Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Two 'Star Wars' questions

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 09:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah, yeah, these questions never seem to go away (sorry) but I have two:

I may have asked this question before (so apologies, up front), but I don't remember the answer:

imdb states:

Several publicity shots exist of a "missing" moment during Luke's battle with the Rancor, in which he leaps and hangs by his fingers from the grate above and Jawa's trample his hands.

I thought this scene was actually restored only for NBC's network television cut of the film. Am I only thinking I saw this scene on tv, or can anyone support this claim?

Also, I thought Lucas was going to release the 3D DLP versions of the series to theatres, is this not happening, (or is it scheduled for later in the year) - what's the story?
Old 02-06-07, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) never seen. I actually have the original NBC promo on VHS and watched it when it was on. nope.

2) it's on hold, afaik.
Old 02-06-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen the photos of Luke hanging from the grate. There is one in the ROTJ storybook. Never read of the footage being put back into the film. I'm sure if it had, there would be a lot of Star Wars fans yelling for it.
Old 02-06-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More on the Luke/Rancor scene from T'bone's Star Wars Universe (with several pics and a storyboard)
Old 02-07-07, 12:42 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully they'll have more deleted scenes in the 30th anniversary edition (if it comes out)
Old 02-07-07, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
The way movies are shot, they shoot a lot more footage than is used in the final cut.

So it's not unlikely that things were shot different ways (like the gun scene) and then edited a different way.
Old 02-08-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Hopefully they'll have more deleted scenes in the 30th anniversary edition (if it comes out)
IF it comes out? George Lucas loves the money my friend! He's like freakin' Scrooge McDuck. This thing is coming out on DVD, HDDVD, Blu-Ray, VHS, Betamax, and he'd even draw it on the walls of a cave if it meant a few more bucks. He'll tweak it once again, call all six movies "The Saga Edition," charge $199.99 for it and I'll buy two, thank you very much.
Old 02-08-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MWB
This is the kind of stuff I want to see on the DVDs.
Old 02-08-07, 09:46 AM
Banned

Shouldn't we have heard by now if Lucas was releasing a 30th Anniversary dvd box set of all 6 movies? If memory serves me correct the original Star Wars came out summer of 1977 right? I was only 10 at the time but I remember going to see in nice weather..I am starting to have doubts that we will get a complete box set this year....
Old 02-08-07, 09:52 AM
Banned

It's definitely coming out. They've already distributed promotional tie-in material to companies that mentioned a boxed set.

They don't have to announce it till probably next month.
Old 02-08-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by madcougar
IF it comes out? George Lucas loves the money my friend! He's like freakin' Scrooge McDuck.
No doubt due to losing the farm on Howard the Duck.

I would imagine one of the major hold ups on the 3D DLP versions release would be partly due to the lack of theaters that would be able to present them. Though I'd actually consider flying somewhere to see that, and I'm not a huge Star Wars fanboy.
Old 02-08-07, 10:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan

I would imagine one of the major hold ups on the 3D DLP versions release would be partly due to the lack of theaters that would be able to present them. Though I'd actually consider flying somewhere to see that, and I'm not a huge Star Wars fanboy.
that was Lucas' first excuse, but with the rollout of next month's Disney's 3D version of Meet the Robinsons that release will up the 3D screens to 500 nationwide.
Old 02-09-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
that was Lucas' first excuse, but with the rollout of next month's Disney's 3D version of Meet the Robinsons that release will up the 3D screens to 500 nationwide.
Which means what for us urbanites, Giles? An hour's car ride out to some Dulles multiplex.
Old 02-09-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
I doubt it. GL will probably wait for the 35th or 40th anniversary editions for that.
Old 02-10-07, 12:46 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I'll buy what he releases.....fucking Lucas