Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Prestige Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Prestige Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Spoiler:
He was initially a pawn. Bale knew Tesla needed money, and knew Jackman had it.
Spoiler:
Ok, I guess that makes more sense. I agree with some of the above posts that as soon as it was known what "the machine" was doing, it really ruined the epic nature of the movie. If they could have kept this out of the sci-fi realm (obviously would be a different last third of the film) I think it could have been a classic. I thought it was very good, but it was like the air was let out of the movie as soon as you saw all the cloned hats and cats.
Old 10-21-06, 01:47 PM
Li

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Spoiler:

But he ALREADY TRIED THAT earlier in the picture, and the DOUBLE wanted to run the show...because he realized HE HAD ALL THE POWER. So Danton didn't want to do that again, for fear the double would be discovered or TURN ON HIM. So since he heard that drowning was 'like going home' he decided to send the other selves 'home'. Makes sense to me.

MATT
Spoiler:
He tried that with a drunken idiot, the clone would be himself! I don't know, the fact that he didn't even consider it seems really odd. There's no reason to believe the clone wouldn't want the trick to work just as badly as the original. After all, he didn't even know which was the original and which was the clone.
Old 10-21-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Li
Spoiler:
He tried that with a drunken idiot, the clone would be himself! I don't know, the fact that he didn't even consider it seems really odd. There's no reason to believe the clone wouldn't want the trick to work just as badly as the original. After all, he didn't even know which was the original and which was the clone.
Spoiler:
I think the problem was that Jackman (in any cloned form) wanted to be the one to hear the applause at the end. I don't think they could have pulled off what the Bale brothers were doing, because they weren't doing it for the fame. I think that Jackman knew that if there were two of him, even if they were identical, it would be impossible to control them. Going back to all of the conversations about obsession, part of the obsession was the adulation from the audience, which is why (IMHO) Jackman never even gave the clone a chance. He killed it immediately from the beginning, I think knowing that they would both never be satisfied.
Old 10-21-06, 02:07 PM
Li

Originally Posted by bravesmg
Spoiler:
I think the problem was that Jackman (in any cloned form) wanted to be the one to hear the applause at the end. I don't think they could have pulled off what the Bale brothers were doing, because they weren't doing it for the fame. I think that Jackman knew that if there were two of him, even if they were identical, it would be impossible to control them. Going back to all of the conversations about obsession, part of the obsession was the adulation from the audience, which is why (IMHO) Jackman never even gave the clone a chance. He killed it immediately from the beginning, I think knowing that they would both never be satisfied.
Spoiler:
I suppose that's why he asked Bale at the end "who was the one that came out of the box?" and was so suprised when he said they took turns.

Last edited by Li; 10-21-06 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-21-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I found this film a little long (or I was a little tired when viewing it). I got ahead of the film, so the reveal was a little anticlimactic for me, but it got even more supernaturally convoluted than I had initially suspected, which makes me neutral on the ending. Perhaps another viewing will elevate my appreciation for the film, but for now:

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 10-21-06, 08:56 PM

In principle I liked it. I liked the plot and the twists and turns, even the ones that didn't really fit into the stage magic theme.

In practice ... I don't know. It was alright, but it certainly wasn't anywhere nearly as compelling as Memento. I didn't really care very much about the characters in The Prestige, and in fact if you asked me to sum up the movie in a sentence it would be "magicians are unpleasant bastards who are best avoided." The whole thing would have been a lot more interesting if we had come to empathise more with the main characters before they went off and became obsessive monomaniacs.

The direction also took the punch out of a lot of the story. Shifts in chronology were poorly signaled, important lines were delivered in barely audible whispers, various plot points were never addressed, etc. Even the Big Reveal in the last shot didn't work: it didn't show nearly enough, and most of my audience left the theatre still not understanding what had happened.

(They also didn't know who Tesla was. He might as well have been a made-up pretend mad scientist for all they knew. If you thought he was entirely fictional character it would certainly make that section of the story feel more like a cheap trick.)

Last edited by Inverse; 10-21-06 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-21-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm suprised about the comments about people not liking the supernatural elements of the film. All the trailers hinted at supernatural elements in the film with Michael Caine and his "real magic" line. To me it was no suprise and it was actually treated a lot more respectfully than I thought it would. I thought it was a pretty good film, not great like I had hoped but still pretty damn good.
Old 10-21-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this on Friday night, and I flat out loved it. I give it a rating of around 8.5-9.0, and I stick with that. Heck, I have a feeling that when I watch it again and again I'll like it even more than I do right now. I loved everything from the sets, direction, art style, acting, score, everything. The monologues were awesome.

Spoiler:
I like how Angier willingly killed himself over and over, and his reason was to finally top Borden for revenge, but in reality I believe it had more to do with him feeling guilty and depressed over his wife being killed in the same sort of tank that in his mind he deserved to die over and over again himself.

I also like how in the end you finally understood why Borden only loved her on certain days, and on other days he didn't.

M. Night Shyamalan wishes that he could produce the sort of quality work that Christopher Nolan continues to pump out, time after time.
Old 10-21-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I saw this on Friday night, and I flat out loved it. I give it a rating of around 8.5-9.0, and I stick with that. Heck, I have a feeling that when I watch it again and again I'll like it even more than I do right now. I loved everything from the sets, direction, art style, acting, score, everything. The monologues were awesome.

Spoiler:
I like how Angier willingly killed himself over and over, and his reason was to finally top Borden for revenge, but in reality I believe it had more to do with him feeling guilty and depressed over his wife being killed in the same sort of tank that in his mind he deserved to die over and over again himself.

I also like how in the end you finally understood why Borden only loved her on certain days, and on other days he didn't.

M. Night Shyamalan wishes that he could produce the sort of quality work that Christopher Nolan continues to pump out, time after time.
I think people are getting too caught up with the reveal. I can forgive it (and even enjoy) the ending because it completely exposes Danton's perverse and ugly nautre. This movie became more than the sum of sci-fi vs. real magic, and how things were accomplished it was about these two obssessed men driven mad by ambition, guilt and revenge.

Brent! my brother and I were saying the same thing about M. Night. He should watch this movie and get a clue. A movie where the twists move the story along, but do not become the the key piece.
Old 10-21-06, 11:35 PM

Well, I certainly didn't understand why

Spoiler:
Borden loved her one day and not the next. Why on earth did Bordens 1 and 2 trade off marital duties when it could only lead to trouble? That made no sense at all and it only happened that way because the plot required it for the Shocking Twist. The same with "Angier" affecting an American accent most of the time: there was no reason for it other than to throw us off the scent of Lord Whatshisname.

I enjoyed the movie while watching it, but it doesn't do to examine it too closely ... the exact opposite of Memento, which gets more interesting the closer you look.
Old 10-21-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just got back from this movie and I Loved it! I have been waiting for this movie for a long time and I wasnt disapointed. I loved how the movie played out and the ending went with the theme of the movie. I know many people dont like the ending, but its like a magic trick, when you know how it is done it takes all the fun and mystery out of it.
Old 10-22-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Inverse
Well, I certainly didn't understand why

Spoiler:
Borden loved her one day and not the next. Why on earth did Bordens 1 and 2 trade off marital duties when it could only lead to trouble? That made no sense at all and it only happened that way because the plot required it for the Shocking Twist. The same with "Angier" affecting an American accent most of the time: there was no reason for it other than to throw us off the scent of Lord Whatshisname.

I enjoyed the movie while watching it, but it doesn't do to examine it too closely ... the exact opposite of Memento, which gets more interesting the closer you look.
Spoiler:
They were trying to convey the strict requirements, I didn't buy that either but let it slide.

I actually disagree, and thought more plotholes opened with Memento where as studying the ending I hated in The Prestige actually gave me a pandoras head rush that I rather enjoyed.
Old 10-22-06, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by bravesmg
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Clone isn't necessarily the correct term to describe the duplicates. The duplicates were without error, in other words identical.

Remember when Angier asked which hat was his after they had discovered the duplicates? Tesla replied "they're all yours", implying that every one of them was the real hat, none were clones.

With that in mind, who is to say that the "original" Angier is the one to have grabbed the gun? If you recall, in his last words Angier said he wasn't sure whether or not he would be the one ending up in the tank or the one 50 yards away. Look at it this way, if the duplicate is to retain all memories and knowledge of the original, the very first time the two of them look at each other, they both have the memory of stepping into the machine and putting the gun there. Is there anyway to really tell which is which? The one standing on the platform would believe that the duplicate is the one that is teleported and the duplicate would believe that the original is who was teleported.

Which brings up the debate as to who is killing who each show. If the original is the one that stays in the machine, then yes the original Angier killed the first duplicate with the gun. But that would also mean that the original would have died during the first show and each of the following duplicates would have a lifetime of one show. EX: duplicate #2 transports in show 1 but ends up drowning in show #2 while duplicate 3 is transported but drowns in show 3 etc etc.

Otherwise you could say that the original is the one that is transported all while the duplicate is the one left on the platform. But this would mean that the original Angier was killed by the first duplicate during the initial test and that duplicate #1 is the one that has been killing all the rest of the duplicates each of the 100 shows.

But if we go back to what I was originally saying, it doesn't necessarily matter if all of them are the "real" Angier.
Old 10-22-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I thought it was an excellent movie. I definately look forward to seeing this again.
Old 10-22-06, 03:01 AM

I loved the movie, although I was quite surprised at all the changes they made from the book. I expected a lot of omissions, but there were major plot points that were reimagined. They worked though, and I am not too upset about any of them.

I don't know how anyone can say the scifi aspect is a turn off. It just means that you were not aware of the scifi nature before you saw it. Plus like someone already said, the trailers did kinda hint at that aspect anyway.

Here are some thoughts I had after seeing it: Some are spoilers for the book.
Spoiler:

I was really surprised at the "cloning" choice. In the book, the body in the machine is dead after transportation. Having Angier kill his other self in the movie was interesting though as it showed his guilt over his wife's death. (his wife that did not actually die in the book)

I felt they foreshadowed some of the twists too much - the showing of all the hats in the first scene, the way they always showed Borden#2 in make-up off to the side in a mysterious way, the time when the little boy asked about the bird's brother, Borden's wife always saying shit about him being sincere only part of the time, etc... The whole time I was thinking, "wow, everyone in the audience is going to figure this movie out too easily". Not sure if that's true though.

I was looking forward to seeing how they would handle certain scenes from the book, but they didn't fit in the way things were modified. I was hoping to see the spiritism confrontation and the ghost Angier in particular.

I thought it was interesting that the "original" Angier shot the "copy" the first time. After that it was always the original to die. That's kinda messed up because from his perspective, that means original Angier decided it would be ok for him to be the one that died in the first performance and the copy should live. (By the way, I agree that both Angier's are the same. I'm just using original and copy as a way to easily describe them.)

Last edited by mabus; 10-22-06 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-22-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
I think all of you were missing the point. What he needed the clones for on the last trick was to frame bale's character for murder. Thats why he didnt just make one. Thats why at the very end there were a bunch of dantons drowned in boxes. And why michael cane said, it was agony. He didn't know when bale would come and look so he drowned himself every night. The trick wasn't the telportation, it was the framming. But yeah I saw everything coming from a mile away. The brothers, the cloning, still enjoyed most of it though. 7/10
Old 10-22-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome movie.
Old 10-22-06, 11:18 PM

Liked it a lot, as well.

No problems with the sci-fi, or reveal, or anything along those lines.

But a few questions are critical to the plot:

How do we know that
Spoiler:
Bale's character used the duplication machine at all?
Is it possible that he had an identical twin, and moved to the city and became a magician's apprentice, all the time faking like they were one person?

If he used the machine, when did he exactly use it?
We'd have to assume it was when Tesla travelled to England - but IIRC Bale's wife mentioned that sometimes he didn't mean it when he said he loved her, way back when she told him about the baby. IIRC, Tesla was in England AFTER Bale was married and had the baby, and lost his fingers. So why did his twin have to get his fingers cut off?
Old 10-22-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by reapersaurus
Liked it a lot, as well.

No problems with the sci-fi, or reveal, or anything along those lines.

But a few questions are critical to the plot:

How do we know that
Spoiler:
Bale's character used the duplication machine at all?
Is it possible that he had an identical twin, and moved to the city and became a magician's apprentice, all the time faking like they were one person?

If he used the machine, when did he exactly use it?
We'd have to assume it was when Tesla travelled to England - but IIRC Bale's wife mentioned that sometimes he didn't mean it when he said he loved her, way back when she told him about the baby. IIRC, Tesla was in England AFTER Bale was married and had the baby, and lost his fingers. So why did his twin have to get his fingers cut off?
Spoiler:
what the hell are you talking about? Bale never used the machine, he had a twin brother. The sidekick with the beard. They would rotate and "switch roles", which is why somedays he loved her, somedays he didn't, also the reason why he had to cut off his brothers fingers. Michael Caines character knew it all along. Did you fall asleep at the end? How could you miss that much?
Old 10-23-06, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Heaven forbid someone should miss something and ask for a simple clarification...
The following users liked this post:
whotony (03-11-24)
Old 10-23-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

heaven forbid
Old 10-23-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Loved it, everything was top notch imo. I loved when Jackman was in the woods - the hazy, white atmosphere was beautiful. Sure you have to suspend some disbelief in parts, but even so the sci-fi elements were much less than what I was expecting.

***1/2
Old 10-23-06, 07:30 AM

I saw it yesterday and liked it but if there wasn't the sci-fi element I would have liked it more I think. I was hoping for a realistic reveal.
Old 10-23-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I think some people need a chill pill LOL....

Anywho....this one is a definite grower. I liked it a lot. I think it took guts to make a film with no hero. Also, the atmosphere of the film is so enveloping, I could watch it just for that. I look forward to seeing this again in my HT.

A couple comments....

First, why the joint venture between Touchstone and WB? Did one give it up to the other? I have to wonder....those two usually don't work together. I'm hoping it's WB and not Disney that comes out with the home video rights so we get a decent transfer instead of one of the many BV edge enhancement fests.

Second:

Spoiler:
I contend that the two Bordens were taking turns even at the time Angier's wife is drown. Wouldn't that explain why the one Borden asnweres "I don't know" to the question "What knot was tied?". My fiancee doesn't think they were switching until he was a bigger act.
The following users liked this post:
whotony (03-11-24)
Old 10-23-06, 11:22 AM

I was impressed with the acting and production design, but got turned off by the frequent twists. I got the impression that Nolan just wanted to jerk off the audience to show how clever he was.

The bottom line was that the ending just didn't have enough of a payoff after over 2 hours invested!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.