Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blades of Glory

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
I saw this last night as well...pretty funny for the most part, some stupid moments of course...probably the gayest movie I've seen since Brokeback Mountain

Grade: B-
Old 03-29-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally agree. I still like Will Ferrel but Heder is getting freaking annoying.
couldn't agree more i just can't stand Heder, Napoleon Dynamite wasn't good.
I also can't stand Amy Poehler, she annoy's the hell out of me-actually the whole SNL cast annoy's the hell out of me for some reason.
'Stranger than Fiction' was such a great movie & its sad to see Will Ferrell go back to making stupid movies like this.
Old 03-30-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this movie looks horrible. its funny how they made Heder up to look like Owen Wilson though. he must not have been available for the role.
Old 03-30-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I'm seeing it for Will (who I do find funny in doses), Jenna Fischer, and Will Arnett.
Old 03-30-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by caiman
And the movie looks like 50% of the humor is going to come from gay jokes. Hey, he's touching his crotch!!! HILARIOUS!
I sometimes wonder what in the hell straight guys are going to do for humor once just implying someone is gay isn't good enough for a laugh anymore. This and Wild Hogs are all about lazy gay panic jokes.
Old 03-30-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
stiller or wilson should of played heders part.
Old 03-30-07, 12:21 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
I sometimes wonder what in the hell straight guys are going to do for humor once just implying someone is gay isn't good enough for a laugh anymore. This and Wild Hogs are all about lazy gay panic jokes.
I can't wait 'til you see the trailer for I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry...
Old 03-30-07, 12:23 PM
Banned

My local newspaper gave this movie 5 stars.......
Old 03-30-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Instead of Heder...I would have loved to see Kattan so that he and Ferrell could be reunited since I guilty enjoyed Night at the Roxbury
Old 03-30-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I disliked Napoleon Dynamite but i enjoyed Heder in The Benchwarmers and School for Scoundrals. This looks funny to me
Old 03-30-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
I can't wait 'til you see the trailer for I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry...
The gay blogosphere seems to be giving Sandler a pass on his movie so far. Of course, no one's seen much of it yet. He has a generally gay-friendly reputation.

On the other hand, I find the premise itself fairly offensive, along the same lines as Soul Man, with C.Thomas Howell in blackface touting reverse-discrimination... It's a sad disservice to base a movie on the premise that it would be *easier* for a gay couple--when 30+ states have made us constitutionally 2nd-class and denied all of the basic rights that these guys are pretending we do have... Makes it harder to fight for your basic rights when idiots all over the place think you're getting preferential treatment due to some thoughtless and brainless comedy.
Old 03-30-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts
Jenna Fischer has a nude scene in this?
Old 03-30-07, 01:31 PM

The gay blogosphere seems to be giving Sandler a pass on his movie so far. Of course, no one's seen much of it yet. He has a generally gay-friendly reputation.

On the other hand, I find the premise itself fairly offensive, along the same lines as Soul Man, with C.Thomas Howell in blackface touting reverse-discrimination... It's a sad disservice to base a movie on the premise that it would be *easier* for a gay couple--when 30+ states have made us constitutionally 2nd-class and denied all of the basic rights that these guys are pretending we do have... Makes it harder to fight for your basic rights when idiots all over the place think you're getting preferential treatment due to some thoughtless and brainless comedy.
Those idiots will probably think that anyways, I doubt those type will even bother seeing a "gay" movie.
Old 03-30-07, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by printerati
Jenna Fischer has a nude scene in this?
I don't think so since it's rated PG-13 for crude and sexual humor, language, a comic violent image and some drug references.
Old 03-30-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts
Perhaps it got cut. From a CHUD interview posted 3/27/07:

We get to see a bit of a different side of you in this film -

The naked side of me.

Yeah. Are you thinking Maxim spread anytime soon?

I don't think you'll see me in Maxim or Stuff or anything like that. I feel like it always looks so desperate. Its so 'like me like me'. If I'm gonna take my clothes off, it's going to be for comedic effect.

Was it nerve-racking to take your clothes off for this movie?

No. On screen its two minutes but on set it was twelve hours and twelve hours of constant boob play, I mean it was great for the first three, four or five hours but then, I mean seriously, give a girl a break. But Will was a nice guy about it.

So Will was nice when it came to touching your breasts?

Definitely. If you have an opportunity for Will to play with your boobs, he's a master.
Old 03-30-07, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by gotrice487
Instead of Heder...I would have loved to see Kattan so that he and Ferrell could be reunited since I guilty enjoyed Night at the Roxbury

i dont know...altho i loved that pair. i think heder pulls off the younger skater role (from what i can tell in the previews). like he is the new young guy on the scene and ferrell is the old guy fading...seems like a good match up to me. looks like a bunch of good reviews came out today. i think i am gonna see it tonight or tomorrow.
Old 03-30-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait til its out on dvd and i can maximize the pause feature on my dvd player.
Old 03-30-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back, liked it a lot. I'm a huge Anchorman & Old School fan but wasn't crazy about Taladega Nights. Blades got some pretty good laughs out of me though... I'd reccomend it for the Ferrell fan.
7.5*/10
*+.5 Edit... I've been quoting this all day.

Last edited by MasterCXtreme; 03-30-07 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-30-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Overall I'm sure it'll be #1 this weekend. This is a really well put together comedy and its worth the price os admission for some of the outfits Will Arnett has on.
It's gonna blow right up the ass of the competition.
Old 03-30-07, 03:53 PM

I'll just be seeing it for
Spoiler:
Old 03-30-07, 05:43 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Exactly. I saw a trailer for it the other day and I was verklempt. The idea that it would actually be made was just galling...
Old 03-30-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to derail the Chuck and Larry discussion, but I figured I would give my impressions of Blades of Glory.

Blades follows the tradition of other Frat Pack (shudder...God, how I hate that term) films like Anchorman, Dodgeball and Talladega Nights; take a vague subject (newsanchors, niche sports) or film subgenre (Root for the Underdogs, A Fallen Hero's Return to Glory, etc.) that is ripe for satire and exploit the everloving hell out of it.

Unfortunately, just like Talladega Nights, something feels off about the movie, like the makers (and Ferrell, for that matter) are holding back, always maintaining a polite arms-length distance from the material, rather than plunging headfirst into it; that kamikaze kind of attitude, which worked wonders on Anchorman, Dodgeball and Old School, is sorely missed here. On top of that, potentially interesting characters like the ones played by Romany Malco (as a choreographer) and Nick Swardson (as a particularly helpful stalker) are introduced, have one or two brief scenes, and then are promptly shoved off to the sidelines, only to be seen again for reaction shots. Outside of Ferrell and Heder, virtually everyone else in the cast is given little to do.

But to its credit, the pacing of the movie is good; at 90 minutes and change, the film never overstays its welcome, and the killer cast helps the admittedly weak first 40 minutes or so go by painlessly. The movie kicks into high gear in its second half though, with some pretty big laughs, including a novel approach to the standard chase scene, some bits of absurd surrealism, a couple of welcome cameos, and a killer Tron reference. And hey, I really can't dislike a movie that makes inspired use of Queen's "Flash's Theme."

So yes, Blades of Glory is a funny movie, but don't go in expecting something gut-busting; it's strictly a second-tier Ferrell movie, and there's really nothing new here. This is even more evident in the performances of Ferrell and Heder: the former does a minor variation of his pompous-but-likeable jackass character in Anchorman, and the latter does a more feminine--but thankfully far less annoying--riff on his Napoleon Dynamite character.

(BTW, I never really noticed any "LOL, LOOK AT TEH GAYZ!!!!111"-type jokes in the movie. Ferrell's brand of lowbrow humor is usually a bit more highbrow than that . And for those curious about Jenna Fischer: no, she isn't nude, and her lingerie scene is pretty brief, but appreciated nonetheless.)
Old 03-30-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Twin Dongs!"

I didn't think it was perfect, but it delivered for the most part. Not as classic as Talladega or Anchorman, but has some great lines in it and was very entertaining. 3 1/2 out of 5.
Old 03-31-07, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved this movie. I give this 4.5 out of 5. IT was excellent.
Old 03-31-07, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the movie a lot. It was really funny.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.