Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fantasic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fantasic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
They should bring in FireLord. He was Galactus' other herald. It would be cool to see him fight Johnny Storm.
Old 08-17-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kudama
If he shaved his head, Robert Patrick could nail the role!
As a geek that very thought gave me chills. Shame they will go much younger for the role. Oh well.
Old 08-17-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That'd be cool if they made Silver Surfer a true surfer and said "Dude" a lot.
Old 08-17-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They have to at least get the rights to the Joe Satriani track for this. I wouldn't be able to picture him on the surfboard without the music.
Old 08-17-06, 07:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MASAMUNE2
Originally, Silver Surfer was a bad guy. Galactus turned him into his herald, turning his skin into indestructible silver and giving him his abilities along with his surfboard which allows him to fly at the speed of light. As herald to Galactus, the Surfer would scout out different planets and prepare them to be sucked dry (eaten) by Galactus, Devourer of Worlds.

Then Surfer rebelled against Galactus and became enemy to him, eventually becoming a good guy.

I'm really stoked that the Silver Surfer is in the new sequel but why have Doom return??? Dumb. They should have Galactus there instead.

Anyhow, I'll be there to see this movie definately.

I thought the Fantastic Four movie was unfairly bashed. It was a fun popcorn flick.
To be completely correct, the Silver Surfer was a denizen of a planet that Galactus was planning to devour. He struck a bargain with Galactus to become his herald in order that Galactus spare his home planet, which Galactus did. Galactus them made him into the Silver Surfer, and he was his herald until he went to Earth and met Ben Grimm's girlfriend, who taught him the error of his ways. He rebelled but instead of killing him, Galactus banished him to remain on Earth as punishment.

This movie could be good. If they're going to use Doom again, I hope they actually make him something other than just a pretty boy who shoots energy. They got his megalomania right in the film, but not his genius. He's a mental peer to Reed Richards, but he goes around using a rocket launcher? Talk about pathetic.

Also, I wonder if this film will introduce The Watcher, one of my personal favorite Marvel Comics characters.
Old 08-17-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Perhaps Doom will steal The Surfer's cosmic power and board, flying around creating destruction as he did in FF #57-60.
Old 08-17-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As for the numbers in sequels thing, I read an article in EW that said studios have shied away from that the higher the number the more likely people are to stay away. I guess it's better that people don't know its a sequel. But there is Spider-Man 3.
Old 08-17-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
Perhaps Doom will steal The Surfer's cosmic power and board, flying around creating destruction as he did in FF #57-60.
Nah, that would be waaay too cool for them to do.

With two major antagonists, I smell another Batman Forever.
Old 08-17-06, 10:02 PM
Banned by request

I don't know, it's not like the first film was up to the bar set by Batman (Burton or Nolan). Batman Forever would be a step up.
Old 08-17-06, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats
That'd be cool if they made Silver Surfer a true surfer and said "Dude" a lot.
Heck ya! Summon Paul Walker!
Old 08-17-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I liked the 1st one so I'm ready for this one.

So does this mean Galactus will appear? Galactus is one of my favorite characters from that other comic company.
Old 08-18-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I thought the first one was decent, I enjoyed it.

The Silver Surfer? Um...hmm...
Like Daredevil, F4 was made for the young crowd with the rock soundtrack and the dumbed down script.
I'd love to see another one if they actually fleshed the characters out.

I thought Silver Surfer was a good guy. No?
Old 08-18-06, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should get Michael Rosenbaum to play Silver Surfer.
Old 08-18-06, 01:06 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by riley_dude

I thought Silver Surfer was a good guy. No?
There are at least two posts in this thread already that explain the Silver Surfer's backstory.
Old 08-18-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed FF and this sounds like an interesting concept, but seems that it would be a an expensive movie to make. I mean, yeah Spiderman justifies spending that type of money since it is shown to be able to bring back the money, but does FF? I remember it doing ok in the theatres but not astronomical.
Old 08-18-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Almost. If it was "Fantastic Four: If This Be The Rise of the Surfer" it would be Stan Lee-esque.

You were this close to nailing it.

"As the Fantastic Four Came-A-Calling... Lo, If This Be The Rise of the Surfer!"

Old 08-18-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Also, I wonder if this film will introduce The Watcher, one of my personal favorite Marvel Comics characters.
Maybe they'll introduce Adam Warlock, laying the ground work for the great ensemble movie ever ... the Infinity Gauntlet.
Old 08-18-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish

"As the Fantastic Four Came-A-Calling... Lo, If This Be The Rise of the Surfer!"

Nuff said, true believer.
Old 08-18-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Nuff said, true believer.

Your No-Prize is in the mail.
Old 08-18-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
I think you mean The Surfer's Power Cosmic.
Old 08-18-06, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kudama
If he shaved his head, Robert Patrick could nail the role!
interesting choice...i never would have thought of him...we'll have to see who they pick!?
Old 08-18-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hear Vin Diesel's lobbying for the role.
Old 08-18-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish

"...And Upon Them Shall Come The Surfer"
Old 08-18-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
"A Rollicking Romp in the Merry Marvel Manner."
Old 08-19-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If there's one thing that's good about Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, it's that director Tim Story seems to be doing all he can to ensure folks actually like this one. Recently, Story stopped by his blog to give an update on the film. Here's a quick recap of said update:

Right now, Story and the gang are working very hard at improving Michael Chiklis' (The Thing) suit in an effort to make the character more agile. Most of these changes came based on the fan's reaction to the way The Thing looked in the first film. One such fan-related change comes in the form of a bigger brow. Oh, and the dude will be wearing more clothes too. Says story, "Now that he's comfortable with himself, we can have more fun with his appearance. Wait until you see him in his tux."
According to the blog entry, it seems Julian McMahon (Dr. Doom) is not only back onboard for the sequel, but his face will actually be seen ... not just heard. This announcement looks to be garnering a ton of mixed messages from the fans, as Dr. Doom isn't supposed to be seen. Could we be talking flashback here? What do you think?
Another controversial move has to do with the altering of Dr. Doom's mask. Story notes, "There's a more evil tone to it. I've been working on a maquette of the entire Doom look, complete with armor with my friends at Spectral Motion (the guys who brought you Thing, Beast, Juggernaut, Hellboy, etc...) The look is madd cool. I think you guys will like it."
And, finally, on The Silver Surfer: "Yes, now the question that I keep getting asked too many times...Doug Jones or no Doug Jones. Here's the low down. Doug has been working on a number of things regarding the Surfer. In order for the presence of the CGI SS to appear and move real, we need someone to perfect movement and provide a base, to which WETA can do their thing. That the jest of it. I don't know what that confirms for you guys but there you go."
linky

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.