Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Smoking Aces trailer (from the director of Narc) (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Smoking Aces trailer (from the director of Narc) (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would give it a very solid B grade. It was really entertaining, with a lot of interesting characters. It will definitely be a DVD purchase for me. Looking forward to seeing it again.

I barely recognized Matthew Fox!
Old 01-28-07, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the movie last night, and I absolutely loved it. No bullsh**. It had a good mix of comedy, action and drama. Piven and Reynolds lit up the screen. It had some confusion, but in the end it all made sense and was just incredible.

I give it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars

Go see this movie, form your own opinion
Old 01-28-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I liked it, but not nearly as much as my brother and brother-in-law. *** out of *****.

Most of the cast did an exceptional job, particularly Liotta, Reynolds and Henson. Keyes and Common were a pleasant surprise in their respective roles, too.

One of my only nitpicks w/ the movie was that it was already over-the-top and didn't need the Tremors - they annoyed me every time they were on screen. It should have been Affleck and Co. dispensing of them early on instead of the other way around. Also, they should have left the hyper one-eyed kid on the cutting room floor.
Old 01-28-07, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by B.A.
Also, they should have left the hyper one-eyed kid on the cutting room floor.
Agreed. It was the "pancakes!" moment of an otherwsie fantastic film.
Old 01-28-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by breadlymoore
Agreed. It was the "pancakes!" moment of an otherwsie fantastic film.
exactly! I thought the same thing.

Overall I give the movie a C. Some fun characters and style, but ultimately for me, an empty film.

If they would've kept out the mob storyline and twist reveal at the end, I would've enjoyed this movie MUCH more.
Old 01-29-07, 12:45 PM

DVDTALK review is in ...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=26241
Old 01-29-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I liked the movie for what it was..Action with some plot thrown into make it interesting. I loved the part

Spoiler:
When the guy that got shot up with Berg and affleck survived, had the exchange with one of the tremor guys, then just says f*** it, and just without looking, shoots the guy like 8 times. I know it was predictiable that when he was found alive..he ahd to get some revenge, since they set it up..he didnt even really want to be there in the first place, but it was still enjoyable
Old 01-31-07, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Saw it, loved it.

I can't think of one thing I didn't like or agree with in this film. Even the crazy kid at Grandma's pad, the audience I was with thought he was funny as hell. I think I liked the "over the top anything could happen at any moment and although you know who's probably gonna die it's still a shock when they do it", aspect of the film.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-31-07 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-31-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Matthew Fox? Sure you weren't at We Are Marshall instead?
You know Matthew Fox was in Smokin' Aces, right?

I saw this on Sunday morning and REALLY enjoyed it. It had a lot of style, humor, some downright shocking moments and I liked Jeremy Piven a lot. I wonder how much card trick practice he needed and how often they used someone else's hands? I LOVED when he drew blood with his cards - I had no idea how he was going to get out of that situation.

There were a shit-ton of people in that movie too. They got some big names for some small parts. And Jason Batemen nearly stole the whole thing with his two scenes.

It was a lot of fun.
Old 01-31-07, 01:05 PM

Matthew Fox was definitely in this movie, I started to laugh when I saw him cause I didn't recognize him at first.

Great Movie all around, i'm going tonight to see it for the 2nd time.
Old 01-31-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Liked the movie a lot. I would have loved it if it ended 10 minutes earlier.
Old 02-02-07, 12:40 PM

I saw it for the second time on Wednesday and I even liked it better than the first time. I caught so much more the second time around. A must see.
Old 02-07-07, 09:07 AM

Did you people see the same movie as I did? I wan't two hours of my life back, that shit was HORRIBLE....no flow to the movie at all.
Old 02-10-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Solid movie that mixed many different styles effectively and brought about lots of emotion from the characters. Would have liked to have seen more 'in your face' violence though, would've rounded out the movie nicely for me.
Old 02-11-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Two people from Lost. I thought Nestor Carbonell was Yul Vazquez for a while.

I thought this movie was very good, but some caveats:
- As an action movie, it's not as good as proper action movies or even proper popcorn action movies (Bruckheimer stuff, etc). But it's still kinetic.
- As a comedy or story about a diverse group of characters, it doesn't have the charm of something like Snatch. or one of the Tarantino films. But it's still funny.

This is a solid B or B+ movie. I may pick it up on HD DVD when it comes out.
Old 02-12-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question...

Spoiler:
During the flashback scenes involving the cop/would be mob boss, was the character played by Crispin Glover? That twist I saw coming pretty early, because I was convinced that is was Glover..."why would he have such a minor role?" So, I sat through the crawl, nope...imbd, nope. Just wondering I anybody knows...at this point, I can't remember the character's name. Reminds me of the absence of Spacey's name from all SE7EN posters...either that, or I'm just an idiot
Old 02-13-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, i thought it was him aswell but I checked in the credits and imdb and it said no.
Old 02-15-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

can somebody explain to me the purpose of Jason Bateman's character? i didn't quite understand what he was doing in it.
-ringding-
Old 02-15-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
can somebody explain to me the purpose of Jason Bateman's character? i didn't quite understand what he was doing in it.
-ringding-
He was the lawyer asking the bounty hunters to get Israel out safely.
Old 02-16-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fmian
He was the lawyer asking the bounty hunters to get Israel out safely.
For what reason?

Sorry, I was COMPLETELY lost in reference to this character.
-ringding-
Old 02-16-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is from the script. It should explain things for you. Jason Bateman = Rupert Reed.

Israel's legal representation, the firm of Culpepper, Brody and Reed, which is currently the subject of a joint SEC and Treasury Department probe, were left holding the bag after he skipped bail. Over three-quarters of a million dollars on a bond that's set to expire in less than a day. Rupert Reed, one of the firm's partners, has learned of Israel's whereabouts and dispatched a local bondsman by the name of Jack Dupree to pick him up and return him to Las Vegas...
Old 02-16-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Finally saw this last weekend. While there were some bits I really enjoyed (Alicia Keyes' partner going nuts with the rifle was a great scene and I actually liked the karate kid), I ultimately left the theater REALLY disappointed.

The story was unnecessarily convoluted and the set-up seemed to last forever. (Seriously, how long were Liotta and Reynolds chatting in that cafe?) The flim would have been far better had it tried to be less clever and twisty and instead been a 90-minute hotel assault ala Precinct 13. After all, the best part of the movie was the assassin's convergence on the suite, but because it took such a backseat to the mess of a story the writer was trying to tell, the climactic battle was way too short and, well, anti-climactic.

Would have preferred fewer flashbacks, fewer close-ups of Piven's face, MORE Common (he was fantastic, IMO) and Keyes, none of the mob nonsense and a lot more action.

The DVD better be LOADED with extras for me to consider a purchase.
Old 03-03-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Liked it, probably get the dvd. The ending was a bit of a mess. Should have scraped the ending and put in more action or ended it earlier. Best part was the crazy girl with the sniper rifle and ninja kid. Pretty sure it will win a oscar for best picture.
Old 03-03-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Pretty sure it will win a oscar for best picture.
that's quite a statement! it's only March, dude.
Old 03-25-07, 04:15 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i just watched this

I did enjoy it but would have liked a bit more of a simpler plot and more action

Loved the Tremors

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.