Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office Thread - 12/08 to 12/10

Old 12-09-06, 03:27 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 8,494
Weekend Box Office Thread - 12/08 to 12/10

We've finally got a new #1 and #2.

Friday's Estimates

1. APOCALYPTO $4,950,000
2. THE HOLIDAY $4,400,000
3. HAPPY FEET $3,075,000
4. BLOOD DIAMOND $2,675,000
5. CASINO ROYALE $2,635,000
6. DEJA VU $1,825,000
7. UNACCOMPANIED MINORS $1,550,000
8. THE NATIVITY STORY $1,450,000
9. DECK THE HALLS $1,020,000
10. BORAT $790,000
Joe Molotov is offline  
Old 12-09-06, 04:07 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,632
I figured Blood Diamond would have opened higher, but it was released in fewer theaters than any of the other wide new releases.
dcprules is offline  
Old 12-09-06, 04:29 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: maryland
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted by dcprules
I figured Blood Diamond would have opened higher, but it was released in fewer theaters than any of the other wide new releases.
the movie guy on E! (ben lyons) was talking trash about, but i still want to go. i figured mel's film would still open strong even after the drunken incident.
dpz301 is offline  
Old 12-09-06, 05:27 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Columbia, MD, USA
Posts: 11,135
I have to say I'm surprised about APOCALYPTO. Subtitled films about Mayans? If Mel Gibson didn't make it, it sounds like an arthouse film that wouldn't even get a wide release and most people wouldn't care about.
Jericho is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 03:32 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Borat is still in the top ten. Way to fucking go, Sasha Baron Cohen. I'm glad you finally made your impact.

-JP
NatrlBornThrllr is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 06:43 AM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Keep in mind Christians who saw THE PASSION are going just to supprot Mel Gibson and also the huge Mexican population is going also goin to see APOCALYPTO.
wm lopez is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 07:18 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: greenwood, in
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Keep in mind Christians who saw THE PASSION are going just to supprot Mel Gibson and also the huge Mexican population is going also goin to see APOCALYPTO.

the Christians that i work with all sworn him off after the drunken incident, just like they swore off tom cruise for "taking advantage of" katie....
sixerb is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 08:21 AM
  #8  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,653
Keep in mind Christians who saw THE PASSION are going just to supprot Mel Gibson and also the huge Mexican population is going also goin to see APOCALYPTO.

--------------------------------------------------------
Insert obvious joke here: "Which won't be reflected in the box office if they choose to go to a drive-in!"

badump dump.
TGM is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 10:33 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
matome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 12,304
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have to say I'm surprised about APOCALYPTO. Subtitled films about Mayans? If Mel Gibson didn't make it, it sounds like an arthouse film that wouldn't even get a wide release and most people wouldn't care about.
You're right on that one.
matome is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 11:36 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Saturday:

1. HAPPY FEET WARNER BROS. 3,650 6,088,000 1,668 -25% 134,190,000
2. APOCALYTPO MGM 2,465 5,724,000 2,322 n/a 10,594,000
3. HOLIDAY, THE PARAMOUNT 2,610 5,200,000 1,992 n/a 9,605,000
4. CASINO ROYALE SONY 3,161 4,132,000 1,307 -38% 126,905,000
5. BLOOD DIAMOND WARNER BROS. 1,910 3,650,000 1,911 n/a 6,345,000
6. UNACCOMPANIED MINORS WARNER BROS. 2,774 2,761,000 995 n/a 4,341,000
7. DEJA VU BVI 2,742 2,757,000 1,005 -45% 51,625,000
8. NATIVITY STORY, THE NEW LINE 3,083 2,196,000 712 -20% 13,955,000
9. DECK THE HALLS 20TH CENTURY FOX 2,766 1,905,000 689 -39% 29,156,000
10. SANT CLAUSE 3: THE ESCAPE CLAUSE BVI 1,594 1,545,000 969 -33% 76,245,000
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 11:42 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,446
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have to say I'm surprised about APOCALYPTO. Subtitled films about Mayans? If Mel Gibson didn't make it, it sounds like an arthouse film that wouldn't even get a wide release and most people wouldn't care about.
I'm pretty sure you can say that about most films (replacing Mel Gibson with another Producer/Director)
lordwow is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 12:05 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Weekend Estimates:

1 N Apocalypto BV $14,166,000 - 2,465 - $5,746 $14,166,000 $40 1
2 N The Holiday Sony $13,500,000 - 2,610 +1,810 $5,172 $13,500,000 $85 1
3 1 Happy Feet WB $12,718,000 -27.5% 3,650 -154 $3,484 $137,738,000 $100 4
4 2 Casino Royale Sony $8,800,000 -41.8% 3,161 -225 $2,783 $128,894,000 $150 4
5 N Blood Diamond WB $8,515,000 - 1,910 +1,205 $4,458 $8,515,000 - 1
6 N Unaccompanied Minors WB $6,205,000 - 2,775 - $2,236 $6,205,000 $25 1
7 3 Deja Vu BV $6,070,000 -44.6% 2,742 -366 $2,213 $53,046,000 $75 3
8 4 The Nativity Story NL $5,350,000 -31.8% 3,083 -100 $1,735 $15,500,000 $35 2
9 5 Deck the Halls Fox $3,925,000 -41.2% 2,766 -439 $1,419 $30,076,000 - 3
10 6 The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause BV $3,311,000 -32.3% 2,226 -391 $1,487 $77,240,000 - 6
11 7 Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan Fox $2,565,000 -46.0% 1,594 -643 $1,609 $120,260,000 $18 6
12 9 Stranger Than Fiction Sony $1,500,000 -55.3% 1,266 -538 $1,184 $39,205,000 $30 5
13 8 Turistas FoxA $1,335,000 -62.7% 1,572 +2 $849 $5,875,000 $10 2
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 12:33 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 8,494
Say what you will about Mel Gibson, but he's still got some boxoffice mojo (no pun intended) working for him. I know they're not exactly the same kind of movie, but if I had seen the trailers for The Fountain and Apocalypto back to back without knowing anything about them, I would have thought The Fountain would be the bigger draw. The Fountain might not even make $14 Million all together.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 12-10-06 at 12:36 PM.
Joe Molotov is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 02:23 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 697
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Keep in mind Christians who saw THE PASSION are going just to supprot Mel Gibson
That's not true at all. Christians who saw The Passion went because it was a film about Christ. To say that they'd all flock to see "Mad Max IV", or whatever, just because it had Gibson's name on it, is silly.
Shinobi is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 02:56 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MN -> TX -> SoCal
Posts: 1,592
Originally Posted by sixerb
the Christians that i work with all sworn him off after the drunken incident, just like they swore off tom cruise for "taking advantage of" katie....
I consider myself pretty into Jesus, but I am cutting Mel some slack. Like others have said, he's human like the rest of us, he makes mistakes, he's apologized, get over it.

Christians that have "sworn him off" because of that need to maybe reevaluate their own lives...I'm sure some things they've/we've all done, if in the media, would make us all just as guilty.

Brent_MN is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 03:04 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Columbia, MD, USA
Posts: 11,135
Originally Posted by lordwow
I'm pretty sure you can say that about most films (replacing Mel Gibson with another Producer/Director)

I don't know about that. Very few people have real box office draw. I mean even Martin Scorsese hasn't exactly lit up the box office. I'd think very few people could really have enough pull to make a movie like Apocalypto successful (and a lot of people wouldn't. even try to make such a movie, i.e. Jerry Bruckheimer)
Jericho is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 03:06 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Columbia, MD, USA
Posts: 11,135
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Keep in mind Christians who saw THE PASSION are going just to supprot Mel Gibson and also the huge Mexican population is going also goin to see APOCALYPTO.
I'm not sure I buy any of this. I mean that's like saying all Democrats will support George Clooney or Ben Affleck. Why would Christians care about a Mayan film? Simply because the director is the same religion? And Mexicans? While some Mayans are from present day Mexico, the Mayans are more Central America. This isn't the Aztecs...
Jericho is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 03:10 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
A $14 million opening from over 2400 theaters doesn't show me huge support.
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 03:24 PM
  #19  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,447
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
A $14 million opening from over 2400 theaters doesn't show me huge support.
considering it beat all other movies without controversy, i'd say it is support nonetheless, but even beyond support, people might just have wanted to see a kick-ass action movie (that is why i want to see it).
OldBoy is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 03:28 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,508
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Keep in mind Christians who saw THE PASSION are going just to supprot Mel Gibson
The reviews I've read on Christian sites have actually been quite negative.

Though it was number one, it was not exactly impressive. I'm sure the news will spin it both ways depending on how they want it to be portrayed. "#1 movie! Bigger than Braveheart!" This thing will probably top out at 50mill - neither a success or failure.
Artman is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 09:59 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,849
Does it seem like this weekend is really, really small?

I don't know if it was because 007 Feet's been doing so well or because there was no Narnia-sized blockbuster this weekend, but it seems underwhelming. Like a January B.O.
The Bus is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 10:12 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,630
Originally Posted by Jericho
I'm not sure I buy any of this. I mean that's like saying all Democrats will support George Clooney or Ben Affleck. Why would Christians care about a Mayan film? Simply because the director is the same religion? And Mexicans? While some Mayans are from present day Mexico, the Mayans are more Central America. This isn't the Aztecs...
Thank you. I was hoping that someone would respond this way. It also bugs me when people automatically think that when someone speaks Spanish they are Mexican. The movie Apocalypto was filmed in the Mayan ruins in northern Guatemala. I've been there before and they are beautiful. They also filmed part of Star Wars there as well.
dsa_shea is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 10:23 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 8,494
Originally Posted by The Bus
Does it seem like this weekend is really, really small?

I don't know if it was because 007 Feet's been doing so well or because there was no Narnia-sized blockbuster this weekend, but it seems underwhelming. Like a January B.O.
I have a feeling Eragon's going be big next weekend just because there's not really much else out there.
Joe Molotov is offline  
Old 12-10-06, 11:07 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,241
Originally Posted by The Bus
Does it seem like this weekend is really, really small?

I don't know if it was because 007 Feet's been doing so well or because there was no Narnia-sized blockbuster this weekend, but it seems underwhelming. Like a January B.O.
Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but isn't early December usually very soft.
clemente is offline  
Old 12-11-06, 12:23 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 8,494
Originally Posted by clemente
Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but isn't early December usually very soft.
This week last year was when Chronicles of Narnia opened at over $60 Million.
Joe Molotov is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.