Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Knocked Up — The Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Knocked Up — The Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was Carrie. Nancy Allen was the giveaway.
Old 06-10-07, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old 06-11-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The funniest line for me and the audience I saw it with was
Spoiler:
You're dressed like a cholo, on Easter

My question is, do most people know what a
Spoiler:
cholo
is ?
Most people I know who have seen it were wondering the same thing.
Old 06-11-07, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
The funniest line for me and the audience I saw it with was
Spoiler:
You're dressed like a cholo, on Easter

My question is, do most people know what a
Spoiler:
cholo
is ?
Most people I know who have seen it were wondering the same thing.
Yes, I know what that term means only because I live on the west coast.
Old 06-11-07, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
I loved all the little references. The Murderball one had me rolling, but not many got the joke tho.
Old 06-11-07, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

saw it saturday and it was freaking hilarious... audience laughed alot and the "my shit looked like a stuffed animal" had people rolling
Old 06-12-07, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Yes, I know what that term means only because I live on the west coast.

Growing up in East LA as kid, I definetely knew it well.
Old 06-12-07, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SPiRAL
Growing up in East LA as kid, I definetely knew it well.
If you watch "The Shield", you'd be familiar with such gang names as well.
Old 06-12-07, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Another East L.A. poster? hee, nice. Yeah, I laughed a lot from that scene because it's so true that a cholo on easter will look something like that.
Old 06-12-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Certainly enjoyed the movie, but I think I need to see it again to catch everything.

Since everyone else is doing it: I liked 40 better.
Old 06-12-07, 02:13 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The best movie I've seen in almost 2 years. The film was full of heart and laughs.

Judd Apatow is a Man God!

The movie was like a 40 Year Old Virgin/Freeks and Geeks/Undeclared/The Office cast reunion.

40 Year Old Virgin:

Seth Rogen
Paul Rudd
Leslie Mann
Stormy
Steve Carell
Jonah Hill

Freeks and Geeks:

Seth Rogen
Jason Segel
Martin Starr
James Franco

Undeclared:

Seth Rogen
Jay Baruchel
Jason Segel

The Office:

Steve Carell
BJ Novak
Craig Robinson

I'm probably missing a few other names. The movie was funny from start to finish and the cast was outstanding. With the success of the film, it's clear Seth Rogen can carry a movie now. It's always good to see the local guy do well. I noticed his character came from Vancouver and how all of his male buddies character names were also their real names. The film even had a joke about how much older Rogen looks than his age.

The girl from My Father The Hero is all grown up. I've never found Katherine Heigl attractive until this film. Her role was originally given to Anne Hathaway but she turned it down. After seeing Heigl's performance, it's hard to picture anybody else doing a better job with the character.

One of the biggest mysteries is why isn't Paul Rudd headlining or co-headlining his own movies. The Objecy Of My Affection is almost 10 years old and he has rebounded nicely from that dud. Rudd has the talent and the looks to be a bigger star than he is. At least from his IMDB profile, it does look like he might be getting bigger roles in some of his upcoming films.

The cameo's by Ryan Seacrest and James Franco were really funny. Kristen Wiig was also great and her character was sort of like one of her characters on SNL.

I already can't wait for the 2 Disc DVD. They filmed a faux documentary about how Rogen was the 10th choice to be casted as the leading man in Knocked Up. Apatow said he has about 6hrs worth of material for extras right now although I'm sure this will be trimmed.

Knocked Up is one of those rare films were everything clicked. Knocked Up is an instant classic.

I have no choice but to give this movie an ............... A
Old 06-12-07, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by asianflow
I'm probably missing a few other names.
Loudon Wainwright
Paul Feig (not cast, but creator of Freaks and Geeks and a director of Undeclared)
Old 06-13-07, 09:53 AM

Saw this last night. I will now go see anything Judd Apatow is involved with. I didn't feel it was too long at all. If it was cut down to an hour and a half, I feel the characters would have had less development and therefor feel less real. I love that they referenced the real Mr. Skin website instead of making Ben rich from his idea. It's really hard to find good comedies period, but especially good adult comedies. Before Knocked Up started, I saw trailers for License to Wed and I now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry. It really makes you appreciate the likes of Judd Apatow with so many horrible comedies being made. I'm not against the over the top comedies if done well, but I've really been into the Judd Apatow comedies that might have a little less jokes, but more realism. I really hope this film makes Ben Rogen a star, he's certainly earned his dues. Katherine Heigl wasn't just a pretty face on screen, but I felt she owned her character. She's one of the few blondes I'm attracted to along with Charlize Theron. I also can't forget the cameos from Apatow's regulars who I feel are far better and less distracting then the regulars who show up in Wilson/Vaughn/Stiller films. Certainly neither the 40 Year Old Virgin or Knocked Up are unpredictable, but they are very well done in a way that doesn't make you feel cheated. Out of 4 stars I give Knocked Up 4 stars.
Old 06-19-07, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,133 Posts
<-Late to the game.

I just got back from seeing this and I loved this movie. Everyone was giving 100%, the script had tons of heart and laughs, and the cameos rocked. I especially loved seeing Mo "Gina/40YOV" Collins as the "Uh oh, that's you anus" Doc. Plus Robo, got a Preggo sex fix so that was good.

I gotta say Paul Rudd looked really good in this film. That guy is aging well and I can see why women fall for him.
Old 06-19-07, 08:47 AM

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts
I too just saw this and agree with all the accolades it's receiving. So many great quotes sprinkled throughout and at 2+ hours, the time just flew by.
Old 06-20-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts
Finally saw it last night. I really enjoyed it and laughed a lot. But I **hated** Ben's friends though (Seth Rogen's character). They just annoyed the shit out of me. They were mildly funny for a second. Then it just got old and I moaned everytime they came on.
Old 06-22-07, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I finally watched this movie yesterday and I liked it a lot. Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogen were great but loved all of the minor characters in the movie played by Kristen Wiig and Alan Tudyk.

"Tighter" and "This is Hollywood. We hate liars here." were great lines.
Old 06-22-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Yeah, I laughed a lot from that scene because it's so true that a cholo on easter will look something like that.
That's still one of my favorite lines from the movie. I don't think most people here know what a cholo is because both times I saw this no one else laughed.
Old 06-28-07, 11:41 PM

I knew I would love this movie when I heard the Ol' Dirty Bastard song as the opening song. My wife hates it when I say "OOhhhh baby I like it raw", which is at least once a day.

Great movie, expecially when you see it with your pregnant wife. I also feel sorry for the baby getting poked in the head with my big cock.
Old 06-29-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not to thread crap but after all the good things people where saying and I laughed at the trailer, so I finaly went, but this film was vastly unfunny and too one sided in its point of view.

Plus, I never knew a hot girl to have screw a guy like that...oh wait he got her drunk.

Wrong and lame and the worst film this summer (I know I'm the minority).
Old 06-29-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
Not to thread crap but after all the good things people where saying and I laughed at the trailer, so I finaly went, but this film was vastly unfunny and too one sided in its point of view.

Plus, I never knew a hot girl to have screw a guy like that...oh wait he got her drunk.

That was one of the biggest problems I had with it. Not that hot girls don't go with plain guys and vice versa but they went to the extreme. I think they needed to tone her down a bit. As I said before, she'd die of alchohol poisoning before she was drunk enough to bang a loser like that.
Old 06-29-07, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shaggy
Nice to see another person who saw 100 Girls.
GREAT movie. One of those gems almost everyone discovers on cable. Emmanuelle Chiriqui
Old 06-29-07, 08:52 PM
Banned

Finally saw this today in a theatre with two other people. What a great two hours to spend. To the poster who was questioning Rogen's behavior in Vegas: Have you ever been on 'shrooms? They don't make you get all violent and crazy, but a bad trip can make you want to isolate yourself, just like Rogen did. Probably the most realistic 'shroom scene ever put on film. Rudd pulling all the chairs in the hotel room and lining them up was fucking gold. Anyone wondering where his leading roll is must have missed "Overnight Delivery" with Reese Witherspoon. Sure, it was not a huge movie, but very enjoyable and Rudd was great as always. I still think his best roll was in "Wet Hot American Summer". Also, he was in a great little film that Ken Marino wrote that premiered on HDNet Movies last month called "Diggers". All that being said, "The Ten" is still my most eagerly anticipated movie of the summer.

Gabe Ruth.
Old 06-29-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...Plus, I never knew a hot girl to have screw a guy like that...oh wait he got her drunk.
My man... alcohol does miraculous things.
Old 07-07-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Finally saw this tonight and you will get no arguments out of me.I completely agree. I feel like every time I watch an Apatow movie it is incredibly disjointed and overly long.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.