Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Snake Moan

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I liked this movie quite a bit, but I felt it could have been even crazier. I agree with the comments about the end. It's this great, edgy movie for a while, then devolves into cliche and a generic ending. Too bad!
Old 03-04-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone explain to me why the American flags on the soldiers' uniforms were backwards? For a second when we first see Timberlake saying goodbye to Ricci, I thought the film was being projected backwards. Then they showed the wristwatches. Is that some kind of standard military protocol or something? As an ignorant Canadian, it seemed awfully weird.

LOVED the movie though (didn't remind me of 'Secretary' or 'Station Agent' so much as 'Lost In Translation'). I was really worried it would lose it in the last act, but the ending was perfect.
Old 03-04-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wergo
Can anyone explain to me why the American flags on the soldiers' uniforms were backwards? For a second when we first see Timberlake saying goodbye to Ricci, I thought the film was being projected backwards. Then they showed the wristwatches. Is that some kind of standard military protocol or something? As an ignorant Canadian, it seemed awfully weird.
Off-topic: My understanding is that all flags on US military uniforms are that way to prevent the impression that the flag is retreating. The flag attaches to the pole on the side with the stars, so if you put the flag the right way on a soldier's right arm, it looks as if the flag is being led away from the battle.
Old 03-04-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really liked it...but I thought the stuff that had problems for me was the first 30 minutes or so...once he gets Christina chained up, the movie worked great for me... I would have probably just tightened up the first act and I think it could have been perfect. A very decent follow up for Brewer regardless though, and he's rapidly becoming a very promising auteur. Loved the lyrics to the blues songs in this - really good stuff.

MATT
Old 03-04-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought the film had some good redemptive qualities to it, with Laz and Rae's unlikely encounter and odd familiarization phase providing some good acting by Samuel L. Jackson and Christina Ricci (this gal is fearless). Justin Timberlake stuck out like a sore thumb in some of his scenes acting-wise, but at least his screen time is minimal.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 03-05-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loved it. Just something about the flow of it all with the music, the acting, and the insanity. Definitely picking up the soundtrack next chance I get. 9/10
Old 03-05-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
Justin Timberlake stuck out like a sore thumb in some of his scenes acting-wise, but at least his screen time is minimal.
I thought JT was excellent in Alpha Dog, but I have to agree with you here... he was not great in this flick and with the rest of the cast turning in grade A performances, his work does stand out as a real weak point.

MATT
Old 03-06-07, 10:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Caught this last night, loved just about every part of it. I especially loved the humor and the interplay between Ricci and Jackson. Unlike seemingly everyone else here, I had no problems with the third act.
Old 03-06-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Christina Ricci and Taryn Manning should star as sisters with addictive personalities.
Old 03-07-07, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Caught this last night, loved just about every part of it. I especially loved the humor and the interplay between Ricci and Jackson. Unlike seemingly everyone else here, I had no problems with the third act.

I agree 100%. My only complaint was that although I get why they used the music the way they did throughout the film, in some scenes it was very distracting. Maybe it was too loud? I don't know. The music wasn't a major complaint so it's no big deal. Anyway, I had skimmed this thread and I was expecting this horrible ending but what I got was...

Spoiler:
... 2 really fucked up people in love, who really need each other, and in are in really tough situation...just doing the best they can under the circumstances. Obviously they have a long hard road ahead. They could've given it the perfect Hollywood ending where she's all "cured" and everything is perfect and they just leave and have an easy life not dealing with their demons, but they didn't and I can appreciate that.

Ricci There were some really nice shots of her.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-07-07 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there as much nudity in this as they're advertising? Every TV spot I see is Ricci just about naked and/or taking her clothes off, it feels like a big tease, but reading this thread I could be wrong.

I'm interested to go, missed it last weekend and it looks like I might need to see it soon before a quick exit.
Old 03-07-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
Is there as much nudity in this as they're advertising? Every TV spot I see is Ricci just about naked and/or taking her clothes off, it feels like a big tease, but reading this thread I could be wrong.

I'm interested to go, missed it last weekend and it looks like I might need to see it soon before a quick exit.
There's nudity, but the movie isn't filled with it.

All the scenes in the trailers are mostly the first 30-50% of the movie.
Old 03-07-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone know if that tattoo on the right boob is Ricci's, or for the character?
Old 03-07-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Anyone know if that tattoo on the right boob is Ricci's, or for the character?

I think it's her's because I remember seeing a pic of her topless on the net with a tattoo. It's a shame for those(like me) that find tattoo's a turn off.
Old 03-07-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also has Samuel L singing some real dirty blues... if that alone isn't enough reason for somebody to go out and catch this flick, I don't know what to tell ya.
Old 03-07-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I think it's her's because I remember seeing a pic of her topless on the net with a tattoo. It's a shame for those(like me) that find tattoo's a turn off.
Well, I don't think she had the tat when she filmed Prozac Nation.
Old 03-08-07, 02:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought the tat was for the character.
Old 03-08-07, 08:06 AM

She just did an interview for Esquire and I think the tat was there in the pics
Old 03-10-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this movie and I loved it through and through. The Black Snake Moan scene is one of the greatest scenes from any motion picture in a number of years if you ask me, and one of my personal favorites ever.

I only have two minor complaints about the movie. For one, the ending, and anyone who has seen the film will more than likely know what I mean, so I'm not going to go into detail here. The other complaint is about JT. I don't so much mind him, I don't think he's horrible or anything, but the material in this film, in my opinion, called for someone with far more acting experience and the such. He can work in other films, but BSM demanded certain things from all of the main players, and I feel that he came up a bit short a number of time. I didn't hate him, but he just didn't quite fit in with everyone else, especially with the two leads.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 03-10-07 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-06-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Saw this over the weekend and this will no doubt be in my top 5 by the time this year ends. You guys had me worried there criticizing the film's conclusion, but it's good to see that I'm not alone on thinking that the ending was perfect. Although I do agree with the above post on Timberlake's performance. Some moments from him were good, others flat. But both Ricci and Jackson damn sure made up for him!

Keep doing ya thing, Brewer!
Old 05-28-07, 08:16 AM

I saw this last night, and wrote a big review of it. Don't read this if you want to avoid spoilers, seriously. I talk about pretty much every plot point.

Spoiler:
Critics have been attacking Black Snake Moan for being shallow, and saying that it's a poster that needs a film (the posters set the film up as an exploitation flick, as though it's a lost section of Grindhouse). And, for the first act, there's a heavy, arrogant swagger as Rae, played by Christina Ricci, waves goodbye to her anxiety disorder-suffering, soldier boyfriend, Ronnie (portrayed surprisingly well by Justin Timberlake) and goes about having sex with a healthy portion of her Southern town. It soon transpires that she is a nymphomaniac, and in true exploitation style we see her beaten, nearly raped, and left in a heap on a road. It is here that she is taken in by Samuel L Jackson's Lazarus (no blindingly obvious analogy here, then), who we have previously seen is a God-fearing ex-bluesman whose first scene involves his wife of twenty years leaving him for his younger brother. While Lazarus' introduction is decidedly more deliberate and restrained than Rae's - this proving to be the fundamental difference between the two characters early on - we do see him at his brother's neck with a broken beer bottle, threatening him to "tell me that you love me!" This is exploitation, and no mistake.

The two main characters having been brought together thanks to Rae's near-rape, the film begins to pick up its pace, albeit slowly. Lazarus leaves Rae on his couch while she fades in and out of consciousness, and after two days she finally wakes up. Upon trying to leave, however, she finds herself bound to Lazarus' radiator by a huge metal chain, padlocked around her waist. Turning down the sex that she offers him, we learn that he sees an opportunity to save Rae and turn her around, having learned about her behaviour from townsfolk. The film suffers a slightly boring spell here, where, although there are some funny moments (as all good drama provokes), the repetitive nature of Rae's struggles against the chain begins to tire. Fortunately, this doesn't last long, and the film soon sucks you back in.

You'd be forgiven for assuming that the point at which Rae finds herself chained would mark the first real change in tone of the film. However, the film remains firmly within the realm of exploitation - Rae appears to turn her chains into a piece of bondage equipment to help her sleep, and even has sex with Lincoln, a virgin delivery boy, when he visits Lazarus' house. The change in tone - and it is a very big change - comes when Lazarus tells Rae to wear a dress he has bought her from the town, to help her look more respectable. Making her help him cook dinner for the two of them, the local reverend (a good friend of Lazarus') and Lincoln, Rae begins to feel respected and want to change her ways - which marks the point at which we begin to truly care about her. Seeing her in the first act as a depraved, sex-addicted junkie made for a good character, but not one you could feel sympathy for. Seeing her starting to clean herself up and help herself, we realise that she is a human being who we can feel pity for but also have hope in. Soon, Lazarus undoes the lock on her chain, freeing her, recognising that he has no right to keep her bound, and telling her to live her life the way she wants. She asks him to do one thing for her: to play her the blues.

The following scene is quite amazing, showing that the connection the two characters have forged over the previous three or four days is strong and enduring, as a storm begins to scare Rae (reminding her of hallucinations she has been experiencing) and she grabs onto Lazarus' leg for safety, while he continues to play a hard-edged, overdriven blues riff and sing powerfully along. During the rest of the film, although Rae has been physically freed from her chain, she finds solace in being near Lazarus and even continues to sleep in his house. Lazarus, equally, appears to find a similar peace and mutual understanding with Rae - they may not know about each other's specific crosses to bear, but they don't need to; their understanding of one another is such that just the presence of the other person is enough to comfort them. It is suggested in one scene that Rae was abused by her father as a child, and this makes her latching onto Lazarus even more meaningful, while Lazarus seems to appreciate having (or even need) someone to care for since his wife left him.

Music as a symbol of emotional release and escape, not to mention of salvation and redemption, has now been firmly introduced into the film and is expressed energetically and decisively in a scene in which Lazarus takes to the stage for the first time in years, at a bar he used to play to, and gets not only the crowd caught up in the music, but also Rae, a fatherlike smile telling her she can join the dancefloor and get lost in the moment. It is at this point that the film reaches its true peak, while the climax of the plot is yet to come.

Ronnie has been discharged from the army on account of his anxiety disorder. He learns from his friend that Rae has not been faithful to him, and is enraged, sneaking into Lazarus' house and confronting him with a gun. After he has talked him out of his anger, the film takes a slight downturn into a relatively (for the film, at any rate) conventional ending, where, having talked about their respective problems (in Rae's words, "I think we're fucked up"), she and Ronnie get married and drive away, although the final shot of the film shows him suffering a panic attack while she manages to control her still-recurrent sexual urges (grasping at a none-too-subtle chain around her waist, given to her as a wedding gift by Ronnie - though don't assume 'none-too-subtle- to mean 'crude and stupid') to move over and comfort him, leaving us with a refreshingly honest message of hope, that although the characters have their respective problems and issues, they won't succumb to them, but instead do their best to work through them. Lazarus has arguably the happiest ending of all, as the quietly tortured father figure we have cared about throughout the entire film is seen holding hands with a woman he has been becoming close to at various points.

The film has been misunderstood by critics expecting (and wanting) it to be like the poster. It is more of a case of inaccurate marketing, because the exploitation in the film is confined to only the first 50 minutes or so. In reality, the film is a slow-burning character piece, keeping you hooked not only by the superb characters, surprisingly believeable plot, and well-judged pace, but also by the stellar performances of Christina Ricci and Samuel L Jackson. Ricci's decision to take the role of Rae was largely thought to be a risky one - as though with any other actress it wouldn't have been, given Rae's behaviour and tendency to spend most of her time half-naked - but the absolutely nails it, turning what could, and in the hands of a different actress, would have been an overacted, unsubtle performance into a refined, deep portrayal of a girl with huge problems who has been hurt in the past and is clearly feeling the effects. Jackson, too, gets his performance spot on, and not only deserves every plaudit he gets for this, but also should be recognised for effortlessly and deftly injecting the character of Lazarus with many of the nuances and character traits that have made him famous for 'attitude' - humourously, more so than he did in his other 'snake film', which was made more or less purely to show his 'attitude' in full flow. The few background actors do the two leads justice, with good performances all around, even including Justin Timberlake, whose only real problem in the film is his fame - it's hard to see him as 'Ronnie', in the same way that we see Ricci as 'Rae'.

Black Snake Moan is effectively a blues song in visuals. Quite apart from the blues riffs which seem to tear themselves viciously from Lazarus' guitar (indeed, during the scene in which he plays to Rae during the storm, that song is in fact Black Snake Moan itself, by Blind Lemon Jefferson), it really can be likened to a blues song in its entirety. Critics have complained about what they perceive as a lack of depth to the film - that's their fault completely. You can listen to blues songs superficially, as simple stories, or you can choose to dig beneath the surface and uncover themes and motifs that perhaps aren't immediately apparent, and reward the patient and diligent listener. Black Snake Moan is very similar - you can see it as a story of two different people who are eventually able to help one another, laced with some gratuitous violence and sex, and overall lacking substance, or you can become surrounded by the film and experience themes of personal woes, redemption and salvation, love, relationships, temptation, rage and restraint, to isolate just a few. There's also some beautiful, fantastic symbolism and simply breathtaking imagery, such as Rae strewn across Lazarus' sofa, trailing the chain around her legs. Craig Brewer really seems to have an eye for creative composition and exquisite shots.

In Black Snake Moan, writer-director Craig Brewer has created a film which will not be seen by many, which is a shame. The image of a white woman chained by a black man is a controversial one, and therefore one which will ensure that many people who would otherwise enjoy the film won't see it. This is a shame, but make sure you're one of those who does see the film. It's not for everyone, and in places it's unrelenting in graphic violence and, well, exploitation (a word I've overused in this review, I know), but this side to the film isn't a lasting one, and it's for the best. Black Snake Moan is a very rewarding film overall. It's an oddity, but it's one absolutely worth indulging. One of the best films I've seen so far this year.
Old 06-02-07, 07:15 AM

I still need to see this.
Old 06-18-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this over the weekend, and loved everything about it, except the ending. I think that it is pretty much the consensus. It's a lot better than I was expecting, but after watching the movie and reading reviews, it seems that most people that actually take the time to see it really like it.
Old 06-24-07, 06:12 PM
Banned

Watched it last night. Loved the whole thing, even the ending. I agree with poster above about the Black Snake Moan scene. The thunder was killing me. Sam nailed it.
Old 07-09-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

finally watched this yesterday after having missing it in the theaters unfortunately.

as many others, i truely enjoyed the movie alot also! sam jackson and ricci knocked their characters out of the park and the idea of the movie in itself was excellent IMO. i watched some of the special features and to know some of the points that came across in brewer's movie where real life things that had been happening to him before writing the film were very interesting. it will be great to see what this guy does next. i would definitely recommend this to many others!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.