Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ferrell Calls on Academy for Comedy Oscar

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ferrell Calls on Academy for Comedy Oscar

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doughboy
American Beauty and Forrest Gump being labeled as comedies is stretching it.

If the Academy really respected that genre, they would've nominated Sasha Baron Cohen for Best Actor.
Yeah, comedies are supposed to be funny. Make you laugh. Forrest Gump was horribly depressing.
Old 03-26-07, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auntiewinnie
Is that so? One would think that if all members would get to vote for each category it should come only after the field has been narrowed (presumably by the people with the respective expertise in the categories). The other way seems bass-ackwards if you ask me.
You know, now that you mention it I think you're right. I think it is the other way around.

Which proves your earlier point about it being up to the actors to nominate comedic performances, etc. But you have to remember that the Academy is comprised of past winners and nominees, which for the most part are dramatic actors and filmmakers. So you end up with this vicious circle where dramatic films are favored because that's the membership's background. You need more comedic performers and filmmakers as part of the Academy in order to recognize achievement in those types of films, but not many of those people are invited to join the Academy. It's a bit of a catch-22.
Old 03-26-07, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
As far as Carrell's acting performance, was it really that amazing of an acting job where it should be placed among the best of that year? He played the nice, likeable guy. This role is in every romantic comedy and Carrell did what he needed to do. I'm sure Woody Allen has played this role at least 20 times. Did Carrell do anything amazing or create a gripping or powerful portayal in any way? Obviously, it's a matter of opinion and in my opinion he certainly didn't. You may argue that his acting was competent AND he also makes you laugh. But any great dramatic actor can do the same. It's just that the movies they are in might have different intentions in the broader view of things.
It's funny because I've felt a similar way about many dramatic nominations. When I saw The Pursuit of Happyness, I just knew that Will Smith was going to get nominated and, to me, it seemed that this nomination would be predicated on nothing more than the fact that OMG it's Will Smith in a drama where he doesn't fight robots or aliens. I mean, I would describe his performance in that film as perfectly competent, but nothing more than that.

This may skew things because of Will Smith's background though.

Nevertheless, I find it sort of silly that some would say that Will Ferrell could be nominated for Stranger Than Fiction in which, I thought, he was totally blah and just blindly disregard a more entertaining performance of his on the grounds that the film has been labeled a comedy.
Old 03-26-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm certainly not saying that I agree with every nomination. I'm also not saying that some of the dramatic performances that get nominated are anything but pedestrian and run of the mill. But this thread is about the comedy genre as a whole. Generally speaking, most of the comedies that come out now offer nothing more than cheap laughs. The overwhelming majority are star vehicles and gross-out sex comedies. Despite containing elements of a gross-out sex comedy, perhaps the 40 Year Old Virgin is the exception to the rule. I'm not a huge fan of it but I'll give you that its one of the more respectable films from the genre. So that's one. Someone suggested Stranger than Fiction, so that's two. But what are the other comedies that people here honestly feel were snubbed by the Oscars? I need more evidence especially when there are nominations from time to time. It's one thing to argue about one or two particular movies that people felt should have been recognized more, but you can't complain about an entire genre because those two got snubbed.

It's also important to seperate your favorite movies with movies that deserve to be artistically praised. I loved the Star Wars prequels but recognize that they aren't exactly high art. They recieved a handful of technical nominations, won none and I couldn't possibly care less. I enjoy the movies. They are immensely entertaining to me but I can't cry that American Beauty, a movie I loathed, was the best picture for that year and Phantom Menace wasn't (save the jokes, it's just an example).

Last edited by DarthMarino; 03-26-07 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-26-07, 07:19 PM

I'm certainly not saying that I agree with every nomination. I'm also not saying that some of the dramatic performances that get nominated are anything but pedestrian and run of the mill. But this thread is about the comedy genre as a whole.
My main gripe would be exactly that then. Why do nominations go to pedestrian, run-of-the-mill dramatic performances? It's bad practice to class an entire genre beneath another.

I don't think that comedy has completely gotten the shaft over the years, but I don't think that a nomination for Sascha Baron Cohen last year would've been entirely absurd. Between Borat and Talladega Nights, I think he showed a rather nice amount of versatility and range. The same I don't think can be said about the aforementioned Will Smith or Johnny Depp for Finding Neverland or Clint Eastwood for Million Dollar Baby. I haven't put much thought into it so I couldn't say who/what, if any, comedic snubs were that year, but I do find such drab dramatic nominations to be a case of 'filling out the ballot'.

One snub I recall is Bill Murray for Rushmore and I think that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of the greatest films of all time, never mind being funny as hell.

Sort of off the topic, but with regards to an earlier sentiment about blockbuster popcorn films being unlikely to garner any serious noms, I consider Uma Thurman for either of the Kill Bills a snub.
Old 03-26-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Annie Hall comes to mind as an example of just such a movie.
Old 03-26-07, 10:54 PM

Despite containing elements of a gross-out sex comedy, perhaps the 40 Year Old Virgin is the exception to the rule. I'm not a huge fan of it but I'll give you that its one of the more respectable films from the genre. So that's one. Someone suggested Stranger than Fiction, so that's two. But what are the other comedies that people here honestly feel were snubbed by the Oscars? I need more evidence especially when there are nominations from time to time. It's one thing to argue about one or two particular movies that people felt should have been recognized more, but you can't complain about an entire genre because those two got snubbed.
To me, it's not even so much about individual films or performances I felt may have been snubbed. It's about the fact that the Academy can only throw comedies a nomination, in any category, (as you said) from time to time.

They nominate good performances in bad dramatic films, why can't they ever nominate a good comedic performance in a less than stellar comedy? Or give comedic directors or screenwriters some credit by nominating them once in a while? ( *I know Borat was nominated for screenplay this year, but that's one of those from time to times.)

I'm not advocating special treatment, just equal.
Old 03-26-07, 11:11 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Good thing Kevin Kline didn't win for his character in A Fish Called Wanda. Oh, wait...
Old 03-27-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
Will Ferrell is God-damn hysterical. He and his friends have saved comedy, and he's the new Bill Murray.
God help us then, because comedy is doomed.

Ferrell is not a leading man. He was great on SNL and he's good in supporting roles, but he can not carry a movie on his own. Why? Because every character he plays is the same. He does not have the ability to bring life to a character. When you're watching one of his movies, you are always accutely aware that this is just the Will Ferrell character in a different costume. He can't make one character distinctly different from another.

As I've been fond of saying in the past...

Harrison Ford IS Han Solo
Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones
Harrison Ford IS Jack Ryan

Will Ferrell IS.... Will Ferrell

Same thing with Jim Carrey when he does a comedy, and Owen Wilson in every damned movie he appears in. They're always the same character.
Old 03-27-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
God help us then, because comedy is doomed.

Ferrell is not a leading man. He was great on SNL and he's good in supporting roles, but he can not carry a movie on his own. Why? Because every character he plays is the same. He does not have the ability to bring life to a character. When you're watching one of his movies, you are always accutely aware that this is just the Will Ferrell character in a different costume. He can't make one character distinctly different from another.

As I've been fond of saying in the past...

Harrison Ford IS Han Solo
Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones
Harrison Ford IS Jack Ryan

Will Ferrell IS.... Will Ferrell

Same thing with Jim Carrey when he does a comedy, and Owen Wilson in every damned movie he appears in. They're always the same character.
Actually, that's a bad example, since Han, Indy and Jack are pretty much the same character in different times/outfits. Harrison is pretty much a one-note actor - although he chooses to be so.

You'd been better off using Russell Crowe as an example - who immediately morphs into whomever he is playing.
Old 03-27-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Actually, that's a bad example, since Han, Indy and Jack are pretty much the same character in different times/outfits. Harrison is pretty much a one-note actor - although he chooses to be so.
Actually it's a great example, I think... because despite those characters being the same archetype, you don't watch Star Wars and think that you're seeing Indiana Jones or Harrison Ford - you see Han Solo. Despite the character basis being the same, Ford brings them to life in a different way.
Old 03-27-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But what are the other comedies that people here honestly feel were snubbed by the Oscars? I need more evidence especially when there are nominations from time to time. It's one thing to argue about one or two particular movies that people felt should have been recognized more, but you can't complain about an entire genre because those two got snubbed.
How about Bill Murray in Groundhog Day? How about that entire movie being snubbed?

What about Paul Giamatti for Private Parts? Who cares if Hollywood hates Howard Stern? He was brilliant as Pig Vomit.

I'm sure if I rack my brain, I could come up with a huge list of snubbed comedic performances in well received films(not schlock like your run-of-the-mill Will Ferrell comedy). Come to think of it, this is a pretty good idea for a thread. Most overlooked comedic performances of all-time.
Old 03-27-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dogmatica
Good thing Kevin Kline didn't win for his character in A Fish Called Wanda. Oh, wait...
We're back to the supporting argument here. Anybody can get a supporting nomination. But to be nominated for a lead, you need to be involved in a series drama.

Unless, of course, you're starring in a Woody Allen movie circa 1977 and nobody's made one of those for... oh... 30 years.
Old 03-27-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpatri
This isn't fair, but it's the way the system works. And as witnessed by the Eddie Murphy denial this year and Jim Carrey in years past, their collective mentality even prevents comedic actors from receiving awards and nominations because of other work (past or current). No matter how many times you criticize Jim Carrey for talking out of his ass, it doesn't make him any less talented.
I agree. I will never understand how Robin Williams didn't win for Dead Poet's Society but did for Good Will Hunting. Don't get me wrong, he was good in GWH, but he was on another level in DPS.

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
Frankly, there's a whole little movement that's come in, with Ferrell and Vince Vaughn and the Wilson brothers, and Steve Carrell, along with directors like Adam McKay and Judd Apatow, who are driving what can only be called a renaissance in American comedy. (Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David have to be credited as well, and before he was doing "The Office" Greg Daniels was turning out very funny stuff on "King of the Hill" for most of the 90's).

You may disparage goofy comedies, but, like all things, they can be done well and they can be done badly. "Ace Ventura," for example, is really bad. The stuff the Farrelly brothers do is really bad. "American Pie" is really bad.

"Anchorman," by contrast is incredibly good. "Talledega Nights" is not as good, but it is light years ahead of the ten minute shit scene in "Dumb and Dumber."
I was with you until you said "Anchorman," by contrast is incredibly good. Anchorman is just as ignorant as the other comedies you list. Maybe if you subbed in, say, "Swingers" for example I'd be with you all the way.

Originally Posted by mijorico
You've gotta lay off the assumptions. I didn't think Dodgeball was a very good comedy, either. Aside from My Cousin Vinny, I wouldn't consider any of those films to be, first and foremost, a comedy.
I have to agree. Forrest Gump and American Beauty comedies? I'd have to say, not the section I would check first at the video store for those films.