Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

More powerful that what, Obi Wan?????

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

More powerful that what, Obi Wan?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More powerful than what, Obi Wan?????

One of the most confusing lines in the Star Wars movies is when Obi-Wan admonishes Ben that if he gets struck down he will only become more powerful. More powerful than what???

Seriously, what were his great powers after he was struck down? Talking telepathically to Luke? Jedi couldn't perform that task in the physical form? And if not, why is that power all that great??? I call that a rather lame power, really. Or were his great powers floating around as a ghost like image on Hoth and sitting on some moldy log on Dagobah.

What an extreme let down, I must say. He warns Vader things will only get worse for him if he's struck down...uh, Ben, exactly how did you accomplish that? Oh, you revealed the location Yoda to Luke through some ghostly presence. Big whoop. A recording shoved up R2's ass could have done the same job.

Vader must have laughed his ass off that nothing ever happened as a result of that empty threat. How fitting would it have been to have Obi-Wan come back with all his great powers at the end of Empire and whoop some Vader ass with powers that would have made the Emperor piss his robe? But then Empire wouldn't have ended on a down note and be as awesome as it was.

So, realistically, was there any time in Lucas' mind when he was going to fulfill Obi-Wan's warning? I really don't think so. It was just an empty threat. What did he do to Vader? Haunt his meditation chamber for a little while or something? Geez, what a loser Kenobi turned out to be. Jedi Master my ass.

Last edited by calhoun07; 05-20-07 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-20-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
His power was that he could write Than instead of That.

I suppose it's really that he couldn't be touched and could carry on his cause as he was able to talk to luke still.

Oh, you revealed the location Yoda to Luke through some ghostly presence. Big whoop. A recording shoved up R2's ass could have done the same job.
Yeah, but it didn't. It was Obi who pointed Luke to Yoda. so.. um.. there?

So, realistically, was there any time in Lucas' mind when he was going to fulfill Obi-Wan's warning? I really don't think so. It was just an empty threat.
Well, it was originally some 9 part epic that was cut down to three movies so saying that there was no potential of ever having it be something different is silly to say.

Oh wait. I forgot, the typical response in these sorts of threads are "HURR, LUCAS IS A FAT FROG FACED MORAN WHO RAPED MY CHILDHOOD! HURRR!"

I suppose carry on.
Old 05-20-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
My Jedi training is clearly not complete!
Old 05-20-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Had there been no introduction of midichlorians, I would have guessed that Obi Wan would become a larger part of the 'Force'.

Also, he tells Vader that "if you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you (meaning Vader) can possibly imagine". I thought this implied that since Vader hadn't learned everything, he wasn't going give two shits after he kills Ben, because, well... he's dead (at least to Vader). But Ben knew that he would come back as one with the Force to guide Luke.
Old 05-20-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or it could mean more along the lines of Obi Wan becoming a martyr that further pushes Luke in his quest against the Empire bringing about the eventual downfall of Vader.
Old 05-20-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Jesus, I can hardly read your posts anymore through the arrogance that oozes from my screen.
Old 05-20-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Don't you mean when Obi-Wan admonishes VADER? Ben is Obi-Wan's first name.
Old 05-20-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Jesus, I can hardly read your posts anymore through the arrogance that oozes from my screen.
::
Old 05-20-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
I always wondered if Obi Wan 'talked' to any other people. It'd be funny to have him bug the shit out of Vader. Imagine hearing "Anakin, use the force" while he's taking a dump.
Old 05-20-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I always wondered if Obi Wan 'talked' to any other people. It'd be funny to have him bug the shit out of Vader. Imagine hearing "Anakin, use the force" while he's taking a dump.
Yeah, that'd be good...Vader's taking a dump....

"Use the Force, Anakin!"

"Anakin is dead, dead to me I say!"
Old 05-20-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Or it could mean more along the lines of Obi Wan becoming a martyr that further pushes Luke in his quest against the Empire bringing about the eventual downfall of Vader.
Exactly.
Old 05-20-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Deftones

Your sarcasm detector must be broken these days as those sorts of things are really jokes. I would expect you to see the irony of me ever talking smack about anyone else's grammar. Pot calling the kettle.. um. a pot.

Either way, the question was really not much of a question. It's open for interpretations and no reason to even connect it to Lucas being a hack of a director leaving such inconsistence plot strings hanging.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 05-20-07 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-20-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Jedis get 40 virgins in the afterlife.

So when he said "powerful", he meant "erect." Lucas did that to maintain the PG rating.
Old 05-20-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sure I'll get corrected but he's the first to go all Jedi Spirit, right? So there you go. He did become more powerful than Vader could have imagined. Hey, not being able to hurt the dude and him pushing Luke through the training and keeping the Jedi order was pretty powerful.

Either that or the 40 virgins deal.
Old 05-21-07, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I was thinking eternal life...guess its kinda a big deal.

think in one of the first 3 they might have mentioned something about it. Well for those of you who consider those movies Star Wars.
Old 05-21-07, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I felt the same way as the OP. I suppose guiding Luke to victory was making himself more powerful. But I think they should done more with it like swallow planets or something.
Old 05-21-07, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Blowing up heads. Clearly that's the only power greater than choking someone without touching them. Yeah. I would so totally think head explody is more powerful than even what Vader could imagine.
Old 05-21-07, 03:10 AM

Can Jedis perform some sort of a suicidal ritual like the Japanese Seppuku to become the form that Obi Wan was?
Old 05-21-07, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Don't try overanalyze any SW plot points anymore, especially specific lines from the 1977 movie. Just to keep in context, when ObiWan was talking to Vader at that point of the storyline, Vader actually did kill Lukes father, so it is just not worth it anymore to see what Lucas had on screen in 1977 and wonder why it doesnt make sense today.
Old 05-21-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by coli
Don't try overanalyze any SW plot points anymore, especially specific lines from the 1977 movie. Just to keep in context, when ObiWan was talking to Vader at that point of the storyline, Vader actually did kill Lukes father, so it is just not worth it anymore to see what Lucas had on screen in 1977 and wonder why it doesnt make sense today.
That pretty much sums it up. Lucas not only made up the saga as he went along, didn't he actually decide to kill off Ben during the filming of Star Wars?
Old 05-21-07, 09:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
But I think they should done more with it like swallow planets or something.
D'oh! That's exactly what I was thinking. We still haven't seen what Galactus looks like or who is cast for the role. I predict Alec Guiness will pull a 2-Pac and come out of hiding just in time for Fantastic Four 3. Lucas put that line in the first film in an ingenious foreshadowing ploy, anticipating the course of Hollywood more than 30 years into the future.

The man's a genius.
Old 05-21-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I'm sure I'll get corrected but he's the first to go all Jedi Spirit, right? So there you go. He did become more powerful than Vader could have imagined. Hey, not being able to hurt the dude and him pushing Luke through the training and keeping the Jedi order was pretty powerful.

Either that or the 40 virgins deal.
Oh man, no one has corrected you? I guess that makes me the nerd who has to do it.

At the end of Revenge of the Sith, Yoda reveals to Obi-Wan that Qui Gon has returned in spirit form.
Old 05-21-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to 2007 my friend!
Old 05-21-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Woo hoo...a Star Wars thread! We get so few of these! So, let me tell you about this George Lucas fella and my childhood...

Seriously though, the idea that Lucas had more than one movie plotted out is a long-standing urban legend. At best, he only had an outline of the characters' future and past. Why did Obi-Wan say it? Becuase it's something cool to say in a movie...the fact that you singled it out proves that.
Old 05-21-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Oh man, no one has corrected you? I guess that makes me the nerd who has to do it.

At the end of Revenge of the Sith, Yoda reveals to Obi-Wan that Qui Gon has returned in spirit form.

He was just busy with the 40 virgins, eh?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.