Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Re-used movie props......

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Re-used movie props......

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-06, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a movie but the first season of "Hanging W/ Mister Cooper" used the same exact set and all the props from "Growing Pains" after it was cancelled.
I thought that was just the pilot but it's been a long, long time since I was an avid TGIF viewer.
Old 10-01-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
I thought that was just the pilot but it's been a long, long time since I was an avid TGIF viewer.
Yeah, your probably right. My memory is kind of hazy.
Old 10-02-06, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
The Universal Studios clocktower? It's been in Back to the Future (obviously) and Sneakers. What else?
Old 10-02-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
The Munster house is now on Desperate Housewives.

http://www.theatrecrafts.com/studiot...olonial_3.html
Old 10-02-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hu Phan
DeMille's 1956 Paramount version of The Ten Commandments uses a vast array of props, costumes and set dressings from the Fox flop The Egyptian made a couple of years earlier. ... Watching both movies back to back makes the re-use particularly obvious and shows DeMille was cheap bast*** contrary to reputation.
Considering the major movie studios at that time (and decades later) had huge costume, prop and set making departments with historical costumes, props, etc. going back as far as the silent era, this is not a surprise. However, Paramount using Fox stuff is, although it wasn't a rarity for a studio to loan or lease such to another studio.

In the case of TC this was probably due to budgetary conserns, more than any reputed cheapness on the part of DeMille. There is also the consideration that these are two period pieces taking place in nearly identical historical eras in which characters would use nearly identical clothing, props, sets, etc. Why invest anything in reinventing the wheel, or a pyramid as the case may be?

Originally Posted by Hu Phan
On a similar note, Hammer Films in the UK used and re-used both the exterior and interior of a large house for many of their 50s / early 60s films. It becomes blatantly obvious after a while.
This was because Hammer actually was cheap.
Old 10-03-06, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
In pr0n they re-use "props" alls the time.
Old 10-03-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
The Universal Studios clocktower? It's been in Back to the Future (obviously) and Sneakers. What else?
It was in Bruce Almighty too.
Old 10-03-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
"Doctor Blair. Doctor Blair." is what I always hear.
Heh, I heard that same audio drop in a Three Stooges short.

Edit: specifically the short "Men in Black" (Stooges as doctors) from 1934!?

I'd say I'm delusional in hearing that specific line, but I saw the short in 2004 and it jarred that memory from the Queensr˙che song.

It goes:

"Doctor Davis, telephone please. Doctor Davis, telephone please... Doctor Blair, Doctor Blair. Doctor J. Hamilton, Doctor J. Hamilton."

Last edited by sundog; 10-03-06 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
"Doctor davis...." is also used on Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood album

Not a movie but the first season of "Hanging W/ Mister Cooper" used the same exact set and all the props from "Growing Pains" after it was cancelled.
This was actually acknowledged. In the first scene of the first episode, Alan Thicke comes to Cooper's house to get the Seaver family portrait he left on the mantle
Old 10-04-06, 02:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Luke's landspeeder was painted green and reused in Episode I. Does that count?

They also used the probe craft from 2001 as background junk.
Old 10-04-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just to clarify...sets and props are a very diffrent thing. There are sets that have been used and reused in hundreds of movies for close to 80 years now. The hill valley courthouse shows up all the time, though not always the actual clock

the Wizard Of Oz Dvd has a section in the special features that shows the hour glass being reused several times after the wizard

its also widely known about the blade runner cars showing up in BTTF2

another car... in Halloween H2O. Janet Leigh drives the same car she did in Psycho 38 years earlier

The Bride and Bill's swords from Kill Bill are the same used by Miho in Sin City

and of course Robby the Robot, who even gets his own IMDB page for his appearances