Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

M. Night's The Green Effect

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-14-07, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below is a link to Latino Review's thoughts on the early script. I gotta say, I wasn't a big fan of the Village or Lady in the Water, but I will still probably see any movie he makes. This one sounds interesting.

WARNING! SPOILERS!!!

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=49
Old 02-14-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
i read that no one wants this script.
Old 02-14-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

His next movies is Masters of the Universe, apparently. Just odd.
Old 02-14-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After The Village and Lady in the Water, I'm surprised there is still interest.
Old 02-14-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. This sounds TERRIBLE.
Old 02-14-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quick non spoiler synapsis anyone?
Old 02-14-07, 07:52 PM

Spoiler:
Nature is releasing some toxin into the air that is making people kill themselves.
Old 02-14-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think it sounds terrible. I think it sounds like it could be very interesting, however, it's not a surprise that it's having a hard time getting bought by a studio. And not just because it's M. Night, it's probably because it's a very dark concept for a studio film
Spoiler:
(people all over the world start committing suicide in violent ways in what appears to be a "wiping out" of the human race)
Old 02-15-07, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
In true form you can't really judge the film based on half of a script. Mainly due to M. Night's films having interesting first half of the films that turn to total shit.
Old 02-15-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not only do I not ever want to see another M. Night movie, I still want my money back for "The Village".
Old 02-15-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Skimming through that script overview, it doesn't sound terribly unique (the whole involuntary violence angle has popped up in quite a few stories over the past few years) but I have yet to see a Shyamalan movie I didn't love, so I'm certainly interested in following this one.
Old 02-15-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The Village and Lady in the Water were not as bad as its detractors made it out to be. If this was a movie done by anyone but M. Night, there wouldn't be as much hate for them.

(I personally have only really really liked Signs but his work is interesting enough that I am willing to give it a shot).
Old 02-15-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
His next movies is Masters of the Universe, apparently. Just odd.

According to an early script He-Man finds out he is a ghost.
Old 02-15-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
The Village and Lady in the Water were not as bad as its detractors made it out to be. If this was a movie done by anyone but M. Night, there wouldn't be as much hate for them.

(I personally have only really really liked Signs but his work is interesting enough that I am willing to give it a shot).
Minor spoilers below . . .

I agree with you about The Villiage. In fact, I think that film had great potential if it was just edited a little differently. IMO, he gave away the first twist 30 minutes too early. Simply re-working everything from the barn scene onward would have made it a much more suspenseful film. Even though it was his worst film, until Lady in the Water, it has too many cool attributes for me to write it off completely. I just hate thinking about what could have been with a simple trip the the editing room. (I'm sure test screening audiences and Disney told him the same thing, but at that point in time was about when Night's ego got out of hand.)

Lady in the Water, on the other hand, was pathetic. The entire movie critic character just showed that Night was a crybaby that can't take anyone talking trash about his films. I consider myself a fan of his, but Lady made me think that Disney was right to pass on the film. I can only hope Night doesn't become too arrogant to think that all the notes he gets from the studios are bad. Some of them might actually make his films better.

For his latest script, I think the whole suicide angle is what is turning studios away. If it was some other form of plague that was killing off the human race, I might be down with the concept. Or even if it was another director, I might be up for giving it a shot. But in Night's hands, I just think he'd make each death way too overdramatic. Lady in the Water was just that bad. I wouldn't invest money in him any more.
Old 02-15-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by treszoks
Spoiler:
Nature is releasing some toxin into the air that is making people kill themselves.
Wasn't this an episode of STAR TREK or some sci-fi series? Sounds REALLY familar to me.
Old 02-15-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm done with M. Night, but if he releases a decent film I'll see it but, maybe, he's just not that good to be solely focused on screenwriting and directing genre flicks.

I would like him to direct something based off another screenwriter.
Old 02-15-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Latino Review just posted an update! Apparently the reason that no studio wants to touch this is that
Spoiler:
M. Night is insisting on playing the part of the Earth!
Old 02-15-07, 01:04 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I thought his next movie was going to be Life of Pi?
Old 02-15-07, 01:40 PM
Banned

I think it sounds kind of cool. I have nothing against him so far, but I've also never seen Lady in the Water.
Old 02-15-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The giant twist ending is..

Spoiler:
After sitting thru another one of his crap movies you will want to kill yourself
Old 02-15-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought his next movie was going to be Life of Pi?
Jean-Pierre Jeunet is supposed to be directing Life of Pi.

As for Shaymalan, I thought a whole bunch of recent articles said he was doing a live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender?
Old 02-15-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
M. Night's The Green Effect = his name suckers people into theaters and takes their money to watch his crappy movies
Old 02-15-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I guess Thomas M. Disch should just ready the legal papers right now since The Genocides sounds like this movie.

Disch's brief 1965 novel finds Earth's cities demolished and the surface overrun by a species of alien flora that grow as high as 600', which are draining off the world's water supply and threatening human existence. A Midwest farmer and small group, however, are devising a plan to do a little weeding.
Old 02-15-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For M. Night to pull me back into the theaters to see his movies and give him another blind chance he would have to get on the ball and finally make Breakable and Broken, which would complete the trilogy he set out to make with Unbreakable.
Old 02-16-07, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
The giant twist ending is..

Spoiler:
After sitting thru another one of his crap movies you will want to kill yourself

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.