Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Smoking Aces trailer (from the director of Narc) (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Smoking Aces trailer (from the director of Narc) (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
This felt like a blind buy for me and I wasn't disappointed. Fun,fun fun for me.

Laughed uncontrollably when "Bailbonds" was talking to the Tremor about heaven!

Absolutely loved those closing credits too.
Old 04-26-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnahan didn't know where to go with this movie. Sometimes it got too serious (with the feds), sometimes over the top (Tremors, shootout). It was inconsistent. Some of the characters were annoying (Karate Kid, Piven crying all the time, Mission Impossible dude) and some of the subplots just didn't need to be there. Affleck's friend surviving and getting revenge, who cares.

Setup was too long for the big battle that was only about 10 minutes long(good sequence before the attack though). You have cops shooting their handguns and shotguns at a sniper. I wouldn't have bitched but then you have an ending that's pretty damn serious, it's a different story. The dark ending somewhat saved the movie. I'd give this movie a "C".
Old 06-19-07, 03:56 AM
Suspended

I watched the hd-dvd of this at my buddys place. Worst movie ever. So much fluff and the ending literally had me saying "what the ****" outloud, it was that ridiculous. I think they had the actors and the premise to really make a amazing movie and pissed it all away. I want my 2 hours of my life back. PQ was decent tho!
Old 12-30-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just watched this dvd last night and enjoyed it but i must say i got utterly confused with the story line. i couldnt keep straight who was who and what everyones intentions were - particularly the fbi and the lawyers. i know the hitmen all just wanted to kill israel to get the million bucks (but from whom?) and were they instructed to literally bring back his heart?

and especially the end - who was who? was that the old fbi agent in the hospital? can someone explain the flashback scenes with the plastic surgery and all that stuff?
Old 12-30-07, 08:54 PM

Honestly, the ending was so bad that you're better off not trying to understand what happened.
Old 12-30-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
It's been awhile since I saw it.

As I remember, to sum it up -
Spoiler:

1. FBI agent gets some surgery, goes undercover to look like mob boss - like fifty years ago or something.
2. FBI Agent/Mob Boss gets comfortable with his cover, and becomes a mob boss.
3. Israel is FBI Agent/Mob Bosses son.
4. FBI really wanted Israel for his heart, for the dying FBI Agent/Mob Boss. The now 'rogue' FBI Agent agreed to hand over all of the info if they got him a heart.
5. Ryan Reynolds is pissed that Ray Lolitta was killed over this argubly corupt shit.
6. Ryan Reynolds kills FBI Agent/Mob Boss guy and Israel.
Old 12-30-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the reasons why you guys didnt like this film is the reason why I DID like it

The ADD kid was hillarious!!
Old 12-31-07, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
All the reasons why you guys didnt like this film is the reason why I DID like it

The ADD kid was hillarious!!

Agreed. I don't get all the hatred. This was a totally fun over the top blast. Even the ending was cool.
Old 12-31-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Agreed. I don't get all the hatred. This was a totally fun over the top blast. Even the ending was cool.
No kidding - this was one of the most entertaining movies I saw in the theater in the last few years. Bought the DVD, enjoyed it, never confused about the plot or who is who. Just a fun movie all around.
Old 12-31-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I liked it too. We only get a couple really good, straight action movies a year. This was one of them.
Old 12-31-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this movie was all style and no substance. the asshole director actually compared his work to the coen brothers. hahahaha.
Old 12-31-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enjoyed it in the theater, and have to come to love it even more thanks to DVD. Easily one of the most entertaining movies of the year. I might have to watch it again this weekend. Good stuff!
Old 01-01-08, 11:21 AM

I don't know why everybody knocks the ending. I thought the ending was great. Great performance by Ryan Reynolds. It was just a really good ending.
Old 02-01-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Disappointed but still somewhat enjoyable.
That pretty much sums up my feelings. I caught it last night on demand. Just from the cast (Jeremy Piven, Ray Liotta, Andy Garcia, Ryan Reynolds, Common, Jason Bateman, Ben Affleck, and Wayne Freakin' Newton) and the promise of loads of gunplay, I was hoping for good things. I think my expectations were too high.
Old 09-19-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I picked this up on HD at Fry's the other day after catching a little bit of it on cable. It's a pretty good movie, but there are a few major elements that keep it from being better. First off, the convoluted plot and ending were ridiculous. I saw that twist coming 20 min into the film, so it wasn't much of a surprise. What I did have a question about was
Spoiler:
if the FBI agent took over Sparazza's identity when he shot him, but the real Sparazza lived, then where the hell did he go?
Maybe it's because my brain kinda started to tune out at that point, but it didn't make much sense. Ryan Reynolds did a much better job than I thought he was capable of. Piven was good, but his character seemed more like a MacGuffin than anything; just an excuse to get all of these assassins together in one room but none of them killed him when they could have. Also,
Spoiler:
his death by (assumed) overdose was pretty lame
Common is a good actor. He's one of the few actor/rappers I could easily tolerate. I was entertained but the movie wore out it's welcome after I realized lots of shit was happening, but nothing was really happening. Know what I mean? Style over substance.