Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sequels That Feature Scenes from Previous Entry

Old 03-12-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sequels That Feature Scenes from Previous Entry

Maybe this is too narrow of a topic, but I was wondering if you know of any sequels that has a scene that was taken directly from the previous installment. I was thinking about this after watching Halloween H20 and apparently (as I have not seen Halloween: Resurrection) the ending in H20 was featured in Resurrection.

Have there been any other films like this? How about taking scenes filmed and twisting it using new angles?

Like I said, I don't know how many times this has been done, but I'm curious...
Old 03-12-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Back to the Future trilogy.
Old 03-12-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Rage: Carrie 2 had flashbacks to the prom scene of Carrie.

Porky's 2: The Next Day had scenes from the original during the opening credits. IIRC, Superman 2 did the same thing for it's opening credits.

However I can name a few films that reshot footage from the original. Of course the major example to this would be Back to the Future: Part II as well as the two Evil Dead sequels.

Continuing with the Halloween franchise, Halloween II refilmed the ending to Halloween with the camera pointing towards the front of the house as Michael falls after being shot by Dr. Loomis.
Old 03-12-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Road Warrior aka Mad Max 2
Old 03-12-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Die Hard With a Vengence reuses a shot of Rickman falling from the top of the Nakatomi building.

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 is mostly made up of footage from the first film!

Not necessarily a sequel but Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers returns to a scene from Fellowship of the Ring.

Austin Powers in Goldmember has clips of Michael Caine from another film altogether.

Stigmata reuses a shot from The Money Train.
Old 03-12-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Continuing with the Halloween franchise, Halloween II refilmed the ending to Halloween with the camera pointing towards the front of the house as Michael falls after being shot by Dr. Loomis.
In the new shot in Halloween 2, you can see that Michael is walking off a ramp on the balcony, not just falling off the balcony. Kind of an odd goof.
Old 03-12-07, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
That was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread. As if all the flashbacks weren't enough, there's actually a scene in a theater, where the movie playing on the screen is yet another scene from the first film.

Rob
Old 03-12-07, 02:20 AM
Banned

This was the one that I was gonna say. After really liking the first film I was so disappointed that 95% of the sequel was flashbacks from #1. What a joke of a movie.
Old 03-12-07, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember watching the overseas version of Jaws: The Revenge, and the shark's demise when it gets skewered by the boat wasn't shown. What you got instead was that wide angle shot of the shark blowing up from the original Jaws. It didn't make any sense, but then again, much of the graphic violence was toned down in this version.
Old 03-12-07, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday The 13th parts 2-IV

Part 3 was the first installment I ever saw and since it ends...
Spoiler:
at the shack with Jason getting stabbed in the back
, I always just assumed that's how Part 2 ended.

Imagine my surprise when I finally saw Part 2 in it's entirety. I definetly got a scare at the very end!
Old 03-12-07, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't Saw III have a few flashbacks from previous movies.

The Stigmata/Money train scene cracks me up every time...
Old 03-12-07, 04:47 AM

The Godfather: Part I and II
Old 03-12-07, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
The Back to the Future trilogy.
What's cool about the second movie is that they don't just have "flashbacks", they integrate footage of the original film into the storyline.
Old 03-12-07, 08:32 AM
Suspended

Why have so many of us seen the first two Silent Night Deadly Night movies? That was my answer too.
Old 03-12-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A Chinese Odyssey II - replays the ending of the first film, and later on in the film shows the beginning of the first film from a different perspective.

Desperado - reshot a scene from El Mariachi with Antonio Banderas.

The Lion King 1 1/2 - shows scenes from the first film from Timon and Pumbaa's perspective.
Old 03-12-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Superman Returns brings Jor-El in the Fortress of Solitude back from the 1st movie
Old 03-12-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Austin Powers in Goldmember has clips of Michael Caine from another film altogether.
The Limey uses footage of Terence Stamp in Poor Cow as flashback material. The film is like 30 years older so of course he looks younger in a way that make-up/effects could never have achieved, and the film looks so different that it works really well stylistically.
Old 03-12-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Trek: Generations uses a shot of the Klingon Bird Of Prey exploding that was used in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Then again, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country uses footage of the Enterprise that was already used in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. (I believe some footage from IV is used in Star Trek V as well).

Come to think of it, there's a lot of re-used SF stuff throughout the nine movies.
Old 03-12-07, 11:54 AM

Rocky II, III, IV, and V

Rocky Balboa doesn't have footage from its previous entry's fight scene, as does all the other Rocky sequels, but it does have clips from III and IV.

They asked Carl Weathers for rights to use his image from I and II in ROCKY BALBOA, but Sly Stallone said he asked for too much money. He jokingly referred to him as "Apollo Greed" (from the Ain't It Cool News Q & A with Stallone).
Old 03-12-07, 11:57 AM

Terminator 2 featured a guy showing pictures of Arnold attacking the police station in The Terminator.

Airplane II: The Sequel had shots from the original.
Old 03-12-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw III definitely did.

And I am constantly reminded of those episodes of Arrested Development where they used Carl Weathers (showing scenes from Predator) and Charlize Theron (Monster).
Old 03-12-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Back to the Future is a cool one. Also - not exactly a scene but the comic montage from Spider-man 2 is really awesome.
Old 03-12-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What is it about cheapo horror sequels and re-using footage. Like "Silent Night, Deadly Night 2", "Boogeyman 2" consists mostly of reused footage from the first one. And Wes Craven's "The Hills Have Eyes 2" uses extensive flashbacks to the first movie to pad the running time. Hell, even the family dog has a flashback scene.
Old 03-12-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Karate Kid II began with a scene filmed to be the original's ending, but eventually cut out of the first.
Old 03-12-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Phantasm and Phantasm 2 overlaps, sharing some scenes.. I'm pretty sure there is a flashback or two.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.