, she (it) was who was in the article clippings on the wall.

In Quarantine though it made little to no sense, it was just a standard shock scare.

Last edited by Giles; 10-11-08 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-12-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I scratched my head at why they bothered to market it in such a way to spoil it. Watching the original version I was beyond excited. This remake.. blah. they really didn't have to sell it like that.
Old 07-10-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: [Rec]

Finally saw [rec]. Hardly the scariest movie ever but it was a lot of fun. I had heard complaints about the marketing of Quarantine and now I get why. I see in this thread that stupid shot inclusion has been rightly criticized.

As much as I enjoyed [rec], I think the bit where
Spoiler:
they rewind the tape
was beyond stupid. A simple cut followed by a gap in events would have made more sense. That little bit in between had no payoff and only served to remind me that I was watching a movie.

I remember seeing a thread (that I can no longer find) about a sequel to this movie. If they can make it just as fun as this one, I'm all for it.

Now I just gotta rent Quarantine to see if it's any good.
Old 07-10-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles
in [REC] that firmly attributed

Spoiler:

her as being the one who started it all, she (it) was who was in the article clippings on the wall.

In Quarantine though it made little to no sense, it was just a standard shock scare.
Spoiler:
Then who was the really emaciated woman that killed Pablo? I misstook that for the child that started it all as a grown up. Since they're technically not zombies I saw no reason why they couldn't age and simply assumed she was there for many years with no food and thus became real skinny.
Old 07-14-09, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Spoiler:
Then who was the really emaciated woman that killed Pablo? I misstook that for the child that started it all as a grown up. Since they're technically not zombies I saw no reason why they couldn't age and simply assumed she was there for many years with no food and thus became real skinny.
Spoiler:
I just watched the movie on DVD and I'm pretty sure the old woman that killed Pablo is the girl in the clippings (the recording equipment, and therefore the clippings, are like 40 years old).

I have no idea who the kid in the attic was, though. Maybe one of her victims? There's supposed to be a way out of there right?
Old 07-14-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RD1973
Spoiler:
I just watched the movie on DVD and I'm pretty sure the old woman that killed Pablo is the girl in the clippings (the recording equipment, and therefore the clippings, are like 40 years old).

I have no idea who the kid in the attic was, though. Maybe one of her victims? There's supposed to be a way out of there right?
Spoiler:
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in thinking that the old woman and the little girl from the clippings are one and the same.

I'm at a loss as to who that kid was. As far as I recall, there was no known exit from the attic. There was an exit through some sewer access hatch under the textile room.

Perhaps the sequel will elaborate on the child, the old woman, and the original owner of the attic appartment. They said he just left one day and never came back. Perhaps he's still alive.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-14-09 at 10:48 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.