DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Shilling for Columbine ... Michael Moore's film and the latest Montreal massacre (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/477659-shilling-columbine-michael-moores-film-latest-montreal-massacre.html)

baracine 09-14-06 08:48 AM

Shilling for Columbine ... Michael Moore's film and the latest Montreal massacre

I have just posted this comment about "Bowling for Columbine" on the IMDb. I reprint here as it will probably be lost in the shuffle.

I was prompted to do this by the latest Montreal massacre (yesterday) where a black-clad Megadeth fan opened fire in Dawson College in downtown Montreal. Fact: Canada has the most stringent gun-registry system in the world...

The news: http://news.google.ca/nwshp?hl=en&ta.../National/home

Columbine just hit Montreal... and Michael Moore is still part of the problem!

As I write this, a disenfranchised Goth Megadeth fan has just opened fire in a Montreal college… and people are referring back to Columbine, occasionally praising Michael Moore's documentary.

I couldn't disagree more. Michael Moore is a gun-toting yahoo who is a lifetime member of the NRA and would have you believe that he is an anti-gun activist, an ecologist who drives a SUV, a populist filmmaker who dresses like a pig farmer and lives in a million-dollar mansion, and an anti-Bush activist who helped elect and re-elect Bush by voting for Ralph Nader. His film "Bowling for Columbine" received an Oscar from Hollywood because Hollywood was so glad that at least one film about Columbine put it off the hook for producing entertainment glorifying crime and violence non-stop. His very next project, "Fahrenheit 9/11" received the Palme d'Or in Cannes from a jury headed by Quentin Tarantino, who is the foremost American provider of films glorifying violent crime.

What is more to the point, Moore's film is misleading, superficial and doesn't address any of the real reasons of the Columbine massacre: disenfranchised youths who are marginalized by institutional school bullying from jocks, and absent parents, who turn to America's violent images-of-death subculture - which is rapidly becoming mainstream - for solace. He takes the blame off violent TV shows and films, violent video games and violent heavy metal music.

He even has Marilyn Manson, the perpetrators' supposed favourite act, do a tie-in video for his DVD edition in a very lucrative deal for both parties and speak words of wisdom in an interview. He blames everything on the NRA and poor Charlton Heston. Well, guess what, we don't have the NRA in Canada and black-clad Goth victims of bullying and exclusion, who have just listened to Megadeth's maudlin ode to murder-suicide "A tout le monde" for inspiration, are still packing guns and shooting randomly in the streets.

Maybe Moore's cute little film should be retired from the market as being produced under false pretences, dangerous to your mental health and your power of reasoning. Michael Moore, I blame you for the continuing violence!
I know I have been known to rant before. But this is my feeling.

http://www.torontosun.com/FrontPage/...rsuncover1.jpg

JacksModernLife 09-14-06 10:54 AM

well...this is America...where everyone has opinions and no one cares

FinkPish 09-14-06 12:04 PM

I wonder if this shouldn't go into Politics and World Events, since I can't see this discussion of the movie as being relevant to this forum.

joeblow69 09-14-06 12:06 PM

oooooh, you gotta watch out for those Megadeth fans! -ohbfrank-

Fanboy 09-14-06 12:24 PM

I can't understand what your point is, and I certainly can't understand why you're trying to make your lack of point in the Movie Talk forum.

majorjoe23 09-14-06 12:50 PM

All I have to say is:

WAAAHUH?

maxfisher 09-14-06 12:58 PM

I really don't find this analysis of the cause of violent crimes to be any more insightful or less inane than Bowling for Columbine.

NitroJMS 09-14-06 01:32 PM

So it's Michael Moore's fault the guy was probably just insane?

baracine 09-14-06 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
So it's Michael Moore's fault the guy was probably just insane?

I'm blaming Michael Moore for making such a success of a supposed documentary that totally missed the point of its own subject. He never said anything interesting or believable about what caused Columbine except for a debatable political and very general point about America' s obsession with guns and their general availability, which is not the case in Canada (as he so amply pointed out).

The film was a feeble excuse for veering the blame away from all forms of violent entertainment and that's where its awards come from.

DealMan 09-14-06 03:27 PM

Hey here's an idea Baracine, next time when you decide to post something, have a point.

Josh-da-man 09-14-06 03:28 PM

Yep... Heavy metal music, video games, and Michael Moore. That's the trifecta.

Numanoid 09-14-06 03:47 PM

Worst.thread.ever.

Mr. Salty 09-14-06 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by baracine
The film was of feeble excuse for veering the blame away from all forms of violent entertainment and that's where its awards come from.

Ah, yes, I pine for the glory days before the movie industry, when there was no violence in the world.

Baracine, your belief that Tarantino is behind all the evils of the world is simplistic, ill-informed, naive and laughable.

dugan 09-14-06 04:16 PM

He even has Marilyn Manson, the perpetrators' favourite act...

Untrue.

neither Marilyn Manson nor the Goths had anything whatsoever to do with the killers, who had nothing but contempt for the music.
Salon News | Inside the Colubine High Invesigation

GoldenJCJ 09-14-06 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Ah, yes, I pine for the glory days before the movie industry, when there was no violence in the world.

Hell, that was a hundred years ago! I miss the good old days pre-2002 when Canada had never had a violent incident. EVER!

BTW, the worst mass shooting in Canada history took place in 1989. 10 years before Columbine and 13 years before Bowling for Columbine.

baracine 09-14-06 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Hell, that was a hundred years ago! I miss the good old days pre-2002 when Canada had never had a violent incident. EVER!

BTW, the worst mass shooting in Canada history took place in 1989. 10 years before Columbine and 13 years before Bowling for Columbine.

... and no one here blamed those murders on "America's obsession with guns" as Michael Moore did.

Nesbit 09-14-06 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by DealMan
Hey here's an idea Baracine, next time when you decide to post something, have a point.

It makes it so much more enjoyable for the reader.

thebunk 09-14-06 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by JacksModernLife
well...this is America...where everyone has opinions and no one cares

No, THIS is the Internet. America is not the world.

PopcornTreeCt 09-14-06 06:32 PM

I really enjoyed Gus Van Sant's Elephant as a poignant foray into the mind of student killers. Aside from the gay sex, it was pretty good.

As for Bowling for Columbine and the NRA, that's kinda like blaming those damn 7-11s for making it so easy to buy alcohol on drunk driving deaths.

baracine 09-14-06 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by dugan
neither Marilyn Manson nor the Goths had anything whatsoever to do with the killers, who had nothing but contempt for the music.

You know that, Marilyn Manson knows that and, presumably, Michael Moore knows that. But that didn't stop Michael Moore inviting Manson to talk and perform in his film on that premise, therefore turning this morbid opportunity into a money making deal over the graves of the victims and propagating a misunderstanding while avoiding the general question of what made those madmen tick.

dugan 09-14-06 07:04 PM

You know that, Marilyn Manson knows that and, presumably, Michael Moore knows that.

And as you indicate now, you also know that Eric and Dylan were not Marilyn Manson fans. So why did you write the EXACT OPPOSITE in your imdb review?

But that didn't stop Michael Moore inviting Manson to talk and perform in his film

He even has Marilyn Manson, the perpetrators' favourite act, do a tie-in video for his film
No he didn't. Marilyn Manson's Holy Wood album, which contains "The Fight Song," was released a full year before the movie. The video to that song, which we see a few seconds of in Bowling for Columbine, was released to promote the album.

Numanoid 09-14-06 07:30 PM

... and no one here blamed those murders on "America's obsession with guns" as Michael Moore did.

But that didn't stop Michael Moore inviting Manson to talk and perform in his film

Have you even seen Bowling For Columbine?

FinkPish 09-14-06 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Have you even seen Bowling For Columbine?

No, he just likes to RAGE against things.

baracine 09-14-06 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by dugan
And as you indicate now, you also know that Eric and Dylan were not Marilyn Manson fans. So why did you write the EXACT OPPOSITE in your imdb review?

Because, like millions of viewers, I was conned into that lie by Michael Moore, in that little film he made called "Bowling for Columbine", remember? There were so many wrong assumptions to question in that film, I didn't think to question that one, since the film implied that it was actually endorsed by Manson himself.

And Manson did include his entire videoclip into the "Bowling for Columbine" DVD as an attractive value-added extra, just in case he could sell a few extra copies of his album, presumably...

Thanks to your input, I have modified my IMDb comment and my first entry in this thread.:editking:

dugan 09-14-06 08:26 PM

Thanks to your input, I have modified my IMDb comment and my first entry in this thread.
You mean you actually needed me to tell you that Marilyn Manson didn't perform for the movie?