Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shilling for Columbine ... Michael Moore's film and the latest Montreal massacre

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shilling for Columbine ... Michael Moore's film and the latest Montreal massacre

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bowling for Columbine is anti-Bush? Which scenes?
Old 09-16-06, 09:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by joliom
It's a Michael Moore film, dude. That means it's, a) agenda based, b) at least 50% staged, c) filled with factual inaccuracies, and d) engineered to be controversial. Whether you agree with his politics and world view or not, I think everybody can at least agree on that much.
Agreed.

So why are you pretending that it's more influential than it really is? It's just a psuedo-documentary. There are lots of others that take lots of other positions, advocating or decrying lots of other world events. Imo, you are right that he raises no real substantive questions and is narrow-minded in his "investigation" of the causes leading to the Columbine massacre, but so what?
It is influential because it won an Oscar and it was a huge box-office success, which raises the possibility that it actually made sense to some people. And it is quoted in the middle of these tragic events, by TV commentators, who really should know better, as if it was a film that actually offered some sort of explanation or insight for these events.

If you wanted to start a thread about why Bowling for Columbine sucks, then why didn't you just do that?
I thought I did.

Although I agree with a lot of the opinions belied by your comments, your argument is not on point and lacks any semblance of logical structure. What is the exact point you wish to make? That Michael Moore is a hack filmmaker?
Yes.

That Bowling for Columbine is a weak film?
Yes.

That violence in the media is an antecedent to real violence? That society is in denial about this chain of causation?
Yes. Most posters on this thread only treat the subject as a joke. FinkPish tried to psychoanalyze my motivations, as usual, which is admirable, but he forgets the psychoanalyst's first question, which is "How does that make you feel?" (although he never forgets the "Our time is up" part).

That Michael Moore's point about Canadian gun laws and comparative low violent crime rate has been contradicted by this latest event?
Yes.

You're all over the place.
Well, that's part of my charm, I guess.

Last edited by baracine; 09-16-06 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-16-06, 09:42 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pjflyer
Bowling for Columbine is anti-Bush? Which scenes?

I find it very strange that the first thing the anti-baracine lobby group tries to do when I open a thread (before they go on nitpicking my spelling, my psychological make-up or the actual size of Canada - for chrissakes!) is to question whether I have seen the film in question and then proceed to demonstrate that they haven't seen it themselves...

Anyone who has seen the film - or even just Moore's acceptance speech at the Oscars - knows that the film makes several hazy points about the Bush administration instilling a culture of fear among its citizens in order to wage its foreign wars with impunity. Here is a short excerpt of a (negative) review of "Bowling for Columbine" which explains that point ( http://www.counterpunch.org/samuel1126.html ):

The dozy sociologist in Moore awakens: "fear" is media-fed to Americans leading them into a gun culture nested in unbridled greed for running shoes, soft drinks and meat between fibreless white buns. With ugly wall-to-wall muzak behind interviews coupled with very easy-to-get anti-Bush, anti-military laughs, he shows: that Americans have tons of guns; that America is violent; that American elites bomb Aspirin factories in the Third World, whenever they feel like. These are a limited series of conclusions after 125 minutes don't you think? But he's addressing the masses. He has to keep it simple, that way it'll get on TV and everyone will vote for Ralph Nader; then we'll have wind power. And one by one, the fingernail removing dictators will fall, as the self-repairing ozone saves us, bringing green fields and sunshine in every pot. Moore has to sugarcoat the message. Smug, inactive, intellectuals use such arguments to defend Moore's lack of depth and courage as a documentary film-maker.
And this is from a website that could be termed "left of Che Guevara".

Last edited by baracine; 09-16-06 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 10:15 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'd like to see you make a movie that would actually meet your standards of quality.
We can at least agree that a worthwhile film on the question of the causes of violence remains to be made and that "Bowling for Columbine" wasn't it.

Last edited by baracine; 09-16-06 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-16-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
Anyone who has seen the film - or even just Moore's acceptance speech at the Oscars - knows that the film makes several hazy points about the Bush administration instilling a culture of fear among its citizens in order to wage its foreign wars with impunity. Here is a short excerpt of a (negative) review of "Bowling for Columbine" which explains that point ( http://www.counterpunch.org/samuel1126.html ):
I'm not saying the film doesn't have an anti-Bush sentiment, but the quotation you provided doesn't offer any real clarification or explanation. It only restates your original claim without offering any further analysis.
Old 09-16-06, 01:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Corvin
I'm not saying the film doesn't have an anti-Bush sentiment, but the quotation you provided doesn't offer any real clarification or explanation. It only restates your original claim without offering any further analysis.
Have you seen the film?
Old 09-16-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My post is criticizing the quotation you provided as further analysis, not the connection itself. I just don't think the quotation you offered did anything for your argument.
Old 09-16-06, 02:23 PM
Suspended

My post is criticizing the quotation you provided as further analysis, not the connection itself. I just don't think the quotation you offered did anything for your argument.
So you don't like the quotation. Good for you. I suggest you do one of two things:

1. Look for your own quotation or other evidence "Bowling for Columbine" expresses anti-Bush sentiment. (You could start with Moore's Oscar acceptance speech ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbHy4NMoNlU ).)
2. Rent "Bowling for Columbine" and form your own opinion.

Guys, I'm out of here! Thanks to those who took the subject seriously.
Old 09-16-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So you don't like the quotation. Good for you. I suggest you do one of two things:

1. Look for your own quotation or other evidence "Bowling for Columbine" expresses anti-Bush sentiment. (You could start with Moore's Oscar acceptance speech ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbHy4NMoNlU ).)
2. Rent "Bowling for Columbine" and form your own opinion.

It's not that I like or dislike the quotation. You were making an argument that Bowling for Columbine has anti-Bush sentiment (an argument I neither confirmed nor denied). I was merely pointing out that the quotation you chose didn't advance your argument at all.

Let me break it down: You stated that the film is anti-Bush, then you quote a website that also states it is anti-Bush. You never explain how the film is anti-Bush (even though it's supposedly obvious), and neither does the quotation. That's a weak argument.

Last edited by Corvin; 09-16-06 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who was that?
Old 09-16-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Who was that?
I tried to take him seriously, until I realized that this was just another in his line of "I'm pissed at/about someone and I'm venting; I have no actual point" threads. In this one, baracine was mad at Michael Moore for not doing what he thought he should have done and that Moore was successful/famous despite that fact. That's really all there is to this thread.
Old 09-17-06, 07:07 AM
Suspended

P.S.: If anyone wants to study the subject, there is the recent case of those two Green Bay teenagers (victims of bullying) whose plot to carry out a Columbine-style massacre/bombing in their school was foiled by a police informant. It happened on Friday, just in time for Oliver Stone's birthday celebrations:

460 recent related articles here : http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&ned...html&scoring=d

Sample:

Police: Teens Plotted Columbine-like Massacre

Officials Say Green Bay Boys Planned to Deploy At Least 20 Bombs Throughout School

Sept. 16, 2006 — Police say the plan was diabolical and imminent: Shawn Sturtz and William Cornell, both 17 years old, had amassed an arsenal of guns, ammunition and at least 20 homemade bombs.

"This threat was real and would have been carried out in the near future," said Capt. Lisa Sterr of the Green Bay Police Department.

Authorities say both boys had long been fascinated with the Columbine massacre of 1999. They were depressed, hated school and hoped to die in a shootout. They had apparently learned how to build bombs on the Internet.

According to police, the teens planned to storm the school, set off bombs in the bathrooms, and light the doors on fire with napalm so no one could get out. Investigators say there was also a list of people they planned to kill.

"One's got to ask themselves, as the mayor of this city: 'Where were the parents in this?' " said Green Bay Mayor James J. Schmitt.

As they walked out of court, Sturtz's family maintained they were in the dark.

Investigators say the Columbine-style plan was two years in the making. A fellow student tipped off school officials.

"If someone hadn't come forward, we'd be talking about funerals instead of charges," said John Zakowski, Brown County District Attorney.

Sturtz and Cornell are being on held on a $50,000 dollar bond. They are expected to be charged next week with conspiracy to commit homicide.
This ABC article got it wrong: the bail was actually set at $500,000 for each suspect.

The remarkable thing about this case is that it was actually prevented and the suspects are still alive and can tell us about their experience, eventually.

On the lighter side, the suspects look and dress like Michael Moore - even though they haven't blamed the military-industrial complex for their actions - so far...

Enjoy.

P.P.S.: This overview of studies on the effects of media violence and the notion of causality is five years old but it's still topical, typos and all: http://www.bluecorncomics.com/grossman.htm
Some of the evidence is anecdotal but most of it is statistical.

Last edited by baracine; 09-17-06 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-18-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry if this has been brought up but I don't have time to read the entire thread.

I just find it ironic that the OP seems to want to cease violence and gun crime by smothering any reference to it, while at the same time is posting screenshots and links to the game that the Montreal killer loved to play.
This whole thread in fact isn't solving anything, it's just pointing the finger at more people and furthering the very thing you are trying to stop.

I think Marilyn Manson said it best in that movie when he said 'I wouldn't say anything. I'd just listen to them. (The kids)'

It's really as simple as that. That would almost completely solve this whole violence amongst the youth thing.
Old 09-18-06, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fmian
Sorry if this has been brought up but I don't have time to read the entire thread.

I just find it ironic that the OP seems to want to cease violence and gun crime by smothering any reference to it, while at the same time is posting screenshots and links to the game that the Montreal killer loved to play.
I find the level of absurdity in that comment simply astounding. I was mentioning a fact that made newspaper headlines around the world within hours of the Montreal tragedy (see sampling here : http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&ned...TF-8&scoring=d ) and is an important part of my argument about the effect of violent media on troubled youth. See page 1 of this thread if it's not too much trouble. Would you have considered a link to a "Natural Born Killers" website (the movie the Montreal killer liked to watch) just as troubling and "ironic"?

This whole thread in fact isn't solving anything, it's just pointing the finger at more people and furthering the very thing you are trying to stop.

I think Marilyn Manson said it best in that movie when he said 'I wouldn't say anything. I'd just listen to them. (The kids)'

It's really as simple as that. That would almost completely solve this whole violence amongst the youth thing
In view of that sentiment, wouldn't it have been nice of Michael Moore to actually give voice to alienated, bullied students in his film, and to try to understand the motivations of troubled and marginalized teenagers on the brink of violence, instead of making his film into a soap box for Marilyn Manson (among others), as wise and perceptive an educator as you think Marilyn Manson is?

Last edited by baracine; 09-18-06 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-18-06, 03:20 PM

We can at least agree that a worthwhile film on the question of the causes of violence remains to be made and that "Bowling for Columbine" wasn't it.
In other words, you're still waiting for a film that blames GTA, rap music, and Megadeth?
Old 09-18-06, 03:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
In other words, you're still waiting for a film that blames GTA, rap music, and Megadeth?
Yes, preferably one that doesn't feature songs by Marilyn Manson.
Old 09-19-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find the level of absurdity in that comment simply astounding. I was mentioning a fact that made newspaper headlines around the world within hours of the Montreal tragedy (see sampling here : http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&ned...TF-8&scoring=d ) and is an important part of my argument about the effect of violent media on troubled youth. See page 1 of this thread if it's not too much trouble. Would you have considered a link to a "Natural Born Killers" website (the movie the Montreal killer liked to watch) just as troubling and "ironic"?
I think you missed the point of my post, just as I think you have misunderstood the movie. I was pointing out the irony that you believe the movie did bad by having a biased point of view by pointing the finger that the NRA, and you try to combat this by your own biased point of view, pointing the finger at the media. My saying that this thread is making things worse, and you not accepting that is just affirmation of your biased point of view.

In view of that sentiment, wouldn't it have been nice of Michael Moore to actually give voice to alienated, bullied students in his film, and to try to understand the motivations of troubled and marginalized teenagers on the brink of violence, instead of making his film into a soap box for Marilyn Manson (among others), as wise and perceptive an educator as you think Marilyn Manson is?
Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen the movie for a while, but I do recall that he interviewed a couple of troubled youth who had gotten into some FBI black list for having some bomb making handbook. Then he also prominently featured a guy who was a victim of gun violence who still had the bullet inside him. When it comes down to it, Moore covered a lot of bases. Maybe not all of them, and certainly not everyone got the same amount of screen time, but hey, I didn't watch it expecting to solve all the worlds problems like you did.

Last edited by fmian; 09-19-06 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bowling for Columbine sucks. Michael Moore sucks. The media sucks. And everyone has the wool pulled over their eyes.

There. I just summarized your whole thread in less than 20 words.
Old 09-20-06, 09:05 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by joliom
Bowling for Columbine sucks. Michael Moore sucks. The media sucks. And everyone has the wool pulled over their eyes.

There. I just summarized your whole thread in less than 20 words.
Well, that and the following criticism ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_for_Columbine ):

Criticism
The film is highly controversial, and some of its critics have gone so far to call for a revocation of the Academy Award because they do not consider Bowling for Columbine a legitimate documentary. Some of the film's defenders, on the other hand, view these criticisms as symptomatic of the highly emotional atmosphere that characterizes the gun rights debate. Criticism has been made by both pro-gun and anti-gun groups.

Accusations of editorialism
Critics of Moore such as National Review's Dave Kopel claim it is deceptive to call this film purely a "documentary;" they say it is more accurate to describe it as selective documentary, or as Moore has at times called another of his films, an "op-ed" piece [4] that displays his own views. Kopel says the film omits key facts while stringing together other facts to lead to a conclusion, which he says is blatantly untrue, or at the least somewhat deceptive. [5]

For example Kopel points to an early scene that has Moore visiting a savings bank which had advertised a complimentary firearm upon the customer's creating a bank account. Kopel points out that Moore shows us his completing of the savings account application, and then the film's next scene shows him wielding a gun (specifically, a rifle) in front of the bank. Kopel argues that this sequence may lead one to believe is that it is possible to obtain a free gun immediately upon signing an application, without a waiting period, and that the guns are kept at the bank. Kopel states that what actually occurred behind the scenes is that Moore had to deposit thousands of dollars into the account and produce photo identification, then wait at the bank for an FBI background check. In March 2003, John Fund reported in a Wall Street Journal diary page that the bank employee who handled Moore's account, Jan Jacobson, claimed that Moore had arranged the transaction weeks in advance, and that customers have "a week to 10 days waiting period" before collecting their guns. [6] While the use of "free" firearms as a marketing ploy may be legitimately questioned, Kopel questions the means by which he makes this argument. [5]

However later in 2004, Moore responded to these criticisms in a posting on his website. To the claim that the transaction had been arranged weeks in advanced he said that "Nothing was done out of the ordinary other than to phone ahead and ask permission to let me bring a camera..." He also states that the background check took less than 10 minutes and he was handed the rifle 5 minutes later. To back up his version of events, he posted out-takes from the documentary. The video shows Jacobson explaining the process to Moore, including that the rifles are held in the bank's vault. [7] The footage in which an employee states that the guns are stored in the bank's vault appears in televised broadcasts of the film.

Criticism from pro-gun groups
The gun-rights lobby believes that Moore unfairly portrayed lawful gun owners in the USA as a violence-prone group. While few dispute that the gunshot homicide rate is higher in the US than in other countries, Richard Bushnell claims his statistics as presented in the montage of other countries sequence are ambiguous [8] on two counts: first, they maintain Moore's statistics are not adjusted for smaller population in other countries; further, Bushnell claims that Moore includes acts such as self-defense, which are not in uniform with US murder statistics. However, Moore's statistics are for homicide, and not murder. Although self-defense does not fit the legal definition of murder, which only applies to unlawful and premeditated acts of killing, it does fit the legal definition of homicide, which applies to all forms of killing in general. Finally, David Hardy argues that all homicides and violent crime should have been included in the comparison. [9]

In the film, Moore berates the American media for creating a culture of fear in the American public. Dave Kopel and David Hardy argue that his own movie is geared towards creating fear of guns and gun owners, and accuse him of hypocrisy on those grounds. [5] [9]

Critics also claim that Moore makes misleading statements in the movie. For example, Moore conducted an interview with Evan McCollum, Director of Communications at a Lockheed Martin plant near Columbine, and asked him

"So you don't think our kids say to themselves, 'Dad goes off to the factory every day, he builds missiles of mass destruction. What's the difference between that mass destruction and the mass destruction over at Columbine High School?'"

McCollum responded:
"I guess I don't see that specific connection because the missiles that you're talking about were built and designed to defend us from somebody else who would be aggressors against us."

The comment then cuts to a montage of questionable American foreign policy decisions, with the intent to contradict McCollum's statement, and cite examples of how the United States has, in Moore's view, frequently been the aggressor nation.

McCollum has later clarified that the plant no longer produces missiles (the plant manufactured parts for intercontinental ballistic missiles with a nuclear warhead in the mid-1980s), but rockets used for launching satellites. Indeed, the plant was also used to take former nuclear missiles out of service, converting decommissioned Titan missiles into launch vehicles for satellites. [10] Since the interview was conducted in the plant, and on the backdrop of these rockets, David Kopel makes the charge that Moore was misleading his viewers by implying that this particular plant still produced nuclear missiles. [5] Moore later added to his statements from the movie, to say that satellites were equally responsible as nuclear missiles for US-instigated violence, to maintain this point.[11][7]

It should be noted that McCollum, in the part of the interview that is shown, does not refute Moore's statements about Lockheed's weapons manufacture, which implies Moore is attacking (and McCollum is defending) Lockheed in general, not specifically the Littleton plant. As of 2005, Lockheed was still the world's largest defense contractor by revenue, which Moore states in the film.[12]

Moore is also criticized by Richard Bushnell [13] for a cartoon depicting a Ku Klux Klan member becoming the NRA and saying that the NRA was formed "the same year that the Klan became an illegal terrorist organization." While supporters claim that this is satire, critics charge that this misleads the viewers into thinking that the KKK became the NRA or that the NRA was founded by former KKK members. In fact the NRA was founded by anti-Confederate, anti-KKK Union officers, and Ulysses S. Grant, who as U.S. President signed the order declaring the KKK illegal, later became the NRA's eighth president.

Another criticism of Moore has to do with his editing of several Charlton Heston speeches. He juxtaposes Columbine pictures with footage of Heston saying "from my cold dead, hands" and says that Heston held a rally ten days afterwards, then shows footage of Heston saying that he is refusing the demand "Don't come here" because "we're already here". David Hardy makes the charge that this juxtaposition implies that Heston deliberately held a rally after Columbine. The NRA however cancelled all Denver events except for an annual meeting required by the group's bylaws and by New York State law.[14][15] The "cold, dead, hands" remark was from a different meeting a year later, and the "we're already here" remark was edited in from a different part of the speech, while Moore edited out lines where Heston says he is cancelling the events. [16] [17]

Regarding the shooting of Kayla Rolland, David Hardy also accuses Moore of misleading editing when he says "Just as he did after the Columbine shooting, Charlton Heston showed up in Flint, to have a big pro-gun rally." Hardy points out that Moore does not mention that the rally was eight months afterwards rather than immediate, nor that the rally was a "get out the vote" rally done at a time when Bush, Gore, and Moore himself were at rallies.[18] Moore also shows a web page saying "48 hours after Kayla Rolland was pronounced dead" which, Hardy charges, implies that Heston had the rally 48 hours after the shooting, when the full quote from the web page refers not to Heston, but to Bill Clinton appearing on The Today Show 48 hours after the shooting. [19] [20]

Richard Bushnell also accuses Moore of omitting facts about Kayla Rolland's shooter when he says that "no one knew why the little boy wanted to shoot the little girl". Bushnell points to reports in the Dayton Daily News and Deseret News that suggest that the boy had already been suspended once for stabbing a student with a pencil, that his father was in jail, and that his uncle (from whose house he got the gun) was a drug dealer and the gun had been stolen and exchanged for drugs. [21]

Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte and Charlton Heston on the 1963 Civil Rights March on Washington, D.C. Sculpture of Abraham Lincoln behind.

Bushnell also points to a part of the movie where Moore quotes Charlton Heston as saying that the US has a violence problem because "we had enough problems with civil rights in the beginning," implying that he and the NRA are racist. Heston's supporters say he was a strong supporter of civil rights in the 1960's and that Heston's remark most likely refers to racism being a cause of violence, not to a racist belief that blacks are the cause of violence. [22]

Criticism from anti-gun groups
Moore argues that high gun ownership is not responsible for violence in America, and instead argues that there must be something about the American psyche and the media that makes the nation uniquely prone to high rates of murder and shootings. David Hardy questions how Moore can blame TV news for youth violence after having rejected movies and videogames as possible factors.[9] Gun control advocates argue that it is the higher rates of gun ownership, especially handgun ownership, that are to blame for the higher gunshot homicide rate in the US.

In support of his claims, Moore argues that Canadian gun ownership levels are as high as the U.S. Ben Fritz in Spinsanity considers this misleading because "Moore ignores the fact that Canada has significantly fewer handguns and a much stricter gun licensing system."[23] The 1996 International Crime (Victim) Survey from the Canada Department of Justice found that handguns were owned by 6.02% to 16.07% of households, depending on the province (the remainder being shotguns or long guns).[24] By contrast, gun deaths in the U.S. are generally related to handguns in inner cities. It is easier to legally purchase a handgun in the United States than in any other industrialized nation.[citation needed] In Bowling for Columbine, Moore claims that it is easy to buy guns in Canada too, and attempts to prove this by buying some ammunition.

Criticism from liberals
The American Prospect published a piece by Garance Franke-Ruta criticizing the movie for ignoring the role that municipal governance plays in crime in America, and ignoring African-American urban victims of crime to focus on the unusual events of Columbine. "A decline in murders in New York City alone—from 1,927 in 1993 to 643 in 2001 — had, for example, a considerable impact on the declining national rate. Not a lot of those killers or victims were the sort of sports-hunters or militiamen Moore goes out of his way to interview and make fun of."[25]

Canada
When comparing the ethnicities of Canada and the United States, Moore states that "Canada is 13% non white" and "we're pretty much the same." Moore counts Hispanics, who comprise approximately 13% of the U.S. population, as 'non-White'. By that definition Canada is about 18% non white, while the United States population is more than 30% non-white. Canada's minority demographics also differ from those of the United States — overall, Canada has a much smaller population of blacks and Hispanics, while at the same time having a higher percentage of Chinese and other Asians.

The film also paints Canada as free from problems like those at Columbine, but makes no mention of the École Polytechnique massacre in which a man by the name of Marc Lépine killed more students at a college in Montreal in 1989 than the Columbine shooters did at Columbine ten years later. The Dawson College shooting further calls Moore's claims into question. [baracine: This is the subject of the present thread, remember?]

Non-gun related criticism
Critics point to a passage saying that the US gave $245 million to "Taliban-ruled Afghanistan" (see above). Although literally correct in the sense that the US did give the aid, its placement in a list of evil acts by the US and its careful wording suggest that the US gave the aid to the Taliban, when in fact this was humanitarian aid that was sent through the UN and nongovernmental organizations, and was intended to bypass the Taliban.

In the same "What a Wonderful World" sequence Moore claims that the United States trained and gave money to Osama bin Laden's terrorist groups. However, the bipartisan 9/11 Commission concluded in chapter 2 of its final report that the United States gave bin Laden himself little or no money or training. [26] They cite a passage from Ayman Al-Zawahiri's biography Knights Under the Prophet's Banner in which he denies accepting any money from the US. [27] Bin Laden has also denied receiving money from the US. Large factions critical of American Foreign policy have maintained that the United States government in all probability supported and even funded bin Laden's Maktab al-Khadamat organization following the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan (as the MAK and the United States both opposed the Soviet presence there), though the US government and the CIA have denied this, claiming they gave aid only to Afghan fighters, not the MAK. Former support of the Mujahideen in Afghanistan by the American government during this time is likewise common knowledge and widely accepted by most.

Former CIA officials have denied distributing any aid.[28] "While it is impossible to prove a negative, all available evidence suggests that bin Laden was never funded, trained or armed by the CIA," said Richard Miniter in a Fox News report.

Dave Kopel has also accused Moore of misrepresenting the contents of a plaque on the B-52 bomber's display at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs and of trying to equate "fighting enemy pilots and perpetrating war crimes against civilians" by showing the Vietnam War era B-52 Bomber immediately after showing footage of airplanes hitting the World Trade Center[5]. Brendan Nyhan, writing for Spinsanity, has directly criticized Moore on the grounds that his "phrasing insinuates that the plaque praises the bombing of civilians"[29]

Moore states that "...the plaque underneath it proudly proclaims that this plane killed Vietnamese people on Christmas Eve 1972..." while according to the Colorado-Mall website the plaque reads: "Dedicated to the men and women of the Strategic Air Command who flew and maintained the B-52D throughout its 26 year history in the command. Aircraft 55,003, with over 15,000 flying hours, is one of two B-52's credited with a confirmed MIG kill during the Vietnam conflict. Flying out of Utapao Royal Thai Naval Airfield in southeast Thailand, the crew of 'Diamond Lil' shot down a MIG northeast of Hanoi during "Linebacker II" action on Christmas eve 1972." [30]

Criticism from Trey Parker and Matt Stone
Bowling for Columbine includes a brief interview with South Park co-creator Matt Stone, who suggests that South Park was largely inspired by Stone' s childhood experiences in Littleton, Colorado. Stone presents a vision of Littleton as painfully normal, and highly intolerant of non-conformist behavior. In a segment that followed, an uncredited cartoon in a style somewhat reminiscent of South Park is featured, depicting the National Rifle Association and Ku Klux Klan as interchangeable evil organizations. However, this sequence was not the work of Matt Stone, nor that of Trey Parker. It became a point of contention between the two and Moore, as they believed Moore meant to imply they had contributed to his film beyond the interview. [31] Subsequent releases attempted to distance this implication by delaying the animation until ten minutes later in the film, and correctly crediting the animation. The animation was in fact made by FlickerLab and written by Moore. According to Stone and Parker,[31] the appearance of Moore as a suicide bomber in their 2004 film Team America: World Police is their sardonic response to this incident.

Last edited by baracine; 09-20-06 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-20-06, 09:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fmian
I think you missed the point of my post, just as I think you have misunderstood the movie. I was pointing out the irony that you believe the movie did bad by having a biased point of view by pointing the finger [...]at the NRA, and you try to combat this by your own biased point of view, pointing the finger at the media. My saying that this thread is making things worse, and you not accepting that is just affirmation of your biased point of view.
This statement is devoid of logic. Just as this one would be:

"My saying that 'Bowling for Columbine' is making things worse, and you not accepting that is just affirmation of your biased point of view."

Or this one, simplified to its basic components:

"The fact that you disagree with me proves that you're wrong".

Or, as I once heard two movers say, after they had dropped a piano:

"Me stupid?! You stupid!!"

A productive discussion needs arguments, not just finger-pointing, which is all that is left of "Bowling for Columbine" after a cursory analysis. See my previous post ... if it's not too much trouble, of course.

Last edited by baracine; 09-20-06 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-20-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This statement is devoid of logic. Just as this one would be:

"My saying that 'Bowling for Columbine' is making things worse, and you not accepting that is just affirmation of your biased point of view."

Or this one, simplified to its basic components:

"The fact that you disagree with me proves that you're wrong".

Or, as I once heard two movers say, after they had dropped a piano:

"Me stupid?! You stupid!!"

A productive discussion needs arguments, not just finger-pointing, which is all that is left of "Bowling for Columbine" after a cursory analysis. See my previous post ... if it's not too much trouble, of course.
If you still don't understand what I'm trying to say then I'm not about to keep trying. Just don't change the things that I have typed. I know you didn't put it in quotes but you changed it subtly enough to make it sound like my original statement.
Old 09-20-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
People probably saw what they wanted, or didn't see it and "saw" what they thought it was about.

Here is my take....I thought it was a pretty disjointed movie to begin with, but it came down to this.....

Guns are not the problem, just look at Canada and how many guns they have.
Video games are not the problem, just look at Japan and their games.
Lots of things are not the problem....but look at the "culture of fear" that is brought on by the media. That is the real problem.
But let's go back to guns rather than actually pursue the one thing that we decided is the problem. Maybe use some kids and try to make some stupid points at K-mart, because we sure don't want to actually look more at the culture of fear that the media spreads in the name of ratings. And let's go get the NRA even though we have already shown that guns are not the problem.

I watched it and came to that conclusion. Then I watched it again. Still had the same conclusion. I don't even think that was the conclusion Moore wanted to come up with, but watch it again, and tell me what I am missing if you think I am wrong.
Old 09-21-06, 08:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kvrdave
People probably saw what they wanted, or didn't see it and "saw" what they thought it was about.

Here is my take....I thought it was a pretty disjointed movie to begin with, but it came down to this.....

Guns are not the problem, just look at Canada and how many guns they have.
Video games are not the problem, just look at Japan and their games.
Lots of things are not the problem....but look at the "culture of fear" that is brought on by the media. That is the real problem.
But let's go back to guns rather than actually pursue the one thing that we decided is the problem. Maybe use some kids and try to make some stupid points at K-mart, because we sure don't want to actually look more at the culture of fear that the media spreads in the name of ratings. And let's go get the NRA even though we have already shown that guns are not the problem.

I watched it and came to that conclusion. Then I watched it again. Still had the same conclusion. I don't even think that was the conclusion Moore wanted to come up with, but watch it again, and tell me what I am missing if you think I am wrong.
I agree with you that the film has fuzzy logic: guns matter and then, they don't matter. The main point of the movie is a political statement to the effect that the US government (with the complicity of the news media) imposes a culture of fear and suspicion among its citizens in order to govern without interference (i.e. wage war abroad with impunity and control its citizens' actions at the expense of democratic principles).

This is a long way from explaning anything about the motives that push teens to regularly shoot at their classmates. So the film is not really about what it's supposed to be about (Columbine) and its logic is faulty, especially the conclusions Moore draws from the way things are in Canada, which have all been invalidated by the Dawson College massacre and didn't make much sense to begin with.

There is a very long list of examples of faulty logic in this film. The one that irritates me the most is the way Moore absolutely discounts the influence of violent media from the very beginning of his film. If he hadn't made that particular leap of logic - OK, call it an assumption - he wouldn't have a film to begin with.

This prompts me to conclude that Moore's first love is not "the truth", logic or justice, it's showbiz and the defense of the interests of showbiz, i.e. being as entertaining as is humanly possible while making the maximum amount of money in the shortest time possible and deflecting any criticism away from the entertainment industry to which he belongs and which has rewarded him with huge profits and awards. Michael Moore has an Oscar where his heart should be...

BTW, the British have made a real documentary on what Michael Moore's film is really about called "The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear" (2004) (see: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430484/combined ), which was shown on Canadian television but, unfortunately, probably never will be shown in America, not even on DVD (except at two US festivals, so far).

The film's official site ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/4202741.stm ) states that its three hours of television might be turned into a feature-length theatre presentation.

My IMDb comment: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430484/usercomments-8

Last edited by baracine; 09-21-06 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-21-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Moore's film was not about Columbine (and the drama's of teen pressure in school). If you think it was then you are wrong. It's about questioning our attitude towards guns.
The phrase "bowling for columbine" is a metaphor.
as that seems to be our attitude towards tackling our social problems.
Moore is a lifetime member of the NRA, but I don't see him "gun toting"
Old 09-21-06, 10:02 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Moore's film was not about Columbine (and the drama's of teen pressure in school). If you think it was then you are wrong.
I agree with you that it is not about Columbine. But the title seems to imply that it is and that is what attracted such a vast audience to it, not the possibility that it might be an indictment of the US government's politics of fear. The title does exploit the commercial potential of the school massacre.

Of course, that is not the only misleading thing about the title as it has now been demonstrated that the perpetrators did not go bowling the morning of the massacre, another example of Moore's "fuzzy logic" (from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_for_Columbine ):

Bowling
The film title originates from the early myth that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, the two boys responsible for the Columbine High School massacre, went bowling early that morning, at 6:00 am, before they committed the attacks at school starting at 11:18 am. However, that assertion has turned out to be a myth that originated from several testimonies of distressed witnesses who accidentally forgot that they had been absent that day.[1] Moore suggests that it is as reasonable to blame their actions on bowling as it is to blame them on violent video games, movies, and music (during the aftermath of the shooting, many used the opportunity to denounce Marilyn Manson and The Matrix, claiming a connection between violence in the media and violence in schools).

Moore incorporates the concept of bowling in other ways as well (beyond the 6 am rumor). Ironically, a militia in Michigan uses bowling pins for their target practice. When interviewing former classmates of the two boys, Moore notes that the students took a bowling class in place of physical education. Moore notes this might have very little educational value and the girls he interviews generally agreed. The girls note how Harris and Klebold had a very introverted lifestyle and a very careless attitude towards the game and nobody thought twice about it. This calls into question the state of the school system (a fact strongly reinforced by Matt Stone). Moore asks the question of whether the school system is responding to the state of today's troubled youth or if they are simply reinforcing the concept of fear to the children and allowing the youth to wallow in this façade. Moore also interviews two young residents of Oscoda, Michigan, in a local bowling alley and in the process learns that guns are relatively easy to come by in the small town. Eric Harris spent some of his early years in Oscoda while his father was serving in the U.S. Air Force.
As I said before - as recently as post #98 - Moore's film is about the political uses of fear, but if you want a real documentary on the subject, see: "The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear" (2004) ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430484/combined ).

As for Michael Moore being "gun-toting", I don't want to appear to resort to muckraking in view of the malicious false story planted by the Fox network concerning Michael Moore's bodyguard being arrested in a New York airport for carrying a weapon for which he didn't have a permit. The story was retracted by Fox after a statement issued by the agency that employed the bodyguard in question: the bodyguard was never arrested and he did declare the weapon for which he did not have a permit. But the fact remains that Michael Moore does employ armed bodyguards, well-behaved, law-abiding, permit-carrying armed bodyguards. When you're as rich as he is, it makes sense to hire someone to carry your guns in your stead.

Last edited by baracine; 09-21-06 at 02:05 PM.