Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What makes Borat funny?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What makes Borat funny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 12:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Holysmoker
I saw him on SNL and I understand that there is a movie soon to be released, but didn't Andy Kaufman do this schtick better? Is the political controversy making this more that what it really is?
His recent SNL and talk show appearances are some of the lesser bits that he's done lately (although it's still pretty funny). I think he's been so overexposed and has been doing the same schtick during recent appearances that it's wearing a bit thin. He's still hilarious and his bits on the Ali G show from a few years back are classics, I think people who are only discovering him now may not find him as funny due to this overexposure. I'm still looking forward to the movie, it's one of the only films I'll be seeing at the theater instead of waiting for DVD.
Old 11-02-06, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Nobody will ever match Andy Kaufman's brilliance, but Sasha Baron Cohen is at least worthy of comparison(unlike say someone like Tom Green).

At least with Sasha, though, we're in on the joke with him. With Kaufman, the joke was only known to him and his brother.
Old 11-02-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bareit
At least with Sasha, though, we're in on the joke with him. With Kaufman, the joke was only known to him and his brother.
Along with Bob Zmuda and Jerry Lawler. Had it not been for Man On the Moon getting made, they might still be keeping their silence.
Old 11-02-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love him because his chram is fat like can of Pringles.
Old 11-02-06, 03:57 PM

I actually think Borat's funniest moments are when he's displaying his mannerisms...kind of like when Jon Winters does an imitation. The uncomfortable moments make me just that.
Old 11-02-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Borat is funny in small doses. I'm sure five minutes of it on the Ali G show was great, but I can't see how the same joke can play over and over for an entire movie.

I also don't find anything funny about making people uncomfortable, although I highly suspect that they're in on the joke and are just acting.
Old 11-02-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everyone I know who has seen a sneak preview has said it's the funniest movie they've seen in a long time.....if not ever. They say it's non-stop Borat and better/funnier than anything we've seen so far. My expectations are high and I doubt I will be disappointed.
Old 11-02-06, 07:11 PM

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9sSCVgJKoA of Borat at the Toronto International Film Festival when the projector malfunctions and they can't show the film. He's hilarious when he's just improvising with the crowd rather than doing prewritten material.
Old 11-02-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

About as funny as Perfect Strangers, which was as funny as a kick in the groin area.
Old 11-03-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the amount of borat hate in this thread is absurd.
Old 11-03-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Chew
I heard in the last day or two that since Borat is not tracking well in much of the heartland, the number of theaters showing the movie is being cut back.

I laugh at some of the stuff, but there's nothing here (to me) that looks like it'll be "the funniest movie ever made" like some of the ads are claiming.

I've seen the movie many many times now and I can say that it doesn't get old at all.

As for not tracking well, Fox flinched and decided to only have it have a 800 theater release and expand it out after the first week. Hoping that word of mouth will pick it up and I can tell you, it will. This is one hell of a funny film.
Old 11-03-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xraybies
I think he's been so overexposed and has been doing the same schtick during recent appearances that it's wearing a bit thin.
I've been following his every move, and I agree. I still laugh, but it's predictable. You gotta hand it to the guy for being consistent with his stories though. I think FOX has waited far far too long to release this film. It should have hit theaters a month ago. Now Baron Cohen has done sooo much press he's probably getting sick of himself. I don't blame him.

I understand though that the stuff in the film is not at all what we've been seeing in his media appearances, so I cannot wait. I am prepared to laugh harder than I've ever laughed.

Despite what we think is overexposure, we much be a small percentage, because like someone else said, FOX is scaling back the theaters big time. Word of mouth, of course, will be huge. Napoleon Dynamite comes to mind, as far as that goes. I saw that a good month at an art house before I started hearing everyone and their grandma quoting it. Assholes.

Originally Posted by Draven
The whole "only doing press in character" schtick is one of the stupidest, most self-involved things I've ever seen.
some in the industry call this "creating buzz." I think if he was doing press as himself, not as many people would identify him with the movie, whereas they see him as Borat doing press, they can get a glimpse into what his shtick is and maybe are more inclined to check out the film rather than based their going on the trailer alone. maybe not.
Old 11-03-06, 12:49 PM

Currently Borat is at 95% on Rotten Tomatoes with almost 90 reviews, 100% cream of the crop. If Borat is not your cup of tea, Larry the Cable Guy's Health Inspector is available for rental.
Old 11-03-06, 12:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Currently Borat is at 95% on Rotten Tomatoes with almost 90 reviews, 100% cream of the crop.
Wow. That's HUGE for a comedy.
Old 11-03-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brent_MN
Now Baron Cohen has done sooo much press he's probably getting sick of himself. I don't blame him.
Hear ya. We just interviewed him on Headline News and as I was watching him get up to leave I thought about how tired he must be telling the same jokes over and over. I'm sure after this heavy publicity push he's going to take a long vacation... and nowhere near an Eastern Bloc country.
Old 11-03-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I don't find his anti-semitism funny.
Considering he's Jewish, and it's done moreso to point out everyone else's prejudices...
Old 11-03-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Currently Borat is at 95% on Rotten Tomatoes with almost 90 reviews, 100% cream of the crop. If Borat is not your cup of tea, Larry the Cable Guy's Health Inspector is available for rental.
Oh good lord.

I wouldn't touch Health Inspector with a ten-foot pole but that doesn't mean I should automatically love a movie that is basically a professional comedian fucking with people.

I HATE "reality TV", mostly because it seems to be enjoyed by a vast majority of fans only when the participants are behaving at their worst. This appears to be something similar. And while I have found moments in the trailer amusing, I doubt I could spend an entire movie enthralled with "I can't believe what those people just said. What are this next group of stupid people going to say to him now? Oh my stars and garters, that's HI-LARIOUS. He just illustrated their prejudices and shortcomings in a hilarious way. Oh that Borat, what zany adventures will he get himself into next???"
Old 11-03-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting how many people don't find him funny. Make sure you stay away from Phil Hendrie as well (RIP his radio show).
Old 12-10-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I saw this movie today and it was really funny. The only thing I don't agree with is his use of the Romanian people to portray Kazakhstan without telling them what was really going on. If I were him I would give them a few million dollars to improve their village and their lives. That is the least he could do. For all of the Americans in the film that looked like asses I don't feel sorry for them one bit. He pulled the curtain down on the bigotry and hate that so many people like to hide and show only when they feel "safe" and "nobody will really know". Sacha please give the Romanian people some of the money and then we can all laugh at the American hate mongers who showed their real side in this film.
Old 12-11-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
dsa_shea: There's a separate review tread for the film. This is the thread where you bash Borat and predit failure for his film.
Old 12-11-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
dsa_shea: There's a separate review tread for the film. This is the thread where you bash Borat and predit failure for his film.
Can you post the link for that thread? I searched far and wide and was unable to find it. Thanks!!!
Old 12-11-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It was a bit confusing because all the reviews were in the trailer thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=469054
Old 12-11-06, 02:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so was the wrestling scene censored by the filmmakers or mandated by the MPAA? I was choking on my popcorn during that scene.
Old 12-11-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am not a fan of Borat, Ali G or Cohen. I did watch Borat and i thought it was not that bad. It definately showed the worst side of Americans. It makes me laugh that all these people that displayed their true colours are now taking him to court. If they act like a **** then they deserve to get fucked. I don't think that the film is a classic in any way, shape or form. I remember watching the "11 o'clock Show" back in England where Cohen first started with Borat and Ali G. He got to be very famous there because of it, but i always found it to be just one joke stretched very thin. However, i did find the section where he and his manager run naked through the hotel and into the conference hall very funny and repulsive at the same time. Plus anytime i see a group of stuck up feminists getting the piss ripped out of them is cool.
Old 12-12-06, 02:47 PM

the wrestling was the greatest thing i ever saw

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.