Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Children Of Men (merged/spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Children Of Men (merged/spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by f1shf00d
I just saw this and a question: at one point in the movie, Clive Owen seems to really hurt his foot and the continues to limp throughout the movie....either it's really good continuity or he really got hurt during the shoot....does anyone know if he really hurt his foot? ....
Spoiler:
He was only wearing sandals..or maybe nothing at all, and stepped on some glass I believe
The following users liked this post:
David heinrich (04-04-20)
Old 01-08-07, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting to see this discussion is so political. I have a lot of "why" questions on here that I'm not sure are political. I hope this doesn't give away too much, but I was wondering why you think (or how the movie validated) that most characters were almost entirely inhumane, while a few were extremely humane.
Old 01-08-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Went to see it this afternoon, I thought it was pretty good. Slow starting but got pretty good, One I dont need to see again, but I liked it, Didnt expect all the graphic violence though. 8/10
Old 01-08-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought this was amazing, like a bruce willis film envisioned by Godard
Old 01-08-07, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just saw this on IMDB regarding the combat scene we were talking about earlier.

Spoiler:
Yes. Even though the blood on the lens disappears after a short time, the entire sequence is one take. There are no invisible cuts. Cuaron said, "The blood was great, but after a while, it started to feel like it was on your face." He hired a digital artist to remove it, and they had to go frame by frame to do so. Full article can be found here:
http://www.accessatlanta.com/movies/content/movies/stories/2006/12/28/1229MMscene.html

I wondered if this was the case.
Old 01-09-07, 01:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
the blood disapears in the car scene too.

also all the people on the road seem to disapear when the camera pans back infront of the car but i guess they went a lot farther down the road.
Old 01-09-07, 03:05 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Theo limps because he sprained his ankle. This happens right after he
Spoiler:
asks Sid to take a look at his car battery.

you're just gonna have to watch it again to catch it.
Old 01-09-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I caught that, but we don't know if that was choreographed in the action sequence, or something that happened while filming (since we don't know if everything was filmed in sequence or out of sequence depending on what type of setup was needed to get the shots).
Old 01-09-07, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I had some huge problems with the movie which I think might have ruined my enjoyment of it

Help me clear these up

Spoiler:
Finally, the suggestion that they go public with the pregnancy...WHY NOT?!?!?! That made ABSOLUTLY no sence. The government would never let the fact that a black girl was pregnant be known?!?!? What the hell did that mean? It was at that point that the movie was killed for me. The presence of a baby brought two warring armies to a standstill, yet this baby would be in danger?!?!?
So according to this film, the government would rather the human race die than have a black baby be born....someone, anyone explain what the fuck this was all about
my thoughts:
Spoiler:
I agree with that since we see the soldiers cease all hostilities when they see the baby...not one comments on race...and since we already know that the youngest person alive was a celebrity, then it's logical to assume that "Dylan" would be more famous than Princess Di. And also, it doesn't matter that Kee went with the Human Project, since she is able to have kids, she still has a job to do, mainly having lots of babies. So now she will have the babies of scientists, but if she went public, she would have the kids of whichever monarch Britain had, and she would live like a queen! So that part of the plot really confused me since it didn't seem to match what the movie told me earlier. So I felt sorry for Kee that she would be stuck sleeping with old white scientists instead of with Prince William.
Old 01-09-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my thoughts:
Spoiler:
So now she will have the babies of scientists, but if she went public, she would have the kids of whichever monarch Britain had, and she would live like a queen! So that part of the plot really confused me since it didn't seem to match what the movie told me earlier.
Spoiler:

The point was made that if the pregnancy were made public, the baby would be taken from her and raised by an English black-woman...there's no way the youngest person would be allowed to be an illegal-alien.
Old 01-09-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Did they say that?

BTW, I LIKED the fact that it showed that the govmnt AND the rebels were BOTH EVIL, it just was soo incredibly confusing to just why the government was actually bad.

BTW, any woman who appeared out of the blue with a baby would be eximined by every doctor in the world, so the thought that the government would give away her baby is RETARDED.

ALSO, why would Kee's baby invalidate thier immigration policy? One illigal has a baby, and all of a sudden theres gonna be public outcry to admit 3 billion refugees?

And Clive owens decision making was confusing too, he could have called Caines press buddies as soon as he got to the house, but instead risks the life of the only baby on earth so that it can be raised on a boat?!?!?!?!?!
Old 01-09-07, 10:57 PM

cdwow.com has the r3 dvd for sale
Old 01-10-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Did they say that?

BTW, I LIKED the fact that it showed that the govmnt AND the rebels were BOTH EVIL, it just was soo incredibly confusing to just why the government was actually bad.

BTW, any woman who appeared out of the blue with a baby would be eximined by every doctor in the world, so the thought that the government would give away her baby is RETARDED.

ALSO, why would Kee's baby invalidate thier immigration policy? One illigal has a baby, and all of a sudden theres gonna be public outcry to admit 3 billion refugees?

And Clive owens decision making was confusing too, he could have called Caines press buddies as soon as he got to the house, but instead risks the life of the only baby on earth so that it can be raised on a boat?!?!?!?!?!
I think to some extent, the fetus/baby is the pseudo-MacGuffin. As in all MacGuffins we know it is important, and we may even be told why, but we only slightly understand it. I would've liked the explanation to be even a bit more withdrawn so that the audience can fabricate their own reasons (the government themselves is killing babies, etc).

Also, I don't remember there being a mention of any doctor or scientist at all. After all, why do you need a doctor if you're going to die anyway and there's no future. I'm sure most scientists all left to go to the Human Project.

I'm going to assume that Caine's house didn't even have a phone. I believe he was under persecution by the government and/or other groups, that's why his house was in the middle of nowhere and he always watched the skies.

I agree the plot isn't 100% foolproof. But I also believe it doesn't need to be. The problem is that this is basically an action-thriller but because it's so well done and so smart, we don't apply the suspension of disbelief to it as much.
Old 01-10-07, 04:53 PM

my main arguments against the plot, not a wish list, but from what the movie told me (and it's easier to say this in conversation than it is to write it -succinctly-):
Spoiler:

important facts given in the first 5 minutes: illegal immigrants are bad and the youngest person in the world is good. everything else spawns from this. so we have an illegal carrying a baby, good and bad. having a baby is good, so we need to make it bad and have Kee kept off balance: who tells her that her baby will be taken from her? the government-fearing hippies, but Theo tells her to go public. In order to keep him from convincing her, we start the chase. And the rest of the movie becomes an action film and keeps Kee from making a logical decision. So the movie tries to convince us that Kee made the right choice by going to the human project because the government would have taken her baby away, but we don't know that she can't have more babies. Why would the government keep the baby but throw away the baby machine?? It isn't until Kee is in the boat that we're able to think about her situation, and that's when I thought, hey, for the most part, the villains have been the Fish trying to take her baby. The soldiers didn't touch her. So then I start to evaluate the roots of the plot and I think, if people can't reproduce and haven't been able for 18 years, then why are immigrants undesirable? Immigrants are a form of cheap labor. Throughout history, countries have relaxed immigration controls to allow for cheap labor to work in less populated areas. So why would any country turn away all this cheap labor when their resident population is dying off? So the me, the immigration is the faulty part of the plot since I don't believe it would be true. anyway, I'm out of time.....
Old 01-12-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,369 Likes on 931 Posts
Saw this yesterday. Very powerful movie. I kind of got a 28 Days Later vibe from the movie.
Old 01-12-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 202 Posts
I enjoyed this as well, but I must have glossed over some of the points everyone is making here. A second viewing is a must, which I will do when my Region 2 DVD comes in.
Old 01-12-07, 06:24 PM
Banned

my thoughts:
Spoiler:
I agree with that since we see the soldiers cease all hostilities when they see the baby...not one comments on race...and since we already know that the youngest person alive was a celebrity, then it's logical to assume that "Dylan" would be more famous than Princess Di. And also, it doesn't matter that Kee went with the Human Project, since she is able to have kids, she still has a job to do, mainly having lots of babies. So now she will have the babies of scientists, but if she went public, she would have the kids of whichever monarch Britain had, and she would live like a queen! So that part of the plot really confused me since it didn't seem to match what the movie told me earlier. So I felt sorry for Kee that she would be stuck sleeping with old white scientists instead of with Prince William.
Spoiler:
I don't think that she was going to the Human Project to have babies. That solution would basically be to populate Earth with inbred people. Real small gene pool, shorter than short term solution. The scientists were going to use her as a control. Now that they had someone to compare against a sterile woman, they hoped to find the cause and maybe a cure. It was very 12 Monkeys and Y The Last Man in that respect.
Old 01-12-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spoiler:

I agree that I never got the feeling that Kee was going to be used to make more babies. I thought she was going to sort of a safe haven for her. And I don't think the movie was about portraying both sides of being evil as much as it was showing everyone was off their rockers. Evidenced by Sid wanting the baby for his own reasons.

The movie made me think a lot. I really do not like kids at all and I don't see the whole world suddenly falling apart if there weren't anymore. That's just me.

The scene where they Theo enters his cousin? house and they show the statue of David there was impressive. I thought that was a nice touch showing you how art pretty much becomes meaningless if there's no one left to see it anymore.
Old 01-12-07, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This movie is just as good the second time around and it moves faster. At least it did for me; it seemed slower the first time, mostly because my jaw dropped about 2 minutes in and never came back up.

Now, I have a perfect counterargument against one of your main issues with the plot:

Spoiler:
The mistake is thinking that everyone believed the government would hide the baby. The only people who said that were the Fish, a quasi-terrorist organization. Add to that the fact they live on the fringe of an already distrusting, paranoid society and it makes complete sense that they would believe that.

Just think... how many stupid political ideas do you hear on TV, or the radio, or on the internet or in your daily life. This is no exception. That the government would take the baby and claim it as its own, whether is true or not, is a ridiculous idea and the important thing is all the Fish believe it. It doesn't take infertility for people to spread and believe stupid ideas, be they about immigration or race or the military or about science.

So, is it a ridiculous idea that the government would take the baby? Sure. Ridiculous to us and any logical person. But the Fish aren't logical.
Old 01-13-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
True, but then why did Clive Owen buy into it?
Old 01-13-07, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
True, but then why did Clive Owen buy into it?
I think he realized that getting Kee to an outside group, away from the government and any "political" group, was the only way to really save her. He couldn't trust anyone after being double crossed by the Fish.
Old 01-13-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

saw this this afternoon. very powerful and well done movie. really enjoyed myself, definitely a thinking movie. it was interesting that everyone was trying to steal the baby besides the military troops and the entire movie they were portrayed as the bad guys.

caine playing an out there hippie type personality was pretty funny too.
Old 01-13-07, 08:40 PM
Banned

I saw this movie three times, each time it got better and I was still catching new things the third time. I successfully convinced three chinese kids to see this instead of curse of the golden flower I did my job this weekend
Old 01-14-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Did they say that?
Yes, they did say that. It was an actual line of dialogue in the film. I think someone in the FISH group said it when they were discussing what to do.

London was still "alive" because they locked everything down so tightly. They controlled everything, and they definitely would have taken the baby from her mother and used her for their agenda, namely that the draconian measures they had taken were the right thing to do, and if you weren't British you were worthless.

It was implied that London was the only city that was still functioning. The Human Project was a rogue group, and there wasn't going to be a medical convention on this subject. And with the celebrity status of Baby Diego, Dylan would have been the most popular person on the planet by far. Kee would never have seen her baby again.

Maybe not right away, but it would definitely make it harder for the government to say that refugees were less-than-human. That's exactly why Fish wanted the baby.

The Human Project was rumored to be based on an island. They just had a hospital ship too. And what "press buddies?" Is there even a press anymore? And how would they protect the baby in Britain? They couldn't protect her for one day before someone found them. I think getting out of the country was the best decision they could make, because obviously they're was no one who wouldn't have used the baby for their own agenda.

I disagree with all of your issues with the film. If you really want answers to your questions, see the movie again. A lot of your problems are explained pretty well.
Old 01-14-07, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
It was implied that London was the only city that was still functioning. The Human Project was a rogue group, and there wasn't going to be a medical convention on this subject. And with the celebrity status of Baby Diego, Dylan would have been the most popular person on the planet by far. Kee would never have seen her baby again.
Yeah, I agree, which is why we spend so much time with the Baby Diego section
at the beginning and why Owen's father-instincts kick in.

I liked the movie a lot, but my one complaint would be about how some of the religious imagery/symbolism got so heavy-handed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.