Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top 25 cult films of all time - from boston.com

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Top 25 cult films of all time - from boston.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
One of the better lists I have seen.
Old 08-07-07, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a list by Ccfmds from my blog site nerdsociety.com:

My list of the Top 10 Cult Films of all Time

1. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott’s mind-blowing futuristic film is one of the most influential science fiction films of all time, also featuring a great new-age/electronic score from Vangelis)

2. Donnie Darko (the cult film that made became the battle cry for emo goths everywhere, a truly original experience that grows more popular every year, dumped by the studio, it made millions on DVD)

3. Heathers (Heathers is another cult film that inspired seemingly dozens of teen comedies, right up to, and including, Mean Girls)

4. Clerks (the profane and hilarious comedy that made Kevin Smith a household name started as a black and white film made for practically nothing, as a bonus, the sequel was surprisingly funny)

5. Brick (the ultra-hip film noir set in high school, starring Joseph Gordon Leavitt, an under-seen gem)

6. Equilibrium (Christian Bale stars in the science fiction action drama that is better than The Matrix and one of the most popular DVD sellers of recent years…….not bad for a 20 million dollar flick dumped by Harvey Weinstein)

7. American Psycho (the film that helped make Christian Bale a star actually wasn’t a huge box office hit and reviews were good but not great, looking back, it seems better and sharper than ever)

8. Ghost in the Shell (the anime that started it all as far as cyberpunk is concerned, a source of inspiration for Matrix and many other live action films to this day)

9. Hard Boiled (John Woo’s ultra-violent masterwork with a cool as ice Chow Yun Fat and about 1,000 bloody slo-motion deaths)

10. Mysterious Skin (Gregg Araki’s best film, its a cult film because even though not that many people have seen it, those who do talk about it and recommend it, word of mouth for the film is phenomenal)
Old 08-07-07, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Here's a list by Ccfmds from my blog site nerdsociety.com:

My list of the Top 10 Cult Films of all Time

1. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott’s mind-blowing futuristic film is one of the most influential science fiction films of all time, also featuring a great new-age/electronic score from Vangelis)

2. Donnie Darko (the cult film that made became the battle cry for emo goths everywhere, a truly original experience that grows more popular every year, dumped by the studio, it made millions on DVD)

3. Heathers (Heathers is another cult film that inspired seemingly dozens of teen comedies, right up to, and including, Mean Girls)

4. Clerks (the profane and hilarious comedy that made Kevin Smith a household name started as a black and white film made for practically nothing, as a bonus, the sequel was surprisingly funny)

5. Brick (the ultra-hip film noir set in high school, starring Joseph Gordon Leavitt, an under-seen gem)

6. Equilibrium (Christian Bale stars in the science fiction action drama that is better than The Matrix and one of the most popular DVD sellers of recent years…….not bad for a 20 million dollar flick dumped by Harvey Weinstein)

7. American Psycho (the film that helped make Christian Bale a star actually wasn’t a huge box office hit and reviews were good but not great, looking back, it seems better and sharper than ever)

8. Ghost in the Shell (the anime that started it all as far as cyberpunk is concerned, a source of inspiration for Matrix and many other live action films to this day)

9. Hard Boiled (John Woo’s ultra-violent masterwork with a cool as ice Chow Yun Fat and about 1,000 bloody slo-motion deaths)

10. Mysterious Skin (Gregg Araki’s best film, its a cult film because even though not that many people have seen it, those who do talk about it and recommend it, word of mouth for the film is phenomenal)
let me guess...you're 19?
Old 08-07-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This list actually isn't all that half bad.
Old 08-07-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting. Out of curiosity, is Brick getting a cult following?
Old 08-07-07, 09:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Interesting. Out of curiosity, is Brick getting a cult following?

sadly yes.... this movie screams out for a cult following.
Old 08-07-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Only one that has me scratching my head is Showgirls. Cult following? Really?
Old 08-07-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Only one that has me scratching my head is Showgirls. Cult following? Really?
I think I'm one of the few who sees "Showgirls" as a deliberate satire of "female empowerment" movies. It's not hard to believe it is seeing as it's coming from a man who directed "Starship Troopers" (one of my favorite comedies) and Robocop.

Seen it that light, Showgirls is actually a fairly good movie, IMO.
Old 08-07-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
sadly yes.... this movie screams out for a cult following.
I hadn't heard about it getting much run as a cult flick. Good. It needs an audience, because Brick's way too entertaining a film to not have anyone watching.
Old 08-07-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm sorry, any list that doesn't include Rocky Horror Picture Show is incomplete. I'm neither a fan nor have I ever seen the movie, but it plays weekly where I live and this is a small town.
Old 08-07-07, 01:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
'Holy Grail' has more fans than 'Meaning of Life' - I mean shit they made a musical of it.