DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Re-used movie props...... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/479277-re-used-movie-props.html)

KillerQ 09-30-06 10:14 PM

Re-used movie props......

Hey all,

I have noticed that the Dead German Sheperd prop used in Cabin Fever also appears in The Hills Have Eyes (re-make). It looks like Nicotero and friends are trying to save some money.....

What other films have you noticed this in?

Later,

Matt!

GuruTwo 10-01-06 12:48 AM

As a kid I remember seeing what seemed to be the PKE meter from "Ghostbusters" pop up in the Hulk Hogan crapfest "Suburban Commando" (which I recognized as awful even at the time).

I can't think of any other examples but I know that Stanley Kubrick often had props from his films destroyed to prevent this from happening.

Fincher Fan 10-01-06 05:41 AM

That meter from Ghostbusters was also in They Live.

Eric D. 10-01-06 06:42 AM

I remember a lot of the props from Starship Troopers were re-used in Impostor. But it doesn't really matter because only 3 people actually saw Imposter, and I was one of the 3.

marty888 10-01-06 08:25 AM

It's been going on for years, re-using sets, props, etc.

Probably the most famous instance is the huge wooden fence and gates from King Kong's island, which were set ablaze for the burning of Atlanta sequence in <i>Gone With The Wind</i>.

fryinpan1 10-01-06 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I remember a lot of the props from Starship Troopers were re-used in Impostor. But it doesn't really matter because only 3 people actually saw Imposter, and I was one of the 3.

One of the helmets from Starship Troopers was also used at the end of Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes. They painted it black and added a visor.

Filmmaker 10-01-06 08:39 AM

Princess Leia's disguise helmet as Boussh the Bounty Hunter in RETURN OF THE JEDI was reused umpteen times as the helmets of the Breen race on the TV show STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE.

candyrocket786 10-01-06 08:51 AM

They were also reused in Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy.

Snowmaker 10-01-06 10:11 AM

Luke's landspeeder was painted green and reused in Episode I. Does that count?

John_Shil 10-01-06 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
They were also reused in Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy.

And on Firefly, for the Alliance troops.

zombeaner 10-01-06 11:53 AM

There is a table with a hole in it used in both Return of the Living Dead and Re-Animator.

redskull 10-01-06 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Princess Leia's disguise helmet as Boussh the Bounty Hunter in RETURN OF THE JEDI was reused umpteen times as the helmets of the Breen race on the TV show STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE.

Umm... not quite. Similar, probably even inspired by, but nowhere near the same helmet.

Plus, Jedi was a Fox movie, Trek is from Paramount. I doubt there's a lot of sharing of props going on between the two...
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...da92/breen.jpg

Filmmaker 10-01-06 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by redskull
Umm... not quite. Similar, probably even inspired by, but nowhere near the same helmet.

Plus, Jedi was a Fox movie, Trek is from Paramount. I doubt there's a lot of sharing of props going on between the two...
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...da92/breen.jpg

Fair enough, but it certainly qualifies as intellectual theivery in my book, at least...

Giantrobo 10-01-06 02:05 PM

A Godzilla costume was used in an Ultraman ep.

Anyway, not a prop but there's a sound effect used all the time for Hospital scenes in movies and other stuff. <b>"Doctor Davis, telephone please. Doctor Davis telephone please".</b> I heard it 1st on Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" Cd and since then I hear it ALL THE TIME on commercials, movies, and other stuff.

Mondo Kane 10-01-06 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Anyway, not a prop but there's a sound effect used all the time for Hospital scenes in movies and other stuff. <b>"Doctor Davis, telephone please. Doctor Davis telephone please".</b> I heard it 1st on Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" Cd and since then I hear it ALL THE TIME on commercials, movies, and other stuff.

"Doctor Blair. Doctor Blair." is what I always hear.

Giantrobo 10-01-06 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
"Doctor Blair. Doctor Blair." is what I always hear.

ok, maybe you're right. I was trying to remember the other name popped up.

Hu Phan 10-01-06 05:22 PM

DeMille's 1956 Paramount version of The Ten Commandments uses a vast array of props, costumes and set dressings from the Fox flop The Egyptian made a couple of years earlier. Kathleen Orrison confirms it in her 10 Commandments commentary and the book she wrote about the film. Watching both movies back to back makes the re-use particularly obvious and shows DeMille was cheap bast*** contrary to reputation.

On a similar note, Hammer Films in the UK used and re-used both the exterior and interior of a large house for many of their 50s / early 60s films. It becomes blatantly obvious after a while.

Alan Smithee 10-01-06 06:39 PM

There are TONS of sound effects that are re-used many times, someone more computer-literate than me might be able to make an audio link for all of them.

Duder 10-01-06 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There are TONS of sound effects that are re-used many times, someone more computer-literate than me might be able to make an audio link for all of them.

The Wilhelm Scream is the most famous example of this.

RocShemp 10-01-06 08:00 PM

Oh so you were one of the other two people (besides me) that rented it?

Originally Posted by Duder
The Wilhelm Scream is the most famous example of this.

Oh how I loathe that scream.

The Infidel 10-01-06 08:01 PM

Does Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct 2 count as a re-used prop?

GoldenJCJ 10-01-06 08:40 PM

The golden idol Indy steals at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark looks an awful lot like the golden idol used in the movie within the movie in The Majestic

GuruTwo 10-01-06 09:09 PM

The golden idol Indy steals at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark looks an awful lot like the golden idol used in the movie within the movie in The Majestic
Yeah but that was a deliberate homage as opposed to "why hire a prop department when we can reuse old props?"

chente 10-01-06 09:42 PM

The staircase from Magnificent Ambersons was reused in Val Lewton's Cat People.

mrhan 10-01-06 10:21 PM

Not a movie but the first season of "Hanging W/ Mister Cooper" used the same exact set and all the props from "Growing Pains" after it was cancelled.