Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Toy Story 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts
Re: Toy Story 3

Originally Posted by brayzie
I'm fairly sure this won't be as good as Toy Story 2. Usually, when a sequel equals or surpasses the original, the 3rd installment turns out to be the weakest.
But this is Pixar. Mere mortal rules of movies do not apply to them.
Old 02-11-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Here's hoping this one is good. I love Pixar and this series but their last two movies really disappointed me.
Old 02-11-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Here's hoping this one is good. I love Pixar and this series but their last two movies really disappointed me.
Wall-e and Up? Wow. They certainly have their imperfections, but are still amazing.
Old 03-18-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

A first look review is up from a ShoWest screening. It's pretty much spoiler free, and it sounds EXTREMELY promising. Courtesy of Jim Hill Media.

So what can I tell you about “Toy Story 3” without revealing any significant surprises? … Er … Um … Well, for starters, you should bring Kleenex. Lots & lots of Kleenex. Because I can guarantee you that you’re going to spend a good portion of the last 30 minutes of this film in tears.

I mean, I sat in that hall today surrounded by hardened industry professionals. Exhibitors who care more about how much popcorn & soda they’re selling than the movies they’re currently showing at their multiplexes. And these jaded theater owners – as “Toy Story 3” entered the home stretch – were openly weeping. Tears streaming down hundreds of faces as the ultimate fate of Woody, Buzz, Jessie and the whole Andy’s Room gang was decided.

Speaking of which … I’m going to be very interested to see what sort of rating “Toy Story 3” gets. Because this movie gets really dark and scary at times. In fact, there’s one sequence toward the end of “TS3” where the toys are put in such peril (and then handle this literally horrifying moment with such grace, heart and courage) that I wonder if this moment in the movie may be just too much for little-little kids to handle. But then again – given how the sequence in question pays off, with this great character-driven “But of course!” moment (which got a huge reaction from the crowd today in Le Theatre Des Arts) – I honestly wouldn’t change a frame of this film.

Here’s something else that you’re going to want to do before seeing “Toy Story 3”: And that’s rewatch “Toy Story” & “Toy Story 2.” You see, Unkrich and Anderson have made a point of filling “TS3” with all sorts of witty tie-ins, clever call-backs to the first two films. And in order to really appreciate what Lee & Darla have done here, the first two “Toy Story” movies should still be fresh in your mind. (That way -- for example -- you'll realize that the last image in "Toy Story 3" echoes the very first thing that you see in the original "Toy Story.")

Another thing worth noting here is – while “Toy Story” was basically a buddy movie and “Toy Story 2” was more of a road picture … “Toy Story 3” – in its heart of hearts -- a caper. There’s at least one sequence (where I think it’s Dave Foley doing the voice of that Fisher Price phone) that gives off a strong “Ocean's Eleven” vibe. Which is another reason that it was so great that Pixar & Disney decided to show this work-in-progress version of “TS3” here in Vegas at the ShoWest crowd.
Old 03-18-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll admit I'm not much of an animation guy. I've only seen a few of the more recent ones, and can barely even recall them. But I saw the trailer for this and my gf and I both agreed it looks like it'll be really good. She wants to go see it, so I think I might check it out.

One q, this is coming out in 3-D right? Was it shot in 3-D, or is this another post conversion?
Old 03-18-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
A first look review is up from a ShoWest screening. It's pretty much spoiler free, and it sounds EXTREMELY promising. Courtesy of Jim Hill Media.
I am a 47 year old man, but almost every Pixar movie gets me teared up.

The 1st 10-15 min of UP was the worst/best in the tear department.

Toy Story 3 - bring it on. It would not surprise me if it wins "Best Picture of the year", not just best "Animated movie".
Old 03-18-10, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Toy Story 3 - bring it on. It would not surprise me if it wins "Best Picture of the year", not just best "Animated movie".
Damn, dude, you are a super fan. The movie ain't even out yet.
Old 03-19-10, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'll admit I'm not much of an animation guy. I've only seen a few of the more recent ones, and can barely even recall them. But I saw the trailer for this and my gf and I both agreed it looks like it'll be really good. She wants to go see it, so I think I might check it out.

One q, this is coming out in 3-D right? Was it shot in 3-D, or is this another post conversion?
Well it isn't shot in 3D for sure, cuz they're not shooting Toys do stuff . It's being made w/ 3D in mind. So yes...this is a full on 3D film. Not a conversion to 3D. It's being made in a 3D process.
Old 03-19-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Well it isn't shot in 3D for sure, cuz they're not shooting Toys do stuff . It's being made w/ 3D in mind. So yes...this is a full on 3D film. Not a conversion to 3D. It's being made in a 3D process.
Well, yea, I suppose "shot" wasn't the right word, but good to know it was composed with 3D in mind. That'll make my decision much easier. I refuse to support films converted in post.
Old 03-20-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shemp
Damn, dude, you are a super fan. The movie ain't even out yet.
Yes, I admit I am a Pixar Geek, my wife does not understand it all and that is OK.

Toy Story movies are the best. If it is any better than TS2, it has to up for Movie of the Year - IMHO.
Old 03-21-10, 01:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

this is cool news, coming from a technical stance:

ShoWest 2010: Dolby Rolling Out Surround 7.1 with Toy Story 3
Source: Dolby Laboratories
March 17, 2010

At ShoWest 2010, Dolby Laboratories, Inc. announced it is working with Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios to deliver a new audio format, Dolby Surround 7.1. Disney and Pixar have stated that Dolby Surround 7.1 will be launched in select theaters with the release of Toy Story 3 in 3D this June.

"For 40 years Dolby has not only provided content creators with the tools to create a more realistic audio experience, but has also enabled the exhibitor to deliver audiences the ability to experience the content as the creator intended," said Page Haun, Senior Director, Marketing, Cinema Market Segment, Dolby Laboratories. "The release of 'Toy Story 3' in a discrete 7.1 mix will raise the bar for movie theatre owners and their patrons."

Dolby Surround 7.1 brings a more exciting sensory experience to audiences for 2D and gives content creators control over audio placement in a theatre when mixing 3D movies. The ability to compose audio with visual elements of 3D allows content creators to immerse the audience deeper into the movie with dramatic realism.

Dolby Surround 7.1 provides content creators four surround zones to better orchestrate audio channels in a movie theatre environment. The four surround zones incorporate the traditional Left Surround and Right Surround with new Back Surround Left and Back Surround Right zones. The addition of the two Back Surround zones enhances directionality in panning 360 degrees around the theatre.

Dolby Surround 7.1 format comprises 8 channels of audio and has the following channel layout: Left, Center, Right, Low-Frequency Effects (LFE), Left Surround, Right Surround, Back Surround Left (new), and Back Surround Right (new). In order for exhibitors to deliver the new format, Dolby will be providing Dolby Surround 7.1 playback capabilities in the Dolby CP650 and Dolby CP750 digital cinema audio processor lines.

At ShoWest, Dolby is demonstrating to exhibitors a discrete 7.1 mixed demo reel of past Pixar movies to showcase the advanced audio solution. After the show, exhibitors will be able to access the content to test and demonstrate in their theaters.
Old 03-22-10, 05:27 PM

I'm pretty excited for it to come out. You don't get very many good "kids" movies anymore. UP was a great movie though. I hope they make more like that.
Old 04-13-10, 09:01 PM
Banned

<object width="450" height="304"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20615"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20615" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="304" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 04-27-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Pixar created a fake retro advertisement for the new character Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear. Pretty cool, hopefully they include it as a bonus feature on the DVD/Blu-ray release.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z6dZtNYGlLM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z6dZtNYGlLM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 04-27-10, 05:55 PM
Banned

damn.....that's pretty cool. They even got that VHS feel.
Old 04-27-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ awesome
Old 04-27-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The announcer was great too!
Old 04-27-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

That commercial is awesome...they got everything down.

Edit: Here's a Japanese one.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5ZwkcHCVkE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5ZwkcHCVkE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by bluetoast; 04-27-10 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-27-10, 10:16 PM
Banned

damn. What is w/ Pixar doing this all of a sudden? This is awesome.
Old 04-28-10, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Well, yea, I suppose "shot" wasn't the right word, but good to know it was composed with 3D in mind. That'll make my decision much easier. I refuse to support films converted in post.
Not to worry.

There hasn't been a single, CGI-animated 3D flick that was "converted" to 3D.
Old 04-28-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that Japanese one is awesome too. I'm going to save these just in case they don't make it to the home video release.
Old 04-28-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
So Pixar created a fake retro advertisement for the new character Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear. Pretty cool, hopefully they include it as a bonus feature on the DVD/Blu-ray release.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z6dZtNYGlLM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z6dZtNYGlLM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
very cool
Old 04-28-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pixar, they have done no wrong.

I wish I could shake they hands and thank them for going through the extra effort to do everything perfect.

Toy Story 3 is the one movie I want to see this year, if it was the only movie being shown for the year, I would still be happy.

Maybe I have had too much "Pixar Dust" sprinkled on top of me...if it could only make me fly.
Old 04-28-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

^Jeepers!
Old 04-28-10, 05:08 PM

I loved those clips. Pixar is truly amazing. I loved the Japanese version even though I couldn't understand anything! Ha.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.