DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Prestige Review Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/481270-prestige-review-thread.html)

JPRaup 10-19-06 09:06 PM

The Prestige Review Thread

Just got back from it

short story: entertaining film, nothing more, not as good as any of Nolan's other movies except MAYBE might be better than Insomnia. Rottentomatoes has it right, around 70 percent, I would give it 7.5/10.

Spoiler:
I could guess the Jackman "twist" forty five minutes till the end and the Nolan twist 20 minutes INTO the movie. I assumed there would be another "twist" but alas, there was not. The film was executed well but the characters were cardboard. The magic was cool, and there was some great suprises but overall it was not as original as Memento or as great as Batman Begins. It also deserves a repeat viewing. If someone wants the movie completely spoiled ask away.

RichC2 10-20-06 12:25 AM

The reviews have been mixed between loved it (4/4-type) and "it was alright" (2.5/4-type), which basically relates back to how much you like the subject matter I suppose.

Works for me :)

QuikSilver 10-20-06 01:44 AM

On the fense about seeing this film, but I'm really interested in what others have to say about the film. The film has an awesome cast though.

Flynn 10-20-06 02:57 AM

Watched it tonight and really enjoyed it. Probably the best thing I've ever seen Hugh Jackman in (stunning performance, can't wait for The Fountain).

The direction was very tight and all perfomers were both believable and entertaining. Even if you're not a big fan of magicians and their trade, the storyline is very interesting.

It's very impressive that Bale and Jackman take (what are essentially) two very unsympathetic characters and make you feel something for them.

gryffinmaster 10-20-06 03:50 AM

Whether The Prestige is at 0% or 100% at RT, I'm there at SOME POINT this weekend. :up:

RichC2 10-20-06 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Whether The Prestige is at 0% or 100% at RT, I'm there at SOME POINT this weekend. :up:

Despite the lower score earlier this week (20%, all borderline review scores) it has since risen to 76%, but yeah I agree. Unless a movie is flatout slammed (not talking 0%, I mean individual critics giving something a 0.5 out of 5 average), I don't generally listen to reviews.

jdpatri 10-20-06 08:52 AM

Dark revenge theme. Christian Bale. Christopher Nolan. Perfect flick to watch from a darkened theater... This movie would have to be in the 30 percentile range on Rotten Tomatoes before I skip it.

I'll be there on Saturday. I'd be there tonight if not for a little band called Wilco.

sabre 10-20-06 09:31 AM

The concept of this movie is interesting but I'm not sure if I'm going to see it.

In terms of Rotten Tomatores, I have no faith in that rating. I agree sometimes but not always with the critics. I'm more interested in what regular joes have to say about the movie than critics. The only time i can think of this year that i agreed with the critics more than fans was pirates of caribbean 2, which most fans loved but i thought stunk like the critics.

Peep 10-20-06 06:32 PM

Liked it a lot, although it was a bit on the long side.

Best "magic" movie of the year, by far!

Joe Molotov 10-20-06 07:02 PM

I saw it this afternoon and thought it was pretty good. And unlike certain other movies I could name, it's a not a movie that hinges on a twist. This movie is all about rivalry, one-up-manship, and who's going to end up with the upperhand.

CloverClover 10-20-06 07:11 PM

I was excited for this. My anticipation was similar for Munich last year, where just hearing the plot description made me say 'Wow I'm game.' The rival magician angle... the classy costumes... Jackman and Bale... There was definitely something appealing on paper. The kind of film I could put up a poster for on my wall.

I am sick of plot twist films... One of the characters says how (in reference to magic) once the twist is revealed the audience stops caring in a 'thats it?' sort of way. This self-awareness didn't really make me love the twists anymore than I usually do in this kind of fare... I still get pissed off when I see the wheels of a screenplay turning on screen. But still as a whole, the movie leaves us with enough to mull over so that the twists isn't just a gimmick (ala the illusionist)... instead it reveals depths to the sickness of these characters.

Toward the end it turned into this extremely dark, off-putting beast, but I am in awe. I found it shocking.. and I was disturbed at several moments throughout. The atmosphere was brought out so thick that I was tense through the whole thing. I'm very impressed .. There wasn't a single ounce or warmth in the whole thing. It was cold, angry, spiteful, and unpleasant. but it was assured. A while ago I was pissed off at how filmmakers are afraid of being dark, or existential.

Now that Nolan has given us this bleak, nihilistic vision, I don't necessarily like it, I'm just amazed by it. Glad some people still have balls.

mdc3000 10-20-06 10:02 PM

I liked it a lot. It's the kind of movie that deserves a rewatch. I pieced together many of the "twists" with about 50 minutes left, but it still was a great ride with some great performances...and once you know the secrets, they become fairly apparent throughout. Nolan did a great job with the scripting and the film had atmosphere to burn. Wasn't quite as tense as the trailers made it out to be, but it certainly was satisfying and had a nice, dark ending. 4/5.

MATT

The Antipodean 10-20-06 11:31 PM

Good stuff, and great performances by Batman and Wolverine.. er, Bale and Jackman. And David Bowie as a mad scientist. How can you go wrong? Bleak ending too, and really sick the more and more I think about it. "Prestige" indeed.

iggystar 10-21-06 12:31 AM

The things men will do to be the best and get revenge....wow, the twists were secondary to that theme.

I liked how my feelings about the characters shifted, compassion to disdain at their pathos. And the score was great!

Perkinsun Dzees 10-21-06 12:50 AM

I thought it was pretty good for about the first hour, but then...

Spoiler:
...once they introduced the whole "cloning" subplot, the movie went to hell. At least the first half was grounded in reality. Then all of a sudden it turns into some goofy sci-fi flick where logic gets thrown out the window.

Does Scarlett Johansen have a thing for shitty cloning movies or what?

How come when you put something in the cloning machine, the clone pops up like fifty feet away? Shouldn't the machine have two boxes, one for the original person and one for the clone to appear in?

The last fifteen minutes were putrid. I thought that after Hugh Jackman got shot at the end, the shooter was gonna pull off his disguise and turn out to be Mark Wahlberg saying, "Ah ha, I got you, you rat!"

RichC2 10-21-06 01:23 AM

I really enjoyed the movie, but agree about the end.

Spoiler:
I just didn't want to accept the cloning bit as actually happening, everything else is decently grounded (the Bale's twin thing was pretty obvious from early on, great use of different accents, just amazed none of the characters noticed.) it just seemed from a different movie all together.

However, am I right in assuming that everytime he created a clone, the clone was a continuation of himself, and the original was constantly being killed/drowned? If that's the case, then I don't rightout hate the concept, thanks in large part to Caine's "It hurt like hell (drowning)" comment.

The rest of the movie was, imo, a blast. :up: to the overall tone of the movie, loved the escallation of one-up-manship as well. Grimmest PG-13 movie I've seen in sometime. Bowie was fantastic, and even the subplot of

Spoiler:
Edison vs. Tesla
was interesting.

Li 10-21-06 02:26 AM

Spoiler:
What I don’t get is once Jackman cloned himself once, why didn’t the two of them just do exactly what Bale was doing? One drop while the other appears behind the audience? Because the electricity effect was cool? Why drown yourself over and over again? It’s a pretty interesting concept though, the clone continuing on each time as though he were the original.

RichC2 10-21-06 02:56 AM

Spoiler:
It’s a pretty interesting concept though, the clone continuing on each time as though he were the original.

Because of the flaw in
Spoiler:
having two identical people walking around
plus he figured
Spoiler:
drowning didn't hurt, so what the hell

Li 10-21-06 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Spoiler:
It’s a pretty interesting concept though, the clone continuing on each time as though he were the original.

Because of the flaw in
Spoiler:
having two identical people walking around
plus he figured
Spoiler:
drowning didn't hurt, so what the hell

Spoiler:
I don't buy it, he was constantly disguising himself to sabotage Bail, why not just do that? He's killing himself no matter which way he looks at it, whether he's really the original (I have no idea what would make him think he was) or the clone. Bale somehow pulled having a twin off his whole life with no one noticing. Certainly Jackman could for the short time he was performing the illusion.

mdc3000 10-21-06 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Li
Spoiler:
I don't buy it, he was constantly disguising himself to sabotage Bail, why not just do that? He's killing himself no matter which way he looks at it, whether he's really the original (I have no idea what would make him think he was) or the clone. Bail somehow pulled having a twin off his whole life with no one noticing. Certainly Jackman could for the short time he was performing the illusion.

Spoiler:

But he ALREADY TRIED THAT earlier in the picture, and the DOUBLE wanted to run the show...because he realized HE HAD ALL THE POWER. So Danton didn't want to do that again, for fear the double would be discovered or TURN ON HIM. So since he heard that drowning was 'like going home' he decided to send the other selves 'home'. Makes sense to me.

MATT

RichC2 10-21-06 10:55 AM

Spoiler:
Bail somehow pulled having a twin off his whole life with no one noticing.

Spoiler:
also part of the point, since Jackman was never anywhere near as creative or imaginative as Bale. Plus it's like the Chinese guy's trick, total and complete devotion, which is something Jackman seemed unwilling to do.

I still kind of hate the ending, but in retrospect, it's actually quite fitting.

BravesMG 10-21-06 11:27 AM

Ok, really liked the movie but I need some help:
Spoiler:
Why the hell did Bale give Jackman the note that said Tesla? I know they were both at Tesla's act that was shut down, but I don't understand what purpose it served. Was it just an EXTREME coincidence that Tesla was working on exactly the technology that Jackman needed to perform Bale's real trick? I had a long argument with my friends that Bale didn't "clone" himself and it was just himself and his twin the whole time. I finally convinced them because Bale couldn't figure out how Jackman was doing it at the end, so he obviously never used the machine. I just have no clue what the connection between Bale and Tesla was.

RichC2 10-21-06 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by bravesmg
Ok, really liked the movie but I need some help:
Spoiler:
Why the hell did Bale give Jackman the note that said Tesla? I know they were both at Tesla's act that was shut down, but I don't understand what purpose it served. Was it just an EXTREME coincidence that Tesla was working on exactly the technology that Jackman needed to perform Bale's real trick? I had a long argument with my friends that Bale didn't "clone" himself and it was just himself and his twin the whole time. I finally convinced them because Bale couldn't figure out how Jackman was doing it at the end, so he obviously never used the machine. I just have no clue what the connection between Bale and Tesla was.

Spoiler:
He was initially a pawn. Bale knew Tesla needed money, and knew Jackman had it.

The Antipodean 10-21-06 11:52 AM

One thing I missed:

Spoiler:
What did Bale say just as he was hung?

RichC2 10-21-06 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
One thing I missed:

Spoiler:
What did Bale say just as he was hung?

Spoiler:
Abra Cadabra (it's in the trailer). Or was there a voice over I missed?